Author Topic: Test Rode the new 1250 GS today  (Read 1204 times)

Offline BadgerApaches

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Test Rode the new 1250 GS today
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 01:17:09 pm »
my ex wife used to do the warranty claims for the local BMW shop in Charlotte. BMW is pretty bad these days, i'd never own a modern one, ever. Having seen failures up close and talking to the techs... unreal.

https://www.motorcycle.com/top10/the-10-most-reliable-motorcycle-companies.html/3

Yes. We went through some very expensive minefields before turning to the lawyers and cutting BMW bike ties. That was some years ago, I figured they MAY have improved, giving them the benefit of the doubt.

A quick search tells otherwise. It's gotten worse. Love the Airheads!
Song of the Sausage Creature, adventures of your backroads and beyond! Come up to the camp fire, let's talk a bit.

Offline Daboo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 11:25:57 pm »
The owner of Bob's BMW gave the MOA Owner's News a tour of his museum.  In the magazine article, he was quoted that the new BMWs would last only 10 years before they began falling apart.  And it didn't matter if the bike was ridden, or stored in a garage.  It was just the nature of the electronics and plastics, if I remember right.  It surprised me that the owner of one of the largest BMW dealerships in the country would make a statement like that.

And then the local BMW dealer has a sign in the service department saying they won't work on a bike older than 10 years.

I think they are great bikes.  Their innovation is superb.  But in the quest to make the bike as light as possible, IMHO, they lost the quality control.  I don't own a BMW car, but I hear they spend a lot of time in the dealership. 

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 08:43:04 pm »
Man, I better keep my '80 R-65 huh?  ;D
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline Daboo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 11:20:12 pm »
Yup.  As the saying goes, they don't make them like they used to.  ;)

I was just passing along what someone in the know feels about them.  And the owner of one of the largest BMW dealerships in the country should know what he's talking about.

A fellow BMW owner at church was talking with me on Sunday.  He said when he brought his R1200GS in for yet another fuel strip replacement, he wanted to take a G310 out for a ride.  He couldn't see one, so asked the salesman if one was available.  He was told they have no plans at the moment to bring any more in.  Something about the quality control being really bad and till it was sorted out, no more would be brought in.  That may have just been the normal salesman banter, trying to sound like he had an inside scoop on things, but it makes you wonder.

Chris

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 03:12:39 pm »
This is an interesting group of postings. I'll add to it. I once owned a 1975 R75/5. Good bike, horrible ergonomics for me, I am tall. Since, I have owned many, many bikes, because I love motorcycles. Not one more BMW. Not because I don't care for the brand, or dislike what they build, but mostly from lack of dealer support in the area where I live. In recent times, the friends I have who do ride BMWs spend more time on repairs than anyone else, problems ranging from goofy front brake light switches, ABS problems, driveline recalls and failures, the list goes on. The single most frightening thing about BMW ownership is being tied to the dealership and their computer. A really great local, nearby dealer would cancel some of the inconvenience, but such does not exist everywhere. Not where I live, or many places while traveling.

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 01:05:32 pm »
I agree Buzz, thats the single reason why a BMW or Triumph is not in my future anytime soon here in Cleveland OH, lack of dealers. Man, that Triumph sport tourer was a NICE bike too.
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline Daboo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 04:59:24 pm »
...The single most frightening thing about BMW ownership is being tied to the dealership and their computer. A really great local, nearby dealer would cancel some of the inconvenience, but such does not exist everywhere. Not where I live, or many places while traveling.
Being tied to the BMW dealer's computer does bother me, but that's a feeling I have in general.  Not specific to BMW, though they and some other manufacturers are making that more prevalent.

On my 75 VW Rabbit, there was an oil change reminder that would show up on the dash.  The trick to resetting it, was to push the end of a paperclip into a small hole, if I remember right.  A low tech solution to something useful.  On my BMW, I need to buy an expensive (@ $400) GS-911 tool to reset the service reminder on my dash, or pay my local dealer an hour of shop time at @ $110 per hour to reset it.  On my Suzuki Burgman that I started with several years ago, if you wanted to know what was wrong with the bike, you needed to know what malfunction codes the bike had.  The process was simple.  You could hook up a special tool that the dealer used, or you could jump two pins on a connector with a paper clip and read the code on the dash.  Simple. 

When I go cross-country, I bring my GS-911 with me and the service manual on a DVD.  My hope is that if my bike does break down, I can still get it fixed.

Chris

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:26 pm »
This really has become nothing to do with the new R1250, and has just devolved into a BMW hate post. To each their own, we all have a right to our opinions. I'll not waste my time doing a review here for the new RT.

None of the posts in this thread or "internet wisdom" impacts the high level of satisfaction I have had after decades of owning a BMW, and the same for the dozens of people in my direct line of sight. I've enjoyed good reliability, good dealer support, and the features and performance of my BMW's have always made the long distance trips I have taken even more enjoyable.

I am not dismissing the people that have had bad experiences with BMW's. What I am saying is that those testimonials are not foregone conclusions for every BMW owner. The fact is, there is a much bigger sample size of satisfied owners than their are dissatisfied owners.

Regardless, I'm not a big brand guy or kool-aid drinker or doom and gloom subscriber. Buy what you like and YMMV.         

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 05:08:02 pm »
This really has become nothing to do with the new R1250, and has just devolved into a BMW hate post. To each their own, we all have a right to our opinions. I'll not waste my time doing a review here for the new RT.

None of the posts in this thread or "internet wisdom" impacts the high level of satisfaction I have had after decades of owning a BMW, and the same for the dozens of people in my direct line of sight. I've enjoyed good reliability, good dealer support, and the features and performance of my BMW's have always made the long distance trips I have taken even more enjoyable.

I am not dismissing the people that have had bad experiences with BMW's. What I am saying is that those testimonials are not foregone conclusions for every BMW owner. The fact is, there is a much bigger sample size of satisfied owners than their are dissatisfied owners.

Regardless, I'm not a big brand guy or kool-aid drinker or doom and gloom subscriber. Buy what you like and YMMV.         
Please don't assume that the comments you have received in this thread represent the whole COG community.  Let's not punish the rest of us because of the comments of the few.  I've never owned a BMW and don't have enough knowledge to post a comment positve or negative.  I'm always open to hearing your opinion, or that of another COGGER that has ridden anything that I haven't.  There is always going to be opposing opinions about EVERYTHING.  Put some armor on your feelings and continue to post about whatever you'd like.  An old car salesman I used to work with used to say that there is a butt for every seat.  In this situation, that means that there ARE some that want to hear what you have to say.  When you ride the new RT, please come back and give your review. :motonoises:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline BadgerApaches

• Tricycle
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 02:16:55 am »

For that, I'd be grateful.

No, it's not a BMW hate post, and therein lies the rub with today's BMW BS (MOA) marketing postings on the interwebs.

Several decades ago I met some of my best friends of today, at BMW rallies. Airheads. I still help them get their Airhead fleets out onto the roads every year to keep the bikes running.

BMW NA has ZERO interest in keeping ANY of their heritage bikes alive. Fine, then they sell $25K shiny things that are unfixable. Fine. Don't expect the masses to sit up and beg for more of that manure.

Quality machinery that  a factory stands behind, you bet!! Won't stand behind their own TSB?! Scheisse!!!   
Song of the Sausage Creature, adventures of your backroads and beyond! Come up to the camp fire, let's talk a bit.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 11:45:41 am »
According to the title of this thread, we're supposed to be talking about the test ride of the bike.  There was no questions about BMW as a company.  There is no poll about how satisfied anyone is with the way BMW handles warranty claims.  It's possible to ride a BMW without owning one.  There might be a situation where one would rent one for a short time such as an Alps tour or just flying somewhere and renting for a few days.  Seems to me the OP is being helpful by posting his opinion of RIDING the bike not owning it.  There is nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions in a thread.  That's why we're here.  Could we give the OP a break and talk about RIDING the BMW he took for a test ride?  I'd love to hear others opinions/thoughts on this particular model.  Who else has ridden one?  Tell us what you think of the bike......not BMW or it's business practices.  If that's what is desired, start your own thread about BMW the company. ;)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline m in sc

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 04:29:45 pm »
wait. it was reviewed by the OP, (cool, glad you like it, very cool) which then led to our experiences with the brand. Nobody disputed the review. I fail to see the problem with the following discussion.   If it was going to be a siloed commentary, maybe the admin should lock the thread and delete all replies except the original post.

Offline Daboo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 05:13:20 pm »
I appreciate the reviews.  I enjoy reading another rider's review far more than a motorcycle magazine review.  Most reviews by the motorcycle magazine reviewers could be written by anyone with a knowledge of English and a copy of the manufacturer's press release.

Ken Ash had some outstanding reviews when he was alive.  Those are the best around.  He got into how the bike worked for the real person, even to the point of pointing out the height of the mirrors and their susceptibility of striking car mirrors when filtering.  You won't find that out anywhere.

Jacquelyn, I'll be very interested in your review.  My local dealer lets me take out any bike other than the S1000RR.  I took the RT out last summer for about an hour and a half, so got a decent feel for it.

Chris

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 05:55:47 pm »

If it was going to be a siloed commentary, maybe the admin should lock the thread and delete all replies except the original post.
You have a point there Mark.  I guess the thing to do when making a post such as the OP did, is to state up front in the post that it is a thread only about the riding experience and nothing else.  I have seen that before and it seemed to help. 
The only reason I jumped into this thread was that the OP started a thread about one thing and it turned into something else that was controversial.  The OP wasn't real happy about what the thread turned into because of all the off topic comments.  Once all that happened we ended up with the OP stating: "I'll not waste my time doing a review here for the new RT."  I don't think we'd have heard that if all the posts were on topic.  If all of the off topic posts were in a thread about the BMW dealer experience, then maybe everyone would be happy and I wouldn't be attempting to play peacekeeper.  Being a freaking Libra, I'm cursed with the desire for peace, love and harmony.  Sometimes that works out for me and sometimes not.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 06:21:29 pm »
I appreciate the reviews.  I enjoy reading another rider's review far more than a motorcycle magazine review.  Most reviews by the motorcycle magazine reviewers could be written by anyone with a knowledge of English and a copy of the manufacturer's press release.

Ken Ash had some outstanding reviews when he was alive.  Those are the best around.  He got into how the bike worked for the real person, even to the point of pointing out the height of the mirrors and their susceptibility of striking car mirrors when filtering.  You won't find that out anywhere.

Jacquelyn, I'll be very interested in your review.  My local dealer lets me take out any bike other than the S1000RR.  I took the RT out last summer for about an hour and a half, so got a decent feel for it.

Chris
:iagree:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Jacquelyn

• Bicycle
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 07:08:30 pm »

For that, I'd be grateful.

No, it's not a BMW hate post, and therein lies the rub with today's BMW BS (MOA) marketing postings on the interwebs.

Several decades ago I met some of my best friends of today, at BMW rallies. Airheads. I still help them get their Airhead fleets out onto the roads every year to keep the bikes running.

BMW NA has ZERO interest in keeping ANY of their heritage bikes alive. Fine, then they sell $25K shiny things that are unfixable. Fine. Don't expect the masses to sit up and beg for more of that manure.

Quality machinery that  a factory stands behind, you bet!! Won't stand behind their own TSB?! Scheisse!!!

Yes,  you've covered this multiple times in this thread. Good to have it out in the open though that you'd be "grateful" for an omission of any further reviews on any BMW.   

Not interested in debate, just happy that my experiences with late model BMW's has been the exact polar opposite of yours. Moving on....   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:11:47 pm by Jacquelyn »

Offline BadgerApaches

• Tricycle
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 07:54:13 pm »
I believe there is some exemplary examples of online censorship per BMW motorcycles already, at any BMW MOA forums online; anyone sharing their truth in experience is hastily banned.

Bob's BMW statements per the end of the Corporation are no surprise, as BMW recently (2010 IIRC) announced they will not be going to produce ANY airhead parts for bikes built in the 20th century. Also, an interesting note that late models are good for about 10 years, in HIS professional opinion. 

The Corporation is producing a brand only, which in many cases is unsafe and a fraud. There are some incredible witness statements here that corroborate THAT as well, from INSIDE of dealership personnel doing Tech work and warranty paperwork!! Holy cow, run away! 

As a community of humans first, riders second, why would we want to subject each other to more white washing and self-imposed censorship? The Corporation itself mostly just listens to Lawyers, not riders.

Airhead BMWs rock! Nothing like them or the people that own them! ( These comments were not made with cynicism, pessimism, hate, or any sort of a negative human emotion related to outting the Corporate structures that are dangerous to your riding career and/or health. This message approved by the National Rational Association of Riding Humans, YMMV. )   :beerchug:     

Offline Daboo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 09:10:15 pm »
...Not interested in debate, just happy that my experiences with late model BMW's has been the exact polar opposite of yours. Moving on....   

I may not agree with you :) , but I do appreciate your opinion.  ;)  So do your review, please.

BTW, are you "Jacquelyn", or "Tracy" (Donohue) per your profile?  I'm just not sure who I'm replying to.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:59:49 pm by Daboo »