Author Topic: Time to move on  (Read 3705 times)

Offline longhaul747

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 7527
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Time to move on
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:50:33 am »
I have owned my C10 Concours since December of 2005 and it has been a great motorcycle.  It is still in nearly new shape and well maintained with 13K miles on it.  It would have a lot more as its one of my favorite bikes but I have several others I ride.   13K miles is nothing for these bikes and I expect mine to return many years of good service.

It has been a tough couple of years and I was almost forced to sell it a few times over the years.  As other bikes have come along I have wanted to buy them but just could not.  Its very frustrating when your work terms are basically month to month for year after year.  You have desired to move on and find more stable employment but that is easier said then done for many so I toughened it out. 

Starting about 12 months ago I really started to get the desire to move on to something newer and more modern in design but I just could not.  I got a big announcement yesterday that basically renews my contract for the next 5 years.  So for the first time in ages I now feel confident in upgrading my motorcycle fleet. 

I basically in the market for 3 new bikes and looking to get rid of 4 of them.  I am pretty attached to these bikes and they have been so good to me I feel kind of like a bastard but then I never planned on keeping these bikes around forever.  Not sure if I will start small and work my way up or start big and work my way down.

I am looking to get rid of my Concours C10 for a newer sport touring bike.  The C14 Concours for years was at the top of my list but for some reason it has sort of fell off my list.  Its a great bike I am sure but I just can't seem to get a deal on one so I have starting looking elsewhere.  A dealer near me has a leftover 2012 ST1300 he is willing to let go for $10,900 but not sure on the fees.  The same selling dealer has a 2012 Yamaha FJR1300 for $10,700.  Same story regarding the fees.  I just don't know what bike to pick?  Right now I am leaning towards the Honda ST1300 but I know the FJR1300 does not disappoint.

Up next is my 05 KLR650 and 06 Ninja 500.  I am looking to merge these 2 into 1 motorcycle.  A lot of compromises will have to be made but for the style of riding I do the NC700X or the CB500X.  I like the CB500X more in style and it just seems more traditional motorcycle but I think the NC700X is the better bike long term. 

Last but not least or maybe even first is my 09 KLX250S.  I bought this from a friends friend for a pretty darn good price.  It has low mileage but it spent a lot of time off road and it shows it.  Also never been a fan of how difficult the bike is to live with.  I like the concept but don't much care for this particular sample.  I am thinking of swapping it for a CRF250L now that they are readily available.  In some ways the KLX250S is the better bike but I think the CRF250L is the better every day bike. 

Not much else to share.  Just looking for opinions on my move?  I plan to remain a COG member just because of the support and the size of the community.  Heck I may end up with a C14 after all if a deal comes along.  Another option is I may kick this down field a bit and see what else is coming along.  This might not be a bad option because things are heating up in the motorcycle world and by waiting may yield more desirable results.  Then again anything that new will command top dollar.   

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9584
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Time to move on
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:53:41 am »
I guess the question you need to ask yourself is...What do you want the bike to do for you?

If the Concours can't do it, which I find difficult as the bike will do most things on pavement and some on gravel, then maybe you do need something else. She is not the prettiest girl at the party, but she can keep you happy for the long haul. And she can dance with the best of them if you give her the right wheels and tires. I heard long ago that having a peasant girl and treating her right will give you a lifetime of happiness in comparison to having the prettiest girl who requires endless maintenance and considerable upkeep. (could be the fermentation bleeding through the fingers here)

I know of at least two fellas here that have a C14 and a C10 and they both ride the C10 more than the C14. I think they call that utilitarian. Utilitarian looks good in dark blue, but I am biased.

Not sure if that helps,
Handyman
RWTW, COBDR, SM 500, BVF...

'14 S10, '06 C10, '07 D650, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:34:56 am »
The value of your C10 leveled off. It no longer depreciates. Keeping it doesn't cost you anything at this point. If it's solid with no issues, well, just think, you got something solid. It makes a great spare bike. I suggest you keep it.
ASE Certified mechanic.
Former CCS/WERA licensed racer #51.
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden
"Political correctness dumbs down our society because idiots come away propagating their beliefs as though they are correct" Douglas Re

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:37:25 am »
The value of your C10 leveled off. It no longer depreciates. Keeping it doesn't cost you anything at this point. If it's solid with no issues, well, just think, you got something solid. It makes a great spare bike. I suggest you keep it.

^^^that
KiPass!

Offline Kap

• Road Bike
  • Orange County CA
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11166
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:13:25 am »
Chris, your story is close to what happened with my C14 purchase....  I was on a C10 (but I only had mine a short time to see if I really wanted to get back into biking).  I decided I liked it and was going to upgrade and move on to a new bike.  I targeted the BMW 1600GT, Yamaha FJR, Honda (both the ST and the Wing), and Connie.

• BMW - Too much electronics and more than I wanted to spend.  Heard of troubles with the left side electronic controls.
  • Honda ST - It's discontinued, I didn't want one that was no longer in production.
  • Honda Wing - Didn't like the full Wings' size and I was looking at the F6B. I liked it a lot.  BUT, when I tried to test one it took two people to fight it out of a tight spot where it could be tested.  They were bitching that the F6B didn't have a reverse and how d@mn stupid Honda was to take it off the F6B.  I sat on it ready to test and never pulled it out on the road.  I tried to push it backwards up a small hill and move it around and it was not easy.  It was just too much for the parking area I was planning to use.  (to be honest, the C14 is a tight fit, the C10 was just right).
  • Yamaha FJR - (I was now down to Connie and FJR and it was a close race).  I found a new 2011 for cheap.  But, in 2013 there was a redesign and everyone except Yamaha said the new model was MUCH better and not to get the older one.  So when I went to look at the 2013 and 2014 FJRs.  I didn't see the advantages in the 2014 and the 2013s were discounted nicely, however, the costs were almost identical to the Kawi by the time a Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer put a pencil to it.
  • Connie - I liked the feel of Connie better and I really wanted a tire monitor system factory mounted.  I would have gladly traded the FJR's cruise for tire monitoring as a low tire at higher speeds scares me.  I raced a Kawi dirt bike when I was in high school and rode an "LTD" before my kids were born.     
  • The bike that was not on my list and might have given the C14 a race was the Versys (Black 2012).  There were a couple of them (one new and one with 500 miles) at great prices, but I thought I needed the additional engine that the C14 provided.  Based on how slow I ride, I would have been find with the Versys. 

As for the C10, keep that dude if you can.  I traded mine to avoid having the wife beat me to death while I sleep :o but if not for that I sure would have kept it. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:17:19 am by Kap »
Kap - 2013 Voyager ("Lazy Boy II") / 2010 Vulcan Classic ("Red")
"Everyone tells me I should get in shape... Round is a shape, isn't it?"

Offline longhaul747

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:37:07 am »
That is the funny thing.  I have ran into a fair number of C10 to C14 converters and after about the 1st week of owning the C14 they kind of missed the C10 and more then a few of them down right disliked the C14 and sorely miss the C10.  For some reason that kind of turned me off the C14 even though I still think its a cool bike.  I am sure plenty of C14 owners dig it and more then a few who have converted over don't miss the C10. 

One of my goals is to get a Sport Touring Class of bike that has the same utilitarian nature as the C10 in a more modern package.  So far the closest is the ST1300.  I am not so concerned about it being discontinued but it does mean parts supply could dry up a little sooner.  I think they are so solid this is not really an issue but it could be.       

The problem I see with both the ST1300 and the FJR is the price of admission.  I am just not fully satisfied with what I see and for what these bikes cost its pretty darn critical being 100% satisfied with what you choose. 

One thing is as you get older and go through life especially one as rocky as the past 5 years you tend to realize that what you have is just fine and you don't need the latest and the greatest.  It was never that bad and I held up better then many but it was a wake up call.  Also I find myself emotionally attached to my motorcycles more then ever.  Buying new just breaks that attachment and it seems more difficult to build a new one. 

Just yesterday I was going here, there and everywhere on the KLR and all day long I was saying how good of a bike it is and it gets the job done just fine.  Plus its payed for and still looks and runs like new.

I am not sure what I am going to do?  Still would like to get more modern bikes but its a huge endeavor that is for sure.  Also still need to get WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).  She usually stays out of it but she see's what I got and what the new bikes cost and she thinks the whole thing now is a racket.       

Offline Kap

• Road Bike
  • Orange County CA
  • COG#: 11166
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:52:23 am »
The C10 is a classic, that is not in doubt.  I wasn't on one for long, but had my eyes on buying one since 2005 (I wanted a new one then and the wife blocked the buy).  Just last summer I purchased a budget priced 2006 model as a test to see if I wanted to start riding again.  It was in nice shape, so it was a great way to get restarted after 20 years.  Once I made the decision to ride, I had wife approval for an update as long as I got enough funds from the 2006 model (that was nice).  HOWEVER, there would not be two bikes in the house, only one.     

One ride on a C14 and I was sold.  It just felt safer.  Maybe it was because it was new, I don't know but I took off doing what I thought was about 45 MPH and looked down and I was cruising at 70 (even with a lot more wind from a stock C14 shield vs. the large Rifle shield I had on the C10.

Whatever you do, take your time and don't settle.  If you settle, then you will always be looking back.     
Kap - 2013 Voyager ("Lazy Boy II") / 2010 Vulcan Classic ("Red")
"Everyone tells me I should get in shape... Round is a shape, isn't it?"

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:24:22 am »
 One comment I have read many times is the regret of selling the kLR 650. Sure it is outclassed in most ways but still does the ADV thing for me reliably.
 I recently purchased a '08 Suz B King and do enjoy the upgrade.
 I will be taking the C10 Sat from Tacoma to the Vancouver MC show tho.

Offline Tundra Tom

• Street Cruiser
  • XLR8
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8925
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:39:50 pm »
I honestly can't tell you what is right for you. Personally of those 3 ST's I'd pick the FJR, and I own a C-14 and have ridden all 3 extensively.
What I can say is just do it. Life is fleeting, regret is a wasted emotion, You have obviously worked hard enough to buy yourself a newer Motorcycle.
Long ago I had a 1985 Honda CB700SC (Nighthawk S) and rode the bejesus out of it for over 10 years. About that time the Suzuki Bandit 1200S came out and I wrang my hands and mulled over getting rid of my beloved Honda which, in the end, is simply a inanimate object that I derived great pleasure from. I bought the B-12, sold the CB and never looked back. Take your time (not too much), try a few out, buy something the head and heart agree upon and ride it long and hard.
"When my time has come I'd rather be in the Saddle then the Recliner"
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
1975 Norton 850 Commando
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Yes, I ride all four of them.:)

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 01:40:51 pm »
That is the funny thing.  I have ran into a fair number of C10 to C14 converters and after about the 1st week of owning the C14 they kind of missed the C10 and more then a few of them down right disliked the C14 and sorely miss the C10.  For some reason that kind of turned me off the C14 even though I still think its a cool bike.  I am sure plenty of C14 owners dig it and more then a few who have converted over don't miss the C10. 

That feedback is interesting.  as a recent convert, I'm loving the 14.  I will miss my C10, but the 14 is just a totally better package.  Did any of the converts give you specific feedback that disappointed them?

As to the other bikes, they style of your riding might come into play.  I view the ST13 as more tour oriented and not so aggressive.  the FJR is basically a push between it and the C14.  so similar that they are pretty much equal in my mind.  I've ridden both now.  I MIGHT pick the FJR if the price was the same, but given the value proposition of the 14, I'm very pleased with mine.  (for reference, I got an '11 with 9500 miles for $8750).  The ST13 would be more on the comfort and ergonomics side better (IMO).

At the end of the day, I hope you find the right bike to make YOU happy.  that's what matters!   :great:

Offline Paulie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 4561
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 02:04:00 pm »
I'd say go to some kinda show/event thingy & take some demo rides on any skooters yer interested in.

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »
I bought my 2003 Concours in the summer of 2002. At the time of my 20 mile test ride (on a silver 2002 model) my thoughts were "I can work with this". Most attractive was the base price ($8299.00 I believe) compared to $3000 more for the ST1100 (which I didn't like).

I had yet to learn of the Concours legacy of solid dependability and general touring comfort over the long haul. Even as I was in the process of buying it I generally classified it as somewhat utilitarian rather than a sparkling performer in any given category. Solid but not all that inspiring.

Then about five years later I started itching for more modern attributes (power, handling, braking). Rather than consider a new motorcycle (none of the available bikes at the time appealed to me) I built the ZGRX. This went a long, long way towards satisfying my desires (and still does). But I became a bit tired of the old tech, maintenance, parts availability and started worrying about something big breaking in the middle of Nevada or something. Not that I have any reason to, this bike is still singing along like always.

But I'm 64 years old now. Crawling all over motorcycles to maintain them and continue to work on performance or convenience enhancements is just not as appealing as it was when I was younger. Then Yamaha announced improvements on the 2013 FJR (Gen III) that really caught my eye. Everything was there except the color (and the fact that I was still a contract consultant with the inherent instability that comes with it). Then last February I was offered a full time position at the company I was contracting with (a much better position as well). I let the decision stew for six months or so but began to get a bit itchy. Then they came out with the 2014 in Candy Red and it was all over.

The ZGRX has not been on the road since August or so when I removed the rear tire for replacement. It is still sitting there covered in dust and cobwebs. I can tell you from personal experience that as good as the ZGRX is, I will miss nothing it has to offer since I got the FJR in November. It does all things much, much better with the possible exception of the saddlebag size. But I'm not going to be hauling the kitchen sink on this bike, my list of touring gear will be much smaller and simpler anyway.

All I can say is follow your heart. Take your time and don't get anything if nothing steals it. I don't make major motorcycle decisions very often (every 10-15 years maybe) and it took this long for me to shift over to a modern bike. But all the stars and planets had to align for me to do this and feel comfortable. I would still be totally satisfied with the ZGRX if nothing stirred my fancy right now but I did find myself losing interest in riding in general.

It's all back now, I feel like a kid again. And I am planning a few major adventures I don't think I would consider on a C10 or the ZGRX (Three Flags Ride for one).

Test riding will help. Studying the owners forums is another great resource, I did this for months before locking in the decision. I pay almost no attention to published reports from the rags, none of the road tests are written by motorcyclists that have anything in common with the way I ride anyway. I read them from time to time but take everything they say with a grain of salt. They are a bit too removed from everyday reality in my opinion.

At this point for me I have zero regrets and I can't wait to take the FJR out for local rides at every chance I get. Still adjusting it for the long haul but it will be ready when the prime riding season is upon us.

The Honda ST1300 is an outstanding motorcycle in many ways but Honda seems to have abandoned this model. It has not changed since introduction in 2003, Gen I all the way. It still has loyal owners but the ST1300 fraternity is getting pretty impatient for something new. Many feel it won't happen and are jumping ship (to the FJR, C14, BMW, etc.).

The price of admission is a concern, it was for me. But they all cost about the same, some more than others. This was the first time, though, that I insisted on flexibility in pricing and fees. I went in expressing my interest but would go no further if they were not willing to negotiate in good faith. The dealer I bought my FJR from is a long time outfit with low overhead and a huge business in boats and ATVs, street motorcycles were a small corner of the business. We lined up immediately and the rest is history.

Keep us posted...

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 04:26:53 pm »

I'd go with the FJR hands-down!  The seat on the ST is a P.I.T.A. & the sound feedback from the motor reminds me of a coffee grinder, so much so, that I named the ST13 we rented: "Mr. Krups".  No soul to the ST either :(

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 08:19:06 pm »
You might want to check www.cycletrader.com they've listed a 12 for 11,300 and a 13 for 11999, both are new bikes.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!

Offline longhaul747

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 03:58:56 am »
Thank You all for the feed back!

Right now I have put myself in a holding pattern at least on the bigger bike.  Something will happen at some point but I am awaiting to see what comes along that is used (or new if they price it right).  I still like the ST1300 more but I need to ride one before I know for sure.  One thing that has officially turned me off of the 2012 is I am not the biggest fan of any black vehicle.  I have nothing against the color but they just show so much dirt and every scratch.  A bike that gets a lot of real use like a sport touring bike will look pretty beat up sooner then it should.  Also the $10,900 2012 ST1300 ended up being in the neighborhood of $16,500 out the door.  I guess they really can't hide the fact that its a $17,000 or $18,000 motorcycle!

Problem is the ST1300 for some reason holds its value really well in my market.  Especially a good clean lower mileage unit.  Every once in a while though one will come a long.  Seen a few older ones in very good shape and low miles for well under 10 grand early in the fall season last year.  However prices seem to already have bumped up.

The 2012 FJR deal is a little more genuine but that would be about $13,500 OTD.  I could do that if I really wanted but it just seems like an insane amount of money.  These fees are pretty outrageous now and ruin the whole deal in my opinion.   

I may kick this down field until next fall when dealers get desperate and try for new or try and get a good deal on used.  It seems the best deals are early in the fall just when the weather turns for the worst.  Its still a bit early but they have already primed some of the pricing and the really good deals have already slipped away.  You can just forget the Spring-Summer if you want a good deal.

Offline Joe S.

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10862
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 05:12:27 am »
I m one of the people of the world who believe that 'practical' and 'motorcycle' don't belong in the same sentence.  I believe in buying bikes based on the 'woody test'.  No wood, no buy.  There is no certainty of what will pass this test but when it does, its time to get it.
Thats how I came to get the C14, it passed the test.
I'd get whatever passes the test.  The wood will not fail you. 
'14 HD FLHR, '12 C14
'11 650 Vstrom, '09 HD XR1200
'01 HD FXD, '79 BMW R100

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 03:09:18 pm »
I m one of the people of the world who believe that 'practical' and 'motorcycle' don't belong in the same sentence.  I believe in buying bikes based on the 'woody test'.  No wood, no buy.  There is no certainty of what will pass this test but when it does, its time to get it.

A STIFF +1 on that !
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline JeffP

• Jeff In NC
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 10856
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 03:35:03 pm »
^^^^^ +1 here too!
2008 Neutron Silver C14
2007 Honda CRF250R

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »

A STIFF +1 on that !
Matt

Oh....is THAT what that was?   :))

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 03:53:06 pm »

A STIFF +1 on that !
Matt

Oh....is THAT what that was?   :))

TechSpec will cover the dent on the tank...  ;) :)

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 10:02:04 pm »
Two things I need to ask here. One, you talk of "fees" when you buy a bike, $5000 in "fees" on a $11,000 bike making it $16,000. Pardon my sarcasm and my public school math but $5000 in "fees" makes a $16,000 bike a $16,000 bike, not $11,000, why advertise a $16,000 bike for $11,000? Is this some sales tactic in your area that makes folks think they are getting a bike for $11,000? Two, and this is most important and was surprised no one else has asked it yet, ok, you are getting a new bike, BUT, you aren't leaving here are you? ;D
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 12:29:54 am »
I dunno,
I only had to pay tax, tags, reg, dealer transfer, insurance, service contract, and 3 yr extended warranty. I was out the door at @16K on 13K and change to start.
Matt
2011 GSX1250 FA
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 12:49:16 am »
If I remember correctly, in 2002, I paid $7200 for my C-10, 7% taxes=$500, tags, $26, registration, I can't remember but it was under $50, adding it to my insurance with my other bikes was under $100, no extended service. $675, so even if you forward that to today and account for a bike that costs almost double, that's only another $500 in taxes only, all other stuff is the same. So $14,000=$1700, ok, almost $2000, but $5000? Are there other "fees" charged in other areas, dealer fees, road taxes, green taxes, dealer set up?  Can they advertise that way, or do they just say "plus fees" when they advertise a price on a vehicle.
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 11:31:46 am »
strawboss,
Around here, (Wash dc area), it is always listed as plus taxes,title,dealer fees, etc etc etc etc etc etc. Mine was 6% tax, @ 200$ for reg, 20$ title transfer, dealer setup was something like 475$ service contract was 200$ for lifetime oil changes, extended warranty was 500$ or so.
Matt

2011 GSX1250 FA
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline agia

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 4963
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »
Interesting thread.  I rode a 2000 C10 for 7 years.  Loved that bike and never let me down.  But I eventually sold it to get a new 2007 ST1300A.  Rode the Honda for 7 years.  Nice bike and smooth as glass.  However, it let me down twice with back to back water pump leaks.  Now that I'm in my "later 50s", I decided it was time to move down to the middleweight bikes and I settled on a NC700X.
Tony
COG #4963