Author Topic: Time to start looking...  (Read 8946 times)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Time to start looking...
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:26 pm »
Have you done any reading on the Stromtroopers.com website? Those guys apparently do some long distance riding. Biggest issues seem to be sprockets and chains, but that's universal and not particularly a big problem.

I understand the "try on" thing. That's the way we tall people buy buy cars, too. Can't tell you how many "nice" cars don't give me legroom, headroom, etc. and I have to walk away from them. I drive trucks, SUV's, and so forth for the headroom. My F250 is the only vehicle I've ever had that I don't have put the seat all the way to the end of the tracks.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline BigJoeVA68

• Road Bike
  • Join the Dark Side. We have farkles. And cookies.
    • Facebook Page
  • COG#: 8608
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:42 pm »
Have you done any reading on the Stromtroopers.com website? Those guys apparently do some long distance riding. Biggest issues seem to be sprockets and chains, but that's universal and not particularly a big problem.

Not yet, but I plan on taking a look soon.

I understand the "try on" thing. That's the way we tall people buy buy cars, too. Can't tell you how many "nice" cars don't give me legroom, headroom, etc. and I have to walk away from them. I drive trucks, SUV's, and so forth for the headroom. My F250 is the only vehicle I've ever had that I don't have put the seat all the way to the end of the tracks.

Same here. The Jeep is tight on the legs, but a bunch of head room. May be trading that in soon, the gas expense is killing me here. I didn't drive much at all in Texas, but here I have to drive all over the place. Looking at maybe a crossover, if I can find one that fits...The Mazda CX-5 looks pretty sharp, but don't know if I want a new car payment...Of course if I get a bike sooner rather than later, the gas expense may balance out even with the Jeep...
- Joe - Alpharetta, GA   * COG# 8608 * VFW Post 6330 * NRA Life Member * GOA Member

2006 Concours "Connie" (Yeah, I know, "How original.") *SOLD*
2012 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom "Dejah" *FOR SALE*

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:00 pm »
I pass the Atlanta Falcons camp in Flowery Branch at least once a week and during the season, you see a lot of Tahoes and trucks in the lot. Those guys are all about  your size. Good luck. I've always wished for a 4 liter turbo diesel F-150. Maybe someday. I find that cars made for Americans and Europeans tend to be larger inside than Asian cars. That said, we've got one Ford, one Toyota, one Mitsu, and one Nissan here at the house. My son (6'6") drives a Ford Explorer that I bought off a local Doctor who's also 6'4".

I understand the gas thing. I filled up the Ford today and got 4 extra gallons in my 5 gal bike reserve that I keep in the garage and it was a cool $100. Just da**!

I filled Connie up Saturday for $15 but it was already half full.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline tim_cannon

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 12:33:27 am »
This is a tool for comparing ergonomics between different motorcycles.

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Tim
'05 (el Chaparral)

Offline BigJoeVA68

• Road Bike
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 12:58:33 am »
That is cool! Bandit is definitely out. LOL!
- Joe - Alpharetta, GA   * COG# 8608 * VFW Post 6330 * NRA Life Member * GOA Member

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 01:08:40 am »
Saw one at the RWTW and thought of you and came to the same conclusion. Good call.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 04:48:32 pm »

I didn't see it mentioned, but check out the R1200GS BMW also. Lots of leg room for us larger riders too! The newer ones have over 100 hp & IIRC, they're at least 50 lbs lighter than the C10. Lots of suspension travel & of course that great BMW attitude that comes free w/ the bike.. :D
On the downside, there is that little rear drive bearing failure issue that BMW won't admit to, but it's only as frequent in the GS series as the k-pass issue or drive shaft clunk in the C14... :-\

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 08:21:46 pm »
The GS beemers are also pretty expensive  :-\.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!

Offline ReserveBum

• Tricycle
  • 04 Connie w/grey saddle COG # 9744
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9744
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »
+ 1 on this....very cool

"This is a tool for comparing ergonomics between different motorcycles."

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Offline Joe - RI

• Bicycle
  • Silver is quicker
  • COG#: 9736
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 04:55:26 pm »
Look at my post on Emporium. 2011 C 14.
COG# 9736
CDA# 0363 (2)

2011 C14 Silver&Black baby
1991 HD Sportster

Offline BigJoeVA68

• Road Bike
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 10:31:14 am »
Sorry for my absence, the new job has been keeping me pretty busy. Not to mention my new lifestyle, close to family and civilization!

I had to trade in my beloved Rubi for a much better gas mileage vehicle, so this has slowed down my search for a new mount because new car payments took a chunk out of my farkle money...but, the 0% interest deal with Suzuki someone posted got my attention...So I am thinking about taking a look even though I always said I wouldn't buy new...

Looking at 2 models, the V-Strom 1000 (obviously) as well as the GSX1250FA. Ergo on the V seems the best for my height (love that website!) but the GSX ergo seems close to the Connie's...any thoughts on the GSX as a choice for a big & tall like me? Also, anyone taken a GSX apart, it does have a bit of faring, but not as much as a C14...

Thanks again for all the insight! :)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 05:33:25 pm »
Sorry you had to get rid of the Rubi. I saw  that in Rome and it was a nice ride. I looked long and hard at the DL1000 before I bought the Connie 'cause I really like the way it fits a tall guy. I just didn't have the cash to put into it right then, but I still find myself looking at them.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Jeff

• Mini Bike
  • www.cmausa.org
    • M-Riders
  • COG#: 9985
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 12:53:21 am »
Consider a Bandit 1250 with optional bags and lowers.  if your riding is 1-up, it might be a good choice.  I prefer the body of the older 07 and 08 models than the new ones.

Yes!  This was also my first thought as I read your post.  Nowhere near the weather protection of the C10 but how often are you really THAT caught out in bad weather?  Maybe sometimes, but with some Frogg Toggs in the bag, no big deal.  Like the C10, the Bandit is proven tech with huge aftermarket and fanatical base.  The ZRX would be another one; I'm sure you've thought of it already.  Seems like better used prices for the Bandit than the ZRX, from what I've seen...ZRX guys apparently more proud of their rides.  Pick up a cheap Bandit 1200 or 1250, drop a grand on nice bags and you've got a stump puller you could ride anywhere.  Comfy, upright, sporty.  Classic UJM.  Personally, I'd go ZRX but they're hard to find at a good price.
'99 VFR, '06 DRZ400SM, '03 C10 "Stink"
CMA member (Chapter 619)

Offline BigJoeVA68

• Road Bike
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 02:29:36 am »
Well, the dealer made me an offer I couldn't  refuse...I pick up my new DL1000 Tuesday!  :motonoises:

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 07:53:16 am »
Congrats Joe. I like the color scheme. How about a full on photo when you pick her up.  :great:

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 10:36:57 pm »
 :beerchug:

Yeah Buddy!!!

BUT.... :TPIWWP:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:46 pm »
Gnarly, Joe, that is great news. How are you going to stand having to wait until Tuesday? That's gotta be torture.

Dan

BTW, we expect a full report with pictures!
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline BigJoeVA68

• Road Bike
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 12:14:01 am »
It is torture, but the weather is making it a bit easier, raining most of the time until then.  ::)

I promise full pictures and a ride report as soon as I can.  :motonoises:

There is nothing quite like the look of a big goob like me giddy with excitement!  :)

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 10:00:20 am »
Sooper Duper! :whoo: :1rij:   :motonoises:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 09:16:59 pm »
Shoot, it's not even my bike and I can't wait!!! Whoee!!!!  It's "Not Christmas!!!"
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline BigJoeVA68

• Road Bike
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 11:48:58 pm »
This is typical of Lafoon luck...

So...I ordered my gear on Sunday and paid the extra for overnight shipping, knowing that I was supposed to pick up my new girl today...Apparently, "overnight" means "four days" in some language I am not familiar with...but all was looking good, because when I checked the shipping status this morning at 7:30am, it said "Out for Delivery."

12 hours later...It isn't at home.  :-[

I dig through my still-packed stuff and find my old helmet, but I have no riding jacket. I burned mine before I left Texas because it was seriously ratty. I always ride ATGATT, and now I have no armor. I donned a long sleeve shirt and hoped for the best...

My brother drove me to the dealership, and when we arrived my salesman said they were charging the battery and it would be a bit. We wandered around drooling on other motorcycles. My brother was fascinated with the Can-Am Spyder they had (he doesn't ride). After about 15 minutes, my salesman comes out and says he hates to break it to me, but when they started the bike it smoked a bit.  :o

Since they were getting ready to close, he said he would rather keep it until tomorrow and let a tech check it out just in case it isn't just the packing grease burning off.  >:(

Well, maybe this is God's way of making sure I have all my gear, because when we got home, my sister-in-law said the gear arrived 10 minutes after we left.  ::)

So, I didn't even get to sit on it and  make vroom vroom noises.  :'(

But my brand new Shoei Neotec and Tourmaster mesh gear arrived. And the Neotec has that Pinlock thingee everyone seems to be talking about, so I get to figure out what that is tonight...and then try again tomorrow. Please say a little prayer to the cycle gawds that I ain't getting a lemon...

Here's hoping tomorrow is a better cycle day!  :motonoises:

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2012, 12:33:12 am »
Aw Joe, that just sux!! Tomorrow will be better.
Ron
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 12:35:24 am »
Man, that's tough but I can relate.

After weeks of searching the Harley-Davidson dealers in the Bay Area, we finally found the exact 1968 Sportster XLCH I had been looking for. My Dad had driven me all over kingdom come looking for it and we found it at Bernie & Sons in Belmont. Price was even better than others had quoted but nobody else took us seriously enough to try to find one for us. I was specific, it had to be Candy Blue in color with all the options (dual exhaust, tachometer, aluminum wheels, chrome accessory kit, etc.).

The day came to pick it up and it was raining pitchforks and axe handles. We had to take the truck with the camper on it to go get it, I couldn't even ride it home. When we got home, all I could do was start it up in the garage and let it idle until it got up to temperature and shut it off. This went on for a day or so. I had never been tortured like that before.

So, I can relate. I hope all is well with the bike and they don't have to go into the engine to find out what is wrong.

Keep us up to date.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 01:09:03 am »
I'm tickled fer ya Joe.  I'm also VERY glad you didn't get to ride witout the gear today.  I'll sure take it as a sign.   :)

Be safe and I look forward to those giddy pix.  You rock buddy!   :great: :beerchug:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline BigJoeVA68

• Road Bike
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 02:22:33 am »
Well I finally Finally FINALLY got to ride 'er home today!

(No, she really isn't that small, I am really THAT big.)

I only put about 10 miles on her getting her home. First impressions: Definitely NOT a Connie. Feels like a bicycle, sounds like a souped up chainsaw, and the power band (obviously) is way different. Gotta get used to that. Stalled four times on the way home...

Lots of wind noise in the new helmet, too, with no real windscreen. What little there is, is adjustable, I will have to see how high it goes. Gotta remember the ear plugs.

The seating position for me is like sitting in a chair, my legs are nearly at 90* when I put them on the pegs. Very comfortable position for the ride home, but I wonder about long days, I am nearly straight up on the spine. I think the bars are adjustable, though, so maybe move them a bit forward for a bit more forward lean.

I know the numbers say the V is only 100 lbs or so lighter than the C-10, but I am telling ya, it feels like a moped. I haven't wound her up yet being the break in period and all...

I dunno...I am going to have to warm up to her, I think...

But is sure feels good to be on two wheels again!  :motonoises: :great: