Author Topic: What have you done to your _______(insert other bike here) today?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Just for grins I thought this might get to be a cool thread. I'm thinkin' start off with the bike you're posting about at the beginning.

Me first..  ;)

Versys650LT

Yesterday I installed a do it yourself seat from Seat Concepts. I only rode it two miles, but(t) should be good. Going on a 175 mile RTE on Sunday, should be a better test.

Oh, and BTW, the seat (foam, new cover, plastic rain guard) was $205 to my door. It took about an hour to install the goodies.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Speedy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: What have you done to your _______(insert other bike here) today?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:26:05 pm »
SteveJ,

I too have a Seat Concepts seat on my Yamaha FZ09 and its a great value.  I pinged them about doing one for the Connie a couple of weeks ago and they indicated that they currently did not have enough interest to justify the mold costs.  I think if they'd hang around here they might get a better sense of the potential demand.  There are some good options available, but to my knowledge all are more expensive...
2012 Connie - Black is Beautiful! - Current (EVO Flashed)
2015 FZ09 - Matte Grey - Current
2001 CBR 929 RR - Sold
1995 CBR 600 F3 - Sold
1984 VF 700 F - Sold

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:43:57 pm »
Are bicycles you peddle also in play here?
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:15:00 pm »
I'm not sure where to post this one.  last night I got an axle and wheel from a 1200 goldwing and test-fit them to my leading link front end.  eventually this front end will be installed on my C10 along with building the framework to attach a sidecar.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:27:01 pm »
Are bicycles you peddle also in play here?

That would make a cool topic on it's own, just to keep the separate interests separate.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
IBA 19221

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 04:27:47 pm »
I'm not sure where to post this one.  last night I got an axle and wheel from a 1200 goldwing and test-fit them to my leading link front end.  eventually this front end will be installed on my C10 along with building the framework to attach a sidecar.

Cool project.
IBA 19221

Online Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:50 pm »
2016 HD Tri Glide Ultra ..... heated touring seat, heated grips, air suspension controller, hitch, cup holder, twin Angel bells, deer whistles, second aux power lighted switch (will eventually turn the flood lights on the back of the trailer on so I can where I'm backing in the dark).  Baker Drivetrain F6R mechanical 6 speed with reverse. Seat bag. Rack bag. Trunk and tour pak luggage. Reel-up trunk door tethers. Windscreen pouches. Highway pegs. LED tour pak rack that does turns, brakes, and running light. Probably something else...

What did I get for it? A J&S Jacks pneumatic trike lift and a Kobolt air compressor. Travel cover. Garage/outdoor storage cover.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 10:55:56 pm »
2016 HD Tri Glide Ultra ..... heated touring seat, heated grips, air suspension controller, hitch, cup holder, twin Angel bells, deer whistles, second aux power lighted switch (will eventually turn the flood lights on the back of the trailer on so I can where I'm backing in the dark).  Baker Drivetrain F6R mechanical 6 speed with reverse. Seat bag. Rack bag. Trunk and tour pak luggage. Reel-up trunk door tethers. Windscreen pouches. Highway pegs. LED tour pak rack that does turns, brakes, and running light. Probably something else...

What did I get for it? A J&S Jacks pneumatic trike lift and a Kobolt air compressor. Travel cover. Garage/outdoor storage cover.

Wow! You surely got a lot of farkling done today. I'm impressed. (But I do impress easily.)  ;) :beerchug:
IBA 19221

Online Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 11:30:42 pm »

Wow! You surely got a lot of farkling done today. I'm impressed. (But I do impress easily.)  ;) :beerchug:

Naw, catching up. This is the first thread about this which asked about other than Connies.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 05:56:50 pm »
Versys650LT

Washed it. :-\

Added tank vent/drain breather hose. After removing the evap cannister a source related to the interweb that one outlet was to be plugged. Wrong. Had water under gas cap when I got fuel. Dumped in a bit of iso Heet just to be on the safe side.
IBA 19221

Offline Goldfingers

• Section Moderator
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 06:14:04 am »
it's no what I've done but what I'm going to do to the 900. I have in my hot little hands a petcock rebuild kit, a float needle and seat for carb #3 and new black screws for the carb clamps. After those parts get installed it's time to break out the carb tune and sync the carbs. It's been too cold to turn on the garage heat.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14 I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline txfatboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9540
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »
I'll chime in. 2014 Vmax. Started a significant winter project. I am currently installing:
Braided SS front and rear brake lines along with clutch line.
Power Commander 5 (PC V), PC v ignition module, PC V Auto tuner, PC V ignition module, PC V display pod
CO2 powered air shifter, modified horn wiring so that the horn button can be used to shift
Modified wiring for clutch switch to allow launch control (rev limit at launch)
Modified air box, added 2 additional K&N air filters
Converting to Bi-Xenon HID headlight (same set-up I have been running on the Connie for years)
Adding 2 LED driving lights
Switching turn signals to slightly smaller, better looking LED, with the LED flasher
Adding a "dead man" switch.... required when you run in the 9's in the quarter mile
switched over to bar-end mirrors
Woody

2014 V-Max Matt Gray, air box and exhaust mods, reflashed ECU, now over 200 hp. Currently accepting donations for rear tire money.......
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels, modified swing arm, ZRX1200 forks with full race tech gold valves a springs  and 6pot Calipers, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and running lights.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 03:52:04 pm »
I'll chime in. 2014 Vmax. Started a significant winter project. I am currently installing:
Power Commander 5 (PC V), PC v ignition module, PC V Auto tuner, PC V ignition module, PC V display pod
CO2 powered air shifter, modified horn wiring so that the horn button can be used to shift
Converting to Bi-Xenon HID headlight (same set-up I have been running on the Connie for years)
Switching turn signals to slightly smaller, better looking LED, with the LED flasher
Adding a "dead man" switch.... required when you run in the 9's in the quarter mile

Nice project.
IBA 19221

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11206
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 12:33:39 am »
Ah, did some engine cleaning and put my refurbished starter motor back on my 1970 CL350 Honda, and it (the starter motor)now works! Next I want to do a compression test, if it passes (and I believe it will) then I will keep throwing money and time at it as I plan to then keep it.  Need to put the pipes back on, take the forks off again, did not have the correct seals first time, try to do more cleaning, not quite happy with the carbs yet, wish these things had vacuum ports to set the carbs.

Offline smithr1

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:35 pm »
I sold it.  I no longer have a KLR.   I am kind of sad but used the sale of the C10 and KLR for buying my C14.  Now I have owned 4 Concours that I have not had to pay more than $4k out of pocket for and ridden them over 200k miles.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 07:57:06 pm »
Ah, did some engine cleaning and put my refurbished starter motor back on my 1970 CL350 Honda, and it (the starter motor)now works! Next I want to do a compression test, if it passes (and I believe it will) then I will keep throwing money and time at it as I plan to then keep it.  Need to put the pipes back on, take the forks off again, did not have the correct seals first time, try to do more cleaning, not quite happy with the carbs yet, wish these things had vacuum ports to set the carbs.

Hey Don. Glad to see it's coming along.
IBA 19221

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11206
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 03:10:54 am »
Thanks Steve, did the compression test Monday and the old Honda passed with flying colors, 170 psi in each cylinder!   

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 06:16:33 am »

Thanks Steve, did the compression test Monday and the old Honda passed with flying colors, 170 psi in each cylinder!

:great: :beerchug:
IBA 19221

Online stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 01:53:57 pm »
Versys650LT

Added tank vent/drain breather hose. After removing the evap cannister a source related to the interweb that one outlet was to be plugged. Wrong. Had water under gas cap when I got fuel. Dumped in a bit of iso Heet just to be on the safe side.

you washed it?  don't let the C10 find out   ;D
KiPass!

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11594
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 03:49:06 pm »

What are you doing for drive-shafts? I know a girl that snaps hers on occasion without even trying to run 9s  :-\

Running 9s on a VMax -begs the question - have you been this fast or faster on a bike before? I've had 11 second cars - can't even imagine what running 9s (or even 11s) on a bike would be like. Super cool. In my days at the drag strip the dark art of launching a bike was not appealing to me. Now it's something I just respect the heck out of.

:beerchug:

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 04:08:20 pm »
Versys650LT

you washed it?  don't let the C10 find out   ;D

It's gone to a new home in Tampa. The secret is out, though as the c-10 and the Versys renewed their acquaintance at River Ratz. You wouldn't reCOGnize it. It had purple paint underneath the entomology collection. Who'd a thunk it?
IBA 19221

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 04:21:18 pm »
I sold it.  I no longer have a KLR.   I am kind of sad but used the sale of the C10 and KLR for buying my C14.  Now I have owned 4 Concours that I have not had to pay more than $4k out of pocket for and ridden them over 200k miles.

Hi,
        That would be a great trade to me! :beerchug:

Your gonna love that C14! :great:

It amazes me everytime I get OFF of mine!!! ;D >:D >:D >:D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 10:17:27 pm »
Ordered a new Auxiliary tank assembly for the 690 Enduro from Rade garage in europe somewhere. Now I won't have to use the brand new Rotopax can for extra fuel on my trip! A real bargain at 412$ shipped!  Woohoo!

2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline txfatboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 01:23:42 am »

What are you doing for drive-shafts? I know a girl that snaps hers on occasion without even trying to run 9s  :-\

Running 9s on a VMax -begs the question - have you been this fast or faster on a bike before? I've had 11 second cars - can't even imagine what running 9s (or even 11s) on a bike would be like. Super cool. In my days at the drag strip the dark art of launching a bike was not appealing to me. Now it's something I just respect the heck out of.

:beerchug:

2009-present V-max.... running in the 9's is no problem.... with a few mods. As far as breaking drive shafts, until now, I have only heard of one other and it was with a slick and a shot of N2O. Yamaha asked the owner for the broken shaft for inspection because it wasn't supposed to be "breakable". If she is breaking the drive shaft on a 2nd gen, she may have a problem, like a tweaked swing arm or something. There are dozens of 2nd gen V-max riders in the 9's with no problems. It's actually pretty easy on this bike if you want to.
Oh, and don't doubt for a second that I pound the snot out of this bike.  ;) It's like a drug..... stupid power, solid suspension, fantastic brakes.... It BEGS to be ridden hard. BTW, check out the video I posted "2014 V-max at the drag strip" in the racing section. That is me, on my bike, short-shifting on an easy pass, because it was the very first pass on a track with that bike.... and still ran a 7.0 in the eighth mile leaving from idle.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:06:56 pm by txfatboy, Reason: correct spelling »
Woody

2014 V-Max Matt Gray, air box and exhaust mods, reflashed ECU, now over 200 hp. Currently accepting donations for rear tire money.......
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels, modified swing arm, ZRX1200 forks with full race tech gold valves a springs  and 6pot Calipers, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and running lights.

Offline txfatboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:33 am »

Nice project.

Thanks Steve. I can't wait to get back on it and use the air shifter. It was already crazy fun to ride....  :motonoises:
Woody