Author Topic: What have you done to your _______(insert other bike here) today?  (Read 19688 times)

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What have you done to your _______(insert other bike here) today?
« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2018, 10:10:35 am »
t500 lives.
https://youtu.be/9oq8Bt-GtyI

down to cosmetics. 3d printed sidecover and tank emblems.

tank (to be printed) and sidecover. (sidecover was printed clear, black was painted on back, silver on ft.)

A T500 was my first bike...!  Brings back memories... :motonoises:
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2018, 11:17:29 am »
Rode my 1970 CL350 about 75 miles tonight. Discovered a new problem to fix, if I drive at close to 70 mph for several miles the velocity of the intake air will over come the "notch" holding the choke open and suck my choke closed, which of course then makes the motor run bad.  Ah, another problem to fix.
mine used to do that! had one when i was 21.. drove me nuts (as i used it to commute on it back then).  had forgotten about that.
deeper groove on the shaft cam helped via a file

A T500 was my first bike...!  Brings back memories... :motonoises:

did a week at deals gap with it and my RD just a week or so ago for the 2 stroke meet. It did great.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2018, 11:42:05 am »
The T500 turned out great Mark! :great:

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2018, 01:59:49 pm »
This is in the other bike section because it's my son's C10.  This is a project that has been going on for too long.  Both of us have worked on this.  It has been off the road for a few years for upgrade work.  It has :ZX9 forks, brakes and front wheel.  Tapered roller steering head bearings.  1 inch bars that taper to 7/8 inch at the grips with pro taper risers.  Spiegler front brake lines and clutch line.  Barnett custom length throttle cables.  A meanstreak rear wheel.  A Corbin seat for the moment.  Madstad windshield off of my 05, while it's down for a fairing replacement.  The headlight was damaged when he got it so it was replaced with a good one that also had the protector installed.  I repaired 2 broken tabs on the upper fairing and fixed a broken tab on one of the turn signals.  It has not one, but two cup holders in holes the previous owner cut for speakers.  The oil and filter have been changed.  The final drive oil has been changed.  The coolant has been changed as well as a good scrubbing of the coolant recovery tank.  The valves have been adjusted as well as a new valve cover gasket.  The tires are Pirelli Angel GT's.  The fuel in the tank was dumped and replaced with fresh gas.  The petcock was also replaced with a brand new one. 

My first comment is that the wheel, tire and fork upgrades have transformed the feel of the bike completely.  It handles a lot better than before and deals with bumps better.  I'm amazed that the carbs managed to take that much sitting and come back to life running great!  I attribute that to running 2 stroke mix from a test tank from time to time.  First start, it fired right up with the enricher.  After a bit of running and coaxing, the high speed jets cleared and it runs like a top!  I really feel like we were lucky to have dodged the "plugged up carbs" bullet.

For a 1987 (same age as my son Bud) with 100,247 miles, I think it's a pretty nice bike.  My hope is that he keeps it FOREVER! 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:05:38 pm by Bud »

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2018, 08:54:37 am »
Very nice , wouldn't even think it's a Frankenbike! It was a labor of love and that might make your wish come true.   :great:

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2018, 01:51:11 pm »
This is in the other bike section because it's my son's C10.  This is a project that has been going on for too long.  Both of us have worked on this.  It has been off the road for a few years for upgrade work.  It has :ZX9 forks, brakes and front wheel.  Tapered roller steering head bearings.  1 inch bars that taper to 7/8 inch at the grips with pro taper risers.  Spiegler front brake lines and clutch line.  Barnett custom length throttle cables.  A meanstreak rear wheel.  A Corbin seat for the moment.  Madstad windshield off of my 05, while it's down for a fairing replacement.  The headlight was damaged when he got it so it was replaced with a good one that also had the protector installed.  I repaired 2 broken tabs on the upper fairing and fixed a broken tab on one of the turn signals.  It has not one, but two cup holders in holes the previous owner cut for speakers.  The oil and filter have been changed.  The final drive oil has been changed.  The coolant has been changed as well as a good scrubbing of the coolant recovery tank.  The valves have been adjusted as well as a new valve cover gasket.  The tires are Pirelli Angel GT's.  The fuel in the tank was dumped and replaced with fresh gas.  The petcock was also replaced with a brand new one. 

My first comment is that the wheel, tire and fork upgrades have transformed the feel of the bike completely.  It handles a lot better than before and deals with bumps better.  I'm amazed that the carbs managed to take that much sitting and come back to life running great!  I attribute that to running 2 stroke mix from a test tank from time to time.  First start, it fired right up with the enricher.  After a bit of running and coaxing, the high speed jets cleared and it runs like a top!  I really feel like we were lucky to have dodged the "plugged up carbs" bullet.

For a 1987 (same age as my son Bud) with 100,247 miles, I think it's a pretty nice bike.  My hope is that he keeps it FOREVER!

Really like the cupholder liners.  :great:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2018, 02:00:24 pm »
That turned out to be a good application for those! ;D

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1374
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2018, 08:48:38 am »
Don, just put a little dab of JB Weld on that choke. It won't give you any more problems!

Yer welcome!

:))
Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11206
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2018, 01:31:11 am »
Thanks Jerry but sometimes I do need it to close..at least for a short time.  Did some filing, found a better tab on a junk 450 Honda twin carb  in my shed, some bending, hopefully problem has now gone a way (but I haven't tested it yet.)   

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2018, 09:05:21 am »
The Honda finally got a complete set of new shoes. Got my own tire changer cause it was such a hassle to get tires changed. No close independent shop to bring wheels with new rubber for a change. Dealer stopped matching internet prices and raised the price and the amount of time waiting for a tire change. Read where one of our members shared my frustration and bought a tire changer. I said I could do that. 1st tire took an hour to change (just the tire, getting it off and on is another story), 2nd only about 20 minutes from dismount to balancing. Technique is acquired and things go faster. But how do I tell the GF that my 2 tire changes only cost $500 each?

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2018, 04:00:23 pm »
My Triumph Bonneville is getting new pads/rotors,calipers, master cylinder and the forks are getting a good going over to make the bike safe again. I'll be doing the small stuff later, air cleaners, fuel/oil lines, fuel taps, peg rubbers, etc...
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12323
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2018, 04:24:18 pm »
But how do I tell the GF that my 2 tire changes only cost $500 each?
Simple- you DON'T!!  :))

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2018, 10:23:53 pm »
But how do I tell the GF that my 2 tire changes only cost $500 each?
Simple- you DON'T!!  :))

Listen to George! :great:

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2018, 08:27:51 pm »
Hmmm...crickets. I can hear the crickets.

Anyhow, I just put a Shoodaben Engineering sticker on my 650 Versys. SiSF flashed her up yesterday. I like.

The bike is also getting a new chain and sprockets and new rear tire in anticipation of the COG September Trifecta. Should be close to 4k miles. I did manage to wear out a set of tires plus an extra rear on my recent four month Roadtrek/ride about.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2018, 09:46:37 pm »
Can't wait to hear the improvements to your ride Steve!!

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2018, 10:38:04 pm »
Hiya Sailor Rich. Here is a copy of what I posted on the Versys forum yesterday.

Oh, and say howdy to Canadian Steve and Mrs. Canadian Steve iffn you run into them for me.

My '15 got flashed today.

I rode over to Steve in Sunny FL's house this morning. Both of our intent was to compare my stock bike with now over 46k miles on it to his bike with his flash in it over a varying route and nit pick on the flash. We did maybe 10-20% of the route and I told Steve that I want it. So we cut the ride short and went back to his place to do the deed. It's done.

One of the things that I requested is to mellow out the throttle response in the very low rpms to help with off road riding. This he accomplished. When on the pegs the throttle is much easier modulate. This only comes into play below 3k rpm so the mid range and higher is not affected. This is truly awesome.

Speaking of mid range, a noticeable improvement in smartly applied throttle. Where I used to get a rush around 6k or better, now that rush is not so pronounced because the bike is already making good power. Throttle response and performance is much improved in the 3k and up range. 4k actually has some umph now.

One more thing, Steve set the cooling fan to come on ten degrees cooler. Seems to work well with my Therm o Bob.

All in all, I like it. It ain't 100hp, but, oh well. The low-mid range extra punch and response is welcome and the reduced response below 3k is just plain awesome.

Gonna head up to the north GA mountains after Labor Day to really have some fun with it. Yeehaw.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:43:34 pm by SteveJ. »
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2018, 08:55:29 pm »
My '15 650 Versys got it's brain's electrons manipulated at Shoodaben Engineering yesterday. Steve is definitely talented. This bike now runs like it should and proudly wears the Shoodaben Engineering sticker.

Today she got a new rear tire mounted up and is also getting an oil transfusion. Getting ready for a week or two up in the Smoly Mountains.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #192 on: Yesterday at 07:26:42 am »
Installed Projekt D helmet locks on the rack. They should be standard equipment. $65 and about 15 minutes.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing