Author Topic: 2016 TRI GLIDE ULTRA Formerly: What I'll Be Riding to the 2016 National On  (Read 22377 times)

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11845
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What I'll Be Riding to the 2016 National On (etc.)
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2015, 11:17:41 pm »
       Absolutely beautiful trike J.R.
                                                Nice finishing touch from the dealer the plaque is nice. You can ride with me anytime!

J.R. is cool  :great:   :great:   :great:
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 02:03:37 am »
Thanks for the images.  I really like the color.

A few questions out of curiosity.

Does it have cruise?
Does it have Blue-Tooth?
Does it have Nav?

Do you have a Go-Pro and if so, can you make a video of you riding it?  Would like to hear what it sounds like etc.

Hope you can enjoy it this year yet.

It has throttle-by-wire, and a super smooth cruise control built in. Blue-Tooth for sure. But running my headset off the 7-pin built into the top of the fuel tank below the fuel dome.

Navigation? In spades. The Boom! Box system is a large LED screen that does radio, navigation, phone, communications, and a few other things. And I get 3 months free Sirius/XM radio, NavTraffic, NavWeather. It isn't as good a Nav as Zumo 665 (I was spoiled) but it can find any Harley Davidson dealership on the planet in 4 seconds flat.  :rotflmao:

Don't have a Go-Pro yet but hope to soon. Been too busy kitting it out to bother with video yet.

Starting to get really cold here now. Might get a few more rides in. The Harley-Davidson heated gear is the bomb. It has a wireless wristwatch-like controller. Plus sign increases heat, Minus sign decreases. Runs the upper and low parts (liner/gloves, pants/socks) separately, and each has its own wireless receiver. I have it set up to all go off the wrist controller by default, but if the top or bottom gets too hot, I can hold down the Plus button a few seconds and it will switch to controlling the pants separately. So I have to try it out at least, which will extend riding until the roads are unsafe.

The optional seat is heated, and I had heated grips added and they would provide enough heat in freezing rain. The "1" setting is about all I can stand so far.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:09:04 am by JR »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2015, 02:06:01 am »
       Absolutely beautiful trike J.R.
                                                Nice finishing touch from the dealer the plaque is nice. You can ride with me anytime!

J.R. is cool  :great:   :great:   :great:

Thanks, man! I will be at the National in Georgia, and at the MotoCampers spring camping event 2 weeks before that. After I get back from California.

Hope to get back in time to take the trailer up to M&S Harley Davidson and get it painted to match the bike. If not, I will do it later in the summer when I'm not going to be camping for a few weeks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Pittsburgh_Clem

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11340
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 06:57:58 am »
Make sure you get a few Tattoo's before you get that bad boy JR :motonoises:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover – Mark Twain.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 08:09:29 am »
Too late, I've had it for a week now. No tattoos.

Edit: Jake in WV (great tattoo artist) is waiting for me. I'm waiting until I finish losing weight.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:05:23 pm by JR »

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2015, 02:13:23 pm »
Got the air shock suspension controller from Motortrikes. Has a control that goes on handlebar to increase and decrease shock pressure.

Otherwise you have to pull the right side panel and use a HD tool to alter the air pressure.

Now that I have the trike lift, I think I can install it myself. As long as I can fish the harness up through the saddle tank tunnel ok.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9812
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 07:10:50 pm »
Nice bike! Did you get rid of your C14?
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 10:06:39 pm »
Nice bike! Did you get rid of your C14?

Yes, too top heavy for me anymore. In fact, any heavy touring bike would be too much trouble for me now, even a HD with low center of gravity and very low seat. Although that would be more doable but I'd hate to drop one.  :rotflmao:

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 11:19:33 pm »
Yea, I don't thnk you have to worry about getting a HD-DA award  ;D
<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 05:09:08 am »
Yea, I don't thnk you have to worry about getting a HD-DA award  ;D

:rotflmao:

It didn't take me long to get used to leaving my feet up, and using the foot brake at stoplights and such. "Wow it doesn't want to fall over!"

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2015, 04:02:31 pm »
 That is hilarious JR. I had to show it to my wife and even she laughed!!
 JR is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline landman

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11621
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2015, 09:20:58 pm »
Congrats JR,
                  Looking forward to meeting you at the Nats in Georgia. I am glad you found something nice that will work for you!
                     Steve
JR is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Thanks! Handling a heavy 2 wheel bike has become just too difficult at stops and such for me, so this will keep me riding a long time. And it will tow my TimeOut trailer and I won't even have to hook up the electric brakes on the trailer.  :great:

Just got back from a 1750 mile tour in New England, and I agree the C14 is a handful at stops. I'm 5'9, 160 pounds. I love the bike at speeds above "0" mph. I'm considering a smaller, lighter touring bike like a Versys or Honda NC700V. My friends rode a 650 Versys and a 600 Yamaha and we all had fun. My Tom Tom Rider Winding Road GPS took us on some great 2 lane roads and the smaller bikes worked great. Retirement takes away time constraints, so there is little need for highways!!!

At 64 I also notice I have to concentrate more on everything going on around me, so a lighter bike should eliminate some tension. A trike would be a consideration in the future to enjoy motor sports. BB

you might try taking a look at the ninja 1000 abs.509 pounds,plenty of power and hard bags, I am 68 and still have
a c14 for long rides but picked up a 2015 ninja 1000 abs also for all the reasons you mentioned.
2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14- sold

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2015, 10:35:48 pm »
Rode trike to VA Medical Center before daylight this morning, to get to X-Ray at 0700 and then Optical. Was cold as all get out, outside.

My new heated gear worked awesome, I was toasty.  :great:

Offline ZX6Rob

• Bicycle
  • My Ninja's not fat, she's just big-framed.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11813
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2015, 07:56:04 pm »
It isn't my style, but I can appreciate a nice bike as well as anyone.  Glad you've found a way to keep riding!

A good buddy of mine's father recently had to have surgery to remove a small tumor from his inner ear.  He's recovered well, and he's doing fine now, but his sense of balance is pretty much permanently shot, and he occasionally has bouts of vertigo.  He can still walk and drive all right, but he had to give up riding his Road King because he just didn't feel comfortable with the leaning anymore.  I've been trying to get him to give one of these trikes a shot, because he seems to really miss riding.  I know my friend misses being able to ride with his dad, so it might be the right thing for him.  I might have him take a look at this thread, see if it piques his interest.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying your new toy!  I wish you many miles of safe and happy riding.
motorcycle, n. (mō'-dər-sīk-(ə)l) - 1. A large, leaky container of various dangerous, viscous, and difficult-to-clean fluids.

2001 ZG1000 Concours

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2015, 03:11:48 am »
It isn't my style, but I can appreciate a nice bike as well as anyone.  Glad you've found a way to keep riding!

A good buddy of mine's father recently had to have surgery to remove a small tumor from his inner ear.  He's recovered well, and he's doing fine now, but his sense of balance is pretty much permanently shot, and he occasionally has bouts of vertigo.  He can still walk and drive all right, but he had to give up riding his Road King because he just didn't feel comfortable with the leaning anymore.  I've been trying to get him to give one of these trikes a shot, because he seems to really miss riding.  I know my friend misses being able to ride with his dad, so it might be the right thing for him.  I might have him take a look at this thread, see if it piques his interest.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying your new toy!  I wish you many miles of safe and happy riding.

The interesting thing about life is, your "style" will no doubt change one day. I was a diehard 2-wheel maniac in my first 20-some years of riding, dragging knee pucks and doing stoppies in front of a couple hundred people at Alice's Restaurant on a Sunday morning. Then I rode a modified ZX11 from England, onto a ferry, to France, Nederlands, down through Belgium, to the south of France, to Italy, back to France, to Spain, back to Calais, onto ferry, back to England, and then I and the bike flew back to California.

One day I woke up in the Mojave desert on my way to Monterey CA this year, and realized 2 wheels wouldn't work anymore. Everyone comes to some accommodation with age and injuries, I hope yours doesn't take you off 2 wheels.

But three wheels is turning out to be great fun, its a very cool form of biking I'm finding. In the same way a sidecar rig is fun to ride. And it tours way better than my C14 did, which fits what I will be doing with it. Thousand mile trips are becoming little trips to me.

It came down to 3 choices. 1) sidecar rig, 2) trike, 3) Spyder. If Hannigan had a C14 rig available, or planned to, that is the way I would have gone. But he doesn't, and says he never will, have another C14 rig. The Spyder, meh.... I love how it rides (I took a demo ride and loved it) but I don't like the seating position and I hate how it looks. So then trikes were left. Lots of options. But Harley Davidson has nailed what a trike should be, it rides as good as any trike can, it handles as well as possible, and it looks great. And it will go coast to coast and beg for more. :)

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2016, 09:30:41 pm »
I've got the Kuryakyn hitch half on and half off atm. For one thing, its been super cold and I don't fancy laying on concrete (even on pads) long enough to finish. And March will be warm enough, and I only need maybe 5 hours more to finish the hitch itself and then 2 or 3 for the isolator / wiring harness.

Since the Tri Glide has CANbus, its just plug and play anyway, but I have to make an extension to the trailer side of the harness to reach down to the hitch.

The engineering problem is Kuryakyn didn't make the hitch for the 2016, just up to 2015, and in 2016 HD changed the holes in the two rear cross members. So where I need to bolt the forward end of the hitch plate there are only two drain holes (the cross member is a U beam). I need four bolts there, and the hitch came with two backing plates, each taking two bolts. So I have to drill two holes in exactly the right place to line up with the plates. And then I have to drill at least one 1/2" drain hole to replace the two I "stole". If it ain't one thing its another.

I'm going to coat the backing plates, and the U-beam where I drill the holes with Flex Seal Clear. That's not as thick as the original black Flex Seal, but it will seal the plates and the holes so they don't rust. I will probably coat the leading 4 inches of the hitch plate too, where it makes contact with the underside of the cross member.

After that's done, I need to put the MotorTrikes Air Suspension Controller system on, and route the wiring harness up to the front and find a place for the control pod. Again, I think the J&S lift will pay for itself, because HD would soak me in labor to install it. I might be able to shame them into giving me a really good deal since I purchased the unit from them.  :rotflmao:

The J&S Jacks trike lift is paying for itself. I can easily get under it when its up on the lift.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2016, 04:53:35 am »
Kuryakyn hitch is installed. Had to take the slip-ons off to do it, so today putting them back on.

The J&S air lift sure makes it a lot easier, can get under it very easily.

Today I'll probably put the wiring harness on for the hitch. The trike is CANBUS but Open Road Outfitters provided me a plug-n-play kit for it. While I'm putting that on, going to tap (strip, splice inline) the appropriate trailer-side wires for possible future brake controller. Dale at Open Road insists I don't need brakes on the trailer with the trike. So I'll try it that way when I ride from Monterey CA to the Bun Cooler and back.

The MotorTrikes air suspension controller install is moving along finally. I am taking the gas tank off today to run the wiring harness along the frame up to the control box on the handlebar. Harley-Davidson keeps amazing me with these new Twin-Cool engines, despite looking and sounding EVO-old-school they are quite sophisticated. With the seat off I can see the ECU and ABS computers, and a few electronics gadgets I don't recognize. Waiting on the shop manual. Anyway, to disconnect the gas line from the tank, you just use a coupling much like an air chuck coupling, push the collar up, pull the fuel line down, disconnected. Barest of little drips, shop rag more than adequate.

Once the air suspension controller is installed, I can stiffen up the rear end when I'm towing the trailer without having to take the seat and right side covers off. Even at a stop light. Its got an interlock so you can't change it while its moving. I guess the CANBUS has that information.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2016, 12:33:25 am »
Finally got the compressor for the Air Suspension Control system installed onto the rear suspension support strut. What a pita that was, maneuvering the compressor assembly up between the wishbone swing arm, over to the right strut, and getting the U bolts started and tightened. Was very tight space up in there.

Tomorrow I'll install the air lines from the compressor to the two shocks. That's pretty easy, and already started by plugging into the compressor on the left side where its hard to get to once its bolted in place.

Had to take the right tire off, and unbolt the fender enough to swing it up out of the way, to get to stuff. Probably this coming Wednesday I'll be giving it a test. I hope it fires up, but it should.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2016, 01:45:24 am »
JR - I was on a state road today between Livongston,TX and Alexandria,LA. The road was closed due to a washout and lots of bikes converged at the 'closed signs' to scratch heads and find a go-around. A couple on a TriGlide offered to lead us to Derrider and point us in the right direction...

Man, they flew! I'm trying to chill out, had been going 65-70 all day until then. Beautiful country-side and great views. Then it was boogy-time! I have to say that trike held a clean line and kept an 85-90mph pace - on a road - not a slab! The pillion said it was her bike but she couldn't keep up with her husband and hates riding pillion on his bike so when together she rides on the back of her TriGlide.

Its truly a hot-rod IMO - is it all the rubber on the road or the inability to lean over and drag parts? Reminded me of how hard SideCarPatti corners her Hannigan C14 hack. She has a lot of rubber to thank for that - and she uses it!

Rubber side down buddy - nice bike  :motonoises:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2016, 07:13:15 am »
JR - I was on a state road today between Livongston,TX and Alexandria,LA. The road was closed due to a washout and lots of bikes converged at the 'closed signs' to scratch heads and find a go-around. A couple on a TriGlide offered to lead us to Derrider and point us in the right direction...

Man, they flew! I'm trying to chill out, had been going 65-70 all day until then. Beautiful country-side and great views. Then it was boogy-time! I have to say that trike held a clean line and kept an 85-90mph pace - on a road - not a slab! The pillion said it was her bike but she couldn't keep up with her husband and hates riding pillion on his bike so when together she rides on the back of her TriGlide.

Its truly a hot-rod IMO - is it all the rubber on the road or the inability to lean over and drag parts? Reminded me of how hard SideCarPatti corners her Hannigan C14 hack. She has a lot of rubber to thank for that - and she uses it!

Rubber side down buddy - nice bike  :motonoises:

This is what the mechanics at M&S Harley told me, that the Tri Glide can get down the road and hang with touring bikes. Once you get good enough. Which I'm not yet, not enough experience with it. Eventually.

I do know that once I began to trust the new steering method, she goes around 90 degree turns without any complaints or drifting.... you can brake them in a turn and adjust your line, and they don't slide. Its like they are on rails.

So I guess the huge contact patch in the back, combined with the geometry of the front fork / wheel, and the extra stiff frame they swap in (compared to the Ultra Glide) contribute to handling.

I sure like the no dragging of parts thing, and coming to a stop and using the foot brake only, and not having to put my feet down. And reverse.  :motonoises:

If Hannigan had 1 more C14 conversion kit, I would be riding a hack right now, but he had sold the last one a week before I called, and said no more were being made. Rather than wait for one to show up on cycletrader or whatever, I got the trike. Every time I ride it, I'm happy I got it.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2016, 12:27:12 pm »
Got the MotorTrikes Air Suspension Controller working, its pretty cool. As long as the engine is running, it will air up and air down the rear air shocks.

They can run at 0 PSI just fine, which is a really cushy ride but don't go over any big speed bumps or up a driveway at 0 PSI.  :rotflmao:

This will let me air up to like 40 PSI when trailering, or when I want to boogy (once I get enough experience lol) as the higher the rear end sits, the better it handles. Within reason.

Having trouble with the "plug-n-play" trailer harness, the CanBus module section has a bad plug, so I've got a call into Electrical Connections to see if I can get a replacement part. Tech is not in yet, he'll call me later this morning.

But then, other than lengthening the 5 wires that go down to the trailer plug (they are about 2 feet too short) and deciding what pattern to wire the plug in, the trike is ready for the big adventure. I'll take it to M&S HD in a week or two and get the engine and transmission oil changed, have them give it a diagnostic test, and then all I have to do is finish packing the luggage.

:motonoises:

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2016, 10:11:42 pm »
Trike is 100% ready. Tomorrow having dealer dump the oil from crank, primary, and transmission cases, and put synthetic in. Have them take a look at everything just to be sure.

Nice to have it trailer ready finally, I've missed camping in my TimeOut, and starting with the Bun Cooler I will be camping a whole lot now.

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2016, 10:58:26 pm »
Rally at Kickstand Lodge in Stacoah is the end of the month!!!  :-)
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2016, 10:21:56 am »
Rally at Kickstand Lodge in Stacoah is the end of the month!!!  :-)

Can't, leaving for West coast at end of month. Otherwise I would.