Author Topic: ZERO electric motorcycles  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10410
  • Membership Level: Active
ZERO electric motorcycles
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:17:45 am »
A friend of mine owns a Triumph dealership. Last week he took delivery of the first electric bikes here in Eugene. Brand name Zero. Took one for a ride today...very impressive....but also weird.  0-60 in 3 seconds, and totally linear. The only noise is a faint whine, kind of like a turbocharger. Of course, no shifting, and belt drive.  Supposed 175 mile range, and the batteries have a life span of 300,000 miles. It is so odd to sit at a light, and hear.....nothing!  Yet when the light turns green, say bye bye!
 If anyone has an opportunity to ride one, it will put a smile on your face.    :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:22:47 am by BruceS »
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10445
Re: ZERO electric motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:14:33 am »
so, what is the price tag on one of these jewels?
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:23 am »
Go to their website. The prices are on there. Can get up there....  Options for more range, bags, etc. Four different models.

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10445
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:19:36 am »
Go to their website. The prices are on there. Can get up there....  Options for more range, bags, etc. Four different models.
aint got NO time fo dat!!! that's why i asked!!!  :nananana:
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:18:39 am »
But you have all the time in the world to hang around here!! :nananana:

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 06:21:36 am »
Of the 3 models they have out....dirt, dual purpose, and street, prices vary from 12- 18k. I know....ouch!
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 11:28:50 am »
I test rode one at a local dealer event last summer. Expected anemia,  was I surprised. I think it would beat my 750 off the line. You can even change power settings and monitor it from your phone so if you loan it out you can make it slower. Impressed by all but the price.
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 03:03:11 pm »
Of the 3 models they have out....dirt, dual purpose, and street, prices vary from 12- 18k. I know....ouch!

About the same range as the big irons we all ride now. AND, they are advancing technically far faster (and with measurable improvements in performance and range) than gas burners. Formerly on the fringe, they are front and center and very intriguing. I would love to ride one.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline Uncle Rob

• Road Bike
  • "Knock it off with those negative waves!"
  • COG#: 11810
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 06:43:49 pm »

About the same range as the big irons we all ride now. AND, they are advancing technically far faster (and with measurable improvements in performance and range) than gas burners. Formerly on the fringe, they are front and center and very intriguing. I would love to ride one.

Dan

I don't know if I would say front and center but they are definitely in the picture.  I would like to ride one too.
2003 C10
1999 Buell X1
Others in pieces

Rob Thomson

Offline Sgt Mac

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12087
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 06:52:49 pm »
I would love to have one and commute on it, but it boils down to money. For less than $3K I can pick up any number of decent bikes that, with a little tlc, will perform wonderfully as commuters, leaving me with a lot of money for fuel.
Charlie

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »
I would love to have one and commute on it, but it boils down to money. For less than $3K I can pick up any number of decent bikes that, with a little tlc, will perform wonderfully as commuters, leaving me with a lot of money for fuel.

yeah, and no increased electric bill.   :o
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline MNrider

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 06:39:20 pm »
Test rode one two summers ago.  Real fun, really no noise.  Kind of like a golf cart on two wheels, that goes better than any golf cart I ever drove!  But the price is limiting factor.  Glad to see they are improving range and battery life.  If the stable ever grows from one to four bikes, there might be electric in the mix.  Everyone should try one though!

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:49 pm »
Electric is the future
KiPass!

Offline Uncle Rob

• Road Bike
  • "Knock it off with those negative waves!"
  • COG#: 11810
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 08:05:44 pm »
I think they need to get 100+ real world range at below $10k before they really take off.  Oh, and be able to charge in say 4 hours or less.  You can get the range and the charge time but it all adds up to $15k plus right now.
2003 C10
1999 Buell X1
Others in pieces

Rob Thomson

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 08:19:24 pm »
I think they need to get 100+ real world range at below $10k before they really take off.  Oh, and be able to charge in say 4 hours or less.  You can get the range and the charge time but it all adds up to $15k plus right now.

+1

Yeah, still in its infancy.  The technology will be there soon and they'll go mucho further for mucho cheaper, plus mucho FASTER  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 03:21:50 am »
Electric is the future

:sign0135: We won't go! :sign0135: We won't go!!  That would be just buck weird to drive or ride something you can't hear. I do think your right though.. its inevitable!!
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 11:58:14 am »
No pipes save rights.  :great:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 12:35:54 pm »
Electric is the future

:sign0135: We won't go! :sign0135: We won't go!!  That would be just buck weird to drive or ride something you can't hear. I do think your right though.. its inevitable!!

Remember they said cell phones "is a fad" in the late 80's too. Never replace copper line phones due to dropped calls, reliability, expense, and poor battery life. 

Technology in our lifetime will make electric motorcycles so cheap and so fast one will be insane to ride gas.  Cars too.  Can't bet against tech  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 01:07:49 pm »
Automobiles are a passing fad,  they will never replace the reliability of a horse.

Television is a gimmick,  radio is king.      :))
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 02:16:36 pm »
Automobiles are a passing fad,  they will never replace the reliability of a horse.

Television is a gimmick,  radio is king.      :))

:o   :o    :o

smoked my example  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline Sgt Mac

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12087
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 05:04:59 pm »
Commuting or a weekend ride is one thing. What about a multi-day or longer high mileage trip?
Charlie

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 06:15:06 pm »
Commuting or a weekend ride is one thing. What about a multi-day or longer high mileage trip?

These are certainly intended for local riding, commuting being the most attractive use IMO. I would hate to run out of electrons while goofing off in the mountains.

Many companies have solar panels that provide free re-charge capabilites while at work. That would be an ideal way to commute if the RT mileage works out.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 06:49:24 pm »
I am a huge fan of internal combustion.  It's in our soul, if you will.  It's all we know.  But keep in mind in 1900 there were no gas stations.  There was no pavement.  There are early motion pictures of model T's bouncing and grinding along muddy, rutted one lane "roads".  Very slowly.  The first coast to coast trips took many months. 
  This will be a long paradigm shift or sea change.  The gasoline supply is finite, electricity is not.  We won't live long enough to see it complete, but range and infrastructure will grow and improve to be able to drive an electric vehicle anywhere and as far as you want.  The same way gas stations and pavement eventually expanded to....everywhere.  It will be done with a level of technology that does not exist yet, but many extremely smart dudes and dudettes are working hard on it. 
  Not to worry,  in the meantime enjoy that sound out your tailpipe.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 08:04:19 pm »
I am a huge fan of internal combustion.  It's in our soul, if you will.  It's all we know.  But keep in mind in 1900 there were no gas stations.  There was no pavement.  There are early motion pictures of model T's bouncing and grinding along muddy, rutted one lane "roads".  Very slowly.  The first coast to coast trips took many months. 
  This will be a long paradigm shift or sea change.  The gasoline supply is finite, electricity is not.  We won't live long enough to see it complete, but range and infrastructure will grow and improve to be able to drive an electric vehicle anywhere and as far as you want.  The same way gas stations and pavement eventually expanded to....everywhere.  It will be done with a level of technology that does not exist yet, but many extremely smart dudes and dudettes are working hard on it. 

The toughy is that electrical generation is mostly by fossil fueled power plants. Coupled with the increase in electrical vehicles there will have to be a change in the manner in which we generate electricity. Nuclear power plants need to be taken seriously again (like Europe does) as well as hydro-electric and appropriately applied solar.

All this of course will result in more gasoline for our current motorcycles (and other vehicles of course), including my FJR. Yowza!

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 08:25:17 pm »

The toughy is that electrical generation is mostly by fossil fueled power plants. Coupled with the increase in electrical vehicles there will have to be a change in the manner in which we generate electricity. Nuclear power plants need to be taken seriously again (like Europe does) as well as hydro-electric and appropriately applied solar.

All this of course will result in more gasoline for our current motorcycles (and other vehicles of course), including my FJR. Yowza!

Dan

Thats decreasing fast too as technology increases.  New ways of generating are being developed. Tesla, Google, and Apple are driving a lot of the new technologies.

Of course Al Gore will sell us some "solar panels" though  :rotflmao:
KiPass!