Author Topic: ZG traded his KTM for a Wing  (Read 22302 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ZG traded his KTM for a Wing
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:15 pm »
First trip with the Unigo trailer, went to a NW COG event in ID, camped on the way there, stored nicely in my hotel room once at the event, it did awesome!  :great: :great:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2017, 02:20:00 pm »

Same pic with our ugly mugs, and I really should of left my sunglasses on! :))

Offline Ginger Ninja

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2017, 11:25:28 pm »
Great looking bike. How does it handle? I hear they are actually quite nimble. My Wife want me to get one so she can read her Kindle.

They are MUCH more nimble than they look. At least mine was as compared to my C10. I'd pull the C10 out after having been on the Wing for a few weeks on a trip and it was like going from riding a quarter horse to an elephant on a pogo stick!  :))  As compared the C14, I don't know, I have not logged any miles on the 14 to make the comparison.

I wish the blacked out chrome was an option back when I bought mine. That looks sharp!   :great:

Agreed! I like the blacked out chrome, and I very much like not having the sides of the front wheel all covered up.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2017, 02:37:02 am »
Same pic with our ugly mugs, and I really should of left my sunglasses on! :))

Good times bro, always a pleasure, can't wait to do another!  :great: :beerchug:

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1374
« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2017, 08:57:05 am »
I would have loved to have the blacked out chrome on mine, but after looking into it, decided it was going to be too expensive. Oh, sure, I could have pained it myself, but it would have looked awful after six months of wear. Now that they have this new spray and peal plastic coating stuff, I wonder if a guy could use that to at least paint the crash bars, frame and some of the plastic pieces on the engine?

I pulled the trim pieces off and sprayed them gloss black after scuffing them a bit with a Scotch Bright greenie. It didn't turn out too bad, but all that shiny chrome! Ugh!
 :(

;D

Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #255 on: May 23, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »
I would have loved to have the blacked out chrome on mine, but after looking into it, decided it was going to be too expensive. Oh, sure, I could have pained it myself, but it would have looked awful after six months of wear. Now that they have this new spray and peal plastic coating stuff, I wonder if a guy could use that to at least paint the crash bars, frame and some of the plastic pieces on the engine?

I pulled the trim pieces off and sprayed them gloss black after scuffing them a bit with a Scotch Bright greenie. It didn't turn out too bad, but all that shiny chrome! Ugh!
 :(

;D

Powder coating is not very expensive and is very durable
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2017, 07:45:02 pm »
I'll give you durable, but "not very expensive"? Not with my farkle budget!
 :))
Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2017, 09:00:57 am »
Running it around the block can't compare to several hundred miles. How did the unigo pull? Looks like it would follow you with no problem. And I have to ask- where did the other end of the 100' extension cord plug into?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2017, 01:07:08 pm »
Running it around the block can't compare to several hundred miles. How did the unigo pull? Looks like it would follow you with no problem. And I have to ask- where did the other end of the 100' extension cord plug into?

It pulled great DZ, even speed tested it briefly at triple digits, yes it just goes where the Wing goes.  :great:

As for the 100' ext cord, the other end is charging my Scala, phone, bluetooth portable speaker, and laptop.  :)

Offline Ginger Ninja

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #259 on: May 26, 2017, 02:16:51 am »
How's the acceleration, compared to a C10? Or an 85 GL1200?

What's the top speed?

Fuel mileage?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2017, 03:16:44 am »

What's the top speed?

Fuel mileage?

Sorry GN, I haven't rode either of those.  :??:

It's no crotch rocket, but it has great torque for 2up and loaded.  :great:

Top speed is about 140, I haven't tracked my gas mileage.

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2017, 11:06:18 am »
I had a 2000 C10 and a first generation (2002) GL 1800.  Overall performance of a GL1800 is very similar to a C10. The C10 has an edge in cornering (due to it being 700lbs vs. the GL's 900lbs and the cornering clearances). I never had a GL 1500 but from talking with GL 1500 riders who up-graded to the GL 1800, the GL 1800 is HUGELY better in every category (power, handling, braking, comfort, etc.). Don't go test ride one unless you're prepared to buy it and FOR SURE don't take SWMBO along (DAMHIK).  ;)
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2017, 12:52:53 pm »

What's the top speed?

Fuel mileage?

Sorry GN, I haven't rode either of those.  :??:

It's no crotch rocket, but it has great torque for 2up and loaded.  :great:

Top speed is about 140, I haven't tracked my gas mileage.
As has been mentioned the GL1800 is VERY similar in acceleration and speed to a c-10.  Tons of torque so it pulls hard quickly and can actually tear a C-10 up out of the hole.  The 1500 and previous wings are not nearly as strong IMHO.  A C-10 will hurt them all day long in every way.  But the 1800 also has a very low CG and THAT makes it handle BETTER than a C-10 IMHO except that it has no ground clearance.  But it is amazingly nimble for its size and weight and is an easier bike to handle at slow speeds than the C-10.  If the Wing had real ground clearance it would be a really tough ride to beat.  And maybe a turbo or two.   ;D

Mileage on the 1800 Wing is going to be about 35-45 depending on rider so much like a C-10.  My buddy Hub gets a pretty consistent 38-40 on his 2015 GL1800.  His top speed is 139 indicated which was about 130 on my GPS. His 2006 model was actually a little bit faster.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2017, 01:30:18 pm »
I concur.   ;D  I had a GL1100 back in the day and traded it in on my first Connie. An '87 Wineberry. Loved it! There was NO comparison. The Honda was boat anchor slow compared to the Kawi! I rode it for ten years and then upgraded it to a '98 Connie, in "fugly green". Since I was parting out my first one, I was able to move all the plastic from the first one to the second one. Had to fabricate a new bracket to get the old style fender to work with the newer forks, but it was doable. I kept the green fuel tank, just covered it in a vinyl full tank cover. And then I got a chance to ride a GL1800. Actually, a friend of mine, and fellow COGger had a GL1800, and while riding with him on vacation one fateful day back in 2003, we ended up at Deal's Gap. I figured I'd let him start ahead of me, then shoot around him and his big slow Hondapottomus and be waiting, and laughing at the bottom of the Dragon for him. Ha! He went around the first corner and I didn't see him again until I got to the bottom, where he was sitting there waiting on me with his helmet and jacket off like he'd been sitting there all morning. A week later I had one in my garage sitting next to the Konk. It, (IMHO), was at least as fast, as quick, as stable as the ZG, yet *more* agile and *more* comfortable. The more I rode it, the less I liked riding the Connie. I eventually sold the Connie. It was like when I went from the GL1100 to the ZG1000. The difference was that much.

Hope this helped. 

On a side note, my friend with the GL1800 bought his Wing right after the COG national that was held in southern Colorado... can't remember the exact town, but was near Durango??? Anyway, he was able to test ride a new GL1800 during the rally and was so impressed with it that he stopped on the way home and traded in his Triumph 1200 for the Wing about half way home. He used his Discover card to buy it! I think he even still has it! So the moral of this story is; If you take a test drive on a GL1800, you best leave your Discover card at home!
 :))
Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska