Author Topic: ZG traded his KTM for a Wing  (Read 21468 times)

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ZG traded his KTM for a Wing
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2017, 09:19:18 am »
Nice! Travel safe. Hope we get a ride report- how many miles in a day, the performance of the Wing, why you returned....... Thanks ZG  :motonoises:

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2017, 12:23:47 pm »
Where is the trailer? Oh that's right, you stay at the Marriott!  :-X

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2017, 12:15:30 pm »
Thanks guys, nope didn't bring the Unigo trailer on this trip, still need to get the wiring harness installed on the Wing, no camping on this trip and I'm solo so didn't need the extra carrying capacity. Hoping to get that all done prior to the Bun Cooler in May so I can take it for a shake down trip.

I arrived Vegas yesterday evening safe and sound, as for a ride report... 80% of the trip down here was awesome, the 20% that was less than awesome was a long stretch where it had just snowed the day prior so there was gravel/sand on the roads and a couple other spots crossing dessert that the wind gusts were pushing me around more than I care for. Weather was as good as can be expected for this time of year, only challenge was being warm when it was cold and cool when it was hot, the 2nd one was more a challenge as I wore my Stich and was warm once the temps hit 90. As for miles I'm not a mile eater like many of you on here but I did do the most miles in a day I've ever done before, I did 624 miles yesterday which was the first time breaking 600 for me, Saturday was 500. I bought and brought along another Airhawk R just in case as this was the first trip on the new seat, I never needed to put it on and my butt felt great so I'm really happy about that and can now sell the Airhawk.

All and all great trip down, looking forward to hanging out with Pops today and then leaving tomorrow early AM heading back home.  :great:
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2017, 12:24:09 pm »
my butt felt great so I'm really happy about that 
TMI

Wish I was riding :(

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2017, 09:06:58 am »
Bet after your 600 mile day, you were still able to get on the wing to go out for dinner after unpacking  :great:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2017, 11:39:56 am »
Bet after your 600 mile day, you were still able to get on the wing to go out for dinner after unpacking  :great:

I didn't DZ but yes that would not have been a problem, by comparison of past bikes rides yes not sore at all.  :great: :great:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2017, 04:20:38 pm »
Made it back home safe and sound, what a great trip and ride! Temps ranged from 31 to 93, the pic below was morning leaving Susanville CA, good times!  :great: :great:

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2017, 09:30:58 am »
Glad you had a great time and returned safely! Did you use heated gear? I have wondered many times which was worse; packing up a wet motorcycle cover or leaving the bike uncovered overnight. At least you had a heated seat to remove the frost.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2017, 12:15:28 pm »
Glad you had a great time and returned safely! Did you use heated gear? I have wondered many times which was worse; packing up a wet motorcycle cover or leaving the bike uncovered overnight. At least you had a heated seat to remove the frost.

Yep, I had my heated gear on every day but one, and was glad I did, without it I would have been cold for sure and I wasn't. The Stich was great, it never did leak through and I water tested the heck out of it! :great: :great:

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:18:35 pm by ZG »

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2017, 11:36:22 pm »
Finally got my adapter plate for the Unigo hitch, getting it all wired up next week. I took it out for a quick ride, can't even notice it back there, I'm stoked to try it out on a trip!  :great:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2017, 01:20:55 pm »
New rubber installed yesterday, I'm gonna try out the new Dunlop E4's.

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2017, 08:54:38 am »
I got more life out of my Dunlops with over inflation by 3-5 lbs front and rear. Didn't seem to affect grip. Rode with a pillion 75% of the time. Service manager who rode a wing told me to do that. The E4 was not made when I had my GW so may be a old wives tale by now. Did Metzlers twice, never again. Cupping starts early and rapidly degraded the tires to useless by 4000 miles.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #237 on: May 14, 2017, 03:23:30 pm »
Got my wiring harness plug for the Unigo trailer all cleaned up and nicely tucked away in one of those license plate smuggler boxes, came out pretty sano IMO, I like that when not towing she's all hidden...   8)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:31:37 pm by ZG »

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:10 pm »
You're getting old Jay.   :))

But I could see myself on one as well.   ;D

Offline sc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12344
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2017, 11:50:58 am »
ZG...now that you've had the big girl for a little while are you still happy with her? I tried my fathers wing last weekend and can understand the ability to travel 8 hours without stopping, but I still think im not old enough yet and would miss the performance of the kawi.

Can I ask did you check out the bmw k1600 also and if so what brought you to the wing?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2017, 12:11:41 pm »
You're getting old Jay.   :))

But I could see myself on one as well.   ;D

Old seems to be a moving target eh Cap'n!  ;D

Hope all is well buddy!  :beerchug:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2017, 12:14:58 pm »
ZG...now that you've had the big girl for a little while are you still happy with her? I tried my fathers wing last weekend and can understand the ability to travel 8 hours without stopping, but I still think im not old enough yet and would miss the performance of the kawi.

Can I ask did you check out the bmw k1600 also and if so what brought you to the wing?

I'm still loving it SC. Yes I looked hard at the K1600, deciding factors were cost and reliability. As for performance, the Wing has more than enough performance for touring, for other styles of riding I prefer to have other bikes for that.  :great:

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2017, 01:05:09 pm »
20 years at the Dragon and the Wings constantly amaze everyone. We saw a new one go by on rhe Dragon yesterday and he was waving at full lean jingling his floor boards on the asphalt. I'm a Wing fan

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2017, 01:55:36 pm »
I know the capability of the wing, my father has had them for years and is the president of the northeast chapter of gwrra. im just in denial about being ready, soon to be 50 guess it is only a matter of time. Whats driving me towards this is my wife now being back on the bike after a year.,

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #244 on: May 19, 2017, 08:33:19 am »
I know the capability of the wing, my father has had them for years and is the president of the northeast chapter of gwrra. im just in denial about being ready, soon to be 50 guess it is only a matter of time. Whats driving me towards this is my wife now being back on the bike after a year.,

There's the decision maker! No one is going to point at you if they see you on the Hondapotamus and laugh; well maybe if you're driving a yellow one! How did that color become the most popular for Wings?

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2017, 01:26:38 pm »

There's the decision maker! No one is going to point at you if they see you on the Hondapotamus and laugh; well maybe if you're driving a yellow one! How did that color become the most popular for Wings?

One word... "YellowWolf" and his YouTube videos.   ;D

I've ridden the GL1800 of my Wingman, HUB, and it is a sweet ride.  But, for me, it has its shortcomings.  No breeze.  That windshield stops everything.  Even a vent is a joke IMHO.  But I ride a very short shield on my bikes anyway unless it's freezing.  Then there is cornering clearance.  I suppose it's my lack of riding skills, but I like to lean too much for a Wing.  I am hitting the exhaust all the time just riding to the convenience store from Hub's house (Kerrville in Texas Hill Country = Twisties everywhere) even just going around a left handed corner after stopping at a red light.  Crazy scary to me.  BUT....

Hub can ride that sucka like it's on fire and stay pretty dang close to me in tight mountain passes where the big girl's torquey engine is always spooled and I gotta keep the revs flowing.  How he gets it around those corners without dragging everything off of it is beside me.  But he gets it done.  And he's a little guy as well.  He does shed his fair share of sparks, but he doesn't get the hard parts tore up or the bike crashed.  I can't lean it enough to make me happy.  But it is a mile muncher and my wife rides with him more than with me. 
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2017, 01:59:59 pm »
perhaps it's that you weigh so much you are sagging the suspension too much.   :nananana: :nananana: :nananana:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:02:35 pm by Rev Ryder, Reason: Accidentally added to this post had to remove it. »
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #247 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:23 pm »
perhaps it's that you weigh so much you are sagging the suspension too much.   :nananana: :nananana: :nananana:
:(  Alas... Fred Boothe keeps buying me lunch at Mikeska's BBQ Buffet.   :)

Sorry I accidentally added my post to yours and had to remove it.  I hit "edit" instead of "quote"  :-[
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #248 on: May 19, 2017, 06:10:42 pm »

We'll see this is her first season back on the bike and surprisingly hasn't complained too much about the c14. I sold the HD Ultra when she stopped riding and im no rush to go back to a road barge, a wing or K1600 would be it if this is what she wanted.

I actually liked the yellow hondapotamus, would be tempting if they made one yellow with the blacked out chrome.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2017, 12:05:48 pm »
would be tempting if they made one yellow with the blacked out chrome.

can be easily done SC...  ;)  :)