Author Topic: Isle of Man TT 2015  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11650
  • Membership Level: Active
Isle of Man TT 2015
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:12:39 pm »
The 2015 Isle of Man TT is on the Velocity cable channel this week. Yesterday they showed sidecar racing. These sidecars are about 2 1/2 feet tall and they don racing slicks. The guy in the sidecar has a very small platform on which to kneel/sit/lean, etc. These guys really fly through those streets. It's an amazing race to watch. It's on for a few more days, so set your DVR to record it!
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Uncle Rob

• Scooter
  • "Knock it off with those negative waves!"
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11810
Re: Isle of Man TT 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:48:52 pm »
They were saying that that side car rigs only have 20mm of suspension on the main wheels and none on the third wheel.  It must beat the crap out of you.

They had the electric bikes on last night.  They only do one lap because of range. Mugans were 1-2 with Victory (Bremmo) 3-4.  I wish Polaris had called them Indians.  Indian won the TT back in the 19 teens.
2003 C10
1999 Buell X1
Others in pieces

Rob Thomson

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #0481 :-(
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10298
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 02:53:24 am »
I've been watching the coverage all week, and recently turned one of my brothers onto it too.

This weekend we were together at a family party. While my brother and I spent time talking about all the races, our wives spent the same amount of time complaining about how annoying it was to have to be around us while we were watching the races.  :)

My favorite story has been Ian Hutchinson. 5 years ago, there was a better-than-average chance they were going to have to amputate his left leg after a horrible British Superbike race at Silverstone. Fast-forward to the present, and he wins multiple IOMTT races...on a bike that's been modified for right-side shifting and with a thumb-controlled rear brake. That's a  :great: x 1000
If you can't be a shining example, at least you can be a horrible warning.

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:05:58 am »
It has been a blast to watch Ian race. Maybe it was the 2nd race he won, but right toward the end he went a bit wide on a left hand sweeper and got his rear tire into the grass. It's amazing he kept the bike upright and went on to win that race.

Too bad because of McDonald's crash that kept him out of contention. Bruce Anstey has also been fun to watch.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline ANZAC

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 10:07:05 pm »
Great news about Ian   :great:

Not for the faint of heart for sure.

Hope Guy gets his first win this year - he is overdue.

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 02:19:27 am »
Great news about Ian   :great:

Not for the faint of heart for sure.

Hope Guy gets his first win this year - he is overdue.

If he would win, he could use some of the prize money to take diction lessons.

I swear I only catch about every fourth word out of his mouth.

Offline ANZAC

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »
Guy Martin is one of a kind.  Trying to understand him while he talks is almost impossible.  Seems like the type of guy you could easily relate to and have a beer with.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 08:46:43 pm »
Guy Martin is one of a kind.  Trying to understand him while he talks is almost impossible.  Seems like the type of guy you could easily relate to and have a beer with.

Hi,
        Ok, now I get it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhA_U6LStQA
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 01:57:42 am »

Hi,
        Ok, now I get it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=EhA_U6LStQA

What language was he speaking? :))

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 05:02:10 pm »
That seems to be normal Queens English.  Just because we speak American it sounds funny.  He talks slow for a Brit. :)
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »
Hi,
         Having been to England and Scotland a few times, rest assured we sound "funny" to them!!! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 02:44:37 am »
I am sure we do, hell. Get told all the time I sound like a Okie,lived in Calif my whole life, born. In Texas but don't know how I can sound like a Okie.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 04:42:54 am »
I am sure we do, hell. Get told all the time I sound like a Okie,lived in Calif my whole life, born. In Texas but don't know how I can sound like a Okie.

I live in San Jose and the old timers who have ranches up in the Diablo Mtns just east of us have a southern, almost Texas drawl. So maybe to Texas folks you sound "different" and all they know that's different is Okie.

:))
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline IronButtAl

• Crotch Rocket
  • Southeast Area Director
    • Southeast Area Director
  • COG#: 5516
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 12:30:34 am »
I like speed, and bumping against the rev limiter. Do you? Seriously good watch here.
Here's Guy Martin going against Michael Dunlop for 17+ minutes around the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q
Biketoberfest COG breakfast meet on October 15th
SE calendar page has all of Daytona Biketoberfest details and COG sponsored events listed.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 11:57:31 pm »
I like speed, and bumping against the rev limiter. Do you? Seriously good watch here.
Here's Guy Martin going against Michael Dunlop for 17+ minutes around the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q

Hi,
       That has to be the most dangerous motorcycle ride in the world! :-[

500 year old stone walls, and houses,  right next to the road? :(

I mean if you go in to hot on a curve and lose it ,your not getting some hay bales and 50 yds to come to a stop! ;D

This vid sort of brought that home for me! Thanks! :great:

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:21:23 pm »
Hi,
       Saw this, shows MPH guys are running!

160 MPH mid air wheelie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtZlm9Lp7q4
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:30:24 pm by seagiant1 »

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 03:25:06 am »
Greg, if you think that's fun, you've got to see the sidecar racing. Wow!
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 11:19:08 pm »
Greg, if you think that's fun, you've got to see the sidecar racing. Wow!

Hi,
        Well...Like I said before, it slowly seeped in, this has to be probably the most dangerous thing you can do on a motorcycle! :-[

I never get tired of watching these guys/gals, running this course! ;D

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 07:52:14 pm »
Anyone catch the Real Roadracing series that's been on CBSSN (CBS Sports Network) over the last couple of months? It looks like they're mixing the danger of IOMTT (real roads, limited safety barriers, etc.) with traditional track racing (group starts, head to head racing). I've watched a few races, like the IOM Southern 100. Not bad, coverage is decent, and some new names make it interesting.

I currently have 7-8 saved on my TiVO for when I really start jonesing for race coverage, come Jan/Feb.

Offline 6thwisconsin

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12255
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 01:11:39 am »
The Isle Of Man TT is the most incredible experience. If you ever thought you would like to go, don't hesitate and just GO! It is considered one of the best motor racing (not just motorcycle racing) experiences in the world and I would agree. I was lucky enough to attend the TT in 2013 and to the Manx GP / Classic TT in 2014. Here is a post from about a year ago on the experience: 
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=51954.msg425960#msg425960
I would agree that I really enjoyed the side cars as well. We don't get much exposure to them in the USA.  The ones raced on the IOM are 600cc bikes and not even the F1 series! F1's are much bigger and probably very hard to pass on these narrow roads. the 600's run flat out much of the time!

Here is a video to the Classic Races in 2014 to give you a spectators perspective. TT is MUCH faster!

https://vimeo.com/150559320

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 01:31:23 am »
Anyone catch the Real Roadracing series that's been on CBSSN (CBS Sports Network) over the last couple of months? It looks like they're mixing the danger of IOMTT (real roads, limited safety barriers, etc.) with traditional track racing (group starts, head to head racing). I've watched a few races, like the IOM Southern 100. Not bad, coverage is decent, and some new names make it interesting.

I currently have 7-8 saved on my TiVO for when I really start jonesing for race coverage, come Jan/Feb.

Need to find this online - I cut the cord long ago. If you ever see this up somewhere without needing a cable subscription please advise :great:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 01:33:01 am »
The Isle Of Man TT is the most incredible experience. If you ever thought you would like to go, don't hesitate and just GO! It is considered one of the best motor racing (not just motorcycle racing) experiences in the world and I would agree. I was lucky enough to attend the TT in 2013 and to the Manx GP / Classic TT in 2014. Here is a post from about a year ago on the experience: 
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=51954.msg425960#msg425960
I would agree that I really enjoyed the side cars as well. We don't get much exposure to them in the USA.  The ones raced on the IOM are 600cc bikes and not even the F1 series! F1's are much bigger and probably very hard to pass on these narrow roads. the 600's run flat out much of the time!

Here is a video to the Classic Races in 2014 to give you a spectators perspective. TT is MUCH faster!

https://vimeo.com/150559320

The side car races at Barber Vintage are fun to watch if a bit slow. Would love to see them at high speed on that narrow course
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 03:06:17 pm »
Hi,
       Saw this, shows MPH guys are running!

160 MPH mid air wheelie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtZlm9Lp7q4

And how about when the road/race surface disappears in the shadows of overhanging trees at 150+

I would be going from >o< to >*< in a nanosecond.

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 01:17:15 pm »
I've been watching the coverage all week, and recently turned one of my brothers onto it too.

This weekend we were together at a family party. While my brother and I spent time talking about all the races, our wives spent the same amount of time complaining about how annoying it was to have to be around us while we were watching the races.  :)

My favorite story has been Ian Hutchinson. 5 years ago, there was a better-than-average chance they were going to have to amputate his left leg after a horrible British Superbike race at Silverstone. Fast-forward to the present, and he wins multiple IOMTT races...on a bike that's been modified for right-side shifting and with a thumb-controlled rear brake. That's a  :great: x 1000

One of the British magazines showed his rehab process as well as before and after  photos of his leg.   There are a few photos here that show just a tiny bit of what he went through.

http://ericsdailydiary.blogspot.com/2012/11/ian-hutchinson-closer-to-edge.html

Offline 6thwisconsin

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12255
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 12:42:56 am »
Here is one of my favorite viewing spots, Hillberry. This is from the Manx GP in 2014.

https://vimeo.com/156992923