Author Topic: 2017 National Rally dates  (Read 32177 times)

Offline MotoCommuter

• SE AAD GA
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7115
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: 2017 National Rally dates
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 06:05:50 pm »
Interesting.
Just went to their site, and got prices for booking a room, starting Sunday, for 5 nights......

$99 a room for this next coming week.

For a nobody, walking in, at online price. :-[

My math may be flawed, but discounted rooms for a group rate, with a year in advance, should be lower, not %25 higher.

MOB, apparently there are 2 other groups there other than COG and rooms are in short supply for that week next year. Room rates can be like airline tickets, they fluctuate up and down depending on occupancy levels at the hotel.
Kurt Brown - SE/AAD/GA
Barber Vintage Festival - Oct 5 - 8
Concours Carving The Cumberland - Apr 26-29, 2018

Offline LSGiant

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 06:34:26 pm »
Did the same thing 99 for 3 nights then 125

Anything farther out 159 just a last minute special
This year is for Peter, Live every day
In the Valley of the Jolly Green Giant,
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2016, 08:07:22 pm »
I just went to the site and the cheapest room was $121. What did I do wrong?
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2016, 08:22:02 pm »

Accounting to the brochure, you got the cheapest price....

<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2016, 08:30:51 pm »

Accounting to the brochure, you got the cheapest price....

Just want to know how the other guys got the $99 rate. I will probably be splitting a room with someone it looks like.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2016, 08:35:17 pm »
Well,
The 2017 rally is clearly out of the realm of affordability for this member.     Book those rooms folks,

Long gone are the days of venues with a modest but nice set of amenities, well suited to socializing, and choices of eating and affordability.  When japanese gardens, 55" big screen tv, parasailing, golfing, renting the facilities additional perks, spa treatment, etc., overcome the reason I personally go to a rally... I have to bow out.

I do apreciate the efforts by all Rally teams, always have, but the trend has gotten a bit too outside the box for me.
 :'(
+1

Yep, so much for COG being for the FRUGAL members anymore!!

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2016, 08:53:47 pm »
Just want to know how the other guys got the $99 rate. I will probably be splitting a room with someone it looks like.

Answer:

<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

Offline Max

• Scooter
  • CDA 264
  • COG#: 8762
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2016, 09:01:53 pm »
didnt see the camping option listed on the website, anyone got the info?

Offline WANDRNG

• Street Cruiser
  • SouthWest AAD
    • Wandering Back Roads
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12077
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2016, 09:09:49 pm »
When the 2017 National team releases more/all the information about the 2017 National Rally - there might be a lot more options and information that will help everyone make their decisions, rather than the small amount that's made it to the forum so far.

It has been less than 24 hours since the location was revealed yesterday. I'd bet that some of the 2017 team is still on the road going home from the 2016.

I can wait a bit for the details.

Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 -- 2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads: RRs -- Wandering the Northwest -- Heading East Out West

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 09:34:38 pm »
Interesting.
Just went to their site, and got prices for booking a room, starting Sunday, for 5 nights......

For a nobody, walking in, at online price. :-[

My math may be flawed, but discounted rooms for a group rate, with a year in advance, should be lower, not %25 higher.

MOB, apparently there are 2 other groups there other than COG and rooms are in short supply for that week next year. Room rates can be like airline tickets, they fluctuate up and down depending on occupancy levels at the hotel.

I didn't plug in the time next year noted as rally dates, because last night when I attempted it, it would not accept the resrvations that far in advance....

I plugged in current cost, for a room next week...... I.e. like I wanted a room for this coming Sunday....
Current room cost was $99 as I posted.
Sorry, I just can't justify the pricing

Oh, and we have seen the outcome when a venue tripple books like you are saying, and then all of a sudden, things radically change.... if rooms are really in short supply, the options need to be clarified... Johnson City was a great venue, but they did this to us, and double booked, killing one or two nights for some folks, at the time of arrival... I stayed across the street, had a bar, thai restaurant, pool, and nice time for $58 a night. I just had to walk across the street... I don't think walking across the street is an option on this proposal.
 :truce:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:02:55 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2016, 09:41:08 pm »
Attention North Central area, we need another option for lodging. Sorry but $600 for 5 days is out of range for many of us.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 09:51:52 pm »
Well,
The 2017 rally is clearly out of the realm of affordability for this member.     Book those rooms folks,

Long gone are the days of venues with a modest but nice set of amenities, well suited to socializing, and choices of eating and affordability.  When japanese gardens, 55" big screen tv, parasailing, golfing, renting the facilities additional perks, spa treatment, etc., overcome the reason I personally go to a rally... I have to bow out.

I do apreciate the efforts by all Rally teams, always have, but the trend has gotten a bit too outside the box for me.
 :'(
+1

Yep, so much for COG being for the FRUGAL members anymore!!

You and I have conversed about venues...even Saltfork was a winner pricewise, and Marietta, using the LaFayette, and the 6 other motels within one mile, on the Ohio and Muskingham rivers, were FRUGAL.... currently the "golf" 3 day packages, which had room,nawesome breakfast, greens fees, etc.... ran like $70 a day right now. I don't know how they do it, I don't really care, I just go to a rally to have fun with my friends, sit and tell lies, and do some riding... and eat GOOD food.

My wife, who I consider pretty level headed, after reading this all said... its becoming Elitest... I don't like it. Frugal is good.
I'll wait to see what the rally fee ends up at, and decide then if it is realistic... but the hotel clearly see's a cash Kaw,
The only KoolAid I drink is what I make. :beerchug:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2016, 09:55:59 pm »
Attention North Central area, we need another option for lodging. Sorry but $600 for 5 days is out of range for many of us.

$600?
You forgot to add in the tax, tips, and gratuities, and the fact everything you do besides sleep there, I.e. eat, drink, etc.,

Even if I Was earning the money I made when I attended the SilverDammit rally, I couldn't condone a $2k run for my wife and I.
And I added it all up on a spreadsheet.

Sorry
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:05:19 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 10:04:24 pm »

You forgot to add in the tax, tips, and gratuities, and the fact everything you do besides sleep there, I.e. eat, drink, etc.,

Even if I Was earning the money I made when I attended the SilverDammit rally, I couldn't condone a $2k run for my wife and I.
And I added it all up on a spreadsheet.

Sorry

I agree with the elitist remark. You are like me French's mustard, not Grey Poupon. I mean I love you guys and all that but I'm not gonna drop that kind of cash for a bike rally. I was really looking forward to next year but I am already getting discouraged.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »
I don't think it's elitist, I think the club is just growing. To attract more members, we need to offer more.

There seems to be a focus the last few year by the board to make rally's more impressive - more impressive locations, more ancillary stuff to do, bigger brand name vendors/supporters. And that's what is needed to grow. And so costs go up. But who are we competing with? BMWMOA? GWRRA? AMA?

Or are the people hosting the rally's trying to out do the previous ones?

I don't know, I have lots of questions, but no answers. And like Rich, I go to rally's to ride great roads, tell tall tales and lies(tm) and eat good food. I don't need fancy golf/marina resorts with a whole lot of other things to do.

But yeah, alternative (re:cheaper) lodging needs to offered, preferably within walking distance, and the camping options look pretty bad - either no amenities, or a long way from ground central. But, too late to change now.

Oh, and Jeff - making that statement that all I need to do is put ten bucks a week on the side to cover it is making a big presumption. How can you make a statement like that knowing nothing about me or my life?

Even on my Euro trips, I never paid that for a room, and that included full continental breakfast, and if at the rally site, a full dinner, also.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline MotoCommuter

• SE AAD GA
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7115
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2016, 11:32:29 pm »

There seems to be a focus the last few year by the board to make rally's more impressive - more impressive locations, more ancillary stuff to do, bigger brand name vendors/supporters. And that's what is needed to grow. And so costs go up. But who are we competing with? BMWMOA? GWRRA? AMA?

As the 2016 Rally Master, I can tell you that there was little/no involvement from the board in regards to this years rally. I was told the rally is mine to organize and run. As far as out doing the previous ones, no, we looked at past rallys and used what we thought were good ideas/activities and used them or tried to improve on them. My rally leadership team had countless conference calls in regards to the activities we wanted and how we thought the best way was to run them.

As far as selecting the location(s), each region has the opportunity to present to the board a proposal to host the National Rally. The board will then vote on the one they want to use. In our case we won by default as we were the only region that presented a proposal, it could be that this was the case again this year, don't know. If it was, instead of griping about it, maybe you (the COG membership) should get with your regions's AD and work on submitting a proposal for 2018 that you feel is more in line with what you feel a National Rally should be so the Board has more options to choose from.

Kurt Brown - SE/AAD/GA
Barber Vintage Festival - Oct 5 - 8
Concours Carving The Cumberland - Apr 26-29, 2018

Offline LSGiant

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2016, 11:47:56 pm »
I don't think it's elitist, I think the club is just growing. To attract more members, we need to offer more.

Oh, and Jeff - making that statement that all I need to do is put ten bucks a week on the side to cover it is making a big presumption. How can you make a statement like that knowing nothing about me or my life?

Jim the ten bucks a week was a statement for anyone. I should not have quoted no offense was intended if I did offend please accept my apologies.  I was just trying to put the cost in some kind of context.

I don't think anyone is trying to out do any one else. Its not like we have 3 or 4 groups competing to put on a national rally.  You hit the nail on the head the club is growing and the attendance at national rallies is growing also. Finding a venue with enough space is a huge challenge. I missed the Helen rally but the last 4 rallies I did attend did not have large enough space for all of us to comfortably sit down inside. Thank goodness that the weather cooperated for the ones that had us eat outside. I know we would no longer fit at the venue we used for the Wisconsin rally.

Who do we compare to I do not know. Here are couple of examples of rallies I looked at attending.

The FJR rally is in Red Lodge Montana lowest cost lodging at the host location is $125.00 per night.

The KTM national rally is in Deadwood SD.  Rally cost is $165.00 for a 3 day rally and lodging at the host hotel is $139.00 a night

This year is for Peter, Live every day
In the Valley of the Jolly Green Giant,
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline TomW

• Bicycle
  • CDA# 545
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2016, 01:18:51 am »
Dunno, this is my 2. year with the COG and I couldn't attend this years rally because my daughter is getting married. I was kinda looking forward to next year, but 600 bucks, and with me being Canadian it's more like 8-900 , just for accommodation it's too steep . Aren't there any cheaper hotels/motels around? My wife and I really don't want to sleep in a tent because of problems with neck and back.
Thanks,
Tom
2008 Concours 14
1998 Vulcan 1500 Classic
2000 Honda X11
1994 Yamaha XJR 1200
and a few more before....

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2016, 03:12:15 am »
Jeff - no worries, man. One of my pet peeves.

As for rally's having the group dinner outside, I know it's been going on since at least 2000, so it's nothing new. I hosted one under a huge event tent without sides at a ski resort on a mountain.

But who says the event location has to have everything in house? Somebody said the site has to have at least 200 rooms. Why? Figure most will be double occupancy and you can get by with 125 to 150, along with other less expensive lodging within walking distance, and camping within a short distance. Then look to rent a community hall for the banquet, which we did once in Colorado. Remember, most hotels in the places we want to go won't have group space for more than 150 people.

But my point is prices have been going up with no effort to keep them low, all in what appears to be a "one up on the Joneses." I know people who say "it's gotten to be too expensive, it's not the club we joined," and simply will not attend Nat'l rally's anymore. And this includes a couple of ex-Area Directors.

At least out here, our AD has decided to go back to basics for our regional this year. No rally fee, no t-shirt, nothing special - just get together, ride, eat and tell tall tales.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2016, 10:37:46 am »
Aren't there any cheaper hotels/motels around?
Yea, there usually is. I'm pretty sure the Rally team or some other local will come along with other options but I think the main goal has been to find that one place for everyone who wants to be together. It all depends on what kinda of rally experience you're looking for. If you go to hang out, mix and mingle with all the COG people every day/night, then you want to be at or close to Rally central. Personally, I don't need to be close to the action. So the cheaper place a few miles away (or usually in my case, the campground) is a better option for me.

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2016, 12:24:31 pm »
The $10 a week idea is too low, $10 x 52 = $520, 5 nights hotel is $605, Add in the state & local tax which usually about 12% combined is $77.60 so $682.60 for the room would be $13+ a week  . If you add fuel, food & everything else I would say a realistic weekly put away would be $20-$25 a week.
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2016, 01:34:32 pm »
Hey guys!  My wife is very excited about the spa and amenities of the rally hotel.  You should also remember, this is a popular resort area and, for those of you who don't want to spend the extra dollars,  there are plenty of cheaper options. Perhaps you should quit complaining and start looking.

FWIW, in 2008 at the COG At 10,000 Feet rally (Frisco, CO), rooms at the "overflow" hotel were about $78/night. These were off season prices (early June, too late for snow, too early for hiking). They are now about $90-$110/night for (approximately) the same time of year. The rally central hotel is currently about $128/night.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2016, 01:58:35 pm »
I made my reservations. I am looking forward to it.
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2016, 02:10:28 pm »
Perhaps you should quit complaining and start looking.
Complaining... yea, I guess you could call it that.
I'd rather think of it as the voice of the membership. Complaining should be used as a tool to gauge the attitude of the members.
I know years ago, when my ears where a lot closer to the driving forces in the group, the camping option wasn't very high on the important list. It was like: if you insist on camping, there are campgrounds within 50 miles but you're on your own... The last few rallies, it seems like it's really taken into consideration by the rally teams.

Anyways, I think it's very early in the game. I think more options will be uncovered...

Offline BackInTheSaddle

• Road Bike
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2016, 02:17:15 pm »
With just a little bit of looking I found several motels nearby in the $60-$80 range (cluster around Osage Beach) and Lake of the Ozarks State Park for under $20/night (all prices are for the high season).  This is all close enough to "commute" to rally central for events and socializing if you want to control your expenses.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, A (RIP)

Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650