Author Topic: 2018 National Rally - The Three Sisters Rally Kerrville, TX - SC  (Read 25661 times)

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: 2018 National Rally - The Three Sisters Rally Kerrville, TX - SC
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2018, 09:48:06 pm »
Jami and I just made it home. Awesome rally SC! :great:

Miles to Texas => 2,158 miles
Miles home => 2,044 miles
Longest day Bernalillo, NM to Heyburn, ID => 755 miles
Average miles a day => 600
Rode the Sisters with Cronic and Big Jim on Wednesday at rally => 234 miles
Yep, only rode one day at the rally :017:

Total 2018 Three Sisters Rally => 4,436 miles

Offline Eddie-FL

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7073
  • Membership Level: Industry Liaison
« Reply #251 on: June 18, 2018, 11:13:55 am »
Ranch Road 336, early this morning.

Hey, Patrick...didn't happen to find my GoPro along there, did you?  :??:
BTW, it was nice meeting you and having you in "the band"!  :)
Anderson, SC
2015 Suzuki DL650XT "Grey Ghost"
1969 Triumph Bonneville 
AMA# 686667 COG# 7073   CDA# 0136

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2018, 12:18:47 pm »
Eddie, It was nice meeting you guys as well.  Kind of fun being a choir boy....though it was tough memorizing ALL those lines... :41:. Didn't see your GoPro.  Would have helped look had I known.  I used about an inch of 3M tape and an eBay helmet mount for mine.  I was nervous about losing it so I had a tether mounted on the side.  (GoPro 4 Silver).

Hope someone finds yours and sees these posts.
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2018, 04:16:36 pm »
Judy and I got home yesterday..
   {We had to go to the ranch and do a little work before coming home}.

Marty, thanks for posting the songs!
  It's a shame "that guy" was blocking your video‚Ķ  (his screen name rhymes with "Got No Mild Jerky")

All of you that were at the BANQUET,,, Did ya'll notice the great singing from the COG Choir?
    {We practiced the songs for at least 15 minutes this year, and we were sober this time.}
                                                 :sign0103:

Eddie/Gumby/and the rest of the Choir,,,  ya did good.    {Sorry I sang the wrong words}..  :??:

{Patrick, thanks for "err" volunteering to join the choir}.
          (That will teach you "not" to be found in the Lobby when we're forming the Choir)

Rev, {I guess} you did ok too.
   {Maybe, next year,  ya should write the song several day's before we have to sing it}?
        NOTE: The Ri-tas''' helped us overcome the stage fright/terror. Thanx for those...

For those that stayed away because you wuz skert of the heat,,, "Ya messed up"!! 
Fred must have a Friend up there,, because the weather co-operated. :great:
      We had a nice breeze blowing the entire week, the mornings were cool {below 80*}, stayed in the 80's until noon each day.
        I think the hottest afternoon I saw was only 95*..            [Danged cool by Texas standards.]
   Even the Northern folk {NOTE: I opted to not say Yankee's} commented that it was more comfortable than they expected..

The Group rides went well.
   Gave the New Folks a chance to ride some great roads {Twisted Sisters} and they were able to meet other COGgers {"me" and others  :-\}.

For those that went with me on the Nimitz Museum Ride, hope you enjoyed it.   (I really didn't plan to have a flat tire)

My hat's off to Fred and his crew!

EVERYTHING was well organized!

Ya did good.   :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:
Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:18:25 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2018, 07:19:33 pm »
I pulled into the driveway in Manhattan, KS at 3:57 p.m. Saturday, after having overnighted in OKC Friday night and enjoying a lunch visit with my daughter in Wichita earlier Saturday.  Connie never missed a beat.  780 miles each way to Kerrville and back, plus about 650 miles riding locally for a total of about 2200, averaging 43 mpg.  And a permanent smile on my face.  I agree with Ted's comment about people choosing not to attend due to the "heat" as it was hotter at home all week than it was in the hill country.  Not by much, but it just made the afternoon pool dip that much nicer. 

As with all four of the rallies I've attended now, I had a blast.  The roads were way better than anything I have locally, the food was great, the WWII museum in Fredericksburg was just an awesome experience, and the hotel staff did a great job IMO.  I could go on but you get the idea.

A huge THANK YOU to the rally staff for putting on a no-stress event for the rest of us.  I'm sure Williamsport will be a similarly great time.

BTW, I hate to display my ignorance here, but can someone enlighten me on two items that were in the swag bags?  First, the green cloth, and second, the clear plastic pouch.  Do they have a specific purpose?  What am I missing?  I can put the light, the pen, and the insulated bag to good use, but I'm at a bit of a loss on the other two items...

Thanks!

Toby

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2018, 08:03:52 pm »
I know 1;  The green cloth is to moisten and wear around your neck.
I suspect;  The plastic pouch could be used to store the pre-wetted green cloth when your not wearing it?

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:16:01 pm by connie_rider »

Offline DAM1423

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10825
  • Membership Level: Membership Secretary
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2018, 08:12:51 pm »
Toby, The Green towel is a cooling towel, wet it, twirl it around and hang around the neck.
The pouch is a waterproof cellphone/MP3 player case.

Doug Meister

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #257 on: June 18, 2018, 08:13:01 pm »
The plastic pouch, is a waterproof phone pouch.  I know the newer larger phones won't fit in it, but the normal size ones do.  At the rally one of the attendees tested it at Schlitterbahn and she said everything stayed dry.  I would not do a test where you put your phone in it and dunk it under water, but our thinking was it would make a great pouch to use in your tank bag.  I plan to put my MP3 player in it.

The towel is a cooling towel.  Wet it and it is suppose to have a cooling effect.  I did not test it, but many riders use them by soaking them and wrapping them around their neck under their jacket.

Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2018, 04:34:02 am »

The towel is a cooling towel.  Wet it and it is suppose to have a cooling effect.  I did not test it, but many riders use them by soaking them and wrapping them around their neck under their jacket.

I use them all the time.  They work great!  Wet the towel.  Wring it out.  Then wrap it around your neck as Fred mentioned.   :beerchug:
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2018, 04:36:58 am »
Ranch Road 336, early this morning.
How are you liking that Versys Patrick? Looks very nice!

Rusty, The V1K is fun!  Feels like a dirtbike compared to my 09. 

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2018, 07:02:50 pm »
The plastic pouch, is a waterproof phone pouch.  I know the newer larger phones won't fit in it, but the normal size ones do.  At the rally one of the attendees tested it at Schlitterbahn and she said everything stayed dry.  I would not do a test where you put your phone in it and dunk it under water, but our thinking was it would make a great pouch to use in your tank bag.  I plan to put my MP3 player in it.

Ah, OK, got it.  The wet cloth idea is a good one, as I can now retire the well-used one I've had for the last few (?) years (and forgot to pack for the National).  And while my phone is a pretty tight fit in the pouch, I can think of several other uses for it, especially with the drawstring.  Good stuff Fred, and thanks again to you and the SC staff for a great time!

Toby

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2018, 07:56:48 pm »
Cindy & I got home late yesterday after going by Kansas City to visit with her 94 year old dad for Father's Day.

I've to to hand it to Fred and his crew for putting on a great rally. It was exceptionally well organized, the roads were better than expected, the temperatures weren't really bad until late afternoon, the hotel was great, etc. etc.  :)

One thing was really was welcome was that the rally central was open (seemingly) 24 hrs a day with someone that could assist or just chat. It provided a very useful location to talk to friends (new and old), get information/clarification, buy stuff (COG store or KLIM), etc. Great job! :great:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline funsize

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9297A
« Reply #262 on: June 28, 2018, 09:20:34 am »
I know this is late but THANK YOU Fred and rally staff.  The rally was awesome.  It was great getting together with family again.  Jorge and I were 7 miles from home when our motorhome decided to die.  It was towed and Jorge has been working on it.  Thankfully, he found what was wrong and now it's running!

Again, thank you to everyone who made the rally a success.  You guys are the best!

Irene Silva

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7763
« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2018, 01:58:02 am »
Finally collecting my marbles after getting home last weekend.  A big thank you to the rally team for a GREAT rally for this first timer!

The gathering room / route room was a great idea.  After volunteering to navigate for a group ride and not being needed the first day, I wandered into the room the next day just to see what was going on, having planned a rest day.  I ended up volunteering to navigate for a really great group of people and had an excellent time.  We ended up riding together another day as well.  Saw some old friends and made some new ones.  Felt welcome the entire time.

I made this trip into a 3 week, 6000-mile outing:  1 week there, 1 week in Texas, 1 week back to Pahrump.  Drank some drinks, ate some BBQ, laughed some laughs, smiled a lot, won a couple of prizes.  Smoked some cigars, a set of tires, a set of brake pads, and a set of rotors.  Had the time of my life.   ;D

Thanks again to the South Central crew for putting this on!

Edited to add:  To Bob Rainey and Rev Ryder:  My front fender rattled but made it home.  I've since fixed it with machine screws and nuts.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:12:18 am by CaffeineMan »
"You put antiseize on those, right?"

01 C-10, Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, Russell Day-Long saddle, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Cee Bailey windshield.
In process:  EBC rotors, Nissin 4-piston calipers

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #264 on: July 02, 2018, 12:34:49 pm »
Good to hear about the fender.
Was hoping it would hang on.
Assume it just needed tightening at the rivets?
See ya next year in Pennsylvania?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #265 on: July 02, 2018, 03:19:03 pm »
Edited to add:  To Bob Rainey and Rev Ryder:  My front fender rattled but made it home.  I've since fixed it with machine screws and nuts.

Thanks for that note.  Glad you made it and all the more happy you made it home safely.  We looked for you at the Tech Session, but someone said you had showed early and left.  Sorry about that or we would have gotten her fixed on the spot.  But we had a great session anyways thanks to lots of folks participating and offering advice and tips.  Hope to see you again soon, brother.  :beerchug:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7763
« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2018, 07:50:11 pm »
RE:  C-10 tech session

That was Wednesday and I was trying to get rid of my back spasms, so I was hanging in my room that afternoon, probably asleep.

The rivets were loose but rather than trying to tighten them or install new rivets, I decided on small machine screws and nuts instead.

I will be back to TX at some point, possibly Big Bend in 2019.
"You put antiseize on those, right?"

01 C-10, Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, Russell Day-Long saddle, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Cee Bailey windshield.
In process:  EBC rotors, Nissin 4-piston calipers

Offline Rastus

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12520
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:54 am »
I attended the 2018 rally in Kerrville. Unfortunately, it was at the end of a two week, 6000 mile ride through OK, CO, NM, and AZ. I live in Arkansas, which has some of the most fun roads in the country. The Three Sisters run was a disappointment. Rough roads with chunks of pavement missing in the worst places, no scenery, scrub brush. I believe you spent too much on the convention sight, and therefore could not afford to feed the riders more than Tex-Mex appetizers. Take a lesson from the Southeast chapter, those guys know how to rally!

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2018, 11:45:00 am »
I attended the 2018 rally in Kerrville. Unfortunately, it was at the end of a two week, 6000 mile ride through OK, CO, NM, and AZ. I live in Arkansas, which has some of the most fun roads in the country. The Three Sisters run was a disappointment. Rough roads with chunks of pavement missing in the worst places, no scenery, scrub brush. I believe you spent too much on the convention sight, and therefore could not afford to feed the riders more than Tex-Mex appetizers. Take a lesson from the Southeast chapter, those guys know how to rally!

Sorry you didn't have a good time, of course we try to please everyone, but as we know that is not possible.  I will agree to disagree with you about The Sisters, but that is what make COG great.
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #269 on: July 09, 2018, 08:41:50 pm »
As one of the many folks that put the Helen rally together, I have to really say that your SCCOG guys did a great job. Trying to compare the roads in ANY part of this country against each other is a fool's errand as EVERY location is different (often markedly so). On our rides, I found the roads to be in great shape with very light traffic. The banquet showcased the cuisine of the area (e.g. Tex-Mex). Cindy and I thoroughly enjoyed the rally and the area.  :great:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2018, 07:48:33 am »
I so glad that everyone had a great time, i so wish i could have been there.
Does any one know who won my Switchback lights for a C14?

No one has come forth as of yet and i still need to send them the install instructions.  :great:
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2018, 12:48:27 pm »
I so glad that everyone had a great time, i so wish i could have been there.
Does any one know who won my Switchback lights for a C14?

No one has come forth as of yet and i still need to send them the install instructions.  :great:
That is because it was a C10 rider.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

No, the rally crew makes sure C10 prizes go to C10 riders and vice versa. I don't know who won them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:15:46 pm by Gumby »

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2018, 02:52:37 pm »
Really,,,
No Replacement for Displacement