Author Topic: 2018 rally route request  (Read 606 times)

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9331
  • Membership Level: Active
2018 rally route request
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:01:22 am »
Just home from a fantastic time at the 2017 National Rally, kudos to all those that helped make it happen! Looking forward to Texas in 2018, I have a request for those in the area that will help with route planning. Anticipating Texas heat in June, some shorter loops (150-200 miles) would be of interest to myself and the folks I usually ride with, getting us back to rally central earlier to enjoy some of the other rally activities. Also, where possible, have a destination or point of interest somewhere around the midpoint of the ride. It serves for a good rest stop and photo op as well an opportunity to introduce us to your state! We enjoyed some incredible roads in Missouri and some good destinations, but scenic stops and points of interest seemed to be few and far between. Not complaining, I'm still grinning from the roads in Missouri, just offering my $.02 for the next rally. See you there!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: 2018 rally route request
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 05:12:27 pm »
Not sure how involved I will be but I was thinking the same kind of thing.  In MO. I got up early and rode from about 7 am to 1 pm.  That is the best way to beat the heat of the day.  That is the way I do most of my riding normally down here in the summer.  Maybe the rally can be planned more around a good afternoon siesta time.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:46:41 am »
Siesta is nice, so is an afternoon dip in the pool and loitering around the poolside bar!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline CaffeineMan

• Scooter
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7763
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 01:24:56 pm »
Locations of good restaurants, especially BBQ, that could be used as stopping points would be great as well.  I can certainly Yelp, but recommendations from the local COGnoscenti would be the best.
"You put antiseize on those, right?"

01 C-10, Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, Russell Day-Long saddle, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Cee Bailey windshield

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 04:26:57 pm »
I'm sure the Rally Team is working on the routes for the 2018 Rally.
But, we are a year away, so it will be some time until the routes are published.
   NOTE: I'm not involved in that. Have no idea of their plans.
             But {besides great roads} there is a lot to see and do in and near Kerrville.

Here are some random thoughts for; while your there. {or on your ride to/from Kerrville}
It might be a good option to take a swimsuit with you.
A trip to canoe or float down the Guadalupe River at New Braunsfield could be an option.
  The Schlitterbahm Water Park is there too. hint hint
Garner State park, (w/river swimming) is in the area.
San Antonio, with the Alamo and the River Walk is relatively close too.
   I've never done the River Walk, but I've heard of great restaurant's there too.

Ya'll have heard of Lukenbach Texas with "Wallin, Willey, and the boys"..  It's not far from the rally.
    If you go thru there, you could stop and see the {air conditioned} Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg.

Kerrville itself is an interesting little town, and also has a lot of BBQ joints and great Mexican food places!
  Every time I do the Hill country I ride to Llano to eat at Coopers BBQ.
       I'm sure I will be going to Cooper's at least once. I highly recommend Coopers!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 06:25:43 pm »
Lots of good suggestions and we're still nearly a year away. Looks like a great start!
COG 9331