Author Topic: OtP XV (2017) Is On!!!  (Read 11530 times)

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
OtP XV (2017) Is On!!!
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:51:27 am »
OK... it's OtP time again!

The 15th year of bridging the Atlantic (or English channel) through motorcycling is officially kicked-off.
This year, a fortunate COG member will get to go to Europe and ride around, and participate in the GTR Club meeting as well as other activities.

OK, so not everybody knows... What is OtP? :017:

Over the Pond takes a North America COG member, or a GTR Clubs member from Europe, over "the Pond" to visit the other side, once a year, alternating years. They often stay with club members, do some great riding, and participate in the rally of the hosting club. The clubs raise funds to make the trip as low cost as possible for the traveler. The funds are 100% from donations, with none coming from club funds, so it's up to us to keep this thing going!
In the next few months, there will be opportunities for club members to help financially. We will also have a 'donate" button on the COG & Forum webpages, and there will be other opportunities to contribute, including at least one auction.  One way to donate is via Paypal:   treasurer@cog-online.org
After many years, Ted (Connie_Rider) stepped down from coordinating this on the Western side of the Atlantic, and passed the baton to me. I hope to be half as effective as Ted was  :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Do a search for past OtP threads on the forum, and you'll see some great stories.

The traveler is selected by the clubs. Nominees are submitted, those meeting the requirements are contacted to make sure they can make the trip, their names published and the club votes to select the traveler. In case of a tie, there will be a runoff vote between the two tying nominees.
As with anything like this, there are rules.  :96:
They're meant to keep the process fair, and make it easier to manage it. The guidelines, rules, etc. are included below. The rules will cover who can be nominated, who can vote, etc. Please keep in mind that we are not lawyers (at least most of us), and show grace to us as there will always be room for improvement. If you have suggestions for improvement in future years, please send them via PM, or to the OtP email address below, instead of posting them, to keep the thread more focused.
As in past years, more than one thread on the subject will probably come up, but let's try to keep this one on track as the main communication for this great event. There is also announcements on Facebook that are posted by various people.
The rough timeline is also below, to help clarify when each step will take place. The dates are approximates, but any changes should be minor.
Please start considering who you will nominate, and get ready for the opening of nominations...

Any suggestions or comments, feel free to email me at:  otp@cog-online.org
Rules for nominating persons: Not much needed here... just nominate someone who really deserves this (or that you want gone for a while).
Send any nominations to me (not PM, help me keep things straight) at:    otp@cog-online.org
[/color][/color]

Nominee/Traveler Requirements:
1. "OtP" Team leaders and past "OtP" Travelers are NOT eligible.
2. Nominee must be a "current" COG or GCE member.
3. Nominee must have put on COG/GCE Events, Sponsored "OtP" Travelers, been a Team Leader on a COG/GCE National, held a Club Office, taken on a position of responsibility at club events, or have an extended history of helping the Clubs - Bottom line, must have been a "Worker" for COG/GCE)
4. During the nomination all candidates will provide information about riding skill/experience.
   This is to include; years you have ridden a large displacement bike, your riding preferences
      (tourer/twisty/enthusiast/racer/sporty/squirrel/etc)
5. During the nomination all candidates will provide information about their physical capabilities.
    (We added this so that Nominee's can determine if they are physically capable of such a trip, and to discuss concerns with the "OtP" Leads).  Nominee must be in good physical health and have time available for the trip.   (approx. 2+ weeks)
6. Nominee will be required to fill out 2 questionnaire's on themselves.
            Copy 1- The answers will be used to determine eligibility and as a means of introducing the Nominee to the club).
            Copy 2- TO BE POSTED BY THE CANDIDATES ON THE FORUM...
7. Traveler must have Medical Insurance. (In the event of an accident).
8. The selected Traveler will receive all funds we collect to support the trip. 
      * These $$ will be given to the Traveler prior to the trip.
      * Additional Funds "may" be received from Hosts throughout  the "OtP" Ride (while these would be nice, traveler cannot count on this).
       * Nominee must be willing (and able) to assume expenses above what is collected. Estimate of additional out of pocket expenses will not be greater than $2000
9. Nominee must have (or be able to quickly to get) a passport, prior to departure.
10. Nominee is not to be a frequent traveler to US/Europe. We hope to send someone who has "never" ridden in the US. (Military who served overseas are NOT considered frequent travelers)
11. We ("OtP" Team leads) will work to arrange a motorcycle for the Traveler.
    (We have always been successful in locating/find a Lender)
11a. The "Bike Lender" will be responsible of supplying a motorcycle that is safe to use for the trip.
11b. The "Traveler" is responsible for normal operating costs of the bike, and must assure the bike is returned in the same condition it is received. In the event of a normal break down, another bike will be sought, and repair/transport costs determined between Traveler and Lender.
11c. (*) The "Traveler" is responsible for any damages to the bike while in his use.
12. Insurance; Arrangements must be made to cover the motorcycle in the event of an accident.
      (Some motorcycle insurance may include medical insurance)
13. Travel period is still TBD, but will likely be more than 2 weeks total. Arrival date in Europe is approx. June 1st, departure will be following the GTR meeting. (Actual dates will be determined during trip planning).
14. If the Traveler chooses to do additional sightseeing after his "OtP" Ride, we will try to assist, but any additional travels are at the Travelers expense. In other words, if you decide to stay longer,,,,  "We'll try to help, but You're on Your own dime"
15. After the "OtP" ride, the Traveler is required to write a report of the trip. The report is to be published in the Concourier and also at a webversion on the GCE-site.
16. Nominee may be asked to make a short presentation at the 2017 "COG National", and possibly the GCE Rally
17. "Nominee/Traveler" will be expected to taste a special, tasty Delicacy, maybe more than one...
          (NOTE: We will arrange a "special" delicacy to be used for tasting. <evil grin> - tradition from past OtP trips
18. During the trip, the Traveler is requested to keep a record of all "OtP" money received and used during their trip.
    (The record keeping will make it easier for the "OtP" team to estimate {total costs} for future "OtP" "Travelers").
19. After the trip, (if any donated funds remain) we ask the Traveler to return unused "OtP" Funds.
        {to be used by the next Traveler}.

Requirements for Voting
1) Current COG/GCE Members are entitled to 1 Vote.
2) An Associate Member {of a Current COG/GCE Member} is entitled to 1 vote.
3) Significant Others {That are NOT Associate members}, can vote 1 time.
       BUT (before Voting) a $10 Minimum donation must be made to "Over the Pond" by that person.
4) Forum Subscribers (with a minimum of 20 posts, and registration prior to OtP announcement date) can vote 1 time, but before voting a $10 Minimum Donation must be made to "Over the Pond" by that person.
5) Non-Members can vote 1 time, but before voting a $15 Minimum donation must be made to "Over the Pond" by that person

Approximate Timeline:
Date   Event
16-Jan   Announce start
17-Jan   Donations & Pledges start
22-Jan   Open Nominations
8-Feb   Close Nominations
10-Feb   Contact Nominees

14-Feb   Nominees finalized
16-Feb   Post Nominees
20-Feb   Voting Starts
13-Mar   Voting ends
18-Mar   Winner selected
19-Mar to 25-Mar Winner & Runner-up contacted
29-Mar   Winner & Runner-up Presented
5-Apr   Begin travel arrangements
19-Apr   Complete initial travel arrangements
25-Apr   Tickets purchased
1-Jun   Traveler arrives in country
07-Jun to 11-Jun   Participation in GTR Meeting
??   Traveler returns home
17-Jun   Donations & Pledges Conclude
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:01:24 am by Jorge »

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: OtP XV (2017) Is On!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:26:36 am »
Yahoo, it's started!     Go Jorge,,,,, GO!!!!

To all COGgers. (This is one of the benefits of you being a COGger)

The Traveler will be selected from the members of COG.
                That COGger will be going to Europe to ride!!

If your a COG member, "YOU" could be that person.
Read Jorge's information to see if you qualify.

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:56:25 am »
Oh my! OTP season is longer than football season.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:28:46 am »
and better with fewer whiners!

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:50:46 am »
Ok everybody, Donations can start coming in.
The original thread above edited to include the Paypal account: treasurer@cog-online.org
and email address for any comments, questions, etc. on OtP directly:  otp@cog-online.org

Thanks to all!!

Offline COG-528

• Crotch Rocket
  • Tilting horizons since 1982.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:51 am »
An important tradition of OTP has been the floggings administered to Ted Adcock a.k.a. connie_rider by Hans using the elegant Flog-O-Matic designed by Harry Martin.

Now will Ted still be the recipient of the floggings :hitit::nananana: . . . or will Hans now be flogging poor, innocent, Jorge? :'( 

Enquiring minds want to know.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:54:38 am by COG-528 »
Mike Aldea, COG-528
Hawthorne, NJ   

Touring broadens horizons . . . Sports Touring tilts them!

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 01:38:00 pm »
I vote for Ted... After all the work he did for years, I think it only fair that he experience some of the best parts of OtP

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 02:42:56 pm »
Hey Jorge, do nominations get submitted to you?
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Kawasaurus

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12215
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 05:21:52 pm »
yeah, that's great!

Here in Europe, the longtime OtP host, Bike Loaner, communication point, and travel guide Bernd Neumann wants to resign for health reasons.

He asked me if I wanted to take over his previous tasks for OtP - yes, I want.

However, I will need his support and assistance from all previous team members and his know how to cope with these tasks.

I will do my best, and hope that my best will be good enough.

Greets from the Austrian Alps and the Lake Constance...
follow me - if you can...
COG MiD #757809
living in Austria, Europe close to the lake Constance(Bodensee)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtjYZY0ZzYfKZVCXmQeGO1w

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 09:09:17 pm »
Dave, thanks for the good question... yes, to me. I added a line clarifying this.

Ralf,
Sorry to hear about Berndt... and thank you for stepping up.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »
Jorge when you volunteered to be the OtP Guru,,, it included all the fringe benefits.
One of those (uh/err) benefits is workout's with Hans and the Flog-"O"-Matic.  :rotflmao:
Congratulation's!!!!  (You lucky Devil!  :great:)

Besides,,,, I've already had enough experiences with the Flog-"O"-Matic.

Ok, Donation process has started...
I see that the Nomination process has started today...

Can you post info on "who" can Nominate and how many can one person nominate??

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:56:32 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 07:02:51 pm »
As I'm still a slave laborer with OtP, I have an arrangement with Hans that guarantees that Ted will still enjoy numerous sessions with the Flog-o-matic.   :)

Now, no one tell Ted  :-X  but Hans (secretly) had a "tracking chip" installed on Ted when Ted was tagging along on the OtP with Al and Gary. The Flog-o-matic will find him no matter where he is. If any of the team is being flogged, Ted will be too. :rotflmao: :great:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 10:43:51 am »
Nominations are starting to come in.
Here's your chance to give back to that COGger who's always doing something for the club!

BTW... Jim, if I volunteer to get flogged, does Ted get one also?   Might just be worth it

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 11:53:55 am »
Yep. If any of us are subjected to a flogging, Ted gets one too.  :great:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Kawasaurus

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 05:31:01 pm »
hey guys, whats the matter with the COG-website? i cannot find any link to the 2017 OtP schedule...
have they forgottten to actualize the website?
COG MiD #757809

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 12:51:06 am »
Hi Ralf,
I included the schedule in the original post at the top of the thread... are you referring to another location?
Let me know if I missed a step. Thanks!

Guys & gals... keep the nominations coming.

Jorge

Offline Kawasaurus

• Mini Bike
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 08:34:55 am »
yeah, it is:

click on the header menu on the COG-logo then you get another menu, there click on "about COG" and in the scrolldown bar on "Over the Pond (OtP)"

there is a note : "Placeholder for future OtP home page"
COG MiD #757809

Offline COG-528

• Crotch Rocket
  • Tilting horizons since 1982.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 06:27:14 pm »
Yes the OTP Home page is missing.  But all the way to the right on that page is a Blue Box that says:

Fundraising
     Campaigns
Over The Pond 2017

That last line is a hyperlink just like above.  It would be nice if someone created an OTP Home Page since the space has been allotted for one.  But the question then is who is going to create it and exactly what will it contain. 

The fundraising page has a quick history of OTP but includes a factual error.  It says:

Boomer was a good Forum Friend of many COGgers.
emphasis added

The error is that there was NO FORUM 15 years ago!  OTP was an outgrowth of conversations on the COG Email List Server which still exists and is hosted by Micapeak.com.  The List Server is no longer as active as it once was but it is still active and monitored by older members who helped start OTP.  So, out of respect for the founding supporters of OTP, that sentence should read:
Boomer was a good friend of many COGgers who were active on the COG Email List Server.  The COG List Server was how COGgers interacted online before there was a COG Forum.

Mike Aldea, COG-528
Hawthorne, NJ   

Touring broadens horizons . . . Sports Touring tilts them!

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 01:12:12 am »
Hi Mike,

You are correct, the OtP home page is so far a place holder. I'm working on the content.
The plan is for it to include description of the program, rules/guidelines, history, and stories from past travelers. The content will come in piecemeal, in order to get stuff in earlier, rather than wait until it's all completed before putting any of it up.

Look for the first installment in about a week or so.

I would greatly appreciate crrections to any errors in the content!  Please send any corrections to otp@cog-online.org

Thanks Mike :beerchug:

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 07:02:38 pm »
WE need more NOMINATIONS!!

As Nominations come in, the Nominee's are immediately contacted to see if they accept the nomination.
   As I understand, most of the folks this year have had to turn down the nomination.

Think of ** worthy COGgers
   {that have worked to make COG "great"}
                      'and'
              NOMINATE THEM NOW!!!

{ie; ** Folks that put on events, hold positions in COG, help with the work that gets done, etc, etc, etc.}

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:06:33 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 08:38:06 pm »
I tried to nominate but I found a failed delivery notice in my spam folder so I am not sure it went through.  I PMed Jorge to see if he got it and he has not replied.  There could be a problem with the otp@cog-online.org address.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 09:01:11 pm »
I nominated Ted, but that was definitely returned as spam!   :D :nananana: :nananana:
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 09:16:21 pm »
Sport Rider, I are NOT "spam".
         I are Prime Rib!!
         {thinkaboutit}   :-[

PS: I nominated "me" too..... <evil grin>
           {Unfortunately} Hans replied with somethin' about a floggin'..  {GLOOM}

Bob, PM sent your way.
I'll ping Jorge.

Ride safe, Ted

MORE NOMINATIONS!!
         We NEED MORE NOMOINATIONS!!!!!
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 02:06:04 am »
I agree with Ted... Spam is actually quite lean :rotflmao:
Ted would be ham

Not sure what happened with Bob's email to otp@cog-online.org
I did a test message form my Gmail account, and it went through OK; maybe Bob is spam. We'll fugur eit out.

As I receive nominations, I'll reply to the nominator to confirm I received the message.  - KEEP THEM COMING!

Jorge

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 01:44:51 am »
OK guys... we have had a number of nominations, most have declined for various reasons, so send in some more.