Author Topic: Question and Observation about this years National  (Read 21519 times)

Online connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Question and Observation about this years National
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2016, 04:27:55 pm »
Dang!!!
I was hoping I hurt your feelings!
                ;) >:D

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2016, 06:01:42 pm »
Having all the areas in one room was much better than the other sites (I know, couldn't be helped) because it made it easy to navigate. I  especially liked the sequential check in area (nice job Rally Team).  I must confess, too that having all of them together helped with keeping all stations open when volunteers (like me - sorry) who ducked out for something  (a Flash session) that popped up. I promise not to do that again.  :-[ 
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10361
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2016, 06:18:26 pm »
This is great discussion and a lot of good points have been made.  I stayed at the Best Western in Helen rather than the Helendorf after doing some pretty simple research on both properties.  I never felt disadvantaged by having to hoof it between the two.  And yes, I felt that having a single room for registration, first-timers, hospitality, town hall, and Rally Central all together was a bit of a shouting match at times, but I certainly understand why this happened, so no big deal.  And while I also thought the town hall was a bit abruptly ended, I can understand the reasoning there, too.  Again, NBD.     

Having a bit of experience planning this sort of thing for a different group, I think it's obvious that some well-meaning folks just don't comprehend the magnitude of difficulty inherent in pulling off an event like this.  Just an observation, not intending to offend anyone at all.  Sure, it would be great to find a rally location that

1. has terrific roads, and
2. terrific weather, and
3. is centrally located for all, and
4. has one single hotel capable of providing rooms for 300-400 attendees, and
5. has multiple meeting rooms for separate uses, and
6. has affordable room rates, and
7. has lots of fun activities reasonably close by, and
8. has restaurants that are open when they say they will be (right, Dave Scott?), and
9. well, you get the idea.

In short, places that fill the bill 100% are few and far between, so the point is that most years all you can do is compromise, hope you're hitting most of the requirements, and in turn hope you do right by the majority.  It is truly a thankless job sometimes.  Next year's location and host hotel may come pretty close to hitting most of those items.  Not sure how I'm going to pass the next 11 months waiting, though... :beerchug:

I don't go to the National to critique the logistics.  I go to ride the roads in an area that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, and to continue to put names to faces (and forum handles).  Cortez was great, Helen was great.  Somewhat different, but great nonetheless.           

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • COG#: 6497
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2016, 06:33:24 pm »
This is great discussion and a lot of good points have been made.  I stayed at the Best Western in Helen rather than the Helendorf after doing some pretty simple research on both properties.  I never felt disadvantaged by having to hoof it between the two.  And yes, I felt that having a single room for registration, first-timers, hospitality, town hall, and Rally Central all together was a bit of a shouting match at times, but I certainly understand why this happened, so no big deal.  And while I also thought the town hall was a bit abruptly ended, I can understand the reasoning there, too.  Again, NBD.     

Having a bit of experience planning this sort of thing for a different group, I think it's obvious that some well-meaning folks just don't comprehend the magnitude of difficulty inherent in pulling off an event like this.  Just an observation, not intending to offend anyone at all.  Sure, it would be great to find a rally location that

2. terrific weather, and
8. has restaurants that are open when they say they will be (right, Dave Scott?), and

In short, places that fill the bill 100% are few and far between, so the point is that most years all you can do is compromise, hope you're hitting most of the requirements, and in turn hope you do right by the majority.  It is truly a thankless job sometimes.  Next year's location and host hotel may come pretty close to hitting most of those items.  Not sure how I'm going to pass the next 11 months waiting, though... :beerchug:

I don't go to the National to critique the logistics.  I go to ride the roads in an area that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, and to continue to put names to faces (and forum handles).  Cortez was great, Helen was great.  Somewhat different, but great nonetheless.           

Wow Toby, you pretty much nailed it all right there. That combo is more than a little difficult to put together. If it weren't for the desire to move the rally around the country, it would be so much simpler to find the perfect venue in Lebanon, Kansas (the geographic center of the lower 48) and have it there every year.  :)
Brian in Minnesota

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »

2. terrific weather, and

I agree with this post, and have yet to thank Kurt and his wife and SE crew for a great and well done job.   :beerchug:  From my perspective, it was all very well done. Opened my eyes to great riding in that entire area. I'm coming back!  If your are ever on the fence about attending a National Rally, jump in and do it.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2016, 07:11:47 pm »
Wow. Lebanon KS! Maybe we could do a RTS (Ride to See) the World's Largest Hand Dug Well, the Barbed Wire Museum, and the buffalo herd in Hayes? (Or not...) Sort of the No Corners Rally... :motonoises:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2016, 07:15:51 pm »

2. terrific weather, and

Wow Toby, you pretty much nailed it all right there. That combo is more than a little difficult to put together. If it weren't for the desire to move the rally around the country, it would be so much simpler to find the perfect venue in Lebanon, Kansas (the geographic center of the lower 48) and have it there every year.  :)

See what you've done?  Everybody that's read your comment will be Googling Lebanon, Kansas.  And leaving disappointed...

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2016, 07:17:30 pm »
Wow. Lebanon KS! Maybe we could do a RTS (Ride to See) the World's Largest Hand Dug Well, the Barbed Wire Museum, and the buffalo herd in Hayes? (Or not...) Sort of the No Corners Rally... :motonoises:

Small.  Hot.  Straight.  Perfect for 2018...

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2016, 07:21:25 pm »
Oh wow. Need tire and changer sponsors as well as cooling gear. Talk about a target rich environment.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline laker9142

• Moped
  • COG#: 8680
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2016, 02:24:00 pm »

[/quote] I agree with this post, and have yet to thank Kurt and his wife and SE crew for a great and well done job.   :beerchug:  From my perspective, it was all very well done. Opened my eyes to great riding in that entire area. I'm coming back!  If your are ever on the fence about attending a National Rally, jump in and do it. [/quote]

+1

Plus I need to add that I won a $100 daily drawing prize. And a nice plack for best engineered C14. So thanks to everybody involved for both of those items.

I'm looking forward to next year. And to the first timers, just keep coming back. The second time is easier because you've got a better idea of how it all works. At least that's how it worked for me.

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2017, 11:00:13 am »
Old thread but worthwhile thought: one destination per day with a meeting point and a lunch point. Riders will self organize at the meeting point.
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden

Don't be a spectator in life. Be a participant...

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2017, 11:13:38 am »
Old thread but worthwhile thought: one destination per day with a meeting point and a lunch point. Riders will self organize at the meeting point.

So possibly 100 riders show up at on one spot ?  Sounds problematic to me. Most lunch spots are overwhelmed with 20 riders.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2017, 11:34:03 am »
If you see a hundred Riders lineup you would be wise to do the obvious  but right now our problem is the opposite
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden

Don't be a spectator in life. Be a participant...

Offline kathybrj

• Road Bike
  • I'm just having dessert and liquor
  • COG#: 9331A
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2017, 11:48:02 am »
Blaise and I were newbies at the 2011 National in Vermont. We ended up meeting another newbie at breakfast and rode with him. Then the group expanded as we met people in the parking lot at the hotel. When all of the bikes are in one spot and people are mingling in the evening and chatting it's easier to find people to ride with. The last few rallies we've been to seem to have people staying in different places. We don't always stop at rally central in the mornings. At Johnson City where there was a breakfast buffet each morning we would pick up riders for the day. Maybe not being centralized is part of the problem. This year bikes were parked in front of one build and others were in another lot, etc. We used to enjoy looking at the bikes in the evenings and starting conversations that led to "hey, want to ride tomorrow with us?". That's just my 2 cents.
2014 Honda CTX700......usually right behind the hubby's '12 Connie....

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12323
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2017, 11:55:01 am »
As a first time attendee I asked about riding and was told that there were no group rides due to insurance.  I wound up riding by myself down to Arkansas, ate lunch then headed to the marker where AR, OK & MO meet, then on to the marker where OK, MO & KS meet, then back to the Lodge.  502 miles for the day.  Had a good time and was tired, but would've been nice to have had company.

Offline Robby1953

• Road Bike
  • 2003 Vulcan 800, 2006 Mean Streak 1600, 2010 C14
  • COG#: 11452
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2017, 12:02:22 pm »
Blaise and I were newbies at the 2011 National in Vermont. We ended up meeting another newbie at breakfast and rode with him. Then the group expanded as we met people in the parking lot at the hotel. When all of the bikes are in one spot and people are mingling in the evening and chatting it's easier to find people to ride with. The last few rallies we've been to seem to have people staying in different places. We don't always stop at rally central in the mornings. At Johnson City where there was a breakfast buffet each morning we would pick up riders for the day. Maybe not being centralized is part of the problem. This year bikes were parked in front of one build and others were in another lot, etc. We used to enjoy looking at the bikes in the evenings and starting conversations that led to "hey, want to ride tomorrow with us?". That's just my 2 cents.
You're not the only one to think that, we notice this year that there wasn't really a Rally Central, people were split up among the many different models of the lodge. Some meet people at the banquet that they knew but didn't know we're there!
'A clear conscience is often the first indication of a failing memory." Unknown

Offline Robby1953

• Road Bike
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2017, 12:10:20 pm »
I even suggested to a prominent member of of this forum that I'd sure like to get together for a ride, twice, and was not invited to join the group, ended up riding alone which I can do here without spending $650 for four nights at a lodge.
Okay now flame away!
 :truce:

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2017, 12:25:19 pm »
/a
I even suggested to a prominent member of of this forum that I'd sure like to get together for a ride, twice, and was not invited to join the group, ended up riding alone which I can do here without spending $650 for four nights at a lodge.
Okay now flame away!

Is this your first rally ? Did you ask anyone else ? I believe I talked to the gentleman that went to Arkansas I talked to him about the routes and showed him how far the place was he wanted to go to.

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2017, 12:27:59 pm »
I guess I do not understand the "problem".   All I am saying if if you make an official meet point and time a high percentage of riders at a national will arrive.  Also my experience is those that do arrive are expecting to be lead by someone else.  Best group size for a ride is 4 or 5 any more than that it becomes a challenge and a traffic hazard.

Please explain who is going to lead these riders when they show up at the meet point ?  Is the rally team going to designate official ride leaders ? Can next years team put you down as one these ride leaders ?

This is discussed every year I have lead rides with new folks at nationals all they did was asked me where I was going and if they could come along. Some of the times the group was to big but we went anyhow. Sometimes I am sure they wished they had went on their own.  I am fairly confident that if anyone had asked anyone of the 7 riders I came down with if they could ride along they would not have been denied.

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12323
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2017, 02:57:11 pm »
Just to clarify my earlier post- I am not complaining or blaming anyone for having to ride by myself.  We had a crazy start to the trip, basically drove straight from VA to MO, registered at Lodge & in with COG then passed out until mid Tuesday.  Missed the Monday night sandwich social, and Wed. Ice Cream social- all MY fault.  Made the banquet and got to sit with some REALLY cool people- I'm sure had I met people Monday evening I'd not have ridden alone.

Lessons learned for next year!!

And I sat next to LSGiant on the Tuesday dinner cruise, met buggnut and Jorge there.  Met ron203 at the banquet, Connie_Rider, RangerJim, etc.  GREAT TIME!!!

Online connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2017, 03:31:05 pm »
Well said GK.
  Your post fit perfectly with the note I had just typed... {see below}

I understand their point, and wish I had a solution.
  The older guys, meet friends and form a ride group. Often forgetting the new guys.
    This is NOT intentional. It is not the first time we have heard of this.
           It just happens. Too often.

Note; This year, my normal riding Buddies were not there, so I looked around, saw folks I knew, and asked to join their group.
         This was relatively EZ for me because, "I know others", and most know my riding abilities {or lack of them]}
         Bottom line: I was able to find others to ride with.
           The new guys, don't have this advantage, and it's hard to just walk up to someone you don't know and ask to go with them.
           Next Rally, those same Ex-First Timers will know folks, they will form their own groups, and {maybe} forget next years First Timers.     
           Yes, the cycle can continue.. {Thinkaboutit...}

No one has found a way to better include the First Timers... {yet}
I hope to improve the First Timers experience at the next National.
Please help me do so.

NOTE:  I don't want to beat this topic to death on this discussion.
           I think this National was great and the Rally Team did a fantastic job.
           Let others list their Questions and Observation about this years National here. 
                I'll start another discussion. There, we can discuss idea's.
                      Here: http://forum.cog-online.org/rallies-rides-and-events/ways-to-help-first-timers-enjoy-the-national-more/

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:43:30 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2017, 03:54:10 pm »
Just to clarify my earlier post- I am not complaining or blaming anyone for having to ride by myself.  We had a crazy start to the trip, basically drove straight from VA to MO, registered at Lodge & in with COG then passed out until mid Tuesday.  Missed the Monday night sandwich social, and Wed. Ice Cream social- all MY fault.  Made the banquet and got to sit with some REALLY cool people- I'm sure had I met people Monday evening I'd not have ridden alone.

Lessons learned for next year!!

And I sat next to LSGiant on the Tuesday dinner cruise, met buggnut and Jorge there.  Met ron203 at the banquet, Connie_Rider, RangerJim, etc.  GREAT TIME!!!

Then let me be the first to invite you to ride NEXT year (or any other time we're in proximity.) The first year I went, I rode once with another new guy and never saw him again. The second year, I rode with my local riding buddy who went along with me (some) and also alone with my wife. It just gets better!
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Robby1953

• Road Bike
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2017, 04:03:04 pm »
/a
Okay now flame away!

Is this your first rally ? Did you ask anyone else ? I believe I talked to the gentleman that went to Arkansas I talked to him about the routes and showed him how far the place was he wanted to go to.
My fourth rally, yeah I know problems all mine not complaining just going to bow out quiet, sort of.
But bye the way, did you ask that gentleman to join your ride? Just curious.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2017, 04:12:39 pm »
Don't go anywhere, let's just fix it for next year.  ;)
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2017, 04:31:47 pm »
/a
Okay now flame away!

My fourth rally, yeah I know problems all mine not complaining just going to bow out quiet, sort of.
But bye the way, did you ask that gentleman to join your ride? Just curious.

I told him I was riding the gravel roads the next day and after that to look me up as I did not have a schedule.  My priorities were to help people with GPS issues, Dinner cruise, and tech session.  I only rode a shortened Dam route and over to Ha Ha Tonka park. The trip to Ha Ha Tonka included stops at stores to pick up things for the rally not a great ride.

I will move to the other thread that Ted started.

This is your 4th rally was it better at one of those ? Please answer in Teds Thread.