Author Topic: Question and Observation about this years National  (Read 16035 times)

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
Re: Question and Observation about this years National
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2017, 10:58:43 am »

Quick Story; At my first National's, I wanted to meet folks.
So, I signed up to work in Registration or to be a Greeter.
Since then, I still try to help out at each one in some manner..
I'm not special, just think getting involved is a great way to meet new folks.

Bottom Line; The more you put into COG, the more you'll get out of it.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted's right about the bottom line. My first National, last year, was an OK experience but I wasn't able to get past the handshake point with more than a couple of people. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm an extreme introvert (a disease Ted doesn't appear to suffer from!).

This year, attending as the Concourier editor, I had a lot more fun since there were people I wanted to meet in person after working with them on my first issue, plus I knew I needed to be more involved to get pictures and try to get stories for an article. I was going from early morning until late in the evening every day and still didn't accomplish everything I intended or meet everyone I was hoping to see. Makes me look forward already to next year.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2017, 01:13:44 pm »
Actually, I'm very shy.

I have a question for the folks that camped this year.
I went over to the camping area several times.
As I pulled into the area, I saw several single tents off to the side.
In several, someone appeared to be there alone.

Were those First Timers?
If so, did they meet the group and get involved.
Did anyone from the group reach out to them?

If not, how can the camping be improved to include new folks better?
ie; Is there (or should there be) nightly campfires etc?

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:59:50 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2017, 02:02:52 pm »
Now, you two have ME thinking. I'm an Introvert, too. We use personality assessments at work so I know I am. Wonder how common that is among motorcyclists?  I think that's why I like riding alone so much. I'm not anti-social, I'm just comfortable alone or in small groups and don't go looking for company as a rule.

When I camp, I camp "alone" like Ted pointed out because I like quiet and I know I snore.  Maybe some of those "outlier tenters" want some space. That's okay by me, too. My wife on the other hand is totally extroverted. She told me that we  should have interacted more with others at the campground. We did some, but it was not the first thing on my mind. My bad.
2014 C-14

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2017, 02:10:37 pm »
Now, you two have ME thinking. I'm an Introvert, too. We use personality assessments at work so I know I am. Wonder how common that is among motorcyclists?  I think that's why I like riding alone so much. I'm not anti-social, I'm just comfortable alone or in small groups and don't go looking for company as a rule.

When I camp, I camp "alone" like Ted pointed out because I like quiet and I know I snore.  Maybe some of those "outlier tenters" want some space. That's okay by me, too. My wife on the other hand is totally extroverted. She told me that we  should have interacted more with others at the campground. We did some, but it was not the first thing on my mind. My bad.
It's probably pretty common. That might account for some of the things we see at the Nationals, too, beyond what has been discussed in this thread and elsewhere.

I started out in the "outlier" section because when I arrived Monday morning I couldn't find a flat spot in the back under the trees. I moved up by Ron's camper since we seemed to start putting tents everywhere later Monday and my tent got so hot Monday evening that my laptop's thermal protection kicked in. Having the tent in the sun from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. wasn't going to work regardless of how little time I was spending in it. Being there or next to Ron's camper didn't keep me from interacting as much as the busy days did. By the time I made it back in the evenings, I was ready to cash it in. Had I had more time in the evenings, I would have wandered over to the common area and joined the bench racing.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2017, 03:15:14 pm »
I'm the total opposite. If I have to ride alone, I don't ride.
I don't camp because I like to be "at" Rally central. {plus the hard ground kills my "old" back}
 This year I considered going to the camping area in the evenings, to see if anyone needed a ride. (But, I didn't. My bad)

So, next question;
If I hade made it EZ-ier to go to rally central in the evenings,,, would the campers (including introverts) come out to visit?

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:16:52 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »
Gee Ted. What makes you think there wasn't plenty of camaraderie at the campground?  :??: I usually camp at most of the regional rallies I attend (unless I've got a cabin partner to share the cost) and I've always enjoyed hanging out around the campfire but then I'm a SECOG guy and camping is kinda what we do. I've camped at two of the dozen National rallies (Fontanna and Tomah) and I'd have to say there's more social interaction around the campfires than at many of the rally centrals. Some of the rally centrals were better than others but it seems at most of them there would be "clumps" of folks scattered around. At the campground you're usually in your tent or at the campfire.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2017, 04:17:50 pm »
 Jim's right. The campfire is a gathering spot. In Helen last year it was huge. Lots of fun.

I was at rally central three night with the SE social, ice cream social, town hall, banquet and the other night on the cruise. Like Ed, when I got back, I was pooped and just sat and had a beer, then went to bed. It was only a mile.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:24:32 pm by ron203 »
2014 C-14

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1374
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2017, 07:32:53 pm »
I don't know about anyone else, but me, I'm a "early-to-bed-early-to-rise" kinda guy. It's not that I'm shy, or an introvert... its because by 9PM I'm already asleep... sometimes before my body even makes it to bed.   ;D  I suspect it is the same for many others too. (Sheesh... after being retired for over a year and a half I still get up before 4:30 every morning!) While on vacation I struggle to adjust to other "normal" peoples schedule. I about drove my roomie nuts at the national! I'd get back from my morning walk after an hour and a half walk and he'd *still be in bed!*   :)
Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska

Online Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2017, 11:15:23 pm »
Actually, I'm very shy.

And obviously an unabashed liar.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home