Author Topic: Question and Observation about this years National  (Read 22035 times)

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Question and Observation about this years National
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2017, 12:19:31 am »
So did anybody miss the vendors ?

Did you come planning to spend money and were disappointed ?
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12323
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2017, 12:42:21 am »
What vendors were there?  Bummer!

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2017, 07:34:11 pm »
I never expect vendors.  If one is there great but I am not there to shop.  It seems that every NR I have been to the vendors that are there asked to come.  The rally team did not seek them out or try to fill a room with vendors.  It is more about them wanting us over us wanting them.  With numbers like 2-3 hundred we just do not offer much sales to them.  If you like vendors though every HOG rally with a few K attendance seems to have loads of crap.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2017, 07:26:40 pm »
 :iagree:

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2017, 07:44:59 pm »
Just to clarify my earlier post- I am not complaining or blaming anyone for having to ride by myself.  We had a crazy start to the trip, basically drove straight from VA to MO, registered at Lodge & in with COG then passed out until mid Tuesday.  Missed the Monday night sandwich social, and Wed. Ice Cream social- all MY fault.  Made the banquet and got to sit with some REALLY cool people- I'm sure had I met people Monday evening I'd not have ridden alone.

Lessons learned for next year!!

And I sat next to LSGiant on the Tuesday dinner cruise, met buggnut and Jorge there.  Met ron203 at the banquet, Connie_Rider, RangerJim, etc.  GREAT TIME!!!

George....my sincere apology for your misery!   :-X

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:15 pm »

I never expect vendors.  If one is there great but I am not there to shop.  It seems that every NR I have been to the vendors that are there asked to come.  The rally team did not seek them out or try to fill a room with vendors.  It is more about them wanting us over us wanting them.  With numbers like 2-3 hundred we just do not offer much sales to them.  If you like vendors though every HOG rally with a few K attendance seems to have loads of crap.

God forbid we have a rally with a turnout like HOG or BMW. I guess that's what we don't want? And as a vendor who kills himself to bring amazing products to rallies I take offense. Hard working people camp in vendor row. I love the things I bought in Helen last year and in Cortez the year before. Memories and very useful moto travel stuff I wouldn't have found elsewhere. Klim did so well the past 2 years they gave away over $2k in helmets and gear and even surprised TonyK with a suit after hitting the bear in JC 3 years ago.

Negative guys - very negative.

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2017, 08:04:51 pm »
First not trying to be negative, just telling what I have seen.  I did not turn vendors away.  If they wanted to be there great.  I made room.   If you want more vendors great.  Sign up to get them for next year.  Others will be happy you did.  It will not be easy because they will most likely not make their money back for travel.  Notice that most donate but do not attend.  Even Murph. 

Now me personally could care less.  When I want to buy something I buy it and having them at the rally will not make me buy something I was not going to already.  I would rather the rally be more about riding and gtg than to sell me stuff.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2017, 01:47:49 am »
Hey Sport Rider! 😘
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Eddie-FL

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7073
  • Membership Level: Industry Liaison
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2017, 08:54:18 pm »

God forbid we have a rally with a turnout like HOG or BMW. I guess that's what we don't want? And as a vendor who kills himself to bring amazing products to rallies I take offense. Hard working people camp in vendor row. I love the things I bought in Helen last year and in Cortez the year before. Memories and very useful moto travel stuff I wouldn't have found elsewhere. Klim did so well the past 2 years they gave away over $2k in helmets and gear and even surprised TonyK with a suit after hitting the bear in JC 3 years ago.

Negative guys - very negative.

Fais, just so you know; KLIM chose not to attend as they feel (as I understand) that they have saturated the COG market, NoMar had a scheduling conflict (they had the wrong date) and Baldwin Saddles (at JC & Helen as I recall) is no longer in business. So, it wasn't for lack of trying. And, 200-300 attendees is not much of a draw compared to a HOG or BMW rally.
Anderson, SC
2015 Suzuki DL650XT "Grey Ghost"
1969 Triumph Bonneville 
AMA# 686667 COG# 7073   CDA# 0136

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2017, 12:08:35 am »
Johnson City had a ton of good stuff. NoMar, Kawi demo rides....I like seeing some vendors. They support us when we need tires and such. Tech sessions are educational. There was a great little tavern in town where we had excellent sandwiches. The campground was next door and who doesn't love a good bonfire  :beerchug: The rallies are always chocked full of great stuff.  :)
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden

Don't be a spectator in life. Be a participant...

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2017, 02:25:45 am »
Actually I forgot the gentleman who makes highway pegs for C14s was there at the banquet.  Thanks SportRider, but everyone I met was great!

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2017, 10:56:06 am »
(off subject-sorry.. George did you get my email and PM?)
Thanks.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2017, 12:56:16 pm »
One thing I noticed this year was how smooth the registration went.
Fred and his Team did a heck of a job.

I know it wasn't smooth for all and some problems came up, but I also know each one was handled.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2017, 07:40:17 pm »
Actually I forgot the gentleman who makes highway pegs for C14s was there at the banquet.  Thanks SportRider, but everyone I met was great!

I know...the guys you mentioned are friends.  I just couldn't resist kicking them in fun.   :))

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #164 on: July 04, 2017, 01:06:00 pm »
(off subject-sorry.. George did you get my email and PM?)
Thanks.
Yup, thanks!!

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #165 on: July 04, 2017, 01:09:47 pm »

I know...the guys you mentioned are friends.  I just couldn't resist kicking them in fun.   :))
Figured that!  As the noob I gotta try and not tick anyone off- otherwise next year I'll be unloading by myself (and riding)! ;-)

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2017, 01:40:17 pm »

Figured that!  As the noob I gotta try and not tick anyone off- otherwise next year I'll be unloading by myself (and riding)! ;-)

ha...I get that.  Someone, I really have no clue who it was, helped me unload at my first rally in Johnson City.  I decided to pay it forward and jumped in to help a few others with theirs as they rolled in.  I have no clue who they were either, but they got help whether they wanted it or not.   ;D  I met Ted there for the first time too.  Great people and great times.   :beerchug:

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2017, 08:44:45 pm »
/a
I even suggested to a prominent member of of this forum that I'd sure like to get together for a ride, twice, and was not invited to join the group, ended up riding alone which I can do here without spending $650 for four nights at a lodge.
Okay now flame away!
 :truce:

Is this your first rally ? Did you ask anyone else ? I believe I talked to the gentleman that went to Arkansas I talked to him about the routes and showed him how far the place was he wanted to go to.
My fourth rally, yeah I know problems all mine not complaining just going to bow out quiet, sort of.
But bye the way, did you ask that gentleman to join your ride? Just curious.

In this group, bowing out quietly is exactly why you didn't have someone to ride with. To me the best approach is to approach someone I see getting ready to leave when I am, ask if he has a grup, and what their pace is. If it's to large of a group, or the ride isn't the pace I want, I keep looking. Sure, friends clique up, but I've never seen any cogger ever refuse another rider wanting to join a ride.

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2017, 09:34:12 pm »
Steve, don't encourage George...
just kidding of course. Steve, George and his wife Kim and us met and talked on the dinner cruise.
George, you will have no trouble finding a riding group  :great:

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #169 on: July 04, 2017, 10:16:39 pm »
Thanks!  I was partly joking, though not about unloading alone!  I'm looking forward to meeting more coggers and visiting Texas for the first time!

If riding alone is the worst thing that happens, I can live with that; but I plan on following Steve's advice for sure!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2017, 10:41:03 pm »
Someone, I really have no clue who it was, helped me unload at my first rally in Johnson City.  I decided to pay it forward and jumped in to help a few others with theirs as they rolled in.  I have no clue who they were either, but they got help whether they wanted it or not. 

In this group, bowing out quietly is exactly why you didn't have someone to ride with. To me the best approach is to approach someone I see getting ready to leave when I am, ask if he has a group, and what their pace is. If it's to large of a group, or the ride isn't the pace I want, I keep looking. Sure, friends clique up, but I've never seen any cogger ever refuse another rider wanting to join a ride.

I'll second what Dave and Steve are saying. 
When you get to an event, find a way to meet people.
Don't wait for someone to come to you. Stick out your hand and say hello...
I promise; Your handshake WILL be returned.

Quick Story; At my first National's, I wanted to meet folks.
So, I signed up to work in Registration or to be a Greeter.
Since then, I still try to help out at each one in some manner..
I'm not special, just think getting involved is a great way to meet new folks.

Bottom Line; The more you put into COG, the more you'll get out of it.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2017, 10:54:43 pm »
Ted.....you ARE special!!!  :) :) :)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2017, 02:56:39 am »
Thanks!  I was partly joking, though not about unloading alone!  I'm looking forward to meeting more coggers and visiting Texas for the first time!

If riding alone is the worst thing that happens, I can live with that; but I plan on following Steve's advice for sure!
Find me. I'll hook ya up with some natives.  Always room for another.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline old fart

• Moped
  • I dabbled in pacifism once
  • COG#: 11585
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2017, 03:47:58 am »
Quote from: old fart link=topic=66686.msg546038#msg546038 date=14£67005721
I rode the whole time by myself,  I was not asked to join any rides & am not the type to force myself on anyone. I'm not into big groups anyway but it would of been nice to ride with 3 or 4 other bikes.  The few groups I ran into while riding never asked if I wanted to tag along.  Maybe next time I will just take charge & plan a ride & ask a few people if they want to follow me.  :motonoises:
++1 count me in for that ride.
Doesn't have anything to do with first time attendance, this was my third national Johnson City, Cortez, and Helen. Never has anyone ask me if i wanted to tag along. I know many are going to say it's many own fault, but people cluster up into familiar groups and while very friendly are not prone to invite others into the fold. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Robbie,
Good to see you on the forum, but I remember taking you on a ride on the Snake. :great:
take care
rick

Hey Rick, Good tho hear from you again. On another bike yet? Yes we rode together on the snake with Birdman, Wayniac and Brad. But if you remember i signed up on a ride sheet that you had on the board, i was saying that no one had ever ask whether or not i would like to tag along.

Yep you're correct on that. I did have a sheet up.  I got a 2014 and am loving it. Just got back from Florida.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here"

09 Connie(totaled)
14 Connie with SiSF flash

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2017, 10:44:18 am »

Now George, unloading alone is not required. Tell a few folks you're unloading and they'll all gather around to watch you dump it, er, UNLOAD it.   :rotflmao:  Now if you want some HELP unloading,that might be a little more difficult...

(Give me a call, I'll help. These other characters will,too.)
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing