Author Topic: 2500 mile weekend trip  (Read 962 times)

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2500 mile weekend trip
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:07:36 pm »
Almost hate to post it and jinx it but, planning a big weekend trip in August, Day one 1129 miles Jackson Ms to Coudersport Pa, Day 2 not sure, prolly ride around with a bunch of Goldwing buddies maybe 300 miles worth??, Day 3 possible 1300 mile day, leave Coudersport Pa hit Niagara Falls shoot across Canada to Flint Mi then head south for Jackson, If I get to tired I can just stop and get home Monday Afternoon.

Got just a hair over 11,000 miles on my Dunlop E4's and the front looks great but the rear is about done, luckily I have an Austone Taxi Tire (Car Tire 175xR16) ready to go on the back and that should last till next summer :) I did not fix the fairing yet and prolly wont till after the trip, except for an attempt with superglue this weekend, but all I need to do it swap the tire change the oil and be ready to roll. I will be interested to see what my mileage total will be.

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12267
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2500 mile weekend trip
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:27:26 am »
Sounds like a sore butt.  May the force be with you. :motonoises:

Offline CRocker

• Crotch Rocket
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:24:23 pm »
Wow!  That trip sounds ambitious... :beerchug:

Offline roy826

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 01:00:58 pm »
Almost hate to post it and jinx it but, planning a big weekend trip in August, Day one 1129 miles Jackson Ms to Coudersport Pa, Day 2 not sure, prolly ride around with a bunch of Goldwing buddies maybe 300 miles worth??, Day 3 possible 1300 mile day, leave Coudersport Pa hit Niagara Falls shoot across Canada to Flint Mi then head south for Jackson, If I get to tired I can just stop and get home Monday Afternoon.

Got just a hair over 11,000 miles on my Dunlop E4's and the front looks great but the rear is about done, luckily I have an Austone Taxi Tire (Car Tire 175xR16) ready to go on the back and that should last till next summer :) I did not fix the fairing yet and prolly wont till after the trip, except for an attempt with superglue this weekend, but all I need to do it swap the tire change the oil and be ready to roll. I will be interested to see what my mileage total will be.

I live down south of Jackson near Raymond. Good idea to get the hell out of MS in july and august. Way too hot here. Helluva trip you have planned, lot of miles in a short time. Have a safe trip. :great:
'12 Concours 14, '16 GSX-S1000, '15 GSX-R600 racebike, '15 WR250F

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 01:37:41 pm »
Leaving mid Aug so perfect time to escape some heat :beerchug:

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:16:34 pm »
Have fun, 600/day is quite enough for me.  :o
I've read that a CT handles differently if you're unaccustomed.
COG #6962

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 07:34:31 pm »
I had a GL1500 Goldwing with this same tire on it and loved it, but I am very curious how it will work on the C10. I am not an aggressive rider and take the corners "easy" I like curves but am happier on the hwy or interstate rolling miles so really looking for a long lasting tire. I do know I will get better mileage with this tire since it is taller and will drop my RPM's at cruise speed, so really curious to see what I will average on this trip. I think it is a great idea for me and the way I ride and my goals for what I want out of a tire, but it's prolly not for everyone.

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 01:27:57 am »
Sounds like a Commander II would work great for you.
I got 3yrs/30K out of one.
Enjoy your trip.
COG #6962

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:19:24 pm »
3yrs/30k miles :-\  That is extremely impressive for a motorcycle tire, but I would bet it is just as rare, I don't think I would get half that on the roads that I ride. I usually average around 35 to 45 thousand miles a year because I ride every day to work which is 40 miles each way then take several trips on top of that so Oil and tires are regular changes for me :??:

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 05:18:20 pm »
Hope you  post up some photos & a bit of commentary. 
I'll never ride there, being in the NW.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 05:53:44 pm »
I will take pics as much as I can and will post about it for sure.

do you have to be a paid member to post attachments?

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • aka 'handyman'
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 06:04:30 pm »
Not being a stranger to big mile days, but don't forget that the August heat will take a little wind out of your sail and summer weekend traffic can be heavy.

I did a 2450 weekend two weeks ago. Went to NJ from Florida for a family picnic. Traffic up north was stupid busy and daily mileage was difficult at best. Literally bumper to bumper @ 70+ on I81 and a two hour delay rolling back thru Atlanta was tough in 90+ degrees. NOT a dry heat. :) Oh, and I won't get into the story of the drunk driver trying to rub the number off my license plate doing 75mph up I81.

Not trying to be oppositional in any way shape or form, just keep an alternate plan at the ready.
Somewhere far away. Soon
Overland Expo, BVF, ...another BDR?

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack, '72 XS650

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9812
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 06:28:46 pm »
2450 for a weekend is tough. Your route looks like a challenge. Especially through Canada where the police are everywhere. If you get caught speeding in Canada you're going to pay a hefty fine.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »
Not being a stranger to big mile days, but don't forget that the August heat will take a little wind out of your sail and summer weekend traffic can be heavy.

Not trying to be oppositional in any way shape or form, just keep an alternate plan at the ready.

Great reminder, and I take no offense at all. I did a 1000 mile day a few weeks ago over to Bryan Tx for lunch and back and temps hit 99 a few times, was a long day and spent way to long at lunch. Will have to admit I think this is the most miles I will have done in one weekend, and I expect it will be more than 2500 after the extra riding around on Saturday. With all that said I am ready to roll and cant wait!

Offline kkja13

• Bicycle
  • Tyler, TX
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »
You can post pics.  Here are the restrictions.

Allowed file types: doc, docx, xls, xlsx, gdb, gpx, gif, jpg, jpeg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum individual size 350KB

I usually take my pics on the phone, then take a screen shot of them to make them small enough to post.
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 07:26:13 pm »
Its unusual to hear that someone on vacation is coming to Flint.  (Its right next door to me).

Curious if there is any particular reason other than the fact that I69 goes through it?

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 07:40:11 pm »
lol, yes that is why. Just passing throuh so I can skip Detroit.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 09:56:48 pm »
So far on this trip I have been through  Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Ontario Canada,  Michigan,  Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky,  Missouri, and Arkansas. Not bad for a 4 day trip!! Still have 250 miles to go so grabbing a bite to eat then heading to the house. Oh not to mention seeing Niagara Falls and a full solar eclipse in the totality zone.

Still on the road so will write a trip report  soon.

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • aka 'handyman'
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 11:39:33 pm »
Safe travels.
Somewhere far away. Soon
Overland Expo, BVF, ...another BDR?

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack, '72 XS650

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 02:28:08 am »
15 hrs and 842 miles today, total for the trip 2667, little tired but made it home.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 02:52:06 pm »
So the trip was really a fun one, I knew Friday would be a long day so I left at 1:45AM and headed up, the temps were great all day and only hit one rain storm. I had just pulled into a rest area and sat down for a smoke when it started pouring down, so I took an extended break and plugged up the charger on my helmet while I waited, then made some calls and texts.

I continued the day with no issues and rolled into PA after dark, stopped 92 miles out to fill the tank and relax before hitting the back roads into Coudersport. Normally I really enjoy riding at night but that is on HWY's and Interstates not small crazy pothole ridden back woods roads. I am not kidding either, on the map it looked great, but when my gps said turn here I thought it was a mistake!! To top this off somebody in a car was following right behind me and instead on turning the high beams on every time I went around a curve then back off when they came around it, they must have just about worn that switch out. Every time I turned it got worse, the road got narrower and the pavement more bumpy and pot hole ridden, to top it off I was getting worried because every time I switched roads the car did too. I was thinking I am lost just following this crazy GPS into the middle of nowhere but this car is going the same place? I started to think did they hack my GPS and are leading me out to a devil sacrifice? I am serious these were roads I would not want to ride in the daytime, and I am from Mississippi!! I saw 3 deer during the last 30 miles just staring me down right on the side of the road which was actually the forest, there was maybe 2 inches of shoulder then trees, not actually sure on the shoulder cause there were no painted lines to go by. The deer left me alone though, but there was a Raccoon that instead on playing chicken with me and he won, the only reason it moved was because of the car right up my butt!

I finally found a good spot to pull off and the car went by, so now I can relax, nope hade to dodge what I swear was a beaver but could have been a big groundhog? And the last critter of the night a rabbit that I think ran under me? To top it all off the GPS choose the shortest route to the hotel so it took me off the paved road and sent me up and over a dirt road which I think was a fire road!! It was wash board and rutted out from rain, I was engine braking in 1st gear and riding the brakes on the down side of it because it was that steep, I was just laffing and expecting a water crossing at any min. It did finally dump me out on to hwy 6 just a mile or so from the hotel which I arrived to at 12:10PM after 22 hours and 1154 miles

Back up at 5:30 or 6 on Saturday morning ready to visit and mingle with all the friends that showed up to the event, I choose to take the short ride that day so I could help a buddy take his wheel off and be back to help put it on, which I was not needed other than supervisory help.

Sunday was up at 6 and packed the bike for 7AM KSU headed to Buffalo and the border crossing, had a great ride over with 3 other bikes. Customs was a breeze and we split ways there as I headed up to Niagara falls, spent a couple hours there between parking ($20 OMG) and taking video and pics and getting souvenirs for the kids. I headed west across Ontario on 403 and 402, they were crazy busy roads and my dang GPS was talking in all meters and junk so that was funny. Stopped for gas in Woodstock and had to convert the 19.6 liters of fuel to gallons to keep track of my MPG's, then went SW on 401 and finally to a 2 lane road that was dead strait for ever with no traffic at all which was a delight! Caught the ferry across and talked with some folks about my car tire on the bike, they were on a Victory and were really interested in going dark side. Customs noticed I had not signed my passport so I got a secondary screening, took all of 3 min and gave me a chance to relax in the Air-conditioned office so wish it was longer.

I then went north to I68 and across to Flint then down to Lansing and finally after 600 miles and 16 hours I pulled into a Hampton inn Just north of Ft. Wayne Indiana for the night. Got a late start on Monday morning and didn't hit the road till 7:30AM, went great until Indianapolis when one of the plastic screws broke that hole my windshield on broke and the whole thing started to lean back on one side. I thought is the wind really blowing that hard?? but figured it out purdy quick and stopped at a Pilot gas station for my next stop and found a screw set and fixed it. Then continued south on I57 along with the huge crowd of eclipse watchers, and I have to say Trump must be sending money to the states cause every bridge between Ft. Wayne and Memphis TN is getting re done and are all shut down to one lane!! The first back up I sat for about 5 min then took the shoulder, rode it for a solid 10 min at 15 mph before I reached the front to merge in. I did the same 3 more times that day.

I got to be in the totality zone of the eclipse by pure chance just outside of Paducah Ky but still in MO, it was really cool and got a lot darker than I thought it would. After that was over, I shot over to Cairo on hwy 51 and crossed the Ohio river into Ky then turned around at Wickliffe and back over the Ohio river to and immediately crossed the Mississippi river and took hwy 62 back to I57 to AR and I55 to Memphis and down to Jackson. Getting Ky didn't kill too much time and was a fun detour, it was a long hot day at 15 hours and 842 miles but made it home around 10:20PM

On this trip I went through  Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Ontario Canada,  Michigan,  Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky,  Missouri, and Arkansas. Got to see Niagara Falls and a once in a lifetime solar event, gas mileage was anywhere  from a low of 34 to a high of 48, had no problems except the broken screw. I have to say this was a great 4 day weekend!!

Offline kkja13

• Bicycle
  • Tyler, TX
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 03:56:26 pm »
A long way to go in a short time! (Cue the Smokey and the Bandit theme song.)
Thanks for sharing!
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)