Author Topic: Buckeye Bound - Ideas and Suggestions  (Read 685 times)

Offline gMitch

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8852
  • Membership Level: Active
Buckeye Bound - Ideas and Suggestions
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:30:07 am »
Checking out southeast Ohio has been on  my to-do list for awhile and I think this is the season. I know this is short notice but I am off next week and am planning on kicking around the area for  a couple of days along the Marietta-Athens axis. I have seen the "Ohio's Windy 9" routes and the "New Frontier" section of "Motorcycle Journey's through the Appalachians".  But soliciting the greater experience of COGdom, especially those that consider this area their home stomping ground, is greatly appreciated. So if you have some favorite bits of asphalt, eateries, and campgrounds that you do not mind sharing, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.  :great:
Mitch

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
Re: Buckeye Bound - Ideas and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:03:41 am »
Have a great ride! Travel safe

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:03:56 pm »
Hmmmmm....Veto Lake was where we all got together for high school parties.  I'm sure you'll want to check that out!

Oh wait...then there's The Station carryout on route 50 between Marietta and Belpre.  that was the closest place for us to get beer.  What a dive! 

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

I grew up in that area and learned to ride there.  I honestly never thought of those roads as great by standards of other roads I've had an opportunity to ride.  I always preferred going over to WV.  I used to like Route 47 heading east out of Parkersburg.  that was 30 years ago.  I have no idea how it's grown up or if the roads are even in good shape.

your best bet would probably be to stick with the ones that folks have identified if this is your first trip.

have a great trip!
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 12:22:38 pm »
Mitch- If you haven't been to the AMA museum, it's worth a stop. It's in the Columbus area. Have a good trip.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline gMitch

• Scooter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:24:58 pm »
Sport Rider--yes, WV is also one of my favorite  areas and I usually find myself down there at least once every year. Just looking for another place this time and have heard and read some good things about the west side of the Ohio River.  I'll probably be in WV coming and going. WV Route 20 looks fine. Thanks.

Hmmmmm....Veto Lake was where we all got together for high school parties.  I'm sure you'll want to check that out!

Oh wait...then there's The Station carryout on route 50 between Marietta and Belpre.  that was the closest place for us to get beer.  What a dive! 

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

I grew up in that area and learned to ride there.  I honestly never thought of those roads as great by standards of other roads I've had an opportunity to ride.  I always preferred going over to WV.  I used to like Route 47 heading east out of Parkersburg.  that was 30 years ago.  I have no idea how it's grown up or if the roads are even in good shape.

your best bet would probably be to stick with the ones that folks have identified if this is your first trip.

have a great trip!
Mitch

Offline gMitch

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:30 pm »
Tom-- The AMA museum is on my radar if I get that far north and west.
Change of topic: LG Rally? I still have some apple pie 'shine from last year.....

Mitch- If you haven't been to the AMA museum, it's worth a stop. It's in the Columbus area. Have a good trip.

Tom Taylor COG#7173
Mitch

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:45:16 am »
Still thinking about LG Rally. My a$$ might still be sore from RWTW. Like to make it though.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 12:03:00 pm »
My wife was born and raised down there....till I got her over here to Indiana for 8 years I spent every other weekend down there. Most weekends from April to November were bombing around the local roads. The Windy 9 are pretty good. I would base out of Athens or Logan. Whichever,  there are plenty of hotels and campsites. Cabin at Lake Hope is one of the best starting points for a lot of rides. Not sure how many days you will be there or what lodging you have planned but I will check back and carve out a bit of time that I can give you some insight from my humble perspective.

Offline gMitch

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 07:19:59 pm »
Freebird6..Thanks a bunch for your comments. I was looking a little south of Logan at Hocking Hills State Park for camping and maybe a night down on the Ohio River. I'll be in the area for 2-3 days so not a lot of time but enough to get around. Good to know that the routes I have mapped (Windy 9) are decent.  Thanks again for your time.  :beerchug:

My wife was born and raised down there....till I got her over here to Indiana for 8 years I spent every other weekend down there. Most weekends from April to November were bombing around the local roads. The Windy 9 are pretty good. I would base out of Athens or Logan. Whichever,  there are plenty of hotels and campsites. Cabin at Lake Hope is one of the best starting points for a lot of rides. Not sure how many days you will be there or what lodging you have planned but I will check back and carve out a bit of time that I can give you some insight from my humble perspective.
Mitch

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9812
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
Hocking Hills has plenty of great roads to get lost on. Watch out for grass clippings and dead animals. Make sure you visit Old Man's Cave. There are several great rides over to Marietta Ohio. AMA Museum is definitely worth a trip. Its supposed to rain this weekend so Cedar Falls might be good also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlomDJo92iU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdJaLnZ1mJM
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 03:41:20 am »
YOu're packing it in. Nice part of the Windy 9 is that there are plenty of maps out there and good food along the way. You can look at pics and read accounts in many places
http://www.ohiogirltravels.com/ohios-best-motorcycle-routes-scenic-windy-9/

The site that has printable maps and downloadable gpx

http://athensohio.com/category/wheretoplay/ohios-windy-9/
file:///C:/Users/Doc/Downloads/Ohios-Windy-9-Map.pdf

I like 555 but with only 2 days I would get out on 56/78/278 you can't go wrong. Diner in Mc Connellsville, Nelsonville and other stops. Always looking for home cooking and there is plenty. COurt Street in downtown Athens is good for an eveining. If you are in the Cat's Eye or Broneys tell the bartenders I said whasup

You can do loops each 100 mile loop will take you about 3'/4 hours so if you are like me you will do one in the am and one after lunch

Offline gMitch

• Scooter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 12:57:28 pm »
ConcoursKZ and freebird6..Thanks for the info. I am packed and hitting the road early Monday morning. Just got to make sure to avoid that Eclipse traffic.  :motonoises:
Mitch

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 02:45:52 am »
I don't see a ride report. Where did you end up and what did you find. I came through Hocking Hills this weekend. 56 from London OH to Athens. Stayed overnight with my oldest son who is at OHIO coaching hoops. Left out early Sunday and headed over to Logan and up 664 to Buckeye Lake

Left off 37 at Granville and over to Iron Pony where there was a bevy of HDs on a Sunday ride then on to Delaware OH to meet my wife at her son's house. Home on 47 out of Delaware and found places I have heard about all my life but never been....

Russia....pronounced Roooshey according to a local, Ansonia, Lockington, Bellefontaine, Sidney....exploring on a day I had nowhere to be.

Fill us in on how the Ohio trip went;