Author Topic: Jackson MS to Fairbanks AK  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10410
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Jackson MS to Fairbanks AK
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 01:19:12 am »
It sounds very ambitious! We take a 3000miler each year and I always remember....once you get to your destination, you have to go back! Don't let us all discourage you, but you should consider a lot more time.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Warwgn

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 07:52:57 am »
I wish I could take more time but 17 days is all I got to work with, I have young kids and a demanding job that needs lots of attention, part of why the route no signal means no work calls. I will still have about 80 hours of time off left so if there is an issue I have reserve saftey margins but that would dry up my time off for the year. I have already burned some of that so trying to not use any more until the trip.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 12:13:47 pm »
I wish I could take more time but 17 days is all I got to work with, I have young kids and a demanding job that needs lots of attention, part of why the route no signal means no work calls. I will still have about 80 hours of time off left so if there is an issue I have reserve saftey margins but that would dry up my time off for the year. I have already burned some of that so trying to not use any more until the trip.

Ride on. This blast will give you a taste of what you can go back to when you can smell a flower two.

Get on and go.

I'm just glad to be done with that whole working for a living concept.  :beerchug: :motonoises: :motonoises:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2017, 03:40:28 am »

Do what travel you can. Have fun!
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 03:50:29 am »
Pick up a spare j box or send yours to Larry Buck for re soldering . I did both before my big trip. J box issues are a known problem with our bikes .

https://www.bucksporttouring.com/

The Jbox idea is a good one. Back when I still had my C10, mine failed about 20 miles from home
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Warwgn

• Training Wheels
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »
Well dang, gotta call the trip a bust for this year, kids got sick and had to miss some work then I got sick and had to miss even more so my days off have been burned down a bit to far to allow any safety margin at all. Hopefully I can still manage to carry over a week into next year which would give me 5 1/2 weeks of paid time off so maybe allow some sick days to prevent this form happening again.

On the plus side it does give me more time to prepare and upgrade the bike, but on the down that will add a lot of miles to the bike by next June, will prolly be upwards of 70K on the clock by then....ahh that aint so bad would still be under 100k even after the trip.

Time to start taking some bike camping trips and really get a good idea of what I want on this bike and what gear I really need and how to pack, prolly even take a few weekend trips to Canada to try out the border crossings and camping up there. So After typing this and thinking on it as I am, this don't really seem like as bad a deal as I thought, even more time to save up extra cash for the big trip....hmmmm maybe I should have just planned it for 2018 to begin with, of course I would not have moved as fast on getting new gear if I did that.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11594
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2017, 02:35:10 pm »
"Time to start taking some bike camping trips and really get a good idea of what I want on this bike and what gear I really need and how to pack, prolly even take a few weekend trips to Canada to try out the border crossings and camping up there. So After typing this and thinking on it as I am, this don't really seem like as bad a deal as I thought, even more time to save up extra cash for the big trip"

^^^
COG is like a college for learning the above. The forum is good - but many of the people who ride and camp will give you ideas and info you won't find here. I have met some folks at events that don't use the forum and have their bikes outfitted in creative ways. Plus, it's easier to observe and etc in person. Camping with COG and other riders has shown me many ways to skin this cat. We all have different things we are willing to skimp on and things we aren't at all willing to skimp on. Observing is the way as many of the folks that have this down pat have never used a forum and don't even know how much you'd like their advise. Face to face is da bomb :great:

As I mentioned earlier - I have headed for Alaska 3 times and found the weather and parks and roads and everything I wanted was between Zion and Glacier. It's quite something to be 3,000 miles from home and still 2,000 miles from Alaska - being well prepared would not suck.

Check the calendar and join us sooner than later. Still 9-10 spots left for the Horseshoe Mtn Rendezvous

:beerchug:

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Warwgn

• Training Wheels
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2017, 07:57:14 pm »
I plan to try and hit an event or two, I am sending my seat out on the 15th to russell day long so after it gets back I will be itching for some long rides. Trying to decide on what pillion tail bag I want to get now, gonna take a camping weekend up into MO the weekend after Easter to hang out with some Goldwing buddes. only about 550 miles each way, but think my butt will be sore with this stock seat, but need to jump in there and start figuring it out what I like.