Author Topic: Kansas City  (Read 580 times)

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12267
  • Membership Level: Active
Kansas City
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:08:30 pm »
Going to Kansas City on Monday.  I have all day Tuesday to explore.  Planning on putting on about 400-500 miles on Tuesday.  Is there anything I should go see or roads I should take within that range? I was thinking I should get a picture of me and my bike in front of the city sign of Tightwad. It would be very fitting. Then continue down to Lake of the Ozarks.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
Re: Kansas City
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:02:13 pm »
Thanks for all the input.....very helpful.   :??:

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:23:55 pm »
Uh, are you asking what you should do and see in Kansas City? 

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 10:02:34 am »
Yes I was, but not going to help now.  Got home on Wednesday.  Things I learned, I was in four different states on Monday.  Saw cops in all four.  In three states the cops would give me the friendly hand gesture to please slow down a bit.  In Missouri I got pulled over.  In this particular county in Missouri if you are going 20 mph over the speed limit there is a mandatory impoundment and must post bail.  After I got to the hotel took my gear inside and rode helmetless with glasses to the gas station.  Found out that Missouri was on of only a handful of states that has a helmet law.  The riding was not great. Did make a loop down around Lake of the Ozarks. Was a little better riding. I did enjoy the dam in Warsaw. All in all, I don't need to come back to Missouri. 

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 11:03:45 am »
In Missouri I got pulled over.  In this particular county in Missouri if you are going 20 mph over the speed limit there is a mandatory impoundment and must post bail.  After I got to the hotel took my gear inside and rode helmetless with glasses to the gas station.  Found out that Missouri was one of only a handful of states that has a helmet law. 

Sounds like there's a story in there.  Was just in Missouri last week.  Have family in Kirksville.  My very first speeding ticket in 1976 was just outside of Kirksville (Adair County).  92 in a 55.  Had to go downtown with the cops and wait for my dad to come get me out.  That ticket cost me $201.50  I was lucky.  Missouri didn't report it to Indiana so my license and insurance survived unscathed!! :)

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:49:06 pm »
In Missouri I got pulled over.  In this particular county in Missouri if you are going 20 mph over the speed limit there is a mandatory impoundment and must post bail.  After I got to the hotel took my gear inside and rode helmetless with glasses to the gas station.  Found out that Missouri was one of only a handful of states that has a helmet law. 

Sounds like there's a story in there.  Was just in Missouri last week.  Have family in Kirksville.  My very first speeding ticket in 1976 was just outside of Kirksville (Adair County).  92 in a 55.  Had to go downtown with the cops and wait for my dad to come get me out.  That ticket cost me $201.50  I was lucky.  Missouri didn't report it to Indiana so my license and insurance survived unscathed!! :)

I have family in north and south Missouri (Moberly, Shelbina, Paris, Marshfield) and make an annual trip on the Connie to see them all.  Plus multiple car trips to Marshfield.  I've seen scores of MHP, county, and local LEO's and never been pulled over.  Of course, I'm not asking for it by going 20 over, either.  That'll get you pulled over just about anywhere these days...

And that "handful" of states with mandatory helmet laws actually numbers 19, plus D.C., with an additional 28 having some sort of provisional law.  Only three states have no helmet law.  It pays to take a minute and make sure what the laws are in the states you plan on riding through. 

Online Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 04:45:30 pm »
Jeff, you might have been better served if you had contacted some of the AADs from MO directly.  I don't think many people would have looked has the title of you post and interpreted that you were seeking information about the area. FWIW, 20 over in GA gets you a Super-Speeder ticket which is crazy expensive.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 11:21:50 pm »
Well, I am glad that I live in a state that doesn't. All the states that TRM referred to are going to have you all living in a bubble one day, and guess what....that's not living.  Bottom line, I wasn't being careless cruising down 35 with hardly any traffic and straight as an arrow.  I wish law enforcement would focus on the real criminals, i.e. the thugs that broke into 3 vehicles and a job trailer in the hotel parking lot where I stayed Monday night.  Nice hotel right by the airport. But of course they wouldn't want to focus on that, because they can't raise any money from the thugs.  Thanks Ranger Jim, I hadn't thought of that route for gathering info about a region.