Author Topic: Long ride Costs???  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Long ride Costs???
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:51:30 pm »
So planning a big ride this summer with a friend and at this point I have the time off and should be able to easily keep enough time off on the books. First hurdle cleared, second is planning the route which has evolved to version 4.0 but looks like we are dialed in fairly close. Third is where to sleep, I got it set up for 2 nights with friends along the way and 2 nights at hotels, and the other 12 nights are camping so still will need to call and make reservations.

So most of the logistics are dialed in, now just got to figure out how to pay for the trip these are my figures:

Fuel   $600.00  (35 fill ups at $15 bucks each then rounded up)
Food   $650.00  ($40 a day for 16 days..10 for bfast and 15 for lunch and 15 for dinner average)
Campsites   $300.00 ($40 a night x 12 nights but it's split between 2 of us)
Hotel   $200.00   (each planned hotel is under $100 a night again divided by 2)
Nick Nacks   $100.00  (Gotta get souvenirs and s*** for the kids and my Girlfriend)
Emergency   $500.00  (Replace a tire, tent, air mattress...etc)
MISC   $200.00   (Should be enough for extra unknowns, tolls, ferry's...)
Margin $382     (added 15% to the total above as margin of error, fuel prices, extra taxes...)

So my question is does this seem like a good base to those that have done long rides similar to this? Or am I just way off in my thinking?

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Long ride Costs???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:00:51 pm »
My guess is your figuring a bit on the high side.
But, Ya forgot 1 important item..
       Beer $$$ ?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:02:54 pm »
So just read this again and was wrong on days but leaving the totals as is, just extra cushion:

campsite will only need to pay for 10 nights
Staying with friends 4 nights, forgot we changed the plan after doing the budget
still 2 nights at hotel
and the last day I will be home

And we do plan to frequent as many Pubs while we are in the north, so your prolly right dinners may be more  :-[

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:09:18 pm »
Tips and sales tax? Go high on the fuel cost (summer you know). Tolls and ferry crossings?
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:58 pm »
Tolls and ferry crossings?

Yep, at least 2 ferry rides right now, could do it without them but looks fun and not very long on them so why not. Hitting 21 states in the US and 4 in Canada and Prince Edward Island just because it would be a shame to be that close and pass it :)

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:44:01 pm »
So planning a big ride this summer with a friend and at this point I have the time off and should be able to easily keep enough time off on the books. First hurdle cleared, second is planning the route which has evolved to version 4.0 but looks like we are dialed in fairly close. Third is where to sleep, I got it set up for 2 nights with friends along the way and 2 nights at hotels, and the other 12 nights are camping so still will need to call and make reservations.

So most of the logistics are dialed in, now just got to figure out how to pay for the trip these are my figures:

Fuel   $600.00  (35 fill ups at $15 bucks each then rounded up)
Food   $650.00  ($40 a day for 16 days..10 for bfast and 15 for lunch and 15 for dinner average)
Campsites   $300.00 ($40 a night x 12 nights but it's split between 2 of us)
Hotel   $200.00   (each planned hotel is under $100 a night again divided by 2)
Nick Nacks   $100.00  (Gotta get souvenirs and s*** for the kids and my Girlfriend)
Emergency   $500.00  (Replace a tire, tent, air mattress...etc)
MISC   $200.00   (Should be enough for extra unknowns, tolls, ferry's...)
Margin $382     (added 15% to the total above as margin of error, fuel prices, extra taxes...)

So my question is does this seem like a good base to those that have done long rides similar to this? Or am I just way off in my thinking?

When I travel and sharing a room I budget $100.00 a day in the US and $125.00 in Canada.  If I am traveling alone then I budget $125.00 in the US and $150.00 in Canada per day.  This is for fuel, food and lodging.  I don't camp, but I expect you could lower the daily budget since you are.

I also carry very little cash, I do most all my purchases with a credit card.
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline Texas Concours14

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9760
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:35 pm »
On road trips I carry two credit cards; one in my wallet and one on the bike (along with extra cash on bike) in case wallet is lost or stolen.
2010 Concours 14

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:51:56 pm »
Make sure you give your credit card companies a heads up that your card will be traveling. I forgot one time and got a primary card shut down.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:37:53 pm »
I typically carry $100.00 a day for everyday I plan to be gone. Normally I come home with 1/2 to 2/3's of it. I don't buy nick knacks, always camp & fix many meals in camp. Always carry cash, I like to return home with no bill coming. I carry a credit card should a emergency arrive.

Works for me, but I'm a cheap B-----D!

Cliff  :beerchug:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Rico

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12496
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 01:51:35 am »
I typically carry $100.00 a day for everyday I plan to be gone. Normally I come home with 1/2 to 2/3's of it. I don't buy nick knacks, always camp & fix many meals in camp. Always carry cash, I like to return home with no bill coming. I carry a credit card should a emergency arrive.

Works for me, but I'm a cheap B-----D!

Cliff  :beerchug:

I like the way you plan. I was planning about the same, starting with your place this April and then doing 2 to 3 more weeks around the SW.
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:57:50 am »
Beer in Canada is not cheap. Plan accordingly.

You camping numbers are probably a bit high for Canada. The conversion rate really helps for this.

Gas is also spendy up there.

Consider swinging through Campobello on the NB/ME border. Nice provincial park on the NB side nearby. Then there are two ferry rides into mainland NB. Way pretty going through there.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 02:22:57 am »
Seems reasonable.
Some items may be overestimated, but that's good as it will be a happy surprise if you spend less.
You will spend roughly $10-15 per day on little things along the way, like snacks, bottled water, Gatorade, etc. Not worrying about spending on these little things will help you get them, you will stay more alert, better hydrated, and enjoy the trip more.
Depending on where you are going, you may want to get a toll road transponder. Getting money/change in bad enough on a car, but on a bike... get a transponder. We did for a couple of long trips going into New England area, and were VERY glad we did.

Then.. ENJOY!!!

So... where is the trip?

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 02:55:40 am »
What's a budget?

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 01:58:58 pm »
Seems reasonable.
Some items may be overestimated, but that's good as it will be a happy surprise if you spend less.
You will spend roughly $10-15 per day on little things along the way, like snacks, bottled water, Gatorade, etc. Not worrying about spending on these little things will help you get them, you will stay more alert, better hydrated, and enjoy the trip more.
Depending on where you are going, you may want to get a toll road transponder. Getting money/change in bad enough on a car, but on a bike... get a transponder. We did for a couple of long trips going into New England area, and were VERY glad we did.

Then.. ENJOY!!!

So... where is the trip?

All good advise.

going from Mississsippi east to the coast then north to Nova Scotia, see Oak Island, Ride the Cabot trail then back down catch ferry to Prince Edward. Then make our way up to Gaspe and along the coast and catch anothe ferry across to Baie comeau then ride across Canada on 167 and 113 to moonbeam Ontario, keep going west and back into the US on the other side of Lake Superior into Minnesota then back south to Mississippi. Taking 2 weeks vacation time but the ride will take 16 days, the other guy going likes to stop and see things, but that is why I invited him to slow me down, when I am alone I barely look to the side of the road and only stop for gas.

Should be a fun trip with lots of cool stuff, route has us go through 21 US states and 4 in Canada.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 02:03:42 pm »
Way over planned, I bet you even have a route planed out.
What ever happend to adventure?

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 02:20:09 pm »
I'll save the adventure rides for. when I am retired or dont have time and money constrains. 25 states and 7000 miles in 16 days takes a little planning and prep. Have to coordinate staying with 3 different friends and also being in Missouri on the right day for a meet n greet, so had to figure a few thing out. Of course it's all just a plan, once we are on the road you gotta go with the flow and plans can change along with routes.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 02:37:18 pm »
Enjoy your ride!!
Wish I were going too..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 05:15:44 pm »
Seems reasonable.

Then.. ENJOY!!!

So... where is the trip?

All good advise.

going from Mississsippi east to the coast then north to Nova Scotia, see Oak Island, Ride the Cabot trail then back down catch ferry to Prince Edward. Then make our way up to Gaspe and along the coast and catch anothe ferry across to Baie comeau then ride across Canada on 167 and 113 to moonbeam Ontario, keep going west and back into the US on the other side of Lake Superior into Minnesota then back south to Mississippi. Taking 2 weeks vacation time but the ride will take 16 days, the other guy going likes to stop and see things, but that is why I invited him to slow me down, when I am alone I barely look to the side of the road and only stop for gas.

Should be a fun trip with lots of cool stuff, route has us go through 21 US states and 4 in Canada.

Bummer on your routing, you're gonna miss the goose in Wawa.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 07:59:09 pm »
Looks good.  I find Canada travel, like the others, to be bit more expensive - but it's so nice there and the drivers (at least in western Canada) are more fast bike tolerant than in the western US!

I'd plan on a couple more nights in hotels, since camping in the rain is no fun.  I've yet to make a camping reservation, always going by luck and chance, but it's been decades since I camped beyond the west, so I've no current knowledge of whether this is advisable in your destinations.

Post up a trip report with a few photos ??
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 09:50:29 pm »
will do, report is easy, pics are hard since photobucket went crazy, that and the last trip I took up to Niagara and back over. a 4 day weekend I only managed to take 17 photos over 17 states and 2500 miles. I am not a big stop and take pics guy but I will get ateast 25 or so.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 11:32:52 pm »
Put google photos on your phone and computers.  Besides free photo backup and sync, you can share photos like you did with photo bucket.

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 01:53:37 am »
Sounds like a good ride.
I agree with a basic plan. No plan, you have no idea where you are. Something comes up that you think you'd like to make an extended stop, you can make the choice and compare it with what you will miss. No plan, you end up stopping and sometimes regretting because you missed something you really wanted to visit.
BTW... my wife and I have been on trips as long as 11 days (not camping) and all fit into the saddlebags, and about 1/3 of a round duffel bag on the luggage rack - yes, she can pack light  :great:

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 02:34:39 pm »
Well getting close only a month out, time to get the bike ready. I have a new front tire on the way, wheel bearings front and rear, brakes front and rear, and a new filter and oil. All that should show up this week so can get it done this weekend and ride it a few weeks to make sure the bike is good to go with no surprises. Route has continued to evolve and change, at least the first few days, didn't think about the traffic issues of memorial day along the east coast so will cut north much earlier and skip Delaware and New Jersey all together, heading up through the western side of Virgina to pick up the BRP and then 81 on up to Harrisburg PA area.

Anyway, starting to get excited but also wondering what all I am forgetting?

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 03:03:50 pm »
On my last long ride, like around 9 hours in the saddle, I just gave up plans for meals.
Instead, at every gas stop, I had ice cream.

That was the best decision ever.

All I could think of between gas stops was my next ice cream.
It was just the right amount of rest and nurishment I needed to keep going.
The Camelbak kept me hydrated.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Please buy my Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 05:50:33 pm »
In my travels, I came to the conclusion there is never too much money.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2019 ATC 28' FB Toy Hauler
Where are you? [insert random forest name]