Author Topic: My Quest To Visit All 47 South Carolina State Parks  (Read 121 times)

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
  • CDA# 0440
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10851
  • Membership Level: Active
My Quest To Visit All 47 South Carolina State Parks
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:58:11 pm »
Tell me about your local SC state park! :) :) :)

I have lived in SC most of my life. I was conceived in Simpsonville, educated in Conway, Hartsville and Rock Hill, and have lived mostly in Horry County.

Wanting to learn more about my native state, I am soon to embark on a Quest (Taa-Raaa!) to visit all 47 SC state parks, including the 37 actual parks, the 8 historic sites, and the one-each resort park and recreation area. On motorcycle, of course. I like to camp and will do so when possible, but this 2-night minimum thing is gonna cramp my style. I'm more about the journey than the destination.

I live in Conway, near Myrtle Beach, so I have visited MB and Huntington parks frequently growing up. Might have to do a ride-thru to count them on the MC list.

I have ridden my C10 to to Lake Greenwood and Caesar's Head, and I've been to Cheraw and Sesquicentennial, but again, I'll need to do a wheel-dip to count them.

Any info from locals would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I'll need to buy the $99 Park Pass to save admission charges, and stay 6 feet from any rangers, bears, or other visitors.
Life is a contest between engineers and God. Engineers keep making things more idiot-proof and God keeps making bigger idiots. ;D

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: My Quest To Visit All 47 South Carolina State Parks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:45:51 am »
Watching with interest ( I live in GA). Great idea.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline crag antler

• Scooter
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:32:40 pm »
If/when you get over to Cowpens, let me know :great: :great:
Right over the border by Columbus NC
Doug aka crag antler
00’ C-10 w/ 60k +

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:54:43 am »
I always liked Huntington Beach State Park. The last time we were there was 6 months after hurricane Hugo. We went skinny dipping with another couple after dark and almost got caught by the Ranger. Great seafood just north of the park. Camping and day use.
The only other park in SC we've been to is Edisto Beach. Very nice, on the ocean and as deep south as could possibly be.
Route 17 is a cool road, four laned and reasonably fast. Parts of Route 17 once served as a pre-interstate highway system New York to Florida corridor.
Sounds like a fun trip!