Author Topic: My Quest To Visit All 47 South Carolina State Parks  (Read 557 times)

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
  • CDA# 0440 2019 C-14 "Miss Traveller"
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10851
  • Membership Level: Active
My Quest To Visit All 47 South Carolina State Parks
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:58:11 pm »
Tell me about your local SC state park! :) :) :)

I have lived in SC most of my life. I was conceived in Simpsonville, educated in Conway, Hartsville and Rock Hill, and have lived mostly in Horry County.

Wanting to learn more about my native state, I am soon to embark on a Quest (Taa-Raaa!) to visit all 47 SC state parks, including the 37 actual parks, the 8 historic sites, and the one-each resort park and recreation area. On motorcycle, of course. I like to camp and will do so when possible, but this 2-night minimum thing is gonna cramp my style. I'm more about the journey than the destination.

I live in Conway, near Myrtle Beach, so I have visited MB and Huntington parks frequently growing up. Might have to do a ride-thru to count them on the MC list.

I have ridden my C10 to to Lake Greenwood and Caesar's Head, and I've been to Cheraw and Sesquicentennial, but again, I'll need to do a wheel-dip to count them.

Any info from locals would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I'll need to buy the $99 Park Pass to save admission charges, and stay 6 feet from any rangers, bears, or other visitors.
Life is a contest between engineers and God. Engineers keep making things more idiot-proof and God keeps making bigger idiots. ;D

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: My Quest To Visit All 47 South Carolina State Parks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:45:51 am »
Watching with interest ( I live in GA). Great idea.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline crag antler

• Scooter
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:32:40 pm »
If/when you get over to Cowpens, let me know :great: :great:
Right over the border by Columbus NC
Doug aka crag antler
00’ C-10 w/ 60k +

Offline Greenie

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:54:43 am »
I always liked Huntington Beach State Park. The last time we were there was 6 months after hurricane Hugo. We went skinny dipping with another couple after dark and almost got caught by the Ranger. Great seafood just north of the park. Camping and day use.
The only other park in SC we've been to is Edisto Beach. Very nice, on the ocean and as deep south as could possibly be.
Route 17 is a cool road, four laned and reasonably fast. Parts of Route 17 once served as a pre-interstate highway system New York to Florida corridor.
Sounds like a fun trip!
1975 Honda 550 4 (sold) - 1981 Honda 750 Custom (sold)- 1986 C10 (sold) - 1998 C10 (parts bike) - 2004 C10

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 03:40:00 pm »
If/when you get over to Cowpens, let me know :great: :great:
Right over the border by Columbus NC

I have visited Cowpens, part of the National park system, on my way to a Civil War event. Maybe I'll drop by if it's on the way to one of my SC parks.

I have biked and camped at Dreher Island (awesome park in the middle of a huge lake) and Wateree. I have done Civil war events at Rivers Bridge and Cheraw, but the first is held on private land (on original earthworks built under the supervision of RE Lee!) and the second at a city park where the actual battle occurred. I have also visited Andrew Jackson, Charles Town Landing, Hampton Plantation, Kings Mtn. (an ancestor fought there on the American side), and Oconee.

But I plan to start with a clean slate. If the good weather holds I want to head to Myrtle Beach tomorrow (the first park opened, in 1936), pick up my Passport and check off Huntington Beach on the way home.

Stay tuned to this Bat Channel for further updates. Fellow Sandlappers, please chime in with kudos for your local park. I'm thinking Little Pee Dee may be next on the list. I am trying for a new position at work which will give me a regular schedule and weekends free. Wish me luck!

:) :) :)
Life is a contest between engineers and God. Engineers keep making things more idiot-proof and God keeps making bigger idiots. ;D

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 11:08:47 pm »
 Two Parks Down; 45 To Go!!!!

Today I visited Myrtle Beach and Huntington Beach State Parks, bought my $99 Annual Park Pass, and learned some stuff. Most importantly, I found that (duh :-[) I am not the first person with this idea. In fact, the idea is so popular that the DNR/PRT (Dept of Nat. Resources/Parks, Recreation & Tourism) has a program for goofballs like me called The Ultimate Outsider (I like the sound of that).  Basically, you get a booklet, visit parks, collect stamps in your booklet like a passport, then send it in and get a T-shirt, plus bragging rights. The lady in the office also mentioned a patch (a former Boy Scout, I love patches) and a gift bag-o-stuff. If there's no patch, my friend the tailor has a computer-embroidery machine & can make me one.

:beerchug: :great: :) :) :) :)

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 12:42:50 am »
Myrtle Beach State Park

As previously mentioned, this was the first unit of the system, built by the CCC and opened in 1936. There are cabins for rent on the north end of the park that were built by the CCC,  are on a cabin-only road, and have all modern amenities. You can see floor plans and reserve them online 13 months ahead. I have never stayed in one but if I was not from here it would beat the heck out of a hotel room for me. There is also an RV-centric  "camping" area. Tenting is allowed but not sure if you can escape the sound of generators.

I indulged my sleeping-late hobby since I have 7 days of 5am shifts ahead. When I arrived at the crack of noon the park was at (Covid) capacity and temporarily not admitting anyone. So I did a quick U-turn to the front gate of the former MB Air Force Base and pulled in at War Bird Park. Lots of shade and benches; no restrooms.

On display there are examples of the primary planes that flew out of the base when it was active, plus memorials funded by various support groups. I remember watching the A-7 Corsair IIs and the A-10 "Warthog" tank-killers from the (former) state park pool when I was a kid in the 70s. The Super Sabres were before my time. But I did get to speak with a vet who fought on the ground with the A-10s providing close support. He mentioned their distinctive sound, which brought back more memories.

Back at the park, I got in and found a parking spot. Grabbed my Thermos of tea and my lunch, found an unoccupied picnic table in the shade, and relaxed for a bit while reading up on this UO program. Crowd was about like I remembered, with a little more Spanish in the air than the 70s. The pool with the first hi-dive I ever braved is gone, the Putt-Putt course we played for free in winter months is gone, and there are WAAAY more parking lots, but overall the park is still like I remember it. Pretty good for 40-plus years.

Next installment:

Huntington Beach and Atalaya Castle...Maybe A Side Trip To Brookgreen Gardens
[/b][/size][/size][/size]

Offline Greenie

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 10:54:07 am »
Very interesting report. I've worked in state parks since 1973 and have so much respect for work the CCC did - which often now has degraded or disappeared. A visit to a park I started at revealed a group picnic shelter with a rotted roof I could see the sky through in places. CCC work often featured a rustic style - not very popular in these days of textured concrete blocks and not much concern for aesthetics.
I miss the diving boards at pools too - thank a lawyer for those all disappearing along with teeter toters, swings, those elbow cracking merry go rounds... that's back when playgrounds were fun.
Some park systems have honored CCC projects by maintaining them. Montgomery Bell State Park in Tennessee has literally hundreds of cabins the CCC built in the 1930's. Meramec State Park in Missouri has a nice exhibit explaining the CCC's  mission and results.
I had a new supervisor who asked me what the CCC was (I'm not saying which state - I've worked in 3 different states)  - he had never heard of the program yet he oversees state parks - some that were developed from raw land by the CCC into parks still in use today. The general public mostly doesn't know about the contributions depression era men made in developing so many state parks - which probably would not have been created otherwise.
Keep on with the reports! I really enjoy reading them. Maybe some pictures too if you can finger out how to post photos - something I have yet to do.....
1975 Honda 550 4 (sold) - 1981 Honda 750 Custom (sold)- 1986 C10 (sold) - 1998 C10 (parts bike) - 2004 C10

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Road Bike
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 10:59:41 am »
Great reports, need pics!!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 11:07:33 am »
Great write ups and fascinating tour material. Thanks. Please keep posting your adventure.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 09:23:58 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, gang! I forgot to mention that MBSP has a few hundred acres of mostly undisturbed maritime forest, with nature trails running thru, and an entrance road that shows it off. For inland types, that means oak trees that are 1/2 to 1/3 the size they should be because of constant battering by salt air and salt spray, plus the occasional hurricane. This makes the trees and other flora stunted and dense, so trails are more like tunnels. This type of woods was common along the 60-mile Grand Strand before the land-rapers got going after WWII.

Also available are: a fishing pier jutting into the ocean (with ice cream!), well-maintained bath-houses with hot showers, lots of picnic tables and permanent grills, and a whole lotta covered picnic shelters scattered along the beach and even into the forest. There are no lifeguards on the beach, but there are also no condo towers or hotels looming beyond the dune line. All in all, a great place to enjoy a day at the beach without spending a fortune.

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 10:07:37 pm »
Dang!!! Computer ate my Huntington post!!! Will try again tomorrow.

I used to be able to post pics but lost that ability a while back. I'll take some and try to post later..... :beerchug:

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 08:07:13 pm »
Huntington Beach and Atalaya Castle

Wealthy Yankees bought up a lot of former rice plantations in coastal SC in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Rice cultivation is extremely labor-intensive and you can't get filthy rich w/o the virtually free slave labor that was available before the Civil War. But the same impoundments turned out to be great for attracting ducks and other migratory birds along the Atlantic Flyway. They also attracted wealthy "sportsmen" who had been deprived of their "sport" by the ravages of market hunting (excuse me while I descend my soap-box). I will explain my grandfather's place in this history in a later post. Put the guns down boys; I am not anti-hunting. I just hate waste. Shoot it, eat it, we're cool.

Enter Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington, wealthy scholar/philanthropist and gifted sculptor, respectively.  One of the early 20th's Power Couples, they bought up three or four adjacent plantations and set about building a winter retreat, studio, and sculpture garden.

Brookgreen Gardens, across US 17 from the park, contains the largest collection of outdoor American sculpture in the world, and will have to be the subject of a later post. One of my cousins actually lived in the gardens with one of her husbands, a botanist. Myrtle Beach is a kinda roller-coaster, putt-putt, real golf, titty-bar kind of blue-collar vacation place, which is fine with me since I'm just an over-educated redneck myself, but Brookgreen is actually what all these new fake-stucco condo towers claim to be: WORLD CLASS. It is number one on my list of places I recommend that tourists visit. They sell a multi-day pass now because there is no way to take it all in during one visit. I will save now to avoid losing content..............

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 09:32:24 pm »
[size=14pt]Back to Huntington, the park and the Castle[/size]
[/b]

Now Huntington's a lot different from MB State Park, but also a lot alike. 2500 acres with 170 campsites, 6? tent sites with water only, primitive group camping (think Scouts), nature trails and programs, lots of non-condo beach; it sounds a lot the same. But Huntington is farther south, on the Waccamaw Neck (the peninsula between the Waccamaw black-water river and the Atlantic), and riven by a southern extension of the salt-water marshes of Murrells Inlet (the seafood capital of SC).

When you drive in, instead of a winding road thru the maritime forest, you are quickly on a causeway across the marsh. You can't stop these days, but you can continue to the other side, park, and walk or bike back. If you have never seen or smelled a Lowcountry salt marsh, I can't adequately describe it. It smells like primeval life, especially at low tide, because it is an estuary - a nursery for sea creatures. It looks like a water-covered, fertile field stretching to the limits imposed by the forest. You will see oyster racks, wading birds like egrets harvesting dinner, and alligators. We used to throw marshmallows to the gators when I was a kid, but jackwagons started throwing styrofoam, so now there's a fence and you can't feed them. One more photo op lost to A-holes. By the way, what we know as marshmallows are actually a commercial imitation of a now-rare plant.

On the causeway are several structures designed for observation or crabbing. Blue crabs are abundant, and easily caught by dangling a couple chicken necks on a string into the water. Crabs are stupid and won't let go. I know you need a fishing license to harvest oysters (and you hafta know if you're on public or private grounds) but I dunno about crabbing - ask a ranger. I do know they are delicious once you learn to clean them properly - again, ask a ranger. No wading to get oysters -- you can't take them in the park and you will be sorry you tried!!!! Once again, talk to a ranger or just go to an oyster house where they do all the work. The Inlet is minutes to your north.

Much of the Neck was devastated by Hurricane Hugo in 1989, so a lot of the structures at the park were rebuilt on stilts, including the gift shop and some of the bath-houses. Take the northern road just beachward of the causeway to get to a small camping/picnic area with its own restrooms, picnic shelter and beach access. Or park at the Castle lot where there is another beach access and you can tour the Huntingtons' winter residence.

It's called the Castle because Archer was a devotee of Spanish literature and architecture. He supposedly designed the house (?) along the lines of a Moorish castle, although his builder had some choice words along those lines, since Huntington evidently didn't believe in blueprints. Most rooms were designed to take the sea breeze; there are large interior courtyards, and every room -even bathrooms - has a wood-burning fireplace. Besides indoor and outdoor studios for Anna, and offices for Archer and his secretary, there are kitchens and an icebox-room (with outside crane), servant's quarters, dog kennels, bear pens (for Anna's models), stables (one for another famous model), laundry rooms and a courtyard for drying, a library, and other rooms closed to the public (along with the parapets, alas!).

After Archer died, Anna never came back and stayed up North. They left Brookgreen, Atalaya and Huntington to the people of SC. THANK YOU!!!! All of their furniture was also shipped back home, so what you see on the tour is just bare rooms. But it is, literally, a two-dollar-tour and worth far more. Plus you get to hang with working families trying to show their kids a good time at the beach on a budget --MY PEOPLE!!! Thank you again, Huntingtons!!!

Before I forget, there is also the famed Atalaya Arts & Crafts Festival every September (not sure about Covid schedule). A great event that I will get to attend FREE with my $99 Passport unless it is cancelled. I have been several times and always see something new and/of something cool.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:41:44 pm by Uncle Vern »

Offline Greenie

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 11:40:03 pm »
Really enjoy your writing Vern!  We used to feed marshmallows to gators too - put the headlights on the water and those eyes... when we were at Huntington Beach a local couple invited us to visit them at their home. Never seen them before and had that very kind offer just a few minutes after we met. Southern hospitality does exist! Great people there - your write up makes me want to go back.

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 06:59:41 pm »
Great people there - your write up makes me want to go back.

Besides bragging about the cool places we have preserved here via the SC State Park system, that's one of the goals of this thread. The main economic driver in my area is tourism. I'm kind of a one-man volunteer tourist bureau -- I'm always welcoming people and thanking them for visiting (although I often wish that so many of them would refrain from moving here).

I especially like to encourage motorcycle tourism, which the local governments and Chamber of Commerce have short-sightedly tried to eliminate. The Chamber took the following info off its website, but their own data showed that motorcyclists, as a group, spend more $ per person per day than any other tourists. Like most working locals, I like people who come here and spend freely.

But Johnny-come-lately retirees, and people afraid of loud noises and scary bikers managed to run off a Harley rally that was held here for almost 70 years (the HD Dealers Assoc. moved it to New Bern, NC). The city passed an illegal helmet law that got shot down by the state Supremes. These morons even got an anti-biker fool -- Tom Rice Krispy -- elected to Congress (this idiot actually mailed out Rice Krispy treats with his campaign flyers).

Excuse me if I sound a little bitter -- I am. But SC remains a great place to visit, and I will continue to promote it to help put money into the pockets of the hard-working folks who work in tourism or are affected by it -- which is most of us locals, one way or another. If I can accomplish another personal goal of finding a job or position that will get me on a normal schedule, I'd like to try to organize a local COG rally. My current position pays well, but the fluctuating hours and schedule leave a lot to be desired.

Back To Park Visiting

Since my days off are getting moved around a lot by my clueless new "manager," I am scouting out nearby parks I can check off on a day trip. I was going to hit Hampton Plantation near McClellanville today but a rain system got my bad knee stiff so I will try again on my next day off. McClellanville used to be an active fishing village -- much of the movie Forrest Gump was filmed nearby -- but imports and aquaculture have almost wiped out the shrimping business. It's still a beautiful place to live if you have money or inherited family land or -- ideally -- both. The enormous moss-draped live oaks and crumbling waterfront will remind you of the movie. It is adjacent to the enormous marshes and sea islands of the Cape Romaine Wildlife Refuge. Nearby Buck Hall landing offers a 3-lane boat ramp for access, and it stays busy all night during the fall shrimp-baiting season.

Hampton itself is what's left of yet another Lowcountry rice plantation, including the mansion that was its center. Famed outdoor writer and SC Poet Laureate Archibald Rutledge was born and raised here. His ancestors were among the Founding Fathers of our nation and state but much of their wealth was built on legal slavery, so the current politically-correct view is that they must have been scum. Whatever.

Hampton sits on the edge of the vast Francis Marion National Forest, 250,00 acres of outdoor recreational opportunities. I have stayed at a deer camp near the mansion while shrimp-baiting in nearby Bulls Bay, and got a couple Scout badges for hiking the Francis Marion Trail and doing a multi-day canoe trip on the Little Pee Dee. Besides hunting (in season) camping, and hiking, there are trails for bikes with and without engines, endangered red-cockaded woodpeckers, fishing, wildlife-watching, tidal creeks, swamps and marshes to explore by canoe or kayak, and lots of other ways to enjoy the forest.

Marion, the "Swamp Fox," was a Revolutionary War General reviled by the British for his use of guerilla tactics. He helped secure our freedom, but we're probably not supposed to revere him anymore either, since he was a wealthy white guy. The movie The Patriot was kinda-sorta based on his exploits, but the Hollywood types made up a lot and left out a lot. They also filmed it in the upstate because there were too many trees in the way in the swamps where the events actually happened.

I hope ya'll will continue to read as I share my combined loves of history, motorcycling and my home state.  :) :) :)

Till next time... :motonoises: :beerchug:

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 09:29:13 pm »
Uncle Vern, if you want to organize a COG rally, "git 'er done". You're SC AAD is Mike (Bugnut) Laven in Greer. I'm in Gainesville GA. Let's get it on the calendar.

Ron
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 12:15:36 am »
Uncle Vern, if you want to organize a COG rally, "git 'er done". You're SC AAD is Mike (Bugnut) Laven in Greer. I'm in Gainesville GA. Let's get it on the calendar.

Ron

Ron, I know your AD duties require you to encourage me, but I have a couple caveats. First, I have to find a new job or transfer w/in my current organization to get a more normal schedule. Second, I really think I should attend at least one COG rally before I try to organize one. Third, something's gotta break with this virus crap so we can actually hold rallies again. But thanks for the positive feedback. Once things calm down, I want to start paying on the debt I feel I owe to COG.

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 01:34:56 am »
Third Park Falls Under Relentless Assault

On the way to Hampton Plantation today, a good omen crossed my path at the border of Horry and Georgetown Counties. At first I thought it was a skinny dog or a big cat, but when I hit the air horn, it jumped and I saw the brush. A fox!!! A Swamp Fox, no less!!! Too cool!!!

South of the Great Pee Dee River at Yauhannah, the road quality deteriorates. This part of the road was originally concrete slabs, and they have settled unevenly under the asphalt topping, leaving bumpy seams that get really annoying after a few miles. I stopped in Georgetown for gas and to visit my maternal grandparents' gravesites, then picked up 17 South.

As soon as I arrived, I regretted leaving the pack I took to Huntington last trip. The one with the BUG SPRAY in it. A lifelong swamper, I should have known better. Ah well, perils of exploration.

Pavement ends at the entrance to the park off Rutledge Road. Go slow, remove sunglasses and watch out for deep sand. It is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the tarmac to the visitor center next to the mansion, both of which were closed (Covid?). I parked in a grassy area that gave my sidestand decent support and set out to explore. Passed a couple rangers in a Mule-type vehicle on the way in, and a couple carfulls of whining families were on their way out, but I was otherwise alone.

There are restrooms next to the VC, where I splashed cold water on my face before continuing. Informative plaques line the path toward the mansion, situated on the edge of Wambaw Creek across from a large island where the business of rice cultivation provided the cash basis for the site's existence. I kept searching for the kiosk where I was told I could stamp my Ultimate Outsider booklet. A bug onslaught kept me from checking out Archibald Rutledge's garden, and I found myself back by the VC. A child-size bootprint at the first noteboard turned out to conceal the hiding place for the elusive stamp.

A friendly ranger and former VFR owner directed me to a less-sandy exit route. Said he'd helped pick up lots of bikes that went over in the sand. Once back on 17, I headed south to McClellanville seeking a bug-free picnic spot for lunch. I ended up at the town hall and boat ramp on Jeremy Creek, where some dredging was going on, evidently trying to keep the channel open. South down the creek, I saw four or five shrimp trawlers tied up, so that bidness is not quite wiped out yet.

The town pier has a covered nook on the end, which is good, because the typical summer-afternoon showers chose that moment to descend. So I hung out in the dry, watched the dredging operation, and had lunch.

On the way home, I skipped the bumps on 701 and fought the tourist traffic up 17 through Pawleys Island and Litchfield instead. It saddens me to see the endless strip malls, chain stores and fast-food joints where woods and the occasional homestead or local business once stood. I made it to 707 before the rain caught me again. I ducked under the canopy of a gas/beer/liquor store in Burgess, bought an OJ and put on my rain gear. Of course, as soon as I did that, the rain moved off and all the moisture was generated on the inside of my gear the rest of the way home.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 10:37:14 pm »

Ron

Ron, I know your AD duties require you to encourage me, but I have a couple caveats. First, I have to find a new job or transfer w/in my current organization to get a more normal schedule. Second, I really think I should attend at least one COG rally before I try to organize one. Third, something's gotta break with this virus crap so we can actually hold rallies again. But thanks for the positive feedback. Once things calm down, I want to start paying on the debt I feel I owe to COG.

No problem. Sooner or later, we'll rally. We're working on Run With The Wolf in Suches, GA for Sept of this year and a very casual camping type, socially distanced appropriate Beat the Heat gathering the end of this month.  Don't know if any of us can help with the job, but if you post what you're looking for, you just never know.  ;) 

Keep writing. I've been to a lot of these places, but always looking for new adventures. Thank you. You're paying it back right now.
Ron
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 01:14:02 am »
Rain Screws Vern Again

Hoped to hit Woods Bay or Little Pee Dee parks today but the typical afternoon thunderstorms didn't think so.

Vacation came thru today for 7/18 - 7/24. So I started looking at ways I can camp in a spot and hit nearby parks to check off.

Little Pee Dee still has openings; we'll see.......

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 01:24:36 am »
Photo Seekers

I just wanted to point out that all of the sites I visit have a "view photos"  spot to click on. My contributions probly wooden measure up. Each park has a notice at the start that tells U where they hide the Ultimate Outsider stamp

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 01:32:21 am »
and Jeremy Creek runs into the Waterway from the west, so I am lost, but still hunting shrimp >:(

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 10:14:39 pm »
Freedom!!!

Jumped shark and took a factory day job reeeal close to the homestead. "Weekends off" has a ring hard to understand unless you grew up working in a tourist town like I did. It's a big pay cut but I hope to pick up something part-time. My own plan to start a weekend business can proceed once COVID ends.

Can't wait to take a weekend trip and check off more parks :) :) :)

Offline Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 10:21:33 pm »

Parks Link

Will attempt to post link to SC State Parks website

https://southcarolinaparks.com/

This will let you check out each park like I do and even make camping reservations.