Author Topic: The Coronado Trail (Former US 666)  (Read 264 times)

Offline CultLdr

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
The Coronado Trail (Former US 666)
« on: October 13, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »
Did a quick trip to ride The Coronado Trail. I've read a lot about it and since it is closer than most rides and colder weather coming soon up north had to make a command decision and took off from Phoenix area Tuesday afternoon so I could enjoy the ride Wednesday.

Stayed at Hannagan Meadow Tuesday night in one of the cabins and I really need to go back to this area and spend more time. Wednesday started out in Alpine and get on 180 to go East into New Mexico and stayed on 180 South to get to Hwy 78 to cut back across to get to 191 (the point of the trip :) ).

Started the ride up 191 in Clifton/Morenci and right from the start it was amazing. Morenci may not be for some but to see this humongous open copper mine was incredible! I used to work for a Caterpillar dealer in Houston and my wife works with Cat now and to see the equipment used in mining is insane on the sheer size and how dwarfed they looked working in the mine.

I never got a chance to do the Dragon while out East and am so glad I got this ride in on 191 this year before snow etc. 80+ miles of tight 10mph hairpin turns, beautiful scenery and the 5000' elevation gain. Some are saying 500 or so turns to some saying 1200? Either way it was an amazing ride and only saw 4 cars and 1 bike going North to South and no traffic in front or behind me going South to North the entire way.

Doug
Chandler, AZ

Offline CultLdr

• Big Wheels
Re: The Coronado Trail (Former US 666)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:32:53 pm »
2 more

Doug
Chandler, AZ

Online Charby

• Moped
  • COG#: 11182
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:40:58 pm »
We just had a Ride to Eat at Clint's Well last Saturday with Old Man on a Connie (Mark - Southwest AD) and talked about having a rally there possible next Spring after the snow melts. We are having one in Prescott the weekend of 11/11 so keep an eye out for the Prescott thread.

Offline CultLdr

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:26:55 pm »
Will do! Thanks for the heads up :)

Doug
Chandler, AZ