Author Topic: Ear plug advise  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Ear plug advise
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 02:05:21 pm »
Just something to try, as mentioned before, speaker placement is important also, you might be surprised at the difference. One of our vendors gave me guidance on this which I never considered prior to.  Place only one speaker in your helmet, then find the 'sweet spot', match the speaker location on the other side, should be an improvement.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:43 pm »
Just something to try, as mentioned before, speaker placement is important also, you might be surprised at the difference. One of our vendors gave me guidance on this which I never considered prior to.  Place only one speaker in your helmet, then find the 'sweet spot', match the speaker location on the other side, should be an improvement.

Thats a good idea too im sure. I have messed around quite a lot with speaker placement and at this time I feel I have them as good as I can get .
 Moved them a little closer also which helped a lot.
  I went to a ear doctor yesterday who sold me some Ear Doc plugs to try . I hate em. One side feels great but the otherside not. Its not the plugs its the difference in ears. my wife got some too . She had the same experience but opposite ears. Although uncomfortable they did a decent job of dampening noise and I could hear the coms better with them .  Like they funneled the sound into my out ears somehow. I went back t the Heros foam before the ride was up .
2016 C-14

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 03:37:26 pm »
Strum,

I have a similar issue with hearing loss. Using ear plugs I am unable to hear my wife on the intercom. This doesn't sound like an issue to some, however it is these types of conveniences that make riding fun for my wife so the hunt is on for the fix. The best solution I have found is to use custom molded in ear headphones connected to the intercom system. This allows me to keep the volume to my helmet quite low, incredible clarity with music and my wife's voice, and provide hearing protection from the sounds of riding.
CDA #0542

Offline Grasshopper

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9961
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 10:36:06 pm »
+1 on the molded ones. I got mine from a vendor at the Barber Vintage weekend 3 or 4 years ago. Can hear the passenger and she doesn't have a mike.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 12:23:38 am »
Strum,

I have a similar issue with hearing loss. Using ear plugs I am unable to hear my wife on the intercom. This doesn't sound like an issue to some, however it is these types of conveniences that make riding fun for my wife so the hunt is on for the fix. The best solution I have found is to use custom molded in ear headphones connected to the intercom system. This allows me to keep the volume to my helmet quite low, incredible clarity with music and my wife's voice, and provide hearing protection from the sounds of riding.

altho I don't use an intercom, as i don't want to talk to people while I ride...  I have been making my own "plugs" and also form fit "music phones" for super cheap for almost 25 years now... the materials are really cheap, and I think I made at least 20 pairs of custom headphones from cheapo earbuds, and other device Buds...

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-0-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B002KHNB8Y/ref=asc_df_B002KHNB8Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309813749887&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11848598114141605069&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015276&hvtargid=pla-434804472143&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Tan/dp/B0006GWRJK/ref=pd_cp_200_3?pd_rd_w=djwaB&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=4N68B78S7TSX5CEC71YZ&pd_rd_r=497ed9a2-d7d4-4d7b-8271-50b8fba7ea73&pd_rd_wg=7WYMG&pd_rd_i=B0006GWRJK&refRID=4N68B78S7TSX5CEC71YZ&th=1

I bought a bunch of kits, for like half that price, over the years, I carry a couple "kits" in my shaving bag where ever I ride, just so i can make them when needed, or hand them out to someone, in trade for a beer or 2...
 :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

or any such common product, works well.. mix, make a "hole for the ear bud", shove in ear, shove in "speaker", pull out and pierce the "inner ear" section with a "swizzle straw" and smoosh some over the "bud",  then re-insert and let it cure..   The first sets I made, I got bummed, when I ripped the wires out because I forgot to be gentle.. but after making a bunch, and having so many el cheapo speakers, you only loose time and $15 a pop.. meh...   heck, you can buy 4 sets of in ear devices at Dollar General for $20... they all work fine, and even when you damage a set, they still work for "hearing protection..."..
I hate earplugs, but after years of competitive shooting, and the losses I have, I find these work great. Sure beats having raw ears from "helmet speakers" rubbing them, or displacing a "bud" while riding in the middle of a great song...  :rotflmao:

I tossed mine on the table of a vendor that was charging $300 at a bike show, for a "set", and asked him if his were better than my $20 ones.. I pzzed him off, I think..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:36:15 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2019, 06:37:33 pm »
I purchased a pair of the Eargasms and so Im very pleased.
  They feel good and I and I can hear better than any plugs I've used yet.

2016 C-14

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 12:15:30 am »
I'm trying the Ear Peace brand today and I'm liking those. (Missed you at the Wolf. Btw.)
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Redlion61

• Rusty Red Rider
  • Mini Bike
  • Connie Forever!
    • Personal Website
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10098
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 04:08:36 pm »
I'm trying the Ear Peace brand today and I'm liking those. (Missed you at the Wolf. Btw.)

Yep, been using those for four years now, and I love them! They actually get more comfortable over time!
Chris Dupuis
IT Guy, 2012 Connie ZG14 Rider

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 06:28:20 pm »
So after a few days/miles Im very happy with them.
  hey Ron sorry I missed you man.
2016 C-14

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 12:11:51 am »

Cool. I'll come by and see you one day.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 01:43:31 am »

Cool. I'll come by and see you one day.

Any Time brother
2016 C-14

Offline MarkP.

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2019, 01:07:57 pm »
I had the same issue, I used ear plugs to block out the wind noise, then ran the Sena at full blast to overpower both the wind noise and the ear plugs. So I decided to combine both.

I bought a set of ear phones that are built like ear plugs and fit inside the ear. Then I changed out my Sena base to one that accepts plug in head sets. The combination is perfect. I can run the audio low, still talk to my wife, and the wind noise is cut way down.

Here is what I used.

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 02:56:55 pm »
There are a number of things involved in getting good results.

First, blocking out the outside noise.  That's wind noise from your helmet, as well as road noise from the vehicles around you.
Second, getting the audio past that outside noise.

For years, I commuted using a set of high quality noise reduction ear buds.  They were really nothing more than a earplug with a tiny speaker piped through the inside.  The tips looked something like this with multiple flanges to block outside noise.

After a few years of this, I decided I wanted a BT headset and bought a Sena 10C Pro.  That forced me to consider earplugs for hearing protection, instead of the earbuds.

I learned a few things.
  • Earbuds don't give you nearly enough sound reduction as I'd hoped for.  At best, they were mediocre.
  • Earplugs come in various noise reduction ratings.  A -3db difference is noticeable.  The most effective ones that I know of are -33db.
  • Speaker placement is critical.  Slip your fingers under the side of your helmet when it is on, and feel both where the opening of your hear is and where the speaker is placed.
     Try to adjust the speaker so it is centered on that opening.
  • Microphone placement is critical also.  The noise reduction in the BT headsets will block out the communication if the mic is too far away from your lips.  Eat the mic...or feel like you're about to.
  • Don't forget to use that foam wind sock they include.  It makes a huge difference.  There's one rider on this forum that doesn't use one and I can't understand him most of the time.  It's just noise coming through from everywhere around him.
  • Look to the source of your audio to adjust the sound.  My Sena will control the overall volume, but if I'm playing music from my phone, the phone has the most control of that channel.  Likewise, my radar detector controls the volume I hear inside the helmet.
  • As llmotoll wrote, Sena has an audio boost setting in the settings.  If needed, turn it on.
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6