Author Topic: Helmet recommendations?  (Read 158 times)

Offline Wess

• Street Cruiser
  • I had sooner lose my arm than live under tyranny!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8010
  • Membership Level: Active
Helmet recommendations?
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:01:24 pm »
Just got a new 2019 beast and was wondering what helmets people would recommend as my Bell Star (II?) is getting a little long in the tooth and is bright red. While it looked ok on the 92 it clashed big time with the 20th anniversary Pearl Lister Beige but damn it is comfortable.
Respectfully Yours! 
Wess Heavner 
Independence, MO 
COG #8010 CDA #0239 ROK# ROK100027795  AMA# 2952749 IBA #38420 2009 Hard Luck Award Winner!

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
Re: Helmet recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:28:00 pm »
What is your head shape and size?

Asking for a helmet recommendation without that info, is like asking for a recommendation on shoes.  Do you have a wide foot?  Or a narrow one?  Sorry, but it is true.

The best source to me, is webBikeWorld.  https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews/  You'll get independent reviews that'll include the head shape the helmet is designed for.  That'll eliminate some of the helmets.  Just because it looks good in an advertisement, doesn't mean it'll feel good on your head.

webBikeWorld also includes objective tests on noise levels, eye port visibility, venting (both top and chin), comfort, quality, etc.  And since they compare a lot of helmets, their testing criteria is not just a "one off", but carried across all the helmets they test.  The page for helmet reviews says they've been doing this for 20 years and over 200 helmets.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Texas Concours14

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9760
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 06:28:07 pm »
No doubt you know this......but you can spend a lot for a helmet or spend not so much. In my experience the more expensive helmets provide better fit/comfort and are much quieter. I am partial to Shoei for whatever that is worth, but there are many good brands. I look for helmets with drop-down visor. Some helmets come with built-in communication systems or are designed for a specific brand such as Sena; that might be a consideration for you. If possible take whatever helmet you are considering for a test ride. Aside from noise, some helmets will torque your neck pretty good when you rotate the noggin left or right at highway speed; no way to know about those aerodynamics until you test ride. https://www.webbikeworld.com/ has many comprehensive real-world reviews of helmets.

Edit: Simultaneous postings with recommendation for the same website!
2010 Concours 14

Offline Rexter

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 07:39:37 pm »
Here’s a nugget size/shape chart

http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data/