Author Topic: New Helmet, New Experience  (Read 15238 times)

Offline wnsniper

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12488
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New Helmet, New Experience
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »
2wheel only had X-small left but I found a large on MotorcycleCloseouts.com.  They only had red in large but it was $224.95. (Free shipping) I just bought a 2015 Concours and I only have an open face helmet I use on my Harley and really wanted a modular so I pulled the trigger.  Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline Wizeguy

• Road Bike
  • Closet Hooligan
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12487
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2016, 10:44:47 pm »
LOL, yeah I looked and looked myself.  Ended up with the same, a Large Red from MC Closeouts.  Hell of a price though!  I've only ridden with it a half dozen times or so, but it's really comfortable so far and very quiet!  I can talk on the phone over my Scala WITH my foam earplugs in, and I have no problem hearing the caller.  It's the quietest helmet I've ever used, so far...

BTW, the Scala initially tweaked the shell JUST enough to make the sun visor not want to work.  But I adjusted it out, a little at a time, until the visor worked smoothly.  No problems thus far with looseness on the Scala unit or any additional binding with the visor, so all seems good!
Mike B / Seatac, Washington
1989 C10 "Gigi"
Former COG#6624

Offline wnsniper

• Tricycle
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2016, 12:44:03 am »
I read some bad reviews about MC Closeouts. Did you have any problems?  Most of the complaints were that they charge 10% restocking and do not pay for return shipping.  I was very careful to use their sizing chart so hopefully I won't have to exchange the helmet.

Offline wnsniper

• Tricycle
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2016, 05:13:42 pm »
Ordered it on the 21st, got it on the 23rd.  Can't complain about the shipping.  Helmet is a little snug but I'm sure that it will break in over time.  Nice quality.

Offline Wizeguy

• Road Bike
  • Closet Hooligan
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12487
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2016, 09:30:10 pm »
I have never had to return anything to them.  But as far as accuracy of product information, shipping, and of course PRICE, I have been very happy with them.
Mike B / Seatac, Washington
1989 C10 "Gigi"
Former COG#6624

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11206
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2016, 04:29:26 am »
Have ridden the full summer with mine now,  I will call it an improvement over my old HJC but not by any great degree. I will have to say that if I had paid the full list price for it I would not be happy.  Happy with the modular concept-can put it on and off without taking my glasses off if I so choose. I knew from reading about it the sun visor would not come down all the way, fact is the built in sun visor is pretty worthless, I have only used it  if I happen to get caught in a setting sun and then you have to tip your head a bit, that was disappointing. Have gotten used to the strap. Ah, somewhat more quiet I guess but not a lot.  That top vent indeed works better than the vent system on my old one, chin vent-not sure it does anything.  Mine still seems as nice as when new and fits the same but I only rode about 3k miles this summer.

So....better than my ten year old HJC (full face) ....my guess is its about as good as most any other $200.00 or so helmet....IMHO I would have hated to have paid the full $449.00 for it.

Take my report with a grain of salt as I have not ridden with any of the other helmet brands other than the previously mentioned ten year old HJC.   

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:13:40 pm by VisionDonNebr »

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12177
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2016, 02:32:19 pm »
I could not agree more with VisionDonNebr.  Same HJC story from me.  The new helmet is better, but not great.  I blacked out my sun shade completely with black tape, and that solution has worked great for me.  I wear sunglasses when I ride anyway, and the sun shade did little to help when I really needed it.  The "solid" shade now works like a sun visor in your car.  Perfect for heading into a rising or setting sun.   I would do that on any helmet sun shade I buy in the future.  Riding into the sun is really dangerous, especially on our winding mountain roads in Arizona, where most drivers act like they are cannonball run participants.

Offline fordtruck

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12172
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2016, 12:57:58 pm »
That's odd about the sun visor.  I really like the one on mine.  It's in the perfect spot for me. 
2009 Black C14
1977 KZ1000
2012 KLX250s

Online CRocker

• Crotch Rocket
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2016, 04:42:33 am »
That's odd about the sun visor.  I really like the one on mine.  It's in the perfect spot for me.

Me too...

Offline curt1480

• Training Wheels
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »
I am so glade I saw this post, as I was about to purchase that very helmet this week.  I kind of thought this was a cheaper version of a Shoei; at least that is how they are trying to sell it.  I was even told the factory is located on Shoei's manufacturing site and the two companies share idea's with each other.  Looking at the helmets side by side I see several similarities between the two.  However there are some real differences also, like the visor which is much smaller and not as smooth.  The material is softer but does not feel sturdy.  I can not speak to the noise level of the helmet and would be happy to hear that this helmet is as quiet as a Shoei or Schuberth for less than 1/2 the money.  This helmet is now 1/2 price, which really makes me wonder because the last helmet I purchased from this dealer had a manufacturing date of 2011 which was 6 years prior to my purchase and that helmet failed miserably.  I do need a quality Modular that will not break the bank and has Moderate noise levels.  So I hope with the new riding season there will be more great ideas out there. 

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2017, 01:55:00 pm »
Curt,
look at the new scorpion AT950. I love mine. Less than half the cost of my Neo Tec Imminent so I won't be as upset when I crash offroadthis august and scratch it. Pretty light also considering it is a modular.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline SATXRIDER

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12274
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2017, 04:30:06 pm »
I have had the Kabuta helmet for over a year now with no issues.  The only complaint I have is I can't remove the inner sun visor to clean it.  Does not come loose and I am afraid I will damage it if I pull too hard.  So for half the price of the Shoei's, I am happy
2013 C-14
2006 ZX-14
1982 GS1100

Offline curt1480

• Training Wheels
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2017, 11:13:52 am »
As a $200 helmet it is certainly worth a try.  However it appears that all those box stores are getting rid of this Brand and I do not think they are buying more.  Maybe Kabuto is getting out of the US market once again.  I would rate the quality as low to medium  when compared to other helmets.  It is not a premium helmet in my opinion, more like an attempt to copy a premium helmet on a low budget.

Offline curt1480

• Training Wheels
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2017, 08:06:25 pm »
Ok I was in the Market for a modular helmet when I read all the post about this helmet.  I was trying to decide between a Scorpion exo 3000gt and a Ls2 strobe.  I don't want to break the bank as I already have a few other helmets.  Well I look at my local dealer which is discounting the helmet for about $400 and thought I did not want to take a chance for a helmet I know little about.  However I found that e-bay currently has this model for $149 and thought how can you go wrong for the price.  Also I saw them at Motorcycle close out for about $200.  Soon as it comes in I will give you my feed back on comfort and quiet.  I don't know about everyone else but I wish these manufactures would concentrate more on reducing the noise on these things and yes I use a noise cancelling earplug so I can still hear things going on around me. 

Offline curt1480

• Training Wheels
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2017, 01:14:27 am »
Got the Helmet and took it on a 60 mile ride today in high winds.  1. First impression is that the Helmet build is good but not great.  2.  The interior is soft but not premium.  3.  The Paint is really good.  4.  The face sheild is thick and clear and the visor is too short but dark.  5.  The fit is comfortable with no pressure points (soft foam but not memory foam).  Riding at about 80 the wind catches the Helmet, it could use a spoiler or two.  6. The noise is quiet until you reach about 70 mph. Then it settles in at about average and take it to 80 and the noise increases proportionately.  With an intermediate oval shaped head a medium fits pretty good with little or no breakin time. This helmet is a good buy at $250 or less, but I do not see paying more for it.  For my my head shape the Ls 2 Strobe fits perfect except some of the pieces fill cheap.  The Scorpion Exo 3000Gt feel more premium than even the Shoei to me, so I think I will purchase that helmet as well and use the Kabuto as a back up, although the Kabuto could also be an all day helmet as well.