Author Topic: What are your best Long Distance touring boots?  (Read 2907 times)

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What are your best Long Distance touring boots?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 12:38:46 pm »
I know there will be dissent, but in my years of riding, Value is a direct corollary of price. 
I have purchased alot of cheap gear, and specifically when I didn't have the money to spend on a name brand or higher quality gear.

This year I finally ponied-up and got a pair of SiDI Adventure Goretex boots, and couldn't be happier.
The only complaint I have, is just like everyone else: they get NOISEY and CREAKY as they get broken-in, but bomb-proof, comfortable right out of the box, waterproof, and high-level of protection.

They ARE warm in the summer, but I don't ride over 90degrees if I can help it.

..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
  • "The path of the righteous"
    • Company Website under construction
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12260
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 03:23:11 am »
Speaking of warm in the summer: in my experience with Goretex boots I have found ambient heat has an apex point becomes harder to manage the more skin you have exposed: the temperature of the pavement and the heat of the motor at some point is hotter than the inside of the boot and the goretex along with the accompanying thinsulate (if equipped in your boot) or other layer, actually keeps you cooler at that point as it deflects heat.  I'd rather have Goretex boots on a long distance ride across Hwy 50 in Nevada in August than perforated Air-TEC whatever letting in 135+ degree asphalt air boil my feet.

It's true there is a middle cool temperature that perforated boots feel airy and light. But they also feel exposed to me. Like maybe they wouldn't hold up in a serious friction event like a slide or a crash. And the temperature range they feel good is not that wide. Then of course, the rain...

When riding on the Buck Sport Touring Pegs in summer the hot blast on my feet is sometimes worse than tucked in the regular rider position. Most of us probably know this from winter riding looking for a warm spot. Less wind, less ambient temperature blast. But I have found the Goretex really works on both ends of the temperature scale to protect my feet.

This goes for other clothing as well but that's another subject for another post that can also include discussion on heat, shade and  hydration.

Denny LaMaster

2005 Concours 1000 in Pearl Lustre Beige. On/Off petcock, Madstad 18" bronze screen, Throttle Meister, Murph's tip over bars w Hiway Pegs, Avons Storm 3D 110/80/18 -Cobra 160/80/16 SWEET... 2012 C14 Arabian Red, K&N  Russell Day Long dual heat, Phils Rack, ST Horizon Bars, Bestem 929 w top rack / LEDs, Buck's Hwy Pegs, MadStad Bracket on CalSci XL tall/wide. Time to Ride...

Offline Ingramite

• Tricycle
  • The Texas Hill Country
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12653
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 11:14:54 am »
I have a pair of Lucchese elephant hide cowboy boots with rubber soles that I ve worn for the last 30 years.
Ride Like Your Life Depends On It
Certified Smith Systems Instructor

Offline xcore

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 09:59:28 pm »
SiDi Adventure Gore-Tex is my choice. You can still find them on sale since they made Adventure 2. Frankly, I could not understand how Adv2 are so many dollars better compared to old boots, take a look on revzilla if interested in video comparison.

Bought them in 2012, made about 50K km in Europe and ~5K miles so far in US. Waterproof in any conditions. You'll probably need heated insoles for riding in the cold for a while (<30-32F). Just replaced the soles this summer - old ones became too slippy, probably accumulated some oil/diesel from the roads.

Only one con for me: too hot for 80F++.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 11:55:56 pm »
SiDi Adventure Gore-Tex is my choice.

Only one con for me: too hot for 80F++.

I agree, and I have a cheaper pair of vented Firstgear Mesh Hi Boots for hot-hot riding.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-mesh-hi-boots

I also have a much more serious pair of SIDI Vertigo Corsa Air boots that I break out when I'm "acting" like a sportbike rider.  :motonoises:

I literally have three full sets of gear for most occasions.  Right tool for the job....

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 11:12:18 am »
Im still digging my Forma Cape Horns.

https://www.formabootsusa.com/collections/road-boots/products/forma-cape-horn-motorcycle-boots

Been riding the FOrma Adventure for 3 years now. Wider fit than most and now comes in a shorter height.
https://youtu.be/kZ4PE89u4zM

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 12:55:19 pm »
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-tour-rain-boots

I went with the SIDI tour rain boots, I only have about 8000 miles with them so far but love them. I wear them everyday for commuting but have to change them out for steel toes when I get to work, they are very comfortable and actually seem to put my feet in a better riding position.

Yes very water proof, I ride in all weather and have been through very heavy rain down here in Mississippi. I did a lot of walking around in them when I went up to Niagara Falls and here at home when I am out and about, I think they are like a regular boot for comfort. I always wear boots though, I do have a pair of shoes but have worn them maybe 4 times this year, so I am a boot guy anyway.

I think these Sidi boots will hold up very well if they continue to wear like they are, overall a very good fit and finish and they perform exactly as advertised.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 07:49:42 pm »
I wear Danner Fort Lewis boots. They are Berry compliant(can be worn on active duty), USA made 10' tall leather, Goretex lined with 200 gram Thinsulate insulation. You can hike for days in them and have the same style of sole and heel as most adventure boots. I put tongue protectors from the Rainforest model which adds to the shin protection.  Danner boots can also be re-crafted at the factory instead of buying new ones. I have some CE rated riding boots but I have only worn them on one trip because the Danner's are way more comfortable. :great:
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1983 Suzuki GS750ED-The Project

Offline ZXtasy

• Mini Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 01:20:57 am »
Danner makes some damn fine footwear, many of my LEO riding friends use them in the line of duty. I came very close to getting them over my last Sidis.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline ZXtasy

• Mini Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 01:30:14 am »
Disregard that last, though Danner is good, the M/C guys wear a lot of Dehner boots.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.