Author Topic: What to wear under Motoport Mesh Pants??  (Read 861 times)

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What to wear under Motoport Mesh Pants??
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 03:50:05 am »
Can't go wrong with LD Comfort tights or riding shorts.  May be expensive but well worth it and a US company.

I ordered a pair of the LD Comfort tights as well as a pair of the CycleGear heatouts to check them out against the Texas heat this summer.  No doubt they will both work, but wanted to see how each would wear against the Motoport kevlar mesh. :beerchug:

09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 12:25:11 am »
I haven't had a chance to ride since I bought mine.

Post up when you get 'em tested.  I'll do likewise.

Kinda curious.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 01:18:20 am »
Cycle gear heat-outs, 2 sets, also bought in the fall on sale for $10. ;D
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Online Daboo

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 03:26:49 pm »
I was going to say something dumb like, wear underwear underneath...  But then a more practical answer came to mind.  Have you thought of the REI convertible pants?  They are lightweight and dry quickly if they get wet.  The bottom half of the leg unzips if you want to have shorts on.  And the way they designed the lower half, you don't have to take off your boots to remove them.

Chris
Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 03:28:02 pm »
Can't go wrong with LD Comfort tights or riding shorts.  May be expensive but well worth it and a US company.

I ordered a pair of the LD Comfort tights as well as a pair of the CycleGear heatouts to check them out against the Texas heat this summer.  No doubt they will both work, but wanted to see how each would wear against the Motoport kevlar mesh. :beerchug:

I guess I am a bit confused as to what people are feeling. I have stretch on the rear and kevlar mesh in the front. I don't feel any of the mesh with the material on the inside and the armour in place , I wear basketball length shorts and knee high UnderArmour All Sport socks with Forma Adventure boots. Where is it you are feeling anything? The fabric they use between the Armour and my skin is soft.

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 09:15:38 pm »
I was going to say something dumb like, wear underwear underneath...  But then a more practical answer came to mind.  Have you thought of the REI convertible pants?  They are lightweight and dry quickly if they get wet.  The bottom half of the leg unzips if you want to have shorts on.  And the way they designed the lower half, you don't have to take off your boots to remove them.

Chris

I have three pair of what I  call "hiking pants" (like the REI convertible pants) that I  wear for this purpose. Sierra Trading Post  is a good online price alternative  to REI. I wear HeatOuts under those. I'm currently looking for some thin, over the calf wicking socks. I have thicker wicking boot socks from BassPro (Red Head brand) for the summer.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #31 on: Today at 12:33:11 pm »
To answer Freebird's question:  I simply don't like the feeling of the inner liner on my motorports sticking to me in hot weather, particularly when i can feel the sweat dripping down my legs.  There are certain positions I move my legs into, that I can feel that kevlar poking through the mesh liner, and it's not pleasant.

To answer the question about the Convertible pants: too thick, for me, anyway.  But I see the practicality of the prospect.  just not for me.  I don't like layering, especially in summer.
To be very honest, I hate the heat, and I won't ride above 90deg if I can help it.

Why you guys keep scheduling the nationals in the DEAD of summer, is a complete Mystery to me, but I'm just one guy, who is admittedly not a fan of the hotter temps.
I prefer to ride in the winter, or at least when it's colder.  My policy is that i can ALWAYS add more clothes underneath, but i can only take OFF so many.  :truce:

WITH THAT ALL SAID:  CycleGar HeatOuts

Thumbs UP!  Cheap, comfortable, and definitely shed more heat than they keep in.
To be fair - i only got as high as 90 degf on my ride last weekend, but I never got any hotter than I would have been without the pants on.  They seem to have a nice ability to provide an auxillary evaporative effect on the lower body, and for me -- without the skin to skin contact with the liner of my Motoport Kevlar pants.

I even hit temps as low as 60 at elevation (5500 feet) with rain, and these liners didn't make me colder, when they got wet.

Good Recommend Ron!  :great:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:01:45 pm »
I used to have mesh gear.Now I know better and will never ever wear mesh again.
 LD Confort  shorts under my Aerostich pants.  Nothing touching my skin as the knee pads keep the material off my legs. Slight venting from the bottom gives me a nice breeze all the way up and out the slightly unzippered sides. Even the privates get a nice cool breeze. Plus I am always wearing rain gear all the time- and summer gear  and winter gear  and fall gear--- I think you get it.  One good shell is all you need for all seasons and all weather.
Mesh is just way too hot and dehydrates you quickly. Might as well sit in front of a bast furnace if you like  hot air on your skin. Proper venting is the key. Call LD Comfort and they will explain it very  well. Much better than reading my post.  I called them and the advice is free.  They saved my @ss  when I rode cross country in 120 degree heat. 
« Last Edit: Today at 01:09:24 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #33 on: Today at 01:47:07 pm »
:iagree: with the comments about the Cycle Gear Heat Outs.  I bought two pair (to rotate) at about $20 each and wore them under my Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh pants.  Even in the Texas heat, I was fine during my early morning rides.  My legs didn't get clammy like when wearing sweat soaked cotton and there were no snags or wear spots caused by the pants.  I wore them in temps from the 70's to the upper 90's.  These were a real bargain compared to the equally impressive LD Comfort tights (about $65), which I wore on the commute to the Rally (~275 miles). 

I figure that the mesh really helped the evaporation process and kept me dry considering the humidity this time was not bad.  Both brands were a winner....but at the low Cycle Gear Heat Outs price point..I say they come out on top.

I'm riding the Alps II Rolling Rally in July and will be updating this if things change.  Not sure if I'll be wearing the Motoport Mesh or the Motoport Stretch, though.
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.