Author Topic: A new flash for 2015-2018... any interest?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: A new flash for 2015-2018... any interest?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 02:38:06 pm »
  There's different aspects of performance. Good fuel economy when not trying to use power, as in cruising, is certainly a type of performance. When on power, you're on my fueling. Steve

...The ultimate effect would be very close either way. Steve

I like performance riding and I'm not concerned about fuel economy, primarily.
I ride mountain, twisty roads constantly and I appreciate your MR Flash, especially the "decel".

Your initial post asks if there's any interest. I'm interested but I can't decide if it's worth the down-time.

It appears, from your words, that reflashing to utilize o2 sensors will add performance value with regard to fuel economy only.

True?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:22:42 pm by JDSCO »
"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Mike Tyson

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 03:18:30 pm »
  There's different aspects of performance. Good fuel economy when not trying to use power, as in cruising, is certainly a type of performance. When on power, you're on my fueling. Steve

I ride mountain, twisty roads constantly and I appreciate your MR Flash, especially the "decel".

It appears, from your words, that reflashing to utilize o2 sensors will add performance value with regard to fuel economy only.

True?

that would be a fair statement. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 08:55:35 pm »

True?

that would be a fair statement. Steve
This pretty much clarifies the o2 question for me as I am not concerned with fuel economy either. I plan on upgrading to MR before summer.

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 09:41:46 pm »
Rode the bike today still think it's spectacular! For the NW guys that are attending the Bun Cooler my bike will be there.

I will be at the Bun Cooler also, and have a 2016 stock bike.  Would be interesting to have this opportunity to make a direct comparison with the only difference being the flash.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 09:50:02 pm »
Rode the bike today still think it's spectacular! For the NW guys that are attending the Bun Cooler my bike will be there.

I will be at the Bun Cooler also, and have a 2016 stock bike.  Would be interesting to have this opportunity to make a direct comparison with the only difference being the flash.

Would you like to meet up and make the trip together? I have invited a friend to come along on his FJR but he hasn't made up his mind yet. Don't really want to make the ride by myself but it is looking like I may. I plan on leaving early morning on the 18th.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline DanZX14

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 05:05:36 pm »
Steve,
Please correct me if I am wrong but C-14 2015 and up have 2 maps? Normal and Eco
Differences between the two is limited to a/f ratio only?

When you flash the ECU, you override the normal map only?
Then after reading countless of re-flash post it seems useless to ever switch back to Eco mode anymore.  Since the flash no matter which one you choose from Steve seems to have better fuel economy right?

And finally, getting the new flash with O2 sensor enabled;
If I understand, the flash as like a new set of instructions that come on and off depending on how much you open the throttle?
Like 0 to 10% O2 sensor will work with the flash and 11% and up O2 sensor will stop working?

Performance wise you don't predict any loss of power at any rpm?
mpg wise should or will be better with the O2 sensor working than just the Mt R flash without O2 enabled?

Thanks

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 07:27:46 pm »
There's lots of difference between power and eco to make them what they are, but after my flash you get all the power  / smoothness / throttle control on the default (power ) map, to the point that unless you're specifically droning the highway for hundreds of miles, there would be no gain to even use ECO anymore.

As far as 02 enabled or disabled... My mapping has different a/f ratios depending on what you're doing with the bike. IE, cruising vs power doesn't need the same a/f ratio.  Basically the same light throttle a/f ratios are achieved either by my mapping, or with the o2 sensors enabled. Since the ecu has the 02 sensors, why not use them for real world fuel correction. Remember, this is for light throttle operation, not when you're calling for power, in that case my fueling takes over.

I hope this answers your Q's. Steve

C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2018, 12:12:14 am »
Rode it to work today and put some more miles on it Steve  :) it is hard to evaluate as I am still too gitty about how much fun it is to ride now. It's much faster and much easier to control.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline jmozg1400

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12700
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:50 pm »
I hate to rain on the parade here, but I'm only getting 35mpg on the mountain flash.  Performance is good.  70 degrees today in Ohio on 93octane.  In November when I first got it I was getting 35mph then. I gave it the benefit of the doubt because of the coolness in the air. Put 200+ miles on it.  I put the bike away for the winter, then rode it twice this month and both times 35mpg.  I thought people were getting 45mpg or there about.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:00:30 pm by jmozg1400 »
2016 Kaw C14
2008 Kaw C14
1980 Honda CB650

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 11:02:28 pm »
I hate to rain on the parade here, but I'm only getting 35mph on the mountain flash.  Performance is good.  70 degrees today in Ohio on 93octane.  In November when I first got it I was getting 35mph then. I gave it the benefit of the doubt because of the coolness in the air. Put 200+ miles on it.  I put the bike away for the winter, then rode it twice this month and both times 35mph.  I thought people were getting 45mph or there about.

Bummer dude, my '08 could easily do 158 mph... ever since I bought it...
Sell the bike.. something is wrong...
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Just kidding, clear the cashed MPG memory in the computer, by pushing and holding the buttons as explained inyour owner handbook..
Then come back and tell us what the MPG actually is.. :motonoises:

From a fellow Ohio owner by the way... :beerchug: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline jmozg1400

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12700
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 12:49:33 am »
I hate to rain on the parade here, but I'm only getting 35mph on the mountain flash.  Performance is good.  70 degrees today in Ohio on 93octane.  In November when I first got it I was getting 35mph then. I gave it the benefit of the doubt because of the coolness in the air. Put 200+ miles on it.  I put the bike away for the winter, then rode it twice this month and both times 35mph.  I thought people were getting 45mph or there about.

Just kidding, clear the cashed MPG memory in the computer, by pushing and holding the buttons as explained inyour owner handbook..

I have a 2016 with 3700 miles on it.  It's fine. My last one was an '08.  How are you liking that heat blasting on your legs LMFAO!
2016 Kaw C14
2008 Kaw C14
1980 Honda CB650

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 09:00:23 pm »

I have a 2016 with 3700 miles on it.  It's fine. My last one was an '08.  How are you liking that heat blasting on your legs LMFAO!

I wear high topped riding boots, and an Aerostich, never had an issue of complaint with heat...on my legs.

Iirc, Steve introduced the M/R flash in December... and didn't really send any out before mid month... so I'm confused about you saying you had it in November and only got 35mpg....hmmm by the time those flashes were sent out, It was a foot deep in snow here, in OHIO, and my bike was deep in the garage.
As for your poor mileage figures, you are the first person here I've seen that has reported this issue, so I hope you get it straightened out, as it is not something "common". With well over 500 happy customers, so far, there has to be some issue left as a mystery.
Ride safe.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:12:30 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...