Author Topic: 2nd Annual Sport-touring School  (Read 668 times)

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
2nd Annual Sport-touring School
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:23:24 am »
2nd Annual Concours Owners Group Sport-touring School

JenningsGP, Jennings, FL on February 24th 2018. This annual event is designed to be educational and fun. The training is individual enough that newer riders can learn new skills, while seasoned riders capitalize upon their existing skill-sets.

This track was designed with large safe runoffs. Void of cars, intersections, trees and guardrails you will be able to implement new concepts from the classroom with the safety of a purpose built beginners track. You will be coached on the track where you will practice the theories taught in the classroom. This format enables practicing new concepts like trail braking, late apex cornering, and body positioning. These are the theories books are written about.

What this is: An advanced rider training course for those looking to learn more than public roadways can safely permit.

What this is not: Track/Racing School. While this does take place at a beginner’s racetrack, this is not race school and racing will not take place at this event.  :truce:

Passing in Novice Group will only be permitted ‘on the outside’ in designated areas after a few sessions have taken place. The purpose in passing is to allow each rider to ride his own ride, not to compete with others. You have to slow down if you want to practice new concepts and make new skills. Skill comes first, speed comes later. Hence, you have to slow down if you want to learn to be fast. You must learn to walk before you run.

Who should attend: If you have more fun in the turns than you do on the straights….If you get a thrill out of carving the corners….If you get that Zen feeling when you’ve mastered your favorite road… If you get excited by cornering with precisely anticipated brake use….or if you have ever scared yourself with brake use mid corner... Then this event is for you.

There will be three designated groups. Novice is for those who missed out on this event in ‘17. Intermediate is for those seasoned track guys (you know who you are), and there is an Expert group. Lets just say the latter need no help and will be passing each other anywhere there is an inch of tarmac, or grass. We know who you are too  :-\ There will be rider coaches in Novice and Intermediate. They are there to help you and love what they do. They are all seasoned and have mastered the concepts you will be practicing in this controlled and welcoming environment.

We have been approved for a discounted rate of….wait for it….$132.50/rider for the first 10 COG'gers who sign up. :) Yes, that’s cheaper than a regular track day, and cheaper than last year. I just can’t stop saying WOW. After the first 10, the price will be $150/rider.

Requirements: Sign-ups are here on the COG calendar.

It will be assumed you are in novice group unless you speak with me (Doug Re) personally. Trust me there’s no shame in being in Novice. You will get the most help here and no questions are considered stupid. This is where we all start.

Gear: Full-face helmets are mandatory. Modular are not permitted. Leather suits/gloves/boots are available the day-of at the Track Shop for $60/$10/$20. There will be plenty of gear in every size for us the day of the event. Last year Carlyson and Rico were able to help out with extra suits. I too, have an extra for someone this year.

Bike: Your tires should be 75% new. All glass and lights will be covered with blue painters tape (available at Home Depot/Lowes/Amazon/Ebay) and there must be no leaks. You can bring whatever bike you want. A C14 or a C10 makes the best trainer if that’s your usual ride. Something with poor ground clearance however does not.

Camping/Lodging:

Camping for the weekend is included with your gate price of only $10 payable when you get there. Not breaking the bank here…. We plan to have a modest fire  :campfire: in the evenings. What better than camping with a fire with your bike and friends at the track you’re riding?  :beerchug:The track gates lock each night at 9:45pm sharp. If you get there at 9:46 you will be delighted by the Jennings discounted rate at Days Inn, Lake Park, GA just 5 exits away. RV’ers will have hookups on the great lawn and there are indoor bathrooms/showers that are open 24 hrs.

Other good stuff:

There will be a professional photographer at the track who will have track photos of you available for purchase at the end of the day. We also have food concessions for breakfast and lunch available and Dennis makes a great burger.  :103: His prices are reasonable. You may also bring your own snacks/meals/BBQ/portable kitchen (Roman). 1 gallon of drinking water/rider/day is recommended.

If you missed out on the past COG Sport-touring school event you can check out the YouTube video of it here:
https://youtu.be/bTFaPLeTyY4
  In our usual fashion the comradery is as much the event as the event itself.

Arrival:  You should get to the track Friday evening, Feb 23 early enough to set up your bike/pit/camping area. Riders meeting is Saturday morning Feb 24th at 8:30am. First group will be in class at 9am, followed by track time. Each hour will consist of a 20 minute debriefing in pit row, followed by 20 minutes in class, then 20 minutes on track. You will have 7 debriefings, 7 class sessions, and 7 track sessions. Trust me, you will get a workout mentally and physically. Come with a clear head and be prepared to be enlightened.

Dinner on Saturday: On your own, but a group usually goes to Rodeo Mexican Restaurant at Exit 5, Lake Park, FL Saturday evening. Their prices are low and the food is excellent, especially after a long track day.

Location: Jennings GP 4960 NW Co Rd 152, Jennings, FL 32053 (Last exit in North FL )

If you ‘go where you look’ and and ‘turning your head turns the bike,’ imagine what your shoulders and hips can do…  ;)

Links:
Track: www.JenningsGP.com
Rodeo Restaurant: https://goo.gl/maps/F4sa4UNt5qj
Video of first COG Sport-touring school:
https://youtu.be/bTFaPLeTyY4
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden

Don't be a spectator in life. Be a participant...

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: 2nd Annual Sport-touring School
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:08:15 am »
Great job Doug!
2014 C-14

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:22:23 am »
 :iagree: :PDT_Armataz_01_37: :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I'm in!
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:38:28 pm »
Not sure I can make it, but dang sure interested!!!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:56:52 pm »
You're retired. Come on down.... Take I-10 to I-75, TR, follow the directions.  When you start on I=10, your GPS will say "Next turn, 900 miles..)   ;)
2014 C-14

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 04:14:30 pm »
The problem is I have a Big bend ride planned.
But, I'm not absolutely locked in.  <grin>
Fergot to mention, I Also have cataract surgery planned between Jan and Feb.
Talked to the Dr. yesterday about the event chances.  Might be Possible!

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:00:27 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:24:56 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

I was reading about that area last week. I'd like to do that sometime.
2014 C-14

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 04:25:04 pm »
This is something I need to do.  I will put it on my calendar and will know more in January.  Who the hell knows what bike I will be riding by then   :D

Right now it is a 2013 Triumph Speed Triple, but I hope by then it will be a 2013 Moto Guzzi Griso   :great:
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 Speed Triple (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 04:26:12 pm »
This is something I need to do.  I will put it on my calendar and will know more in January.  Who the hell knows what bike I will be riding by then   :D

Right now it is a 2013 Triumph Speed Triple, but I hope by then it will be a 2013 Moto Guzzi Griso   :great:
Maybe a Burgman?  I'll bet you'd smoke the course on that and it'd make a great photo op...
2014 C-14

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 04:34:24 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

By Texas standards, Big Bend is a short ride to consider after next years National. {hint hint}

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

By Texas standards, Big Bend is a short ride to consider after next years National. {hint hint}

Ride safe, Ted
With all due respect, no way would I take a motorcycle trip to Big Bend in June. Early May would be the latest. I was there in mid April, just before Cliff's and it was already getting into the 90's. Very nice place to visit, though. Spent a week there.

Ron, save it for a spring or fall trip after retirement.

Hi Ted.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Rico

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12496
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:13:22 pm »
I'm in....95% chance riding, 5% chance spectating. Now I have to build my ninja 250!
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 10:01:40 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

Ride safe, Ted
With all due respect, no way would I take a motorcycle trip to Big Bend in June. Early May would be the latest. I was there in mid April, just before Cliff's and it was already getting into the 90's. Very nice place to visit, though. Spent a week there.

Ron, save it for a spring or fall trip after retirement.

Hi Ted.

My thought exactly.  ;D
2014 C-14

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • COG#: 9547
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:04:07 pm »
I really gotta try & make this!

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 10:36:39 pm »
I really gotta try & make this!

Cliff   :beerchug:

Dang Cliff. I'm tempted to come to see if you can get any smoother, dude.  :great:
2014 C-14

Offline funsize

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 9297A
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 02:03:49 am »
I'm having foot surgery tomorrow and I'll be out of commission for 6-8 weeks.  I'm hoping the doctor will give me the green light.

Irene

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 11:04:02 am »
I'm having foot surgery tomorrow and I'll be out of commission for 6-8 weeks.  I'm hoping the doctor will give me the green light.

Irene
Good luck and heal fast. Gonna get some quilting done?
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Bill

• Mini Bike
  • RUBY 2012
  • COG#: 10540
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 11:09:54 am »
Good job Doug, I signed up for this last year but had medical issues that kept me away from it and other outings most of the summer. Now that I am back I will put it on my calendar for this year.

Bill

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 02:33:24 am »
Thanks Bill. I hope you can make it. What do you hope to learn/practice at this event? What do all you all hope to get out of this? (serious inquiry so we can help everyone get maximum benefit)

You'all might be delighted to hear this year we will be welcoming our friends from BMW of North East Florida to join us. You know, those cool guys we party with at the Coldest Rally at Camp Blanding in January? Their club used to do this same event every year and many of them have expressed an interest in doing this again. So feel free to share this event with anyone there that you know. The leadership of BMW of NEF has agreed to spread the word about our event and are discussing publishing this event in their Shop Rag.  :)
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden

Don't be a spectator in life. Be a participant...

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:17:57 am »
I want to learn how to be smoother in the curves.  Learn how to choose the correct apex, when to brake and when to power out.  Everything I do now is self taught  ::) and I am not the best teacher.  I followed you down Blood Mountain a year or two ago, but only for a little while  ;D and could tell you were a much smoother and confident rider.  Learning on the streets isn't the way to learn, especially with myself as the teacher.

I am looking forward to this, not so I can be faster when I ride the twisties, but so I can be a safer more confident rider.  :great:
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 Speed Triple (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Always Young

• Bicycle
  • Life is attitude, be positive..........
  • COG#: 9893
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 11:46:53 am »
Doug, thanks for setting this up again. I missed last years event as I was out of the country. I have a new ride now, Spyder F3 Ltd (have my COG sticker on the windshield)  :-\ and would love to ride this on the track but I know this is a bike only event so I would be happy to just help out in the pits and enjoy everyone's company for the weekend. Do you know what the price would be to just camp for the weekend without the class?

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:54 pm »
I'm like COGnosticator.  {Don't tell anyone I sed that}  :nananana:
 I want to learn how to be smoother in the curves.

In my case I prefer to ride more leisurely. [ in a higher gear, using less brake, and maintaining a more constant speed}
     {I think this is more like riding "the Pace"}

Will the instructor teach this type of riding, or is the instruction aimed more at how to get thru the curve quickly?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 04:47:32 pm »
I'm like COGnosticator.  {Don't tell anyone I sed that}  :nananana:
 I want to learn how to be smoother in the curves.

In my case I prefer to ride more leisurely. [ in a higher gear, using less brake, and maintaining a more constant speed}
     {I think this is more like riding "the Pace"}

Will the instructor teach this type of riding, or is the instruction aimed more at how to get thru the curve quickly?

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, to paraphrase something SiSF once said, "As a sport-touring rider, I'm a good editor."  I'm too old and too enamored of my skeleton to want to turn into a peg dragger, and for me "spirited" riding is leisurely by the standards of many in the club. For example, I was on the Dragon last August moving along well — or so I thought — when one of the local young guns came flying by going at least twice as fast. I was humbled, but not deterred from continuing to plod along riding my own ride.

What we learned last year was how to approach a curve (or a series of curves such as the 3-4-5-6 complex at Jennings) and determine the best way to ride through it: find the best apex, ride through it outside-inside or inside-outside, that sort of thing. A lot of this is common sense, and some of it is learning how to think ahead of the bike more. Whether your goals are to get through the curve quickly or smoothly, the same techniques seem to apply (Professor Re can confirm or refute my hypothesis).

I know you'd get something out of this to apply to your riding. Even if you're not going to run around the track with your hair on fire, the experience will help. Heck, Doug's "master class" track walk is worth the price of admission, and if it's like the last one it's also pretty entertaining.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 04:52:36 pm »
Hmmm. I can see some real challenges for Ted. Someone is going to have to teach him how to think before anyone can teach him "how to think ahead of the bike."  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 06:53:41 pm »
! No longer available
2014 C-14