Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 03:20:27 am »
Rain bands had to dump at least a foot of rain over here.  Street flooded half way up driveway, and has since subsided a bit.  Retention pond over full, about 2 ft from friends house...  Close calls here for flooding.  Now winds sustained at about 40 mph gusts to 60.  Quite a day.....  Tonite it's gonna be wind mostly.

Good luck Steve!!!  Hope you come out of this safe and sound.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 12:18:42 pm »
Pretty much all good here so far. Still have power and all of our shingles, new roof two years ago helped as neighbors with older roofs have issues. All dry inside the house and Roadtrek. Some minor things to deal with, a couple of screens torn and a small ugly tree to cut up.

All in all, considering what could have been, we were quite fortunate.

Looks like the Spider is a go.  :great:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2017, 12:34:18 pm »
Pretty much all good here so far. Still have power and all of our shingles, new roof two years ago helped as neighbors with older roofs have issues. All dry inside the house and Roadtrek. Some minor things to deal with, a couple of screens torn and a small ugly tree to cut up.

All in all, considering what could have been, we were quite fortunate.

Looks like the Spider is a go.  :great:

:great:     :motonoises:
2014 C-14

Offline Eddie-FL

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7073
  • Membership Level: Industry Liaison
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2017, 02:09:44 pm »
We're still here! Approximately 16" of rain since Saturday midnight. Lots of wind. Don't have any damage, just lots of debris everywhere. Power was off several times but mostly on; decent job FPL!  :great:
Was up on the roof this morning checking it out. Now the cleanup begins!  :??:
Sanford, FL 
2015 Suzuki DL650XT "Grey Ghost"
1969 Triumph Bonneville 
AMA# 686667 COG# 7073   CDA# 0136

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2017, 04:13:04 pm »
Sounds like good news so far.
Glad things worked out for ya.

Keep us posted on others...
Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2017, 05:02:23 pm »
Wow guys... looks like you took the hit.
Here we've had about 9" of rain, and winds topped off about 60 MPH (I think) last night.
Minor damage to our very old fence, and lots of vegetation debris, otherwise no problem.
No power though lost it around 2:30 this morning.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2017, 05:18:35 pm »
Here we've had about 9" of rain, and winds topped off about 60 MPH (I think) last night.
Minor damage to our very old fence, and lots of vegetation debris, otherwise no problem.

Our subdivision has buried power  lines and we are only about a mile from the substation. Our electric company is a co-operative, they seem to have a better maintenance program than the big conglomerates that are more worried about short term profits or municipals that bleed the profits for politician's little pet projects.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
IBA 19221

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »
We're in the NE side of Tropical Storm Irma at the moment. We lost power for about 1/2 hour awhile ago along with internet. It's blowing from 30-40 with gusts of 50 or so at the moment. My big trees are getting a haircut and a work out. Looks like cleanup is going to be a pain, but so far, so good, with just small limbs and lots of leaves coming down. Raining like H*ll in Atlanta and west. Our power (here) comes from an EMC, too and their contractors have been cutting right of way all summer. They stay on it pretty good.
2014 C-14

Offline ZGirl

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 5995
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2017, 08:01:20 pm »

Our subdivision has buried power  lines and we are only about a mile from the substation. Our electric company is a co-operative, they seem to have a better maintenance program than the big conglomerates that are more worried about short term profits or municipals that bleed the profits for politician's little pet projects.

Our current subdivision and the property we just purchased both have underground power.  I can count on one hand the number of times we have lost power for more than a few minutes in 20+ years.  It is a more protected environment than having all of those poles, wire and transformers subject to winds, falling trees and flying debris. 

It should be the model for all new developments IMHO.
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177  2003 Candy Cardinal Red "Dances with Winds"  2004 Shiney, Yellow SV-650  "Princess Buttercup", 2009 DL650 Candy Max Orange "Diefenbaker"

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2017, 09:57:19 pm »

Our current subdivision and the property we just purchased both have underground power.  I can count on one hand the number of times we have lost power for more than a few minutes in 20+ years.  It is a more protected environment than having all of those poles, wire and transformers subject to winds, falling trees and flying debris. 

It should be the model for all new developments IMHO.

:iagree:

Our subdivision has buried lines too.... unfortunately, the power is fed through to us via poled lines.  Our blessing is
a Fire Department, 2 hospitals and medical park are all within a few miles, so our power was out for 8-9 hours,
with a whole bunch of flickers during the storm.  Water was just restored, with 48 hour boil warning.

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2017, 01:37:41 pm »
WHEW! that was a crazy week!

I prepped like mad from weds til we left saturday at 7pm. Lots to do because it's home and business, and it all matters. Piles of work done for living in the aftermath of the storm... BTDT. We went to a friends house 100 miles north in Chiefland, near our property. They have a new concrete block home but they're older and disabled. They had done zero prepping, which was short sighted. I spent all day Sunday with their grandkids getting the yard picked up, running water, and getting an ancient generator to run. My wife did the cooking and all was good until monday morning around 3AM when the electricity went off. We were just on the west side of the eye, but it had greatly dissipated by that point.

Monday morning we went to our property, and were greeted by 2 huge laurel oaks  blocking across the driveway, and they broke another tree when they landed on it. there were about 12 BIG trees down across the property, but mostly in the wooded part, so not a big deal. I think a tornado ran through.

Jen and I left there monday at 4pm, the generator was gassed and running, fridge/ freezer /. a kitchen light and coffee pot running, over 125 gal of water for flushing toilets and personal hygiene available.

Leaving at that time was pretty iffy, we waited so late to go there because I was waiting for traffic to thin, and wanted to get home before the millions of evacuees started hitting the roads. I knew we were going to be close on fuel in the truck, and there were no gas stations open for the entire trip home. There was scattered damage, but nothing like we thought we'd see. Most was concentrated in areas, big trees down wiping out electric lines. Stll not anything like we expected.

Upon arrival at home were were greeted by NO apparent damage!! I was really surprised... I was kind of expecting to see my huge live oak laying on the house, but it was as we left it. I need to go out for a more comprehensive inspection, but I really think there isn't any of any consequence. Of course there was no electricity, so I got the generator up and running, Jen cooked burgers and corn on the grill outside, and we were getting cleaned up and ready for bed when the power came back on! So for us, the reality of the storm was all the prepping and now the unprepping, which I'm happy to do.

Sad to hear Paulie's cars were damaged, and I'm hoping others post up so we know how they fared. Glad to know more importantly that everyone, so far, is OK.

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2017, 02:04:16 pm »
 :great:  Good to hear that all are okay and damage was minimal.  Clean living is paying off, eh?  :)
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2017, 02:19:58 pm »
My house made it through with no damage. The dead fronds in the palm trees got removed and saved me the cost of having a tree company come out and do that later this year. Amazingly, we didn't lose power except for a couple of short flickers.

Definitely counting my blessings on this one. Good prep and learning experience for next time.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »
Severe damage here in the Charlotte NC area!   :)) :)) :))

(just joking to lighten the mood...no flame necessary!)

North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2017, 04:47:06 pm »
Sport Rider/ Dave; I guess NC must have really weak cement?
   It appears that the heavy twig,  cracked your driveway!!    ;)

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:03:39 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2017, 12:48:17 am »
Steve,
Really glad to hear you made out OK. Sorry about your cracked driveway.

Steve,
Really glad and relieved since it looked like you were going to be right in the worst of it. You had a heck of a busy weekend, and I'm sure there was lots of appreciation.
We over prepped as well, but better safe than sorry.
Corn on the grill eh? Or neighbor back in Indiana used to make that often; although I'm not crazy about corn, I do miss that.
We're still waiting for power to be restored, but keeping fridge running with friend's generator after the float in ours developed numerous pin holes... No more floating.
Still thankful, very thankful!

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2017, 10:49:07 am »
Things are good for us here in Jax

Lots of wind damage, no flooding for us, but other areas not so lucky.

We never lost power, but I know many have.

Jorge, you guys still without power?
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Online Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2017, 12:44:06 pm »
Really happy to hear everyone so far has fared well, thank God...
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2017, 01:44:04 pm »
Made it with no damage, Lost power for 15-20 hours. Lots of debris & 1 med sized tree down. I'm not complaining  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2017, 12:53:02 am »
Tom,
As of Wednesday 10 PM we are still without power.
Or neighbor told Irene that the substation that serves our neighborhood was under 6 feet of water... If true, it might be a while. :-(

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2017, 02:00:27 am »
Tom,
As of Wednesday 10 PM we are still without power.
Or neighbor told Irene that the substation that serves our neighborhood was under 6 feet of water... If true, it might be a while. :-(
That does suck.

On TDY in Meridian MS enroute to the Spider
IBA 19221

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10583
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2017, 09:02:30 pm »
 Alan in Ft Lauderdale suburbs.  Had a 20'+ mango tree come down and one avocado the same size hit the ground. Both fell right between the neighbors houses and just missed their homes. WOW THAT WAS CLOSE!    Power went out Sat afternoon about 3:30 and stayed out till yesterday (Thursday 9/14)till about 11:00 PM.  It took me 4 days to get ready for this storm and now it will take just as long to but everything back to normal. One of my generators stopped putting out power after running for 4 hrs. Gas motor worked, circuit breakers didn't trip but no 110V coming out of the outlets.??    Glad I had a back up generator just in case this kind of problem came up..      I hope everyone else came away from this one without any major issues to deal with.   Till later   ALAN in S. Fl     now where is that VODKA MARTINI :) ;)

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2017, 12:06:17 pm »
Alan.. aback-up to the back-up :great:

We did get our power back Thursday morning, so life is returning back to normal - whatever that means. I was really getting tired of wearing the headlamp in the house, but thankful I had one to wear.
In the interest of rewarding items that work as advertised... several months ago we bought a 3-AA battery powered LED lantern, bought it largely to use in our tent at RWTW; ironically, we used it the same weekend, just different circumstances.
The lantern is the Streamlight Siege AA... about $26. I bought it because I knew the Streamlight name, and we were not disappointed.
We used it MANY hours in the kitchen, in the bathroom, and on other room in the house. I'm tempted to get another one.
I hate it when things don't work as advertised, but appreciate them when they do, and when they're well thought out - this one is.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2017, 01:36:57 pm »
Glad you got power again Jorge.
Hopefully also running/fresh water and gas?

I learned one thing on the battery powered lantern.
We had 1 that was setting on the shelf, ready to go. (NOTE: Was not the same brand as yours)
We made the mistake of leaving the batteries in it..
When I actually had a need for it, the batteries had corroded and destroyed the contacts in the lantern.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2017, 02:04:26 pm »
Ted, that why all my battery powered stuff ONLY has lithium Energiser batteries. Super long life and they won't damage the contacts. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home