Author Topic: NC Riders - Request for input - Time for us to set up some sort of ride/meet.  (Read 2344 times)

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
I keep seeing the guys and gals in the other states in the SE Region setting up rides and events.  >:(

So I'm starting this thread to get some suggestions.   :)

Anyone for a beach run or a mountain run?
Anyone have a stretch of nice roads in their area that they’d like to lead a pack of Connies thru?

So make some suggestions. We need to get a few events on the calendar.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:04:47 pm by The Pope »
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
I keep seeing the guys and gals in the other states in the SE Region setting up rides and events.  >:(

It's only 486 miles each way, come on down to St Augustine on Sat.  ;)

Seriously, just pick a cool place, post up a time, and see who comes. Worse case scenario, no one else shows, you get a good meal and a good ride. The first one is the scariest, no doubt. But just do it. Most of the RTE's here, now I'm talking my little "unofficial" ones, draw anywhere from 10 to 20 folks. I think the smallest turn out was maybe five(?).

Good Luck!!
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline LegendsCar95

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10194
Hi folks!

I'm brand new to COG (I joined!) - and Brand New to my Concours (see this thread I posted today:  http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,34800.0.html).

While it may take a bit for me to get "up to speed" - I absolutly would love to be a participating member:   Rides, I'm in.   Wrench days, I'm in!  Eating, I'm really in!.

LOL - just please keep me in mind and realize I might be a bit slower at first.    :)

Finally - as I posted in my first thread - IF there is anybody near Shelby, NC - I'd like to meet up and let you take my bike for a ride.    It makes a lot of noises - I'm sure due to the fairing, shaft drive, Rifle Screen, etc, etc - but - would love to hear somebody else say they're all normal.   Bike is spotless.  Previous owner was great to me.   Everything is tight on it.

Ok - well - keep me in mind for any scheduled NC/SC rides!

Al

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
since some are in the east, and some further west, what about planning routes where we could meet at Mabry Mill up on the parkway for lunch and story telling?

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
Is there anyone in the Mabry Mills area (or someone that knows this area) that could help me to make this happen?

Just to throw out something else, how about a meet at the NC Zoo? It is in the geographical center of the state and I "may" be able to get a park pass to get 8 of us in for free.

So post! Give me and others some ideas.
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
Mabry Mill has a restaurant right there, but there are a couple others at the intersection of the parkway and VA rt 58 at Meadows Of Dan.

The zoo idea would be ok with me though.  Any excuse to get together is all good.  :)

Offline Jerry

• Bicycle
  • Better than I deserve
  • COG#: 10252
I'm in for a Charlotte area periodic get together/ride with other C14 owners. I'm on the south side in Indian Land, SC.
BMW R1200RTW (White)  650 VStrom (White)  650 Burgman (White)

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
Jerry,

Sport Rider lives near the Lowes Motor Speedway.
LegendsCar95 is in Shelby NC.
I'm basicilly in Raleigh NC.

I've got a July 14th meet at the NC Zoo in the works: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,35704.0.html
I'm not sure who all will show up, but your invited.
The Pope

Offline IronButtAl

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5516
He you go all NC riders. Get behind your new NC/AAD and show some suppeot for his effort to make things happen in your area. Thanks John , for your quick start in getting something going.  There's more than 35 COG riders in the state. Get out and meet new members and maybe make new friends in your area.        Al

Offline buzz

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Pope, thanks for trying to get the NC connie crowd together.
I enjoyed meeting you and the others at Sprotriders wrench sesson.
Checking plans to see if I can get out on the 14th, looks good right now. Would be a quick ride down from High Point.

Buzz
BUZZ

USAF S.E.A. X 2
2005 Vulcan 800
2000 Blue/Black  C10
2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic
2008 Sportster
2009 HDDyna Super Glide

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
Hit the calendar link and register.  that way Pope will have a better handle on the attendance.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=169217&mo=7&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012-07-03%27%7D

Offline Jerry

• Bicycle
  • Better than I deserve
  • COG#: 10252
Thanks for the invite for the 14th. I'll see but the funerals for the Air Guard members killed fighting fires will be happening Fri thru Sunday. I spent many years flying that mission and will likely be attending their services.

I'd really like to find someone interested in riding to South Dakota to see the site before winter sets in.  Maybe August....
BMW R1200RTW (White)  650 VStrom (White)  650 Burgman (White)

Offline Uncle Vern

• Road Bike
  • CDA# 0440
  • COG#: 10851
M/C Campground in Meadows of Dan
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51:31 am »
I'm down right now, rehabbing leg and bike, but...

If ya'll get to the Mabry Mill area for a ride, I'd like to plug the Willville Motorcycle Campground. It's at the Meadows of Dan just a couple flat miles from the Parkway. I stayed there twice during a Parkway trip last summer and enjoyed it immensely. There's nice tenting grass, picnic tables with tiki torches, a nightly group campfire and optional biscuit breakfast delivered. Clean bathhouses and a coin-op apt.-size washer/dryer. There is one 2-person cabin for non-campers. Will's really cool and even helped me make an emergency footpeg!

M/C campgrounds vary in character and this one is oriented more toward the sport-tourer (but your Harley buddies are welcome too).
Life is a contest between engineers and God. Engineers keep making things more idiot-proof and God keeps making bigger idiots. ;D

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
Thanks for the invite for the 14th. I'll see but the funerals for the Air Guard members killed fighting fires will be happening Fri thru Sunday. I spent many years flying that mission and will likely be attending their services.

Please give the families my condolances.
The Pope

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
Just wanted to give everyone a little heads up on some possible rides.

One of our members is trying to work up a ride to visit covered bridges in the N.C./W.Va. area for sometime in September. Another member is working on something at the other end of the state. Around the Fort Fisher area. This would be in the October time frame.

So .... as soon as the details are worked out, I'll get them on the calendar. So stay tuned!

I'm still wanting more meets. So if you have a great hole in the wall place to get together for a RLE, let us know.

Thanks for all of the input so far. Keep it coming!
The Pope

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
Hey Pope,

Thanks for stepping up and getting interest sparked up.

One suggestion I'd offer is a lighthouse run up or down the coast?
Years ago that we had someone leading a ride like that, over the weekend,  and I think maybe stopping at a different place each night. Start out on a Friday, visit a few, bed down Friday night. Go hit a few more Saturday, then bed down at a different location.

I think it ran for about 3 years, was well attended (not a large group though, like 20-25?) then the leader had time conflicts and couldn't run it any more.

Something to think about?

Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
John,  (or anyone that wants to chime in)
here's a couple ideas for RTE's.  Lexington BBQ is always good.  There's a burger place in Salisbury that offers about 30 different kinds and is pretty good.  They are fairly central, so folks from the east or west could meet for lunch on a Saturday.

food for thought...

(pun intended)

:))