Author Topic: Re: Bourbon Trail - - - Revisited  (Read 6669 times)

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4157
  • Membership Level: Web Master
Re: Bourbon Trail - - - Revisited
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:54:18 pm »
Good Day:

After a year of all too often surprise meetings, events that often had the same date as some mc event I wanted to attend, and even a motorcycle failure, I have given some thought to bringing the Bourbon Ride back to life.  I first opted for the 3rd week of May, since this would be after the Ky. Derby and most of the tourists would be gone, but then I got more last minute surprises, more events I had to be at that Thursday and Friday.  So now I'm looking at the 4th week of May, 21st-26th.  So if any of those that expressed an interest, please post and let me know if you are still interested in participating.

Now with that out for your consideration, I've got a couple more.  If you would like to visit Mammoth Cave National Park, this can be done by starting a day earlier since it will be near where I plan to start.  (I'll start from http://www.wigwamvillage.com/, where I will spend a night before they are all gone.)  From there we would go past a few more items that might interest someone;  Lincoln's boyhood home, Lincoln's birthplace; http://www.nps.gov/abli/index.htm,   and the Kentucky Railway Museum; http://www.kyrail.org/ .  Oh, I almost forgot, since the last distillery will be near Louisville, there are a couple of more sites that may be of interest, Churchill Downs and thoroughbred racing will be going on; http://www.churchilldowns.com/, and the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory; http://www.sluggermuseum.org/.  If any of those are items you would like visit, please do let me know.

Now the last consideration, narrowing down the number of distilleries to visit.  This will give you a short list; http://www.kybourbonfestival.com/participatingBourbons.htm    Now you did notice I said the short list as there are many more that are not listed, we just need to decide on which to visit ahead of time so it can be planned for.  As for which one I definitely want to see; http://www.buffalotrace.com/ .  Once you taste it, you will understand why.  Most all of the distilleries are located within 80 miles so riding is not the main item.  I do know that other groups have camped overnight at "My Old Kentucky Home State Park Campground"  http://parks.ky.gov/parks/recreationparks/old-ky-home/default.aspx   which is an option as many distillers are nearby.  If a hotel or motel is the preferred method for overnight accommodations, let your thoughts be known and I can plan accordingly.

Now as for my motorcycle problem, I found the main problem, now working with the carbs, so once I get some time off from so many danged meetings, I expect to have it back on the road in short order. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:59:06 pm by John »
tcars
John
COG 4157, AMA 390409, ROK Charter Member
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:16:31 am »
Hi John
 ^-^
I'd say Maker's Mark & Labrot-Graham would be good stops:)  I'm kinda prejudiced about  the ride, lol.
If I'm not out of town I will definitely try to make this ride.  I haven't been up in that area riding in a while and there's so much to see.  And it's been way too long since we've shared some good bbq.  I would recommend anyone going to stop at Lincoln's birthplace.  Most of us have living rooms bigger than that cabin. 
Take care,
Bruce

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:31:05 pm »
Bruce:

Great to see you in here again.  Long time since I've seen you, still haven't met the 'better half'.   :-)     As for the distillery you mention, that is now Woodford Reserve.  Now if you can find yourself free, I do expect you to be there. 

As you know, this is my old stomping ground, just doing some of the things I didn't do when I was there.  But I do have one item in question that you may know of or about.  Coming north out of Hodgenville on 31E and just south of New Haven, there is a distillery that has changed all several times.  It used to be in operation when I was growing up, but when I was in college it closed up.  Shortly before I left Ky I saw that it had re-opened, but didn't catch the name.  I've looked at it on Google maps and it has grown in size since I was there, so I assume it is still a distillery, but cannot find any info on the name.  That might be a short stop on the next trip.
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:03:23 am »
Yeah, Woodford Reserve was the name of the bourbon they made.  I'd heard they were bought by Brown Foreman or whoever it is that owns Jack Daniels.  At any rate, their distilling pots are unique, and they used to have 'Picnic on the Porch' during the season.
As for the other place, hmmm.  Used to be one called Rose something or other.  Hmm, somehow I think that's not right.  I know for sure it's not Heaven Hill or Austin-Nichols where they make Wild Turkey.  Very Old Barton, maybe?  Might need to scare up a ride that way the weekend after the Superbowl just to see.  I'll let you know :)

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:55:57 am »
Bruce:

Well it would not be Brown Foreman, they are in Louisville.  As for it being Jack Daniels, that is a possibility as they do have a few things in common, but JD is in Tn.  Old Barton, Kentucky Gentleman, are both made at Barton, now also a different name and that is right in Bardstown.  Heaven Hill is more near Shepardsville, near the Salt River.  A few years back they had a major fire in several warehouses and the river was actually on fire.  In that fire they lost all the remaining stock of one brand I really liked, Kentucky Bonded.  It was supposed to be a 10 year bonded, but if you checked the labels, it was often 15 years or more.  One more near HH was Jim Beam, and was it you that said their tour was not one they'd do again?
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:53:02 am »
  Jim Beam is in Clermont.  When I was scouting the distilleries years ago, they didn't have tours per se- just a museum of sorts set up.  Also, and it's been a while, Wild Turkey didn't do tours on weekends.  That may have changed  in the past few years.
  I remember the fire at HH- I mistakenly thought the black on the buildings was charred from the fire.  But, some of the buildings were visibly warped from heat.
   There used to be a website for the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.  I'll look that up and see if it lists anything on 31E.<EDIT>
here's the link-interesting that the maps section has bike routes
http://www.kybourbontrail.com/
Four Roses is the one I was thinking of.  Bufalo Trace crossed my mind but it is in Frankfort.
Oh- I want to stay in the Wigwams too!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:00:08 am by Bruce_Reafsnider_TN »

Offline Volcantour

• Sport Tourer
  • Ride long and prosper
  • COG#: 8892
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:08:44 am »
Dates look fine to me, even though it means that I would be a short-timer by arriving on Wednesday. (Tuesday night Board meeting that I chair).  The kybourbontrail website has some neat routes laid out.
TCARS, y'all

COG #8892  CDA #0309  IBA #45302
1999 Concours, 2017 DL650 XT
SE AAD

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:48:50 am »
Bruce:     This is the link I like; http://kybourbontrail.com/index.php/guide/    everything is within 73 miles.    bgof     As for Wigwam Village, that is within 20 miles of where I was born and raised, but never even stepped foot on the place.  Figure it is time since there are only two left.  I think the other one is out west.

Tom:     As of yet I have not set the date, waiting to see what distilleries and other sites to visit, plan to set start date to get it all done and end on the Sat.  As it stands right now, we could start on Wed, use Thur., Fri., and Sat. to visit distilleries.  I figure two a day, maybe three at best.  Only thing is, once you have been on one tour, most all the others will have a lot in common as far as how it is made.  The amazing part, how different they taste, but give the same result.    bgof
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:37:57 am by John »
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:01:23 pm »
Well, I had expected a few more to express an interest in this event, but since that has not happened, I'm going to ask one more time before I nail a date, any input from anyone interested, now is the time.  As for a date, I'm thinking May 23, 2012 at Wigwam Village for the start.  The next day will be a ride to Bardstown, going past both Lincoln sites and the train museum.  If any of those get your attention, do let me know.  If not, then we will ride on into Bardstown, hit a distillery or two, and then either find a motel or setup your tent in My Old Ky Home State Park Campground.  The next day (Fri) we will head to the Lexington and Frankfort distilleries.  Sat will be cover another distillery in the Bardstown area and then head for Louisville, the last distillery.  Thinking of that, I may need to check the times of operation for them.  That could have us starting a day earlier.  Your input is expected.    :-)   
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:18:07 pm »
Wish I could make it but, alas, I cannot. My anniversary is on May 25th and SWMBO isn't much enthralled by distilled spirits. ::)
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:14:05 pm »

Lack of time on the job(meaning: very little vacation time) prevents me from venturing down there & joinin' up with ya.  :(

When the wife & I visited the Four Roses distillery back in '05, our tour guide was this little old lady who had us in stitches with her quick wit!  Maybe it was the "sampling" she did all day long ;) At the time, they said the Ky state legislaters had just passed a law that allowed their brand to be sold internationally, but stateside was still only available in Ky....

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 02:13:44 am »
I did a bit of searching earlier today and learned a few things that somewhat blew my mind.  #1, there is not an active distillery of note in Louisville, there used to be several.  #2, Brown Foreman still has headquarters in Louisville, but no distillery.  #3. Brown Foreman owns: Jack Daniels, Early Times, Southern Comfort, Old Forester, and Woodford Reserve.

So Louisville is out of the trip, unless someone just wants to visit and see the sights: Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum, and Poppa John's Stadium.   :-)   That's OK, as there are more than enough distilleries for us to visit.
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
Re: Bourbon Trail - - - Date SET!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 12:28:16 am »
Good day:

This topic has been up long enough for people to ring in and let their preference be known but few have voiced much.  So here is my plan as of today.  On May 23, 2012, I'll start from http://www.wigwamvillage.com/ where I will spend a night while it still exists.  From there I will cut across to highway 31E and head to Bardstown.  Once there I will check into a motel, there are two across from "My Old Kentucky Home State Park".  For those wishing to camp, the "My Old Kentucky Home State Park Campground"  http://parks.ky.gov/parks/recreationparks/old-ky-home/default.aspx   campground is nearby.

As to what distilleries we will visit, that will be decided once we are all together.  The short list can be found at; http://www.kybourbonfestival.com/participatingBourbons.htm    There are many more that are not listed, so do your homework, and pick out one or two.  Most all of the distilleries are located within 80 miles so riding is not the main item.  According to what those attending want to see, it will be 2-3 days visiting distilleries and whatever else we want to see.

If you have any additional thoughts or suggestions, them let it be known.  The date; May 23-25/26, 2012.  The place, Bardstown, Ky and nearby sites.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:51:46 am by John »
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:11 am »
http://www.wigwamvillage.com/ where I will spend a night while it still exists.

Fixed the link for ya John.  Were they saying that it is scheduled to close?  The wife & I wanted to stay there a couple of yrs. ago, but it was booked & we've always wondered about the place.

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:10:17 am »
Dean:

There is no word that they are closing and there are only three of the original seven left, so I'm going to get one off my "bucket list" while both of us are still here.  Anyway, $50.00 a night for a room is a bargain compared to most else of what is available.  Yes, that is the weekday rate for May 23, 2012.

Thanks for fixing the link, I see the comma got in there with it. 
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 11:28:25 pm »

The wife & I wanted to stay there a couple of yrs. ago, but it was booked & we've always wondered about the place.

Dean:

Just to let you know, what you stated raised a flag, so I called and have already reserved a room for the 23rd. 
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 11:55:29 pm »

John,
  Like I posted 2 wks ago, I'd really like to join up w/ ya but the limited vacation time is already spoken for & I found out that others w/ more senority will be off a couple days early for the Memorial Day holiday. That's the downside to starting a new job, having to limit yourself & prioritize your vaction days...... Oh well, there's ample time available next year  >:D

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 06:05:16 am »
Dean:

That just means I, or some of the others who participate, will be able to give you a lot more info on what to visit, see, and do.  I know all too well how it is to miss something you had planned on attending.  All things in time.

For all else, it is now on the "Calendar" so give it a thought.  Hope to see you there. 
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 03:58:07 pm »
Good day:

For anyone considering this event and wishing to stay in a hotel/motel, I did a bit of checking and below is what I learned.

Old Kentucky Home Motel, 502-349-0776, 2 queen beds, $55.00 a night, phone quote
     Parkview Motel, 502-348-5983, 2 queen beds, $70.00 a night, phone quote
     Best Western Gen. Nelson, 502-348-3977, 2 queen beds, $84.00 a night, quote by Best Western website
     Old Bardstown Inn, 502-349-0776, 2 queen beds, $49.00 a night, quote by booking.com

There are a good number of other hotels/motels within 20 miles, some with even better rates, but they are usually further away from Bardstown.  If someone is interested and wants to camp, then let me know and I'll get the rates for it. 

As to how long before you commit to this, I'd think you'd want to get your room in Bardstown fairly soon as it is a vacation spot.  I've already made my reservations, and in one case, if I cancel I don't get my money back, so this is a go for sure.  I'll be at the Old Bardstown Inn, across from My Old Kentucky Home State Park.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:31:43 am by John »
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 04:25:22 pm »
Good day again:

It is only about a  month to go before this happens.  I've only got to mount two tires and fix my exhaust leak, which won't take long once I get on it.

I was checking on some things and ran into this: https://www.bourbonheritagecenter.com/tour-and-trolley-ride/    So if you have some thought of participating in this event, then please let me know your preference of that tour.  I will add that if they include two bottles of bourbon as they say, the price of one bottle is approaching the price of the tour, not to mention that you would get to see some things you will most likely not see elsewhere.
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline Bosco

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9343
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 01:07:40 am »
It looks like I would like to sign up for this. I will be coming from Ft. Thomas, KY (near Cincy). Assuming  no complications, or other last minute situations, I am in.

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 04:34:11 pm »
For those who are interested, please do register online.  The cost is right, FREE to register.   The reason is there are several decisions to be made and I want input from those who plan to attend.  Also, some of the tours have a limit on how many can be in the group and they need for this to be made a week or more in advance, so I do need to have some numbers, otherwise someone could be left out and we don't want that.

I did find that another distillery has a rather in-depth tour and have requested more details on what all is included.  Most all I know of who are attending have already made their reservations,  so one more item for you to take care of if you plan to attend.  Bardstown has other attractions and most rooms are reserved in advance.  The good news is that this will be well after the Kentucky Derby, so we won't have gigantic crowds to contend with.
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline Bosco

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9343
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 05:40:31 pm »
For those who are interested, please do register online.  The cost is right, FREE to register.   The reason is there are several decisions to be made and I want input from those who plan to attend.  Also, some of the tours have a limit on how many can be in the group and they need for this to be made a week or more in advance, so I do need to have some numbers, otherwise someone could be left out and we don't want that.

I did find that another distillery has a rather in-depth tour and have requested more details on what all is included.  Most all I know of who are attending have already made their reservations,  so one more item for you to take care of if you plan to attend.  Bardstown has other attractions and most rooms are reserved in advance.  The good news is that this will be well after the Kentucky Derby, so we won't have gigantic crowds to contend with.

This is my first one of these. Um.... how do you register.  :friends:

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:46 pm »

This is my first one of these. Um.... how do you register.  :friends:

Judson:  If you click on the "Concours Owners Group" in the upper left hand corner, it will take you tothe HOME area.  Once there, choose the MEMBER area from the menu.  Then you should get a CALENDAR of events.  Change to the month of May and on the 23rd you will see the event.  Click on it and it will take you to a page where you can select REGISTER.  If you have any problems, let me know.  Great to have a new person on board!
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:46 pm »
ATTENTION!

I've learned that two distilleries offer "behind the scenes" tours, but at an extra expense.  You have to reserve a date for these tours and there is a LIMIT of SIX people.  The two distilleries are Heaven Hill and Woodford Reserve.  I've already inquired about the one at Woodford Reserve and it is already booked up, so it is not an option there.  So before I inquire about the one at Heaven Hill, who is interested and wants to do this?  The price of the tour is $25.00 but you also get two bottles of their premium bourbon, so that may be more than the cost of the tour.  If you are interested, let me know by Monday, April 30th.  That way I will try to RESERVE a spot at the same time I call for more info.  As for the more info I want, what size of bottle?   :-)
tcars
John
SE Newsletter Editor