Author Topic: RWTW 2017 Camping Discussion: Equipment, Methods, Goodies  (Read 10156 times)

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10583
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: RWTW 2017 Camping Discussion: Equipment, Methods, Goodies
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 11:57:51 pm »
      Ram, Have you EVER camped in a tent? Some people just like MOTEL camping.   :)      Did you now that by being a member, registration is cheaper?        ;)                                     Alan in S. Fl   :rotflmao:

Offline Ram

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 12:53:08 pm »
If I can make the dinner on Thursday, we can talk tents and stuff if you want. Lots of other experienced campers on here. too.
Ron, I would like to meet the gang on thursday. Try and make it.

Ram, Have you EVER camped in a tent? Some people just like MOTEL camping.   :)      Did you now that by being a member, registration is cheaper?        ;)                                     Alan in S. Fl   :rotflmao:

I have never camped outside without a roof, let alone a tent or something similar for that matter. I like the idea of camping but the fear of unknown - bugs, bear, rain is what I am most fearful of.
When I grew up, I always used to sleep on the hard floors without any beds but now after sleeping on a memory foam, my back has been spoiled. Recently when I moved to my new place, I tried to sleep on a air mattress for 2 days that I almost couldnt sleep.
That shouldnt be a problem at camping when you have couple of shots/ cans.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti
07 Boulevard C90 - Sold, 06 Katana 600 - Sold, 06 V Star 650 - Sold, 96 Royal Enfield - Gone, 95 Yezdi Roadking - Gone

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 01:09:10 pm »
I have never camped outside without a roof, let alone a tent or something similar for that matter. I like the idea of camping but the fear of unknown - bugs, bear, rain is what I am most fearful of.
When I grew up, I always used to sleep on the hard floors without any beds but now after sleeping on a memory foam, my back has been spoiled. Recently when I moved to my new place, I tried to sleep on a air mattress for 2 days that I almost couldnt sleep.
That shouldnt be a problem at camping when you have couple of shots/ cans.

I camp at least 200 days a year, usually more, depending on trips and road time.

You don't have to worry about bears in 99% of the places you might camp, and 0% of any COG campground I've been in. The more people present, the more the chance of a wild critter intruding drops. I've camped in places where bear and raccoon were common, and just kept food out of my RTIC that had any odor and never had it in the tent, for sure. And never saw a bear though raccoons did mess with a few things over the years. I've just learned what kind of storage bins they can't mess with and so they aren't a problem either.

And you are right, after a busy day and a campfire with beverages, sleeping is usually easy to do. Even for me, with my chronic insomnia.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 04:04:39 pm »
Did one of you mention Merimac tents?
Just came across this...
Good/bad tent/price??
https://www.campmor.com/c/alps-mountaineering-meramac-4-tent

They also had a self inflating mat on the add.

Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 08:46:35 pm »
:-[Ram, From my experiences, first time campers DON'T buy high end equipment  (unless you are committed to making it a happy past time going several times a year and you have unlimited funding or family members that may use it down the road)   simply because if you don't like camping and you try to sell your now used equipment, you will be lucky to get back 50% of what you spent .  I'd be heading to WALLY WORLD  (or CRAIGSLIST) and if you really didn't like camping, they ( Wally World)  will give you a 100% refund usually w/no questions asked.  If you really like camping take back the stuff to Wally World and then go buy the longer lasting high end equipment.   You could end up spending hundreds of dollars on high end camping equipment.

;)  JR, Are you calling living in a trailer that you tow behind your Harley Trike TENT CAMPING?     That's more like MOTEL camping and the motels plumbing didn't work. I don't think your trailer has running water, but I could be wrong.    :)   :truce:   Maybe all those camping experiences took place years past before  you had the trailer, I don't know.    Lets not miss lead Ram that camping has no risk. Not just the animals & weather (I had a bear come thru a camping area that I was camping at over the hill from Two Wheels and mountain lions screaming in the night while out west,   scary)  but the other campers.       My brother in-law was murdered while camping in W. Virginia, clubed to death by some deranged camper. That guy is doing time now for a long time..         Truck on brother  and Happy Trails.   :motonoises: :motonoises:  Alan in S. Fl
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:51:16 pm by Alan_Yucius_FL »

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 10:05:31 pm »
There's a significant difference between "high end" and reasonably priced QUALITY camping gear. One can buy very good quality Eureaka, REI equipment for only a (relatively) few dollars more than the stuff available at Wal-Mart.

I've camped (backpacking, canoe camping, motorcycle camping, car camping) all over the USA  (from Idaho to the Okefenokee)and have NEVER had a run-in with wildlife or anything else. Weather is by far the greater risk. Can bad things happen? Of course. However, to imply that camping has more inherent risk is is truly misleading. A leaky tent and inadequate sleeping bag will guarantee an unpleasant, if not life-threatening, experience.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 10:07:26 pm »
I've camped most of my life and I get more afraid riding in Atlanta on a motorcycle than camping. Everything is relative.
2014 C-14

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 11:14:28 pm »
                          I agree!    There are risk in everyday life.    Just like riding in a car or flying in a plane you can have a accident but that doesn't stop me from driving or going out of the house, will not all the time.    Just more aware of my surroundings!!

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 12:50:30 am »
JR, Are you calling living in a trailer that you tow behind your Harley Trike TENT CAMPING?     That's more like MOTEL camping and the motels plumbing didn't work. I don't think your trailer has running water, but I could be wrong.    :)   :truce:   Maybe all those camping experiences took place years past before  you had the trailer, I don't know.    Lets not miss lead Ram that camping has no risk. Not just the animals & weather (I had a bear come thru a camping area that I was camping at over the hill from Two Wheels and mountain lions screaming in the night while out west,   scary)  but the other campers.       My brother in-law was murdered while camping in W. Virginia, clubed to death by some deranged camper. That guy is doing time now for a long time..     

Yes, its a bit more than tent camping, but still, only thing between me and outside is tent fabric, just like anyone else.

I'm not misleading Ram, just recounting the fact problems with wild animals, when you follow the park/forest/campground warnings (like no food in the tent, etc.) are few and far between, and I've never had a problem and camp more than anyone I know of.

I'm not worried about stuff I can't change, and if someone wants to f*** with me, they better be willing to die.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 12:56:30 am »
Did one of you mention Merimac tents?
Just came across this...
Good/bad tent/price??
https://www.campmor.com/c/alps-mountaineering-meramac-4-tent

They also had a self inflating mat on the add.

Ted

Also at Amazon, sold by Campmor

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Meramac-Person-Tent/dp/B004SKCKY2

There are 54 reviews at Amazon, most folks like it.

This would not be a bad tent for occasional use, except for the fiberglass poles. But if they replace broken ones for free like they did for my aluminum poles, it's a cheap way to get a decent tent.

BTW, I don't believe it comes in gold.  :rotflmao:

I've had this tent for going on nine years. Currently $149

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Extreme-3-Person-Tent/dp/B00BEST5RG/ref=pd_day0_468_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BEST5RG&pd_rd_r=XT99ST1ASZ6TQASXG3P9&pd_rd_w=g2i1e&pd_rd_wg=talSf&psc=1&refRID=XT99ST1ASZ6TQASXG3P9

This tent is waterproof and will take a pretty good storm. Ask SiSF. I had to replace the fly at about $34 shipped at seven years. The end "windows" self destructed from UV rays. No drama, shipped from their parts house in MO. I had an aluminum pole split at the end last year. They sent me two for free, cool for an eight year old tent. This tent is used for 4-6 weeks per year. It also has two roomy vestibules, big enough to cook in. A queen size air mattress will fit. The only negative is it's kinda tricky when raining to get in/out and minimize rain coming in the door, ya gotta be quick like a bunny.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 01:28:33 am »
+1 Amazon has lots of decent reliable tents. I really like the instant class of tents, fast and easy is good.

Offline Ram

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 01:35:42 am »
Looks like this became it's own thread. I am drinking from the firehose  :D
08 Concours 14 - Shakti
07 Boulevard C90 - Sold, 06 Katana 600 - Sold, 06 V Star 650 - Sold, 96 Royal Enfield - Gone, 95 Yezdi Roadking - Gone

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 01:37:24 am »
I am drinking from the firehose  :D

GO RAM!
GO!
GO!
GO!
GO!    :great:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 02:10:40 pm »
I can bring you walls for an EZ up style pop up tent.

Cots are all the rage these days - that's a good piece of gear to have.

:beerchug:

thanks.  I'll figure out something.  lots of people these days are going to the hammock style camping with a lean-to tarp over them.  I could just set up the cot under the pop up and leave it at that.  just a warning though, I sleep naked.   :)) :)) :))
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 02:49:33 pm »
I have a slightly less-popular opinion: buy inexpensive the first time, because you're either going to only do it once, OR you're going to figure out what you'd like to do differently. I have a 20 year old tent I bought for one trip - been used that ONE time. Glad I bought cheap.

My approach to buying inexpensive: craigslist. LOTS of people get into activities, spend a lot of money on good stuff, then change their mind and sell. Tents especially can be a great deal on craigslist.

Granted I live in CO, but I see camping gear (good stuff - Kelty, Marmot, etc) all the time for half the price of new.

Not sure I'd buy a used sleeping bag...but I don't camp anymore - too old and stiff to sleep on the ground.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 03:37:35 pm »
.but I don't camp anymore - too old and stiff to sleep on the ground.

Me too. That's why I and most others sleep on some sort of mattress/pad.  ;)

I find that the blow up mattress is just as comfy as the Simmons Beautyrest.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
IBA 19221

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 10:47:09 pm »
RAM, my first camping rally ever, was RWTW.  I got a good 'midgrade' backpacking tent (Alps Mountaineering) and a GOOD 20* backpacking sleeping bag.  My sleep pad was a Walmart self inflator for $20, same with my pillow, add a blue tarp as a tent footprint....  A large dry bag will hold all that, just strap it to the pillion.   I spent about $300 to start up, and still use that tent and sleeping bag 4 years later.  Look at camping gear sites for close outs on tents....  I got $350 tent for $120.  Hunt around, and get good bang for your buck!

Tents are 'stupid easy' to set up these days.  I'd recommend a tent with  2-3 poles (dome) and full rainfly.  Look at the floor size of the tent, and add 2 ft to your height for it's longest side.  If you're 6 ft tall get a 8 Ft long tent minimum.  IF it rains, staying dry is good, and a full rainfly will do that for you.  A 2 man tent is bare minimum for 1 person and gear.  2-3 man tent is comfy..... a 4 man is lotsa space for one, and is lovely :-). 

Motocamping is a great way to rally.  I love it now, and each trip I spoil myself with an upgrade on equipment... last one was a New tent, adding head room to my living space, not that I'm in it except to sleep....
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2017, 11:19:00 pm »
When I went to Arkansas here is my bike loaded:

and here is the set up, tent is 8 x 10 x 72" height  :great:  and the Kelty sunshade can come in handy that is next to the tent.

Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 Speed Triple (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2017, 12:51:52 am »
Sheesh Jerry... where's the kitchen sink? in the tent or under the sunshade?  :pokestick:
OK... if I were there, I'd probably want to hang out under the shade also.
Tent we use is a 3-man tent, with a 7x7 floor. It does have vestibules at both ends that help keep our stuff dry from morning dew. It's just large enough for the two of us, but it is snug. Nice is that it pack in a bag that is about 9" around, byt about 20" long, and weighs about 6 Lbs.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2017, 01:03:34 am »
I can bring you walls for an EZ up style pop up tent.

Cots are all the rage these days - that's a good piece of gear to have.

thanks.  I'll figure out something.  lots of people these days are going to the hammock style camping with a lean-to tarp over them.  I could just set up the cot under the pop up and leave it at that.  just a warning though, I sleep naked.   :)) :)) :))

Now I really need to attend :)
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline TicTac

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11256
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2017, 01:19:16 pm »
If he buys quality now, he won't spend money replacing the poor quality stuff.  It's not really that much more expensive to buy quality gear the first time.  If he doesn't like camping, he can always sell it.

"Spend the money on quality and cry once. Buy cheap gear and cry often."

I admit,,, you have a good point.

Ride safe, Ted
I was always told that I am not that rich yet to buy a cheap stuff.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2017, 02:18:54 pm »
Bought my first tent on eBay for $15 with free shipping.  Still have it, used it eight years before it starting leaking on me at the Silverdammit Anniversary Rally in Johnson City (stitches are pulling). I have better now, heavier, solid, bigger... but I miss the old, tiny, simple, cheap, up in 2 minutes, awesome tent I first bought and regret the upgrade and waste of money.

Of course I'm weird too (proven, undisputed, known fact).   :72:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2017, 03:05:16 pm »
Bought my first tent on eBay for $15 with free shipping.  Still have it, used it eight years before it starting leaking on me at the Silverdammit Anniversary Rally in Johnson City (stitches are pulling). I have better now, heavier, solid, bigger... but I miss the old, tiny, simple, cheap, up in 2 minutes, awesome tent I first bought and regret the upgrade and waste of money.

Of course I'm weird too (proven, undisputed, known fact).   :72:

It is really straightforward to seal those pulled seams, if they aren't too bad. My trailer tent has one and it leaked in a bad thunderstorm up in Illinois (headed for winter camp, waited too long).  So when the sun dried the fabric, I got the Goop out (any of them work fine, Goop this and Goop that).

Let it cure for 3 days. Never leaked again. Actually going to do the other roof seems (around the edge) too, just to reinforce the seams some.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2017, 05:06:40 pm »
Extreme 3 Alps mountaineering tent now 119 at Amazon. That's a deal on a decent tent
IBA 19221

Offline TicTac

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11256
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2017, 05:25:19 pm »
Extreme 3 Alps mountaineering tent now 119 at Amazon. That's a deal on a decent tent

+1 For ALPS Mountaineering.
Here is another one that has a good ratings  and under 7 pounds.  :motonoises:
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Aries-3-Person-Tent/dp/B00BIQKQUY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1495304077&sr=8-7&keywords=alps+mountaineering+outfitters++3