Author Topic: RWTW 2017 Camping Discussion: Equipment, Methods, Goodies  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
Re: RWTW 2017 Camping Discussion: Equipment, Methods, Goodies
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 06:37:58 pm »
Bought my first tent on eBay for $15 with free shipping.  Still have it, used it eight years before it starting leaking on me at the Silverdammit Anniversary Rally in Johnson City (stitches are pulling). I have better now, heavier, solid, bigger... but I miss the old, tiny, simple, cheap, up in 2 minutes, awesome tent I first bought and regret the upgrade and waste of money.

Of course I'm weird too (proven, undisputed, known fact).   :72:

It is really straightforward to seal those pulled seams, if they aren't too bad. My trailer tent has one and it leaked in a bad thunderstorm up in Illinois (headed for winter camp, waited too long).  So when the sun dried the fabric, I got the Goop out (any of them work fine, Goop this and Goop that).

Let it cure for 3 days. Never leaked again. Actually going to do the other roof seems (around the edge) too, just to reinforce the seams some.
I thought about sealing it up with silicone or something, but I think the stitching is really about to give up altogether. It WAS a $15 tent and is bound to not last forever.   :(  But if I could find another just like it I'd sure go for it... maybe... if I had $15... or if it wouldn't be like $45 now.  But I probably will buy another cheapo.  It was all rip-stop nylon with a sewn in reflective tarp like bottom.  Cheesy screen in the top with a little fly and screen doors with tie-overs.  Quite a deal at $15 even then. Small, but manageable for 1 person who packs light enough.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2017, 08:21:41 pm »
Rev, you're not weird... you're       special edition  :rotflmao:

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2017, 09:55:50 pm »
Extreme 3 Alps mountaineering tent now 119 at Amazon. That's a deal on a decent tent

+1 For ALPS Mountaineering.
Here is another one that has a good ratings  and under 7 pounds.  :motonoises:
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Aries-3-Person-Tent/dp/B00BIQKQUY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1495304077&sr=8-7&keywords=alps+mountaineering+outfitters++3

Roman, nice find. I may pop for that.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2017, 12:44:13 am »
Love my Alps Vertex 4, but the new Big Agnes Red Canyon 4 is a Tent-ma-hal in comparison.  Yes pricey,
even on clearance, but those Big Agnes folk know how to make a tent.   :)

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2017, 09:13:02 am »
OK, tall guys, what's your preference in a sleeping bag? I'm thinking about getting a new one and trying to cut down some on bulk, too.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2017, 11:01:17 am »
Big Agnes brand makes what seems like quality gear for bigger and taller guys. REI has good stuff but can be pricey. Campmor.com and SierraTradingPost.com are good places to get "last year's" colors at a discount. One lesson I learned the hard way is at 3:00 am and 20 degrees, a discount cheapie might make you think that spending an extra $50 would have been a much better decision.  ;)

I have a 0 degree REI mummy bag that is close to 20 years old with Hollofill that is a little bulky but compressible "enough" to put in a backpack in the Long size for winter. I'm 6'4" and it's about 3" longer than the regular. It's too hot for late spring, summer, and early fall.

I use a Slumberjack 20 degree (Long) mummy of about that same age, with Hollofil for those times. It compresses quite small. It's a cheap bag that is actually good to about 50 degrees now and needs to be replaced.

If you are tall (and you are), I'm 6'4" (76" tall), you'll want a longer bag because your feet will not stand straight up when you sleep so you'll want room for those puppies to relax, too. Most quality bags come in Regular and Long (tall) sizes. At REI, you can try a bag on for size and put the hood up to see what fits.
2014 C-14

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2017, 09:15:41 pm »
OK, tall guys, what's your preference in a sleeping bag? I'm thinking about getting a new one and trying to cut down some on bulk, too.

It depends on how you sleep really...  If you're a tosser and turner, or a kicker, a square bag is the way to go.
Mummy bags are ideal for colder weather, but down heeya in Fla., the coldest weather isn't a threat, and no matter
where you go, under 30* isn't camping weather for most.  Any way you go, you need a long bag if you're tall.  I'm just under 6'5".

I've been using a North Face Dolomite 20* Rectangle bag (***Long***) for a few years now.  This bag with a
fleece liner has kept me toasty warm in sub 30* temps....  It also gives you some more room to move around
than a mummy bag.  It does zip fully over yer heed on really cold nights, which did come in handy once.  Put it
on the 'cot' with a pad, and it's reaaallly comfy nights sleep.

https://www.rei.com/product/895333/the-north-face-dolomite-20-sleeping-bag

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2017, 10:22:33 am »
Thanks for the recommendations, Ron & Marty. Exactly the sort of experience I was hoping to tap into.

I'm not a tosser, but I am a side sleeper, so I was wondering how I'd do in a mummy bag. My current bag is a rectangular, but very old school and doesn't compress as small as I'd like. It's also rated down much cooler than what I need for Florida.

I'll look at both of the suggestions. Business takes me to California this week, so I'll have opportunity to check out REI one evening.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2017, 11:20:05 am »
Thanks for the recommendations, Ron & Marty. Exactly the sort of experience I was hoping to tap into.

I'm not a tosser, but I am a side sleeper, so I was wondering how I'd do in a mummy bag. My current bag is a rectangular, but very old school and doesn't compress as small as I'd like. It's also rated down much cooler than what I need for Florida.

I'll look at both of the suggestions. Business takes me to California this week, so I'll have opportunity to check out REI one evening.

By all means, check this bag out at Amazon. Its only $30 so it can't be any good, right. Wrong. Its part of my fast camp kit (tent cot, self-inflating pad, this bag) and has served well. Its quite warm but not so warm you can't use it in the spring and fall. In the hot weather who sleeps inside the sleeping bag anyway?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GWEVC7W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Ram

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2017, 04:52:06 pm »
Will check the bag. Thanks for the response.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti
07 Boulevard C90 - Sold, 06 Katana 600 - Sold, 06 V Star 650 - Sold, 96 Royal Enfield - Gone, 95 Yezdi Roadking - Gone

Offline mmarsh

• Tricycle
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:30 pm »
Ram
Many REI's, and other camping stores, rent tents,bags and pads and most of the motorcycle campgrounds rent tents, so you could try before you buy. This is coming into the warmest months so, if you don't want to rent a bag, you could sleep comfortably with just a fleece sleep sack or a $9 Wally World Sleeping bag. Most people are used to cushy beds so a good pad is a must
People either love or hate camping so look before you leap and spend money that your better half will make you regret.
Her is yet another link for you.
https://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html#north%20carolina
All this becomes moot at Suches in Sept. Then you will need a good cool weather bag and a well vented tent to stay warm and dry. I live just across the mountains and we get some cold temps the weekend of the Wolf.
Meanwhile you've got months to practice, good luck.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2017, 06:37:58 pm »
He's right. Something else to consider if you go to REI is to ask them when the Member Only Scratch and Dent sale is/was. If they still have it, you might find some gear marked down that someone returned after one use. It can be dicey so inspect it for condition. Some folks take advantage of their return policy to use it for a trip and return it. Cheapskates.

If you buy a less warm/expensive bag, throw a blanket in with your kit. If you get cold, wrap it around your bag. I did that at Hohenwald after underestimating the temp change that far north in April (stoopid). I went to WallyWorld and bought one of those $9 blankets (like you see on the airlines). Covered up my bag with it, threw the riding jacket over top of it on my legs, good and warm and cheap (frugal).

2014 C-14

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2017, 07:52:34 pm »
and bring a s*** load of the single pack hand warmers from Walmart.  If it gets colder than you thought it was, throw a few of those in you sleeping bag, zip it up and when you get in you will be toasty warm   :great:
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 C14 (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2017, 11:09:11 pm »
I found a better solution to keep warm.
I take my wife...  {drumroll}

(ie; She won't sleep on the stinkin' ground, and it's nice and warm in a Motel...)

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline mmarsh

• Tricycle
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2017, 11:03:11 am »
I thought about sealing it up with silicone or something, but I think the stitching is really about to give up altogether. It WAS a $15 tent and is bound to not last forever.   :(  But if I could find another just like it I'd sure go for it... maybe... if I had $15... or if it wouldn't be like $45 now.  But I probably will buy another cheapo.  It was all rip-stop nylon with a sewn in reflective tarp like bottom.  Cheesy screen in the top with a little fly and screen doors with tie-overs.  Quite a deal at $15 even then. Small, but manageable for 1 person who packs light enough.
[/quote]

Rev
I think this is the tent your thinking about...
https://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Starlite-Tent-1-Person/dp/B00AAGBXGY/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1495625589&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3AWenzel%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A2204488011
I bought one for $20 20 years ago and I sometimes still use it if I know the weather will be absolutely warm and clear. 
This thread has been fun, maybe I'll ride over for the Wolf this year... maybe I should re-up my membership too. Ummm.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2017, 03:47:58 pm »

Rev
I think this is the tent your thinking about...
https://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Starlite-Tent-1-Person/dp/B00AAGBXGY/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1495625589&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3AWenzel%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A2204488011
I bought one for $20 20 years ago and I sometimes still use it if I know the weather will be absolutely warm and clear. 
This thread has been fun, maybe I'll ride over for the Wolf this year... maybe I should re-up my membership too. Ummm.

By all means get to the RWTW ride and I personally think it's a good idea to re-up.   :)

But that ain't the same tent.  Mine is Kinda like a dome tent, but it's rectangular with about a 1'X2' opening and fly on the very top.  I looked on ebay and haven't found another quite like it.  The domes on there are all pretty square, mine is longer than wide.  It is certainly not a cold weather tent at all, but I'm a fair temperature camper anyway.  I don't camp below 20*F for a low and rarely camp below freezing.  I do have a relatively warm bag, but carry an old wool army blanket and a bed sheet for comfort.  In how weather I can open the bag (not a mummy) and use it for additional pad and just use the sheet. 
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2017, 08:11:28 pm »
"By all means get to the RWTW ride and I personally think it's a good idea to re-up.   :)

But that ain't the same tent.  Mine is Kinda like a dome tent, but it's rectangular with about a 1'X2' opening and fly on the very top.  I looked on ebay and haven't found another quite like it.  The domes on there are all pretty square, mine is longer than wide.  It is certainly not a cold weather tent at all, but I'm a fair temperature camper anyway.  I don't camp below 20*F for a low and rarely camp below freezing.  I do have a relatively warm bag, but carry an old wool army blanket and a bed sheet for comfort.  In how weather I can open the bag (not a mummy) and use it for additional pad and just use the sheet. "

Chuck, how do you  get a grown man (some of are overgrown...) through a 1'X2' opening?
2014 C-14

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2017, 09:01:55 pm »
"By all means get to the RWTW ride and I personally think it's a good idea to re-up.   :)

But that ain't the same tent.  Mine is Kinda like a dome tent, but it's rectangular with about a 1'X2' opening and fly on the very top.  I looked on ebay and haven't found another quite like it.  The domes on there are all pretty square, mine is longer than wide.  It is certainly not a cold weather tent at all, but I'm a fair temperature camper anyway.  I don't camp below 20*F for a low and rarely camp below freezing.  I do have a relatively warm bag, but carry an old wool army blanket and a bed sheet for comfort.  In how weather I can open the bag (not a mummy) and use it for additional pad and just use the sheet. "

Chuck, how do you  get a grown man (some of are overgrown...) through a 1'X2' opening?

You have to let the air out of his tires.  LOL
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2017, 09:39:18 pm »
 :rotflmao:
2014 C-14

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2017, 12:07:53 am »

how do you  get a grown man (some of are overgrown...) through a 1'X2' opening?

Carefully?  Most folks at RWTW hobble back from the fire and kinda just get what they can in the tent...   :o

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2017, 01:17:15 am »

how do you  get a grown man (some of are overgrown...) through a 1'X2' opening?

Carefully?  Most folks at RWTW hobble back from the fire and kinda just get what they can in the tent...   :o

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(‿ˠ‿)

North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »
That time of year (early Sep) in Suches is usually still pretty warm (65* or so). I, typically, sleep in a lightweight fleece bag from Coleman and have a US Army poncho liner available for additional cover is necessary. Each will roll up to about the size of a loaf of bread so packing them is simple.  Both cost around $17 each so they're pretty frugal. I use Therm-a-rest, self-inflating, air mats to sleep on.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2017, 02:30:46 pm »
There is a very slight chance I'll be able to make it to the gathering.
If (at the last minute) I find that I can make it,,, can I just come and camp?
(Will pay fees etc when I depart Houston or arrive TWO)..

Bottom line: If I can't preregister, will there be room??

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2017, 03:41:20 pm »
It's a big place, come on over...
2014 C-14

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2017, 03:24:53 am »
Been checking out new camping gear myself. Reading many reviews on 2 and 3 man tents.
Some visits to local stores, I'm finding last years tent models greatly reduced.
This may be the best time to shop for a new tent if new models have not come in yet.

I like the Eureka Midori 2, (about $150)  it's on my wish list but a bit pricey. I believe the model Sunriver 2 is last year's model and is now selling for $89.
Looks like the same exact setup, just a different name. Kinda like beer, they all taste the same to me until you go above a certain price point.

The REAL 4 season tents are for riding C10s and C14s up Everest (may not make it back once in the death zone  :(), and most 3 season tents will help you keep cool enough in the summer months. Overall, I looked for Amazon reviews where campers were bragging about staying the driest after several straight days of rain in the 3 season tents. Eureka models were well in that criteria.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"