Author Topic: RWTW 2017 Camping Discussion: Equipment, Methods, Goodies  (Read 7364 times)

Offline Ram

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
RWTW 2017 Camping Discussion: Equipment, Methods, Goodies
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:08:17 am »
Ram, you need to attend this event. Throw your tent and sleeping bag on the bike and come on up. You'll meet many COG'ers and socialize around the fire in the evening. Hope to see you there.

You caught me. I must admit, I am a Tent Virgin :??: haven't camped at all. I can get a Tent if you show me how to set it up.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti
07 Boulevard C90 - Sold, 06 Katana 600 - Sold, 06 V Star 650 - Sold, 96 Royal Enfield - Gone, 95 Yezdi Roadking - Gone

Offline Volcantour

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 8892
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: RWTW 2017 Camping Discussion: Equipment, Methods, Goodies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:12:49 am »
Best request that assistance be given before, and not after, the campfire...
TCARS, y'all

COG #8892  CDA #0309  IBA #45302
1999 Concours
SE AAD

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:47:07 am »
I call dibs on holding the clipboard.   :nananana:   :beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Ram

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 02:01:47 am »
Have to now start shopping for rent and sleeping bag. Any suggestions?
08 Concours 14 - Shakti
07 Boulevard C90 - Sold, 06 Katana 600 - Sold, 06 V Star 650 - Sold, 96 Royal Enfield - Gone, 95 Yezdi Roadking - Gone

Offline Rico

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12496
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:43:45 am »
$20 air mattress! And small electric pump!
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:25:45 am »

Yep, don't buy cheap stuff. Get the best that you can afford
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Ram

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 12:33:47 pm »

Yep, don't buy cheap stuff. Get the best that you can afford

Like no cheap Walmart stuff right? I read about Catoma 2 up 2 tent., seems to be a quick setup. I am sure there must be other stuff as well that will fold up nicely.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti

Offline MotoCommuter

• SE AAD GA
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7115
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 12:36:37 pm »
Ram,

A two man tent is plenty for one person, Eureka, Kelty make decent tents for the money. Spend your money on a decent sleeping pad, go to REI, they have them all on display and you can test them in the store. See what you like and then See if you can get a better price one line. A 30 / 40 degree synthetic bag will be fine for 3 season camping in the South. Get a compression sack to put it in, the compression sack will reduce the size considerably. Do not buy a big Coleman Walmart sleeping bag, they take up to much room and are to heavy.

Don't worry about cooking as the moto campgrounds usually have breakfast and dinner on the weekends. Bring a towel for your shower and your favorite beverage. Most MC campgrounds like TWO, Ironhorse, BRMC have coolers you can rent and ice for purchase.

Start with the basics and then check out what everyone else is doing and go from there. Most of the SE events are camping events, so getting quality gear will benefit you in the long run.
Kurt Brown - SE/AAD/GA
Barber Vintage Festival - Oct 5 - 8
Concours Carving The Cumberland - Apr 26-29, 2018

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 12:41:26 pm »
Like Kurt said, get a quality sleeping bag, like a Big Agnes etc... And also a top quality sleeping pad, such as an Exped. There are threads on here about camping gear that are informative.
I've also found great advice for gear selection on the advrider.com forum.

Tents, I have found that a 3 person tent is best for my solo camping. There is plenty of room for my sleeping bag, clothes and my riding gear. A tent with vestibules is also quite convenient.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline MotoCommuter

• SE AAD GA
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7115
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 01:25:17 pm »
Like Nicole, I use a 3 man tent when solo camping. A two man will work and will be slightly less expensive. I prefer the tents that clip to the pole rather than putting the poles thru the sleeve. Also double doors with double vestibules is nice feature to have.

I just upgraded my tent to a Marmot Limelight 3 person, they do make a 2 person, the tent walls are straight up rather then sloped from the ground. I noticed several COGers had then at the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous rally.
Kurt Brown - SE/AAD/GA
Barber Vintage Festival - Oct 5 - 8
Concours Carving The Cumberland - Apr 26-29, 2018

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:31 pm »
Ok, ya'll know my camping skills are zilch, and some of ya saw my tent at Cliff's..
  C.T. {COGgers Truth}: I swear I didn't know someone had painted it gold when I threw it in the truck.

But, I disagree.  {OMG!!! }   :sign0137:

RAM lives an hour away...
Why not buy just the basics for this trip?
  (ie; Spend $150 instead of $800)  {Walmart/Academy vs Kia/etc}
It won't be perfect, but it will be sufficient to learn...
Then, {if he likes the camping idea},,, he will have seen your better gear, and can make informed choices..

For now, give him a list of items he will need, not a list of bests to have..

Ride safe, Ted     Yes, I know I'm cheap  err frugal..

{Let the flames begin}    :truce:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:15:21 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 01:57:16 pm »
Who rattled Ted's cage?    Haha
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 02:00:02 pm »
I make no promises but I do plan on having one hell of a good time this go-'round!
Matt
:beerchug:
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden

Don't be a spectator in life. Be a participant...

Offline Ram

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 02:06:25 pm »
Ok, ya'll know my camping skills are zilch, and some of ya saw my tent at Cliff's..
  C.T. {COGgers Truth}: I swear I didn't know someone had painted it gold when I threw it in the truck.

But, I disagree.  {OMG!!!    :sign0137:}

RAM lives an hour away...
Why not buy just the basics for this trip?
  (ie; Spend $150 instead of $800)  {Walmart/Academy vs Kia/etc}
It won't be perfect, but it will be sufficient to learn...
Then, {if he likes the camping idea},,, he will have; seen your better gear, and can make informed choices..

Ride safe, Ted

{Let the flames begin}    :truce:

The key to me is to be able to haul it on my bike. This time of the year I have quite a bit free time in my hands coz my family is on a long trip to India (3-4 months). I may not be lucky next year with long/ camping trips.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 02:44:57 pm »
If I were to get a new tent today I would get the Big Agnes 'Rabbit Ears 4' - there are smaller and larger versions: https://www.campmor.com/c/big-agnes-rabbit-ears-4-tent-t0263--1

I don't use a sleeping bag - I stay warm on a Thermarest pad over a small air mattress. I sometimes set up the air mattress on the ground and put my tent over it = more headroom. We all have different set ups and you will see what works with you. A good tent will keep your stuff dry and will adjust to different outdoor temps with vents and etc. I say get a good tent and you can go cheap on other stuff. I wouldn't get a cheap tent and keep your good stuff in it - just sayin.

My first rally was a complete disaster. I had a tiny one-man tent that leaked so bad it could make a puddle on a sunny day. Changing clothes was  impossible inside that thing. It rained hard one night and I would have been better off just sleeping outside in my helmet  :rotflmao:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10583
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 02:46:25 pm »
   :)  Ram, I'll give you a sleeping bag to keep, for the price of becoming a dues paying member.   Adult size, never used, not a mommy bag, but a sack shape ;)   Alan in S. Fl   :motonoises:

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 03:06:28 pm »
All things equal I'll be there. My wagon always has the fast camp kit on top, with tent cot, pad, sleeping bag.

Ram is welcome to use it. The tent cot is very comfortable as long as you don't have claustrophobia.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 03:53:42 pm »
If he buys quality now, he won't spend money replacing the poor quality stuff.  It's not really that much more expensive to buy quality gear the first time.  If he doesn't like camping, he can always sell it.

"Spend the money on quality and cry once. Buy cheap gear and cry often."
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Ram

• Training Wheels
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 03:54:25 pm »
All things equal I'll be there. My wagon always has the fast camp kit on top, with tent cot, pad, sleeping bag.

Ram is welcome to use it. The tent cot is very comfortable as long as you don't have claustrophobia.

Thank you for the offer. I might still have to buy something for the long term if I decide to do more riding camps.
08 Concours 14 - Shakti

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »
   :)  Ram, I'll give you a sleeping bag to keep, for the price of becoming a dues paying member.   Adult size, never used, not a mommy bag, but a sack shape ;)   Alan in S. Fl   :motonoises:

:great:

:great:

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 05:42:42 pm »
I have to find a camping solution for this year.  Denise (and Madelyn) won't be making the trip again this year.  I want to bring the hack, so that means pulling my toy hauler won't be an option (not wide enough).

I will have space in the hack to bring a pop up awning and was also thinking of bringing another 10x10 awning.  the idea would be to use one to sleep under.  perhaps leave it open on the sides and use a bug net?  Perhaps enclose the sides?  I'm thinking about finding an old army cot type setup for sleep.

anyone have ideas???
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 06:21:31 pm »
I can bring you walls for an EZ up style pop up tent.

Cots are all the rage these days - that's a good piece of gear to have.

:beerchug:

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 06:44:39 pm »
I have to find a camping solution for this year.  Denise (and Madelyn) won't be making the trip again this year.  I want to bring the hack, so that means pulling my toy hauler won't be an option (not wide enough).

I will have space in the hack to bring a pop up awning and was also thinking of bringing another 10x10 awning.  the idea would be to use one to sleep under.  perhaps leave it open on the sides and use a bug net?  Perhaps enclose the sides?  I'm thinking about finding an old army cot type setup for sleep.

anyone have ideas???

Maybe a cheap tent under the pop up? Leaks from the sides and top shouldn't be an issue and get a cheap blue tarp for underneath if it does not have a polypropylene bottom.

As for Ram's situation, the electric pump sh/be a 12volt(I know, obvious, but...) and for tents, those Marmots seem to be the bomb. I and some others are using Alps Mountaineering tents. Good stuff for a reasonable price and US based customer service and replacement parts. I recently had a pole break, they sent out two, for free. This for an eight year old tent. I have an Extreme 3. Easy, though not instant, set up/take down using clips.

And do get at least a three man tent as they are really only for two people, max. the extra room will be welcome. If you stick with REI, Alps, Kelty, Eureka, Marmot, and North Face, you'll be in good shape with a decent, waterproof tent.

[on topic] Snake and I plan on arriving on Wednesday and departing on Sunday for the Spider Ride.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:57:08 pm by SteveJ. »
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 09:52:49 pm »
Nicole is right about going a little bigger than the minimum.

The Eureka Tetragon series of tents is relatively inexpensive, roomy, and tough.  The Tetragon 3 HD is 7x7 and that's not too big unless you're backpacking. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/eureka-tetragon-hd-3-tent-3-person-3-season~p~163ap/?filterString=s~eureka-tetragon--hd-3%2F#specsSection I'm going for another 8x8 Tetragon 4 because I'm 6'4" and stretch out another few inches when lying down (with feet relaxed). 

Whatever you get, go get a cheap plastic tarp and put it  UNDER the tent to protect the floor from sticks, rocks, roots, etc. If  you have some 6 Mil plastic sheeting, cut one to fit. Don't let the tarp/plastic stick out from under the tent or it'll accumulate rain.

I pitched my old 8x8 Kelty after the Hohenwald rally because it had developed some problems after 15 years or so. I'm going to replace it with a Tetragon 4 HD because of the interior height and some extra width to bring in my riding gear. For camping in the summer, get one that  has lots of mesh under the rain fly for ventilation. The screen will let you sleep on your bag if it's hot (and it will be in Georgia) and not get eaten up by bugs (we have a FEW).

Clip  to  pole style is easier to put up than poles in sleeves style- just bend the poles gently and in big arcs or they will snap. Whatever you get, set it up in the yard under a sprinkler and see if it leaks before your first trip. Most decent (not expensive, just decent) tents have a tape sealed floor and rain fly at a minimum on the inside. Absolutely storm proof ones like Marmot are all seam sealed but cost more. It's worth a few extra bucks to get the taped seams if you can. The description should say "fully taped seams" or the like. Very little difference in online discounted good products and store bought cheapies, but LOTS of performance difference. 

Places like REI are good to see product but then go online and shop. Lots of camping gear is "fashion and color" changeable year by year but the design stays the same. Places like Sierra Trading and Campmor post sell "last year's" fashion, but really who cares? Some have "outlet" pages on their site for "last year's tents."

If your new tents leaks under a sprinkler out on your lawn, seal the seams with Goop from Lowes (all types of Goop are the same stuff, just different labels like "marine, shoe, etc." all the same for this purpose) by wiping it on the inside of the tent seam with a nitrile gloved finger.

Let the goop dry and then put scent free baby powder (doesn't attract critters) on the seams (after the Goop dries) which you sealed before packing it back up or the seam sealer will glue the fabric together. It won't leak for a long time. I've done a couple of dozen this way for kids to camp in with good results.

If I can make the dinner on Thursday, we can talk tents and stuff if you want. Lots of other experienced campers on here. too.
2014 C-14

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 10:45:39 pm »
If he buys quality now, he won't spend money replacing the poor quality stuff.  It's not really that much more expensive to buy quality gear the first time.  If he doesn't like camping, he can always sell it.

"Spend the money on quality and cry once. Buy cheap gear and cry often."

I admit,,, you have a good point.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org