Author Topic: SE 2018 Spring Rally - Concours Carving the Cumberland  (Read 11156 times)

Offline MotoCommuter

• Kurt Brown - SE AAD GA
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7115
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: SE 2018 Spring Rally - Concours Carving the Cumberland
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2018, 10:38:33 pm »
Here are the pictures Kay took: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7RK2EHeM0ha0JfiE2
GA Wrenching Session: Apr 6 - Cancelled
Rally In The Valley: Apr 25-28
HSMR #6: May 2-5
Beat The Summer Heat: Jun 28-30
If it's not fun, why do it?

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2018, 11:27:05 pm »
:great: ABSOLUTELY!  Cindy, Lily, Josephine and I all had a great time.  Kurt/Kay did a fantastic job as rallymeister/mistress.  The folks doing the cooking were OUTSTANDING! I think I gained 10lbs.

Just empty your Depends...   :D     :rotflmao:    :pokestick: 

:beerchug:

Glad y'all had fun...   :)
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2018, 12:10:21 pm »
 :-[  Unfortunately, I had.   ;)

We missed you Marty. Too bad you couldn't make it.  :beerchug:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12217
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2018, 04:01:49 pm »
Despite getting there late, I had a great time at the CCC!  After an 800 mi. day on thurs., it was good to have a down day on Friday in Knox. with Fais while he assessed his back and adjusted to new meds.  As most folks did, I hit my fair share of rain on the way north, but the rest of the weekend was rider heaven.

Thanks to Kurt and Kay for putting it together, and all those (basically everyone) who had a hand in making it happen.  COG SE is a special group of folks.  This will be an annual rally for me.  I will also be doing the BTH and RWTW, as well as supporting Marty's efforts to get more RTEs and such in FL.

I was dreading the ride home on Sunday, but fortunately for me, Wayne's tire needed some looking after so I trailed him to the 75/10 split and we both hobbled home from there.

Thanks again everyone.

HMR #6 (May 2-5), Greenbrier, AR

'14 C14 Black

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2018, 09:57:46 pm »
Despite getting there late, I had a great time at the CCC!  After an 800 mi. day on thurs., it was good to have a down day on Friday in Knox. with Fais while he assessed his back and adjusted to new meds.  As most folks did, I hit my fair share of rain on the way north, but the rest of the weekend was rider heaven.

Thanks to Kurt and Kay for putting it together, and all those (basically everyone) who had a hand in making it happen.  COG SE is a special group of folks.  This will be an annual rally for me.  I will also be doing the BTH and RWTW, as well as supporting Marty's efforts to get more RTEs and such in FL.

I was dreading the ride home on Sunday, but fortunately for me, Wayne's tire needed some looking after so I trailed him to the 75/10 split and we both hobbled home from there.

Thanks again everyone.

Sounds like fodder for a Concourier story right there! Great to see you.
Ron
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12217
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2018, 11:51:49 pm »

Thanks again everyone.

Sounds like fodder for a Concourier story right there! Great to see you.
Ron

Thanks Ron, it was nice to finally meet you and BS for a bit.

To clarify something in last post, the special folks in COG are certainly not limited to the SE.  Cliff, Jimmy and Ted are just several of so many I can think of. And there are so many COGgers that I haven't met.

I have only been around for several years, but it seriously saddens me to see some of the exchanges on our forum about BoD, FB, etc..recently.  I know it's nothing new, but it does seem to have gotten worse.  The concerning part is that this bickering is primarily between the guys that have been around a long time and have meant a lot to COG and their respective regions.  I hear some much about protocols, by-laws and whatever else this club lives by, but why does it seem like they are so difficult to interpret?  For example, the transparency of the board should be something that should be figured out by now.  BTW, I totally respect the board and anyone who is an AD, AAD, etc.  I totally get that different folks have different vested interests in the success of COG, but we would never treat each other in person like we do on the forum.  I take that back, maybe they do, but I have never seen it.  And I can tell you as soon as I do, I will be taillights.  A COG event is the last place I want to see drama, except for maybe someone dropping their Connie. :'(

So why are the RTEs, the rallies, the track days, etc so much damn fun, but the forum is a place where I'm hesitant to ask a question anymore, and again, too much drama?? 
HMR #6 (May 2-5), Greenbrier, AR

'14 C14 Black

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2018, 12:41:53 am »
COG is absolutely PACKED with great folks. You are spot on.

When you go to a rally like we did last weekend, you see the Cliff & Jimmies, the Kurt & Kay's, the Culps, me and my wife, Dave & Denise & Madeline,  the Shawns, the Bugnuts, & even the Jerrys and Ted and the other 40 terrific folks.  ;)  Almost everyone I've met from all the country (in COG) is the same. In person events is COG. The forum is a tiny slice of COG. Very small. Took me a while to realize that. But  it'll be okay in the long run, I think. Just some growing pains.

I'll try not to hijack the thread, so I'll answer a little with my theory and then I'll follow up offline, but I think it's some combination of passion for the club, sometimes when people are stressed or frustrated for some reason-club, work, life, family, stuff?; sometimes the anonymity of the internet can be felt to be "liberating" by some; maybe resulting in some sort of venting or transference of personal life problems to the screen,  or who knows?  It's a well documented fact that the electronic "word of fingers" is an inadequate method of communications. We humans need to see, hear and use the other senses when we communicate. A computer screen is SO limiting and things get crazy quickly.

Like you, If I see crappy behavior in person, I'm not long for the club.  I'm sending you a PM in a minute.

Back to the CCC thread! Yahoo!!!!

:motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 12:51:14 am by ron203 »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline SidehackV45

• Tricycle
  • Yes, I go to Pound-Town often...
  • COG#: 11725
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2018, 10:05:44 am »
Had a great time, appreciate everyone's company and fellowship.

After figuring out a boneheaded mistake I made on the Bandit I was toting along with me, headed over to Tellico Plains for a few days with a Canadian buddy staying there and we did some additional riding. Made it home yesterday around 5:45 pm.

Thanks and hope to see y'all down the pike. Gotta decide on the Beat the Heat or RWTW ride. Can't do both. My dog misses me too much...  :))

Cheers.

TB

Offline SidehackV45

• Tricycle
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2018, 10:07:03 am »
Here are the pictures Kay took: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7RK2EHeM0ha0JfiE2

Excellent pics, thanks to the wifey and of course, to you for all your great work and other club officers as well.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2018, 11:08:25 am »
Had a great time, appreciate everyone's company and fellowship.

After figuring out a boneheaded mistake I made on the Bandit I was toting along with me, headed over to Tellico Plains for a few days with a Canadian buddy staying there and we did some additional riding. Made it home yesterday around 5:45 pm.

Thanks and hope to see y'all down the pike. Gotta decide on the Beat the Heat or RWTW ride. Can't do both. My dog misses me too much...  :))

Cheers.

TB

Aw right now, no partial confessions...we want to know  what the fix was...??? (Probably something every one of us has done or will do... ) Really glad to hear you got it fixed.   :great:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Bugnut

• Scooter
  • The Dude abides.
  • COG#: 9946
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2018, 12:57:30 pm »

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2018, 01:05:19 pm »
Lets see if this work:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oQYkQiHsDXVGmGvm9

:TPIWWP:

Mike

Sweet photos!!! I nominate Bugnut for office SE Photographer!! Really makes it look like a terrific wonderful weekend!
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline SidehackV45

• Tricycle
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2018, 03:51:21 pm »

Aw right now, no partial confessions...we want to know  what the fix was...??? (Probably something every one of us has done or will do... ) Really glad to hear you got it fixed.   :great:
[/quote]

The bike is somewhat modified, has a GSXR intake cam mod, Holeshot Performance stage 2 with the jetting and K&N pods but the double pods, one for each two carbs, timing advancer mod, etc. etc. What I did was, I pulled the pods a couple days before leaving home and re-oiled them, because they were nearly white again, the oil had evaporated and wanted to restore. Simply put, I used too much and didn't let it dry enough before reinstalling, although I had dabbed any excess off. They weren't dirty, just on the dry side. This bike doesn't get ridden a lot down here, it's just my fun hooligan bike. Blew them off with low pressure air and oiled up. Also, with the bike on it's side stand apparently before I loaded into the trailer, the pod from #1 and #2 must have pooled inside in such a way that when I fired it up to load in trailer, I set up a scenario which fouled plug #2 by drawing in an excessive amount of the filter oil. When Wayne (Wayniac) and I got back on Saturday riding the C14's (since the Bandit wasn't running well I simply put it back up for the day), I snatched out the plugs; cleaned and re-gapped but to the larger side of the gap opening spec, wa-la, fixed. Also, tweaked the pilot jet screw setting on #2 (I had brought my Motion Pro pilot jet adjuster tool with me just in case). Ran perfectly over in Tellico and that area. I rode that exclusively Monday and Tuesday, the Concours stayed in the trailer.

I'll pull 'em again here soon and recheck and also, gonna order two more sets; will likely just shotgun-replace these and keep a spare set from now on with me when I take that bike. But I'll wait until I have a parts order for a customer's bike so I can tag them on and save on the shipping from my supplier. Have some stuff coming in soon so I'll do it then.

These performance modified carbureted engines can get funky when the slightest variance is entered in the equation.

Boneheaded move on my part. Won't happen again.

TB

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »
Cool. Interesting. My C-10 starting running funky in Colorado at the National rally. I found out the K&N filter had clogged with the campground road dust. Doh...
Glad you had a relatively simple fix. Thanks for the update.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline SidehackV45

• Tricycle
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:50 pm »
Cool. Interesting. My C-10 starting running funky in Colorado at the National rally. I found out the K&N filter had clogged with the campground road dust. Doh...
Glad you had a relatively simple fix. Thanks for the update.

That crossed my mind also, with the oil as the clogging medium... but on one cylinder on the side it leans upon when parked, I discarded that theory and went with plugs... and it was the correct diagnosis after I pulled them and confirmed.

I've had NGK's fail new out of the box before; and, relatively new plugs fail also. Both on my own bikes and customer's bikes. Way back in '81 when I podded and Kerker'd up my '79 KZ650, I had toasted a set of plugs while trying to figure out the best jetting. No kits back then. Shop handed me a variety of mains and pilots and said "bring back what you don't use." So I replaced the plugs while finalizing the setup and it would run fine at an idle, but crapped out on one cylinder under load. Changed them again and it was fine.

Thought that might have occurred this time, but after cleaning and reinstalling, nope.. it was my dumb-a**... lol

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2018, 09:02:45 am »
Special thanks to Kurt and all those who made this rally happen. The small part I had in helping is a humbling reminder of what it takes to put on a rally. Thank you all who made this happen. We must do this one again  :beerchug:
ASE Certified mechanic.
Former CCS/WERA licensed racer #51.
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden
"Political correctness dumbs down our society because idiots come away propagating their beliefs as though they are correct" Douglas Re

Offline Con Man

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12769
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2018, 12:41:13 am »
Just want to say thanks to everybody who help put on this rally and to everybody who has posted pics from the rally. It was our first rally and we had a blast and enjoyed meeting new friends. Looking forward to the next one!  :beerchug:

Offline MotoCommuter

• Kurt Brown - SE AAD GA
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7115
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2018, 10:33:09 pm »
Just want to say thanks to everybody who help put on this rally and to everybody who has posted pics from the rally. It was our first rally and we had a blast and enjoyed meeting new friends. Looking forward to the next one!  :beerchug:

Glad you all enjoyed it. Hope to see you at another rally.
GA Wrenching Session: Apr 6 - Cancelled
Rally In The Valley: Apr 25-28
HSMR #6: May 2-5
Beat The Summer Heat: Jun 28-30
If it's not fun, why do it?