Author Topic: SE Region Beat The Summer Heat Rally 2018  (Read 8228 times)

Offline kathybrj

• Road Bike
  • I'm just having dessert and liquor
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9331A
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: SE Region Beat The Summer Heat Rally 2018
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2018, 11:50:10 am »
Heading out Wednesday morning and staying in Chimney Rock for the evening. We'll be there sometime Thrusday. We're a little ADD when it comes to riding and end up all over the place. :)

That’s what makes it fun!

Absolutely! But we have a hard time doing anything with a schedule. We could roll in at anytime or not at all!  :))
2014 Honda CTX700......usually right behind the hubby's '12 Connie....

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2018, 01:44:43 pm »
Our RallyMeister David, is enroute back from the frozen NW honeymoon with Lady Denise (he's a lucky guy), so I thought  I'd update you all on something. (If I get it wrong - maybe - he'll correct me in a day or two.

Iron Horse Lodge, site of the rally, has a restaurant on site, but unlike most, it offers a relatively limited - but good- menu. It has a sort of unique wrinkle in that they provide you a menu and you order a day or more in advance. I guess this is so they can order food and staff up accordingly.

I received an email from them yesterday, since I reserved a room in the lodge and they asked me if I wanted to confirm my second night's stay and pre-order our meal (dinner). The  email also had a menu built on an excel spreadsheet attached with a couple of choices, so I could pre-order.

Last year, when I tented (and walked in), they asked me on the the evening when I checked in, if I wanted to order breakfast for the following day? Some people did, some didn't. I do think they have coffee a la carte.  Breakfast was NOT on the emailed menu, so I guess you order it when you arrive.  If you didn't pre-order breakfast at check in, I don't think you were able to order the next morning.

The email also states you could call them directly for more info. I don't have  any more, so for more info, please call them directly. Thanks.

David is planning a group pizza dinner for us all on Saturday night, but bring your own beverages. It's a dry resort, so you will have to brown bag it if you want an adult beverage, but they did say they have coolers and ice available.

Some folks like to make their own breakfast and coffee  in their camping site. If you do, great. If you want to go offsite, great. Lots of places around Robbinsville If you have reservations for lodging for the rally, you  probably got the same email. If you plan to walk in and tent, be on notice that when you check  in, you may want to pre-order your breakfast or whatever for the  next day (or two).

I do not have all the details on this, since it's new to me, but just wanted to bring it up in advance so you could all think about it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Looks like we'll have 35+ folks there which is GREAT.  One request from your friendly local AD: Please make it a point to tell David you want him to have this  again next year.  ;)

See you all Friday afternoon - sometime -. Travel safely!   Oh, and bring your camp chair.

Ron
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:54:09 pm by ron203 »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Grasshopper

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9961
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2018, 02:25:13 pm »
Made my meal selections for Wednesday through Friday. Looking forward to seeing everyone! Thanks for the info on selecting breakfast, if wanted, when checking in!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2018, 03:33:15 pm »
Sointinly!! Yuk,Yuk, Yuk!   (Assuming the breakfast info hasn't changed.)  Maybe if someone has occasion to talk to them, we'll get an update? <please?>
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2018, 03:55:43 pm »
Sointinly!! Yuk,Yuk, Yuk!   (Assuming the breakfast info hasn't changed.)  Maybe if someone has occasion to talk to them, we'll get an update? <please?>

Correct, when you check in you make your breakfast selection for the following days, so if you want breakfast Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday morning it is best to go ahead and fill out the selection sheet and be done with it.  You will be charged for the meals if you fill out the paperwork.  If not sure then do it each day before. 

There is a small restaurant at the bottom of the hill call the Stecoah Diner, great fried catfish for lunch or supper and not opened for breakfast. Their hours are

Wednesday   11AM–8PM
Thursday   11AM–8PM
Friday   11AM–8PM  It doesn't show Saturday but they have been opened in the past when I was there
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2014 FJR1300ES (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Max

• Road Bike
  • CDA 264
  • COG#: 8762
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2018, 08:52:46 pm »
gonna try to make it, got to see the doc tuesday 24th for followup on this last knee surgery 2 weeks ago. if he clears me to ride ill be there. im off work with it so i can leave mobile and do a little exploring on the way up. 

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2018, 09:14:27 pm »
apologies to everyone for being AWOL, but Alaska was calling us.  Had a fantastic trip and didn't even think about you guys once!   :))

The motto for this rally is "Relax and cool off from the summer heat down below".  this rally will be laid back and if you only want to hang out and enjoy the cooler weather, that's fine.  if you want to really cool off, head over to Cherokee and pick up the parkway....or take a trip on the Cherohala Skyway.  Summer is VERY nice at the top!

pre-ordering food is recommended if only to help the lodge plan their food quantities.  they typically fix a bit extra in case of walk ups, but if you don't get to it in time, you run the risk of not getting any.

As for dinners, it's the same, but just leave Saturday night off your selections and all will be fine.  if you prefer not to eat pizza with us, that's fine.  just order what you want.  Rally Central is right outside of the restaurant, so we'll be there any time you want to join us.  later Saturday evening we'll have some activities and recognitions, so please join us then if not for pizza.

As I mentioned, Rally Central will be at my trailer just outside of the restaurant.  I will have an awning set up there to sit under if you want to hang out. if anyone is driving/trailering and has a pop up awning, let me know.  I'm in search of two additional ones.  Bring chairs (even extras for those that ride in) if you have any.  Registration will be there too, so please be sure to check in when you arrive and get situated.

I will have my extra large cooler with um...libations...for Saturday evening.  They also sell beer now at the converted gas station at Fontana Village.  no need to pack it in or ride to Bryson City to get some.  I'll bring an extra cooler just in case anyone needs some room.

gonna be a great rally!!!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2018, 09:19:07 pm »
 :great:

Welcome back!
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline funsize

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9297A
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2018, 09:34:42 am »
apologies to everyone for being AWOL, but Alaska was calling us.  Had a fantastic trip and didn't even think about you guys once!   :))

The motto for this rally is "Relax and cool off from the summer heat down below".  this rally will be laid back and if you only want to hang out and enjoy the cooler weather, that's fine.  if you want to really cool off, head over to Cherokee and pick up the parkway....or take a trip on the Cherohala Skyway.  Summer is VERY nice at the top!

pre-ordering food is recommended if only to help the lodge plan their food quantities.  they typically fix a bit extra in case of walk ups, but if you don't get to it in time, you run the risk of not getting any.

As for dinners, it's the same, but just leave Saturday night off your selections and all will be fine.  if you prefer not to eat pizza with us, that's fine.  just order what you want.  Rally Central is right outside of the restaurant, so we'll be there any time you want to join us.  later Saturday evening we'll have some activities and recognitions, so please join us then if not for pizza.

As I mentioned, Rally Central will be at my trailer just outside of the restaurant.  I will have an awning set up there to sit under if you want to hang out. if anyone is driving/trailering and has a pop up awning, let me know.  I'm in search of two additional ones.  Bring chairs (even extras for those that ride in) if you have any.  Registration will be there too, so please be sure to check in when you arrive and get situated.

I will have my extra large cooler with um...libations...for Saturday evening.  They also sell beer now at the converted gas station at Fontana Village.  no need to pack it in or ride to Bryson City to get some.  I'll bring an extra cooler just in case anyone needs some room.

gonna be a great rally!!!!

That sounds like fun.  I just need to retire!

Irene

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG 4478
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2018, 10:38:12 am »

That sounds like fun.  I just need to retire!

Irene

Just Do It   :great:  Jorge will understand   ;D
Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2018, 09:31:31 pm »
Last minute, but the better half and I are caging up Friday AM, staying through Sunday.
Wrist is still hurtin' so I'll be doin' the tail in my FiestaST.

Called the Iron Horse, snuck into the last cabin  :) 

Sent Dave an e-mail, I'll have 2 ez ups with me   :great:
....and some Apple pie AND some Creamsickle moonshine  :beerchug:

See ya Friday!!
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Eddie-FL

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 7073
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2018, 09:49:24 pm »
 Creamsicle? Aww, man, you're killin' me!
Anderson, SC
2015 Suzuki DL650XT "Grey Ghost"
1969 Triumph Bonneville 
AMA# 686667 COG# 7073   CDA# 0136

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2018, 10:52:43 pm »
Maybe Tim will bring some of that Apple Pie "shine" from Tennessee..  Yum.

It'll be a FiestaST, Amigos!!
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Mcfly

• Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 11:54:18 pm »
Creamsicle? Aww, man, you're killin' me!

You have no idea... :hee20hee20hee:

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12217
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2018, 02:53:19 am »
Was hoping to leave wed. morning, but it looks like thurs. morning. >:(

With the need to slab it now, I was hoping to avoid 75/Atlanta.  Never done the 95N>26>40>23 route to Robbinsville.  I was hoping some of you SC (and SE) guys/gals could provide some feedback on 26>40>23...gas stops, exits/towns to avoid, traps, construction, critters, etc.  Thanks a bunch.   
'14 C14 Black

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG 4478
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2018, 07:23:04 am »
Was hoping to leave wed. morning, but it looks like thurs. morning. >:(

With the need to slab it now, I was hoping to avoid 75/Atlanta.  Never done the 95N>26>40>23 route to Robbinsville.  I was hoping some of you SC (and SE) guys/gals could provide some feedback on 26>40>23...gas stops, exits/towns to avoid, traps, construction, critters, etc.  Thanks a bunch.

I did the 95/26/43 a couple weeks ago going to the Blue Ridge MC campground.  It was fast and smooth, but as with any interstate there is always the chance of traffic problems, especially I95.  I left out of Savannah and going and coming back no problems.  I would do it again if I had to.

Keep in mind, I left Savannah at 5:00 am 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:59:26 am by COGnosticator »
Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7402
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2018, 09:56:54 am »

We probably won’t be short in things to drink!

Offline Grasshopper

• Bicycle
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2018, 05:31:29 pm »
Randy,
I modified some of your 2017 RWTW routes and also some I rode last year on Phil's rally. I loaded them to my iCloud for use with inRoute app. My Garmin Zumo 660 USB connector broke so now I'm using inRoute on my iphone until I get it fixed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:32:16 pm by Grasshopper »

Offline okrider

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2018, 05:57:06 pm »
I'm going to be heading out after work on Friday. Camping at Fontana. Friend of mine is trailering his bike in so I'll probably spend most of my time with him and my girlfriend. Will try to make it to the group events but I'll likely just come say hi to people on Connies.
2011 Black: Russel Day Long, Helibars Horizon, Kawi top case, ECU flash, lowered passenger pegs

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2018, 06:06:20 pm »
Randy,
I modified some of your 2017 RTWTW routes and also some I rode last year on Phil's rally. I loaded them to my iCloud for use with inRoute app. My Garmin Zumo 660 USB connector broke so now I'm using inRoute on my iphone until I get it fixed.

Cool! Not sure of my ETA at this point. Friday sometime, may even throw in a handfull of twisties on the way in.
RWTW, COBDR, SM 500, BVF...

'14 S10, '06 C10, '07 DR650, '14 250XC-F

Offline Grasshopper

• Bicycle
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2018, 06:33:09 pm »
That'll give me time to warm up!

Offline Mcfly

• Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2018, 09:11:51 pm »

I have some Apple Pie ala mode Moonshine comin' with me too.  It's a morale imperative!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2018, 10:23:07 pm »
Think I'll just ride over tomorrow.  :motonoises: To keep Jerry, Reid & Phil out of trouble!  :)

Cliff   :beerchug:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 225,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG 4478
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2018, 10:42:10 pm »
Think I'll just ride over tomorrow.  :motonoises: To keep Jerry, Reid & Phil out of trouble!  :)

Cliff   :beerchug:

Ahh, the good son   :D
Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2018, 11:06:50 pm »
Not sure if I'll get there Thurs. or Fri. Friday is more likely. :??:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!