Author Topic: 2020 Nat travel planning thread  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Cali Cruiser

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12770
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2020 Nat travel planning thread
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 01:09:50 pm »
I'm in!! 2-4 days are good for me!! Gotta do PCH and maybe a couple of passes if they are open! Yosemite!! Highways 36 and 299 on the way up or back! Redwood NP is always awesome too! Gotta see Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox too!

:motonoises:   :motonoises:   :great:

Let me know if you’ll need me around to keep your speeds down to a safe level. 😂

Offline HeavyRotation

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 13089
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 06:00:33 pm »
Kim, check out hiway 254 just south of Stafford to south of Phillipsville  ( Ave of the Giants)

Have you ever run from the 254 , the Mattole road to the coast to Ferndale? Is that a good run?
Yes it is awesome, but very rough in spots. Beat me up even on my dual sport. But if you keep it under race pace it's fine. Incredible scenery and hardly any people.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9318
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 08:41:00 pm »
Kim, check out hiway 254 just south of Stafford to south of Phillipsville  ( Ave of the Giants)

Have you ever run from the 254 , the Mattole road to the coast to Ferndale? Is that a good run?
Yes it is awesome, but very rough in spots. Beat me up even on my dual sport. But if you keep it under race pace it's fine. Incredible scenery and hardly any people.

Excellent Thanks all.

Offline Gscott

• Mini Bike
  • 09 C14
  • COG#: 12413
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 09:49:58 am »

Traffic can be a problem at times, at least there are some passing zones.

Offline PanAm52

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11919
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 01:40:11 pm »
Well I signed up for the National in Vancouver, WA. Not staying at the hotel but am camping at Battleground Lake State Park.  Anybody else camping?  Not sure of route yet.

If anyone is an aviation enthusiast, check out Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum.  It is quite spectacular.  You can tour the Spruce Goose and get your picture taken just like Howard Hughes sitting at the controls. 

Offline HeavyRotation

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 13089
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 04:21:57 pm »

Traffic can be a problem at times, at least there are some passing zones.
It's California, traffic either moves aside or you just go around wherever you want. Ive never had a traffic problem in that part of California except on 299 due to roadwork. But why would anyone ride 299 when 36 is right there. I haven't seen anyone mention CA 3 from 36 up to Yreka but it's fantastic also. More open and flowing for big bikes or guys who aren't tryna drag a peg everywhere. Going over Mt Scott and down the Trinity past the reservoir is very memorable, as is the section south of 299 through Hayfork. I dare you to ride that and not look at Hayfork real estate listings afterward. Fair warning on 96, it is very rough at superlegal speeds, though still great. The length of 3 is buttery smooth. 299 is in great shape, 36 is a little tore up between Wildwood and Platina, otherwise good. Platina road from 36 back into Redding is an outstanding super moto style route with great views. This is all as of October.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline SantaCruzRider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8702
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 06:41:14 pm »
Accommodations booked for Sunday-Friday!

I'll be traveling on business the week prior, so riding up from Santa Cruz, CA on Saturday and Sunday, then back down Friday-Sunday after the rally. Routes pending as I watch this thread for inspiration.
Dan Breeden
Concourier editor emeritus (2015-'16), OtP tag-along rider 2017
'94 Concours; '02 FZ1

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 01:24:55 am »
Accommodations booked for Sunday-Friday!

I'll be traveling on business the week prior, so riding up from Santa Cruz, CA on Saturday and Sunday, then back down Friday-Sunday after the rally. Routes pending as I watch this thread for inspiration.
AWESOME!  :beerchug: :great:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Online Rusty

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 03:25:51 am »
 :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Guess I need to get my reservations in too! Should be a lotta fun coming and going from the National this year!

:motonoises:   :motonoises:   :great: