Author Topic: SW Travel to the 2018 Nat Kerrville TX  (Read 6839 times)

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: SW Travel to the 2018 Nat Kerrville TX
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2018, 03:22:25 am »
You know me Sir! I shall come self equipped. And much like you and I, The travelers shall enjoy what is offered and like it!  ;) :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline TJSocal

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12519
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2018, 03:43:07 am »
I think if you want to introduce the travelers to America it's got to be Jack.

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • COG#: 7763
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2018, 02:49:47 am »
OK, my route back is more northerly.  I'm staying at the YO Ranch Hotel over the weekend after the rally and leaving the following Monday:

6/18 - Kerrville to Lubbock (somewhere near there)
6/19 - to Eagle Nest, NM (via Clovis, Tucumcari, Las Vegas)
6/20 - to Bluff, UT
6/21 - to Cedar City, UT
6/22 - back to Pahrump

I've got about 4200 miles and that doesn't even count the week of the rally...

"You put antiseize on those, right?"

01 C-10 Sonic Blue ("Old Blue") - Touring by Sport Touring:  Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, EBC rotors, Nissin 4-piston calipers, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Russell Day-Long saddle, Cee Bailey windshield.
17 C-14 Candy Imperial Blue ("Baby Blue") - Sport by Sport Touring

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2018, 10:50:55 pm »
OK, my route back is more northerly.  I'm staying at the YO Ranch Hotel over the weekend after the rally and leaving the following Monday:

6/18 - Kerrville to Lubbock (somewhere near there)
6/19 - to Eagle Nest, NM (via Clovis, Tucumcari, Las Vegas)
6/20 - to Bluff, UT
6/21 - to Cedar City, UT
6/22 - back to Pahrump

I've got about 4200 miles and that doesn't even count the week of the rally...
Nice  :great: :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline TJSocal

• Bicycle
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2018, 06:52:34 pm »
Day 1 is scheduled for June 4.

Cool. Barring any unforeseen conflicts I should be able to join at least as far as Morro Bay.

I understand now why you're starting in OC, but would renew my suggestion to get on PCH in Santa Monica rather than going up 405/101 through the Valley. And plan to get out of Lake Forest either before 7AM or after about 9AM.
Cool :great: Yeah prolly after 9a after PR stuff and packing. I'll take a look at that Santa Monica route. Isn't that alot of stop and go through Malibu etc? Though may be something fun for the Euros to C.  :beerchug:

For those who plan to join on Day 1 in LA but don't want to suffer on the 405 in both directions, I'd suggest a RDVZ at Patrick's Roadhouse in Santa Monica. It's just after you get onto PCH off of the 10, Chevron station next door and it's on the correct side of the road to head north.

If Mark can shoot out an alert when they're leaving Lake Forest others can time their arrivals accordingly - with traffic Kaw HQ to Patrick's is probably between 1-1.5 hours, with filtering set to "on".

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2018, 08:00:59 pm »
I'm hoping to have a tracking device by that time so folks can follow along. Keep ya posted.  :beerchug:

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:55 pm »
I'm hoping to have a tracking device by that time so folks can follow along. Keep ya posted.  :beerchug:
Use your phone and Spotwalla  :great:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=14900592ebb3b4ccfc&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

https://spotwalla.com/

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2018, 12:14:19 am »
Use your phone and Spotwalla  :great:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=14900592ebb3b4ccfc&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

https://spotwalla.com/
Dang, you rode across Kansas with the Chica? Getting a new smart watch that is GPS enabled. Can track my heart rate too so you know when we are in UT and CO. and when we get to the lodging for the night and get mellow.  ;) :beerchug:

Offline TJSocal

• Bicycle
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2018, 02:04:48 am »
Mark, I pre-ran the route as far as Buellton today. No brainer, you definitely want to do 154 out of Santa Barbara. It's a little bit twisty and the scenery is eye-popping, a great contrast to the beach scenes up to that point. There's a paved vista point just past the top that would probably make a good rally point & photo op.

For a quick & tasty lunch I'd suggest El Rancho Market, a couple of miles after you get on 246 from 154. Deli counter serves really good tri-tip sandwiches and other BBQ goodies. And you can pick up a bottle or four of the Central Coast's finest for later enjoyment. From there you can roll through Solvang on 246 and pick up 101 at Buellton.

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2018, 02:16:38 am »
Mark, I pre-ran the route as far as Buellton today. No brainer, you definitely want to do 154 out of Santa Barbara. It's a little bit twisty and the scenery is eye-popping, a great contrast to the beach scenes up to that point. There's a paved vista point just past the top that would probably make a good rally point & photo op.

For a quick & tasty lunch I'd suggest El Rancho Market, a couple of miles after you get on 246 from 154. Deli counter serves really good tri-tip sandwiches and other BBQ goodies. And you can pick up a bottle or four of the Central Coast's finest for later enjoyment. From there you can roll through Solvang on 246 and pick up 101 at Buellton.
Your the Man. I need to recruit you.  :great: :beerchug:

Offline TJSocal

• Bicycle
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2018, 07:56:05 pm »
Mark, have you got a date and lodging location set for the final day of OtP (Kingman(?) to LA)? If possible I'll plan to connect with you guys for that.

And I think I mentioned before, if you need any help with logistics in LA let me know.

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2018, 01:21:29 am »
Just PM'd ya. Lat day will be a longy. Planning on staying in Holbrook AZ 16 June into So Cal 17 June.

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
CaffeineMan's final itinerary
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2018, 06:16:27 pm »
Ok, my trip is finalized.  Sounds like I won't coincide with the OtP crowd, but here's mine if anyone wants to jump in:

Jun 2 - Pahrump, NV -> Flagstaff, AZ
Jun 3 - Flagstaff, AZ -> Alpine, AZ
Jun 4 - Alpine, AZ -> Silver City, NM
Jun 5 - Silver City, NM -> Artesia, NM
Jun 6 - Artesia, NM -> Marathon, TX
Jun 7 - Stay in Marathon, ride Big Bend
Jun 8 - Marathon, TX -> Fredericksburg, TX
Jun 9 - Stay in Fredericksburg, ride the Hill Country
Jun 10 - Ride the Hill Country, then to Kerrville, for the rally.

Edited to add trip back:

Jun 11-14 - Rally
Jun 14-17 - Stay in Kerrville, misc riding around the hill country

Jun 18 - Kerrville -> Lubbock
Jun 19 - Lubbock -> Eagle Nest, NM (via Clovis, Tucumcari, Las Vegas NM)
Jun 20 - Eagle Nest -> Bluff, UT
Jun 21 - Bluff -> Cedar City, UT (via Monument Valley and Duck Creek)
Jun 22 - Cedar City -> Pahrump
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:49:29 pm by CaffeineMan »

01 C-10 Sonic Blue ("Old Blue") - Touring by Sport Touring:  Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, EBC rotors, Nissin 4-piston calipers, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Russell Day-Long saddle, Cee Bailey windshield.

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2018, 04:00:55 am »
Rain changed my plans.

I went west through the rain to Alpine TX.  Met Edwin from Illinois there.  Then to Globe AZ.  Then to Page AZ.  Then through monument valley and up to Moab.  Tomorrow winding my way to Nephi UT.  Then Cedar City.  Then home on Saturday.