Author Topic: 6000 mi Perrelli Angel GT report  (Read 9351 times)

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 6000 mi Perrelli Angel GT report
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 02:34:24 pm »
Hey JTX - or anyone else - just thought of this.  Doesn't your year have traction control?  Does it take longer than that to kick in?  (Mine is an 08 abs with no TC)

Yes but it wouldnt be applicable to this kind of traction loss. I wish!!

The KTRAC is for the rear wheel slipping upon acceleration. 

ETA: Attaching the pictures for future searches when my image links are gone.

Are those pics to show the chicken strips, or almost large enough to be called chicken fillets?  :D

All kidding aside. Ive never seen that kind of harsh wear on a michelin. Those pics are a definite deciding factor for me, no Angel GT. If I change, Ill follow Cliffs recommendation and try Avon's. 31 sets of tires is a thorough test of a product.

Those 1/8th inch stripes are very intentional. :great:

Well, let me remind you of a couple of things on these pictures.  The bike was loaded down pretty well, theres was some two-up riding and I pushed them pretty hard in the corners.  Thats why I slid.  Considering the weight of the bike for 6000 miles, they are pretty well worn.  Also, I rode through a ton ( 20 miles ) of fresh road asphalt and you are seeing some of that on the sides of the tires.  It took me several miles to ride far enough to get that crap off my tires before I could get back up to highway speed.

I've been riding a long time and I couldnt be more happy with the tires and their condition at this point.  Though I was surprised the FRONT is down to the wear bars before the rear. But, I did a LOT of riding on the edges.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:59:05 pm by JTX »

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 03:20:19 pm »
Hey JTX - or anyone else - just thought of this.  Doesn't your year have traction control?  Does it take longer than that to kick in?  (Mine is an 08 abs with no TC)

Are those pics to show the chicken strips, or almost large enough to be called chicken fillets?  :D

All kidding aside. Ive never seen that kind of harsh wear on a michelin. Those pics are a definite deciding factor for me, no Angel GT. If I change, Ill follow Cliffs recommendation and try Avon's. 31 sets of tires is a thorough test of a product.

Also, I rode through a ton ( 20 miles ) of fresh road asphalt and you are seeing some of that on the sides of the tires.

Yep, thats why they're called CHICKEN strips!

Im seeing in your pics missing rubber chunking out of the tires, not asphalt buildup.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »

Also, I rode through a ton ( 20 miles ) of fresh road asphalt and you are seeing some of that on the sides of the tires.

Yep, thats why they're called CHICKEN strips!

Im seeing in your pics missing rubber chunking out of the tires, not asphalt buildup.

I'm not seeing what you see apparently.  What picture, and what section of the tire?

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Training Wheels
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 09:10:34 pm »
I just installed a set of Angels today. Even took it for a short ride.  It feels sooooo much better than the stock 021's. I really think a class action suit against Kawasaki for putting those horrible tires on a bike.

Stock tires had 1654 miles since I bought the bike new in Aug. They will get not 1 mile more.

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 09:12:23 pm »
I just installed a set of Angels today. Even took it for a short ride.  It feels sooooo much better than the stock 021's. I really think a class action suit against Kawasaki for putting those horrible tires on a bike.

:D

What struck me immediately, was, how well it turned vs the 021s I had. I turned and almost turned too far!

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Training Wheels
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 09:42:31 pm »
That was my impression too.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 03:18:26 am »
I tried Michelin once. This is the weird wear after about half the tread life. They felt squirrelly so I took them off and went back to Angels. Never stray again.

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »
I tried Michelin once. This is the weird wear after about half the tread life. They felt squirrelly so I took them off and went back to Angels. Never stray again.

It looks like they couldnt handle the torque very well.....  There was some of this on the Angels, but it was mild compared to that.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »
Have any of you tried the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 2? 8/32 rear tread depth.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 02:58:45 am »

That does look weird.  On my 3rd set of PR4's on this bike and 2 on another.  Never saw that before.  I'd quit after that too!  Only thing I have seen is some of the sipes on the front looking a little raised when worn.  SO far, my front to back ratio has been nearly 2:1.  Not quite, but close. 

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 11:32:46 pm »
I had that same weird wear on the PR4's I bought, and road fully loaded for 5K miles.

I've had similar odd scallpoing with the Angel SpecA's, but only when I ride two up for long distances.
I mostly attribute this to bad suspension settings, as I am not good with setup.

The Pirellis handle it better than the michelins for sure, and I still like the way the Pirellis feel and handle overall.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 03:48:54 am »
Never had that with the Angels. Don't ride two up.

Offline DennyD

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11956
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 05:47:01 pm »
Dang it, I was all ready to buy PR4s and ya tawked me into Angel GTs.  Less than $300, I was happy about that as well!

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 06:10:07 pm »
Their prices make the perelli a no brainer IMO.

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 04:26:04 pm »
I had the PR4s on my bike for about 4000 miles and hated them. When I had my little drop and it was in the shop I had them toss the PR4s and put Angels back on it. I'll never trust my a** to anything else again.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 05:06:48 pm »
Hi,
       After studying suspension,watching vids and talking to people about the C14.... :o

I can not help but wonder, if a lot of tire wear problems, are more related to the OEM suspension. :-X

Than to different, makes/brands/models, of tires???? :(

Just sayin??? ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 05:08:34 pm »
Hi,
       After studying suspension,watching vids and talking to people about the C14.... :o

I can not help but wonder, if a lot of tire wear problems, are more related to the OEM suspension. :-X

Just sayin??? ;D

It's a fair question.  Though I'm not sure you could ever really prove it either way.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 09:49:21 pm »
Actually,
It would be pretty easy for someone to prove.
All they have to do is ride for several sets of tires on stock suspension in their normal stomping grounds. Then they buy new tires and better suspension and repeat same as before. 4 sets of tires each way should give conclusive evidence on tire wear.
Shouldn't take more than a couple years!
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 11:09:07 pm »
Actually,
It would be pretty easy for someone to prove.
All they have to do is ride for several sets of tires on stock suspension in their normal stomping grounds. Then they buy new tires and better suspension and repeat same as before. 4 sets of tires each way should give conclusive evidence on tire wear.
Shouldn't take more than a couple years!
Matt

HA!  Yeah I suppose if you went the same way every time!

Pass.  I'll simply say that I have proof these tires saved me in the video !  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2017, 10:13:26 pm »
I had the PR4s on my bike for about 4000 miles and hated them. When I had my little drop and it was in the shop I had them toss the PR4s and put Angels back on it. I'll never trust my a** to anything else again.

Me too, hated the PR4's. I like the Angel GT's but I go through them too fast, The Avon 3DXM's feel just like the GT's but wear twice as long.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2017, 10:24:16 pm »
Hi,

Just sayin??? ;D

I think if you tracked the C14 yes suspension would play a part, but street riding I doubt has an effect. Now rider habits like grabbing a fist full all the time, grabbing the brakes all the time and generally having rough inputs would have an effect on tire wear. I ride the pace, so quick, but not abrupt on the throttle or brakes. I do like to drive into corners so I do wear the front tire more than most.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2017, 10:30:59 pm »
Hi,

Just sayin??? ;D

I think if you tracked the C14 yes suspension would play a part, but street riding I doubt has an effect. Now rider habits like grabbing a fist full all the time, grabbing the brakes all the time and generally having rough inputs would have an effect on tire wear. I ride the pace, so quick, but not abrupt on the throttle or brakes. I do like to drive into corners so I do wear the front tire more than most.

Considering what I did on this trip to these tires, they were spectacular and I'm a lifer.

I even went off road in the dirt for 12 miles up a mountainside and they never missed a beat.

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2017, 11:54:48 pm »
Would you recommend the Front and Rear "A " Spec  Angel GT's or are the regular GT's just fine? Thinking about trying the Angel GT's but I just love my Michelin's PR 4 GT's...Need to replace the front after more than 9K miles and I still have plenty of tread left on rear tire after 4500 miles. Have read enough comments to at least try the Angels. Price is lower than the PR 4's also.

Online JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2017, 11:56:04 pm »
Would you recommend the Front and Rear "A " Spec  Angel GT's or are the regular GT's just fine? Thinking about trying the Angel GT's but I just love my Michelin's PR 4 GT's...Need to replace the front after more than 9K miles and I still have plenty of tread left on rear tire after 4500 miles. Have read enough comments to at least try the Angels. Price is lower than the PR 4's also.

A Spec only applies to the rear.  The front is the same tire anywhere.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 12:07:24 am »

A Spec only applies to the rear.  The front is the same tire anywhere.
Actually there is an "A" spec available for the front also. Slightly increased load range is the difference. Stiffer carcass.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!