Author Topic: 6000 mi Perrelli Angel GT report  (Read 9439 times)

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
6000 mi Perrelli Angel GT report
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:19:43 am »
6000 miles....

The center is a bit flat spotted on both tires. I ran them in the high 30s.  I Think 39 or 40 for the duration of the trip.

The FRONT edges are near the wear bars.

The rear is fine still.

Wet, hot, cold, rain, SNOW, and they held the road beautifully.

I nearly low sided on highway 550 in Colorado. If I had NOT had these tires, I would have went down, for sure.  These tires saved my butt, literally and I'm going to continue to use these tires as long as they are being made.

I ran about 250 miles two-up with the wife, but otherwise it was just me and a well-loaded bike for 6K.

- I'll upload some pix of their condition shortly.  I'm still washing the 6K of dirt off the bike, day two.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 6000 mi Perrelli Angel GT report
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 02:54:57 pm »
Okay, so let me get this straight. If you were using PR4GT's, that you would have crashed? I kinda find this hard to believe.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:39:52 pm »

I'll be more specific for ya.

If i had OEM bridgestone 023 tires I wouldn't have held the road.  I'm sure what you have is on par with the perelli. 

But after the perelli saving my butt I'll be sticking to the angel GTs

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:46:30 pm »
As an accomplished and well trained Florida rider, curves tend to scare the snot out of me. I recently put an angel on the rear (replaced a pr3) still have pr3 in the front. I went to RWTW this past weekend, and this was the most confident I've ever felt on a bike in that environment. Still scary for me, but at least on this trip there was no screaming in my helmet to distract me  :-\ :-\ . The angel is thoroughly predictable all the time. From here on out, I'm running Angels. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 04:12:42 pm »
As an accomplished and well trained Florida rider, curves tend to scare the snot out of me. I recently put an angel on the rear (replaced a pr3) still have pr3 in the front. I went to RWTW this past weekend, and this was the most confident I've ever felt on a bike in that environment. Still scary for me, but at least on this trip there was no screaming in my helmet to distract me  :-\ :-\ . The angel is thoroughly predictable all the time. From here on out, I'm running Angels. Steve

Right on.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 04:19:44 pm »

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 04:47:58 pm »
Having gone though 3 sets of Angel GT's on my 2012 I can comment on this. Angel's were on back order and I decided to give the Pilot 4 GT's a try and it's not the same feel. I've had a chance to get into a few turns with the Pilots and they grip but the turn in is effortless with the Angels. They fall into turns. When you 1st put them on and you're not used to them they can be a little scary they fall in so easy. I have about 10,000 miles or 2/3 of a year for me to thoroughly feel out the Pilot's but unless they start feeling better after more miles I'll be going right back to my Angels when I wear the Pilots out.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 07:37:13 pm »
Hi,
        Wow!

You guys are making me feel good! ;D

Just put on some Angel GT "A Spec"s on, and of course they feel better than the old OEM"s! (5500 miles) ::)

I'll keep these comments in mind as I use them!!! :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:51:50 pm »
Hi,
        Wow!

You guys are making me feel good! ;D

Just put on some Angel GT "A Spec"s on, and of course they feel better than the old OEM"s! (5500 miles) ::)

I'll keep these comments in mind as I use them!!! :great:

I put about 30,000 miles on Angels....
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 10:32:34 pm »
JTX, those pics have 6k miles on them? And your pleased with that condition of them at this stage?
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 10:42:51 pm »
JTX, those pics have 6k miles on them? And your pleased with that condition of them at this stage?

5920 to be exact.

I've noticed no difference in handling since they were new, and theres room for more.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:24:46 pm »
Hi,
        Well....As I said, my OEM Bridgestones made 5500 miles and were toast! :(

They were sguared off so bad that the bike wanted to drop, into turns..... :o

NOT in a good way, and yes, we do have a FEW curves in Florida! ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0Vu_utUZY
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 11:39:00 pm »

These are squared pretty good, but not noticeable while riding.  I wouldnt have noticed if if I didnt look at them.

What I find interesting is the front seems to be more worn than the back.  But I was loaded down pretty heavy and did some spirited riding with some hard braking more than once or twice :)

As someone else said, when you FIRST ride with these tires they feel WEIRD, but you get used to it very fast.  Within a few miles.

Hi,
        Well....As I said, my OEM Bridgestones made 5500 miles and were toast! :(

They were sguared off so bad that the bike wanted to drop, into turns..... :o

NOT in a good way, and yes, we do have a FEW curves in Florida! ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0Vu_utUZY

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 03:01:45 am »
When I first got a set, it was not weird at all. It was how the bike should handle. Tried PRs and won't use them again. Not in the same league. Strange wear as well.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 04:03:42 pm »
When I first got a set, it was not weird at all. It was how the bike should handle. Tried PRs and won't use them again. Not in the same league. Strange wear as well.

Totally agree with this.
4k miles on mine, and plenty of tread all around.  Slightly flat in rear center, totally normal for me.
been running at about 42psi fr/rr, and could probably stand to run them slightly lower for more grip thru the twisties.

Will continue to buy these tires or the updated future replacements.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 09:25:55 pm »
I finally made a snippet of the gopro video of me nearly having a bad day on 550, if not for my superior skills  and the Angel GTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nQ5PM9QMVg

...all seriousness, I'm not a new rider and If these tires did not give the feedback they provided at the time of this front end slide, I would probably have been fixing the bike.

I'm a lifer for the Pirelli Brand after this.

Its hard to tell in the video, but the roadway is just slightly damp.

Dont forget to check the 1080 quality button and go full screen for the BEST effect on your equilibrium  :-\ :-\

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 03:45:08 am »
Well looking at a video is certainly not being there so my comments are probably not worth more than a foot ball fan on Sunday saying, "you shoulda passed."

I would hope the dampness mattered more than the riding.  You look very smooth, reasonable speeds, and reasonable acceleration at apex.  I've had this bike get squirrely on exit on PR4's but seemingly (in real life) much more speed and throttle at exit in the dry.  I bet the dampness played a big part.  I agree with you that feedback is the key.  Clearly you had good feedback and controlled it very well.  A good day!   :great:  Been using PR4's on the last couple bikes, but I'm going to give the Pirelli a shot maybe next change - on the rear - not front.
Nice save!

On a different note - this is exactly why I always have the TPMS on the dash when sport riding.  Hard throttle on apex, rear end squirrels out.  In the old days I'd wonder nice save or is it going flat?  Quick look down between turns and you know the air is fine and you just showed some skill - or got lucky - or both!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 10:42:36 pm »
Well looking at a video is certainly not being there so my comments are probably not worth more than a foot ball fan on Sunday saying, "you shoulda passed."

I would hope the dampness mattered more than the riding.  You look very smooth, reasonable speeds, and reasonable acceleration at apex.  I've had this bike get squirrely on exit on PR4's but seemingly (in real life) much more speed and throttle at exit in the dry.  I bet the dampness played a big part.  I agree with you that feedback is the key.  Clearly you had good feedback and controlled it very well.  A good day!   :great:  Been using PR4's on the last couple bikes, but I'm going to give the Pirelli a shot maybe next change - on the rear - not front.
Nice save!

On a different note - this is exactly why I always have the TPMS on the dash when sport riding.  Hard throttle on apex, rear end squirrels out.  In the old days I'd wonder nice save or is it going flat?  Quick look down between turns and you know the air is fine and you just showed some skill - or got lucky - or both!

Well, I will say I was pushing it pretty hard as in I Had a full load on the saddle bags, rear pack, and a dry bag for clothes.  So, the bike was working.  Add just a tad of wetness and it broke loose.  Though, I felt every second of it and I was able to keep it under control.
What went through my mind as it was sliding was, ambulance, hospital, 900 miles from home, YIKES. :truce:    But that said, I was not going that fast.  Maybe 25?

And your right was not hot-dogging it through there.  But the bike was leaned over pretty far for a big heavy scooter.  I probably should have took the corners slower due to the spotty wet spots. And, well, I did after that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:46:45 pm by JTX »

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 11:27:04 pm »
Videos always tamer than real life for sure!  Yeah you looked (motor sounded) like great control. Clearly you had good feedback.  I've enjoyed the feedback form pr4s but am seriously considering these.  I understand the looking for wet spots the rest of the day - been there too!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 11:29:05 pm »
Videos always tamer than real life for sure!  Yeah you looked (motor sounded) like great control. Clearly you had good feedback.  I've enjoyed the feedback form pr4s but am seriously considering these.  I understand the looking for wet spots the rest of the day - been there too!

Yeah.  Too bad the video noise is clunky though. I Forgot a part of the gopro so it was rattling in the case. Oops.

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 12:05:03 am »
Hey JTX - or anyone else - just thought of this.  Doesn't your year have traction control?  Does it take longer than that to kick in?  (Mine is an 08 abs with no TC)  Sorry if this is a derail - but a great example caught on video.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:10:27 am by angelo »

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:18 am »
Hey JTX - or anyone else - just thought of this.  Doesn't your year have traction control?  Does it take longer than that to kick in?  (Mine is an 08 abs with no TC)

Yes but it wouldnt be applicable to this kind of traction loss. I wish!!

The KTRAC is for the rear wheel slipping upon acceleration. 

ETA: Attaching the pictures for future searches when my image links are gone.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:50:51 pm by JTX »

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 06:23:23 am »
I am on second set of Angels on my '12. The rear presently has 10k on it and looks like it could go another 5k! I do plan on replacing it this Spring in spite of that. The front has 4k and should easily go another 3k! And they have been awesome in the rain with lots of grip!
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 12:58:45 pm »
I am on second set of Angels on my '12. The rear presently has 10k on it and looks like it could go another 5k! I do plan on replacing it this Spring in spite of that. The front has 4k and should easily go another 3k! And they have been awesome in the rain with lots of grip!

Absolutely one of the best tires I've ever had.

Just watch it when the roads get just right and the lean angles get far enough, you can go for a RIDE like I did!    Though, this can happen to ANY tire.  I'm biased, but I think the tires themselves and their feedback kept me upright.

I plan on doing this ride again next year.  However I plan on being a little less aggressive on those sharp/DAMP corners. :-[

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:03:16 pm by JTX »

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 02:23:05 pm »
Hey JTX - or anyone else - just thought of this.  Doesn't your year have traction control?  Does it take longer than that to kick in?  (Mine is an 08 abs with no TC)

Yes but it wouldnt be applicable to this kind of traction loss. I wish!!

The KTRAC is for the rear wheel slipping upon acceleration. 

ETA: Attaching the pictures for future searches when my image links are gone.

Are those pics to show the chicken strips, or almost large enough to be called chicken fillets?  :D

All kidding aside. Ive never seen that kind of harsh wear on a michelin. Those pics are a definite deciding factor for me, no Angel GT. If I change, Ill follow Cliffs recommendation and try Avon's. 31 sets of tires is a thorough test of a product.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267