Author Topic: ? about tires for a 9000 mile trip  (Read 604 times)

Offline Stubby

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10847
  • Membership Level: Active
? about tires for a 9000 mile trip
« on: November 15, 2013, 01:20:40 am »
OK here is the deal I have been asked if I wanted to do a 9000 mile trip in 12 days next May so I'm exploring my options.
With regards to tires is there a good tire for this bike that will go that far? It will be mostly Interstate stuff to do what we need to do but I don't want just a rock tire so to speak. I am running PR2/PR3 right now but just not sure I can get that kind of millage out of them.

LOL this is the first of many long distance questions to come so thanks for any help.
Dave
"It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask for permission"

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: ? about tires for a 9000 mile trip
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:05:06 am »
Dave, if it were me I'd run a PR3 front and a PR2 rear. If I remember right, I got 12K out of a set of PR2's. They were used up and down to the threads. I used them on a mix of roads. 2 long slab trips and I live in a area where it can get twisty are not very far away. The reason For the PR3 front is they seem to last and wear better than the PR2 front which I thought cupped pretty early. HTH TimR
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:54:51 pm »
OK here is the deal I have been asked if I wanted to do a 9000 mile trip in 12 days next May so I'm exploring my options.
With regards to tires is there a good tire for this bike that will go that far? It will be mostly Interstate stuff to do what we need to do but I don't want just a rock tire so to speak. I am running PR2/PR3 right now but just not sure I can get that kind of millage out of them.

LOL this is the first of many long distance questions to come so thanks for any help.
Dave

Dave,

In 2011, we did a 9000 mile trip in 14 days...coast to coast, Canada and USA. I did exactly what TimR said above...PR3 front, and a 190/55 PR2 rear. Both tires lasted the whole trip and then some...I ended up with almost 12k on that rear tire.

That trip was also 2-up, w/ side cases and E55 top case fully loaded. We were heavy.

This very trip was why I experimented with the 190/55. The 55 series tire has a slightly higher load rating than the 190/50 and I took the chance hoping the that the tire could cope with the weight on a trip like that, and it worked like a charm!

I understand your concern though, I typically only get 5000-6000 miles out of a rear tire....in fact, I've ruined them in as little as 3000 miles. If I get 6000 miles on a rear, I'm usually pretty excited about that.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:16:16 pm by Rembrant »
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Stubby

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10847
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:50:21 pm »
Guys this helps a lot thanks for the good info
"It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask for permission"