Author Topic: ANGEL GT A SPEC  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Fork

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10691
  • Membership Level: Active
ANGEL GT A SPEC
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:06:25 am »
Just got back yesterday from replacing my PR4's with ANGEL GT A SPEC tires. With both sets I had the 55 series tires on the back. I had read here that some riders had commented that the Angel's tipped in to corners better than the PR4's so I was anxious to try them for myself. It seemed to me that the comment about cornering was an understatement. My initial reaction to the Angel's is that when you start to enter a corner at medium to high speed once you reach the tip in stage the bike just dives into the corner on the Angel's. Once I get used to it I think I'm really going to like the tires. Have any of you noticed the increase in tip in on the Angel's?  I know that the 55's will tip in faster that the OEM sizing but both tires were already 55 series tires.

Fork

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
Re: ANGEL GT A SPEC
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:49 pm »
I'm on my third set of Angels since my last pilots, which were 3's, i think.

No comparison.

The Angels are more like Sportbike tires with higher mileage capabilities, vs, the Pilot Roads -- which seem to favor higher mileage touring skins.

If you ride aggressively or simply want more feel / feedback from your rubber  - you'll stick with Angels for a while.  ;)

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:48:09 pm »
When I went from my stock rubber on my 2012 to the Angel GT's I thought there was something wrong at first and turned right around and went back to the shop. It took me all of 2 miles to get used to it and I wouldn't run anything else. The tires are outstanding. Great in the wet and while I do a lot of commuting and highway riding I normally get 9 to 10K out of a set. I'm guessing if I lived in the mountains I may not do so well.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14 Traded In
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 03:41:43 pm »
I like the Angels initially, but found the handling worsened as they wore. I didn't experience that as much with the Michelins, the handling remained basically the same throughout the life of the tire. That being said, they may have changed the Angel, I haven't run one for a few years.

Offline smokin

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 01:56:24 am »
I changed the OEM bridgestones at 3000kms to Pirelli Angel GT "A" specs.Fitted a 190/50 profile on the rear.No concerns with tip into corners,very controlled,handling compared to oem bridgstonestones like chalk and cheese in both dry and wet conditions.
I wouldn't bother fitted 190/55 profile Angels,corning is outstanding with 190/50 profile.Bigger contact patch in upright position and medium cornering angles.
IMHO people fit 190/55 profile after having oem bridgestones because they are such a poor handling tyres in terms of turn in and corning effort required amongst its other poor performance trates ,much like riding a American bison.
Currently Angels have covered 8,450 miles with 3 mm left front and rear.No drop off in handling at all from new IMHO.
Next tyres will be the same type.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:59:35 am by smokin »

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:56:20 pm »
Years ago they only had Angel ST and no A spec. GTs have been around awhile now though, as well as A spec.

I found the inverse. My Pilot Road 3s on a previous bike started off great and then BLEH. Angels are pretty much the dame throughout. Different roads etc, I guess.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:45:04 pm »
Years ago they only had Angel ST and no A spec. GTs have been around awhile now though, as well as A spec.

I found the inverse. My Pilot Road 3s on a previous bike started off great and then BLEH. Angels are pretty much the dame throughout. Different roads etc, I guess.

Yes, mine were the ST model. Better than stock, but IMHO worse than the Michelins. There fantastic in the beginning though. I'm riding the twisty roads of Wester PA and WVa.

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 04:21:05 pm »
3rd set of GT A specs here

55 rear each time.

Prior tire was PR2, I see no need to pay extra for Michelin.

12k-14k miles out of each set also
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9585
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 01:22:03 pm »
I love the Pirelli's I have the GT "A Spec" 190-55 rear and the standard size on the front. Loved the handling and riding on the freeways too. I ride a lot of mountain roads here in Southern California and got 6K out of both the front and back with cord showing on the right side just recently on the front. I am pretty aggressive while riding the hills but they did give me less miles than the Michelin GT4's that I had for similar riding which I loved too. Probably go back to Pirelli's or the Michelins (May try the 5's). Just ordered Dunlop Roadsmart 3's with the rebate from Riders Domain. See how I like them...:) heard good reviews on them.  Saw there is a similar rebate on the Pirelli's that just popped up after I ordered the Dunlops. I think (know) your miles will suffer if you ride fairly hard. Just the way it is...  :)

:motonoises:   :motonoises:   :great:

Offline Fork

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10691
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 01:02:36 am »

Just returned from Arkansas and 2000 miles in the curves with the Angel's and have to say that they are amazing compared to PR4's of the same size. Once the bike starts to tip in on a corner you better be ready to roll on the power because the bike is going to demand it. Had a  blast. Only problem was not with my bike. One of the Harley riders put his bike in a ditch early on and we lost riding time to that.

Fork

Offline smokin

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 03:42:36 am »
I love the Pirelli's I have the GT "A Spec" 190-55 rear and the standard size on the front. Loved the handling and riding on the freeways too. I ride a lot of mountain roads here in Southern California and got 6K out of both the front and back with cord showing on the right side just recently on the front. I am pretty aggressive while riding the hills but they did give me less miles than the Michelin GT4's that I had for similar riding which I loved too. Probably go back to Pirelli's or the Michelins (May try the 5's). Just ordered Dunlop Roadsmart 3's with the rebate from Riders Domain. See how I like them...:) heard good reviews on them.  Saw there is a similar rebate on the Pirelli's that just popped up after I ordered the Dunlops. I think (know) your miles will suffer if you ride fairly hard. Just the way it is...  :)

Rusy,I am interested in your thoughts on the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tyres compared to the Pirelli Angel GT.

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • COG#: 12802
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 03:49:31 pm »
well I am ordering new tires tomorrow, local place said Michelins are the best. I have always been a fan of Pirelli's on  most bikes I have had so gonna give the Angel GT a try :)
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9585
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 01:20:33 am »
That
well I am ordering new tires tomorrow, local place said Michelins are the best. I have always been a fan of Pirelli's on  most bikes I have had so gonna give the Angel GT a try :)
That's a good choice It is a great tire and there is a rebate on them till the end of May! My Dunlop RS3's have about 2500 miles on them front and rear and are holding up well. I will be putting on quite a few more miles on them in the next week as I travel with OTP travelers as they make there way to the National Rally! So I should have a review on them when I return home. In the meantime enjoy your new tires. Do you plan on getting the "A" specs GT's?

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • COG#: 12802
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 08:54:51 am »
yes got the A Spec...

Surprised that I ordered them yesterday and last night I got a notice they will be delivered today... Sound to good to be true
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12