Author Topic: ANGEL GT A SPEC - WOBBLER OR NOT  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Fork

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10691
  • Membership Level: Active
ANGEL GT A SPEC - WOBBLER OR NOT
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:22:50 pm »
I'm due for a tire replacement this spring before taking any long trips. I have been running Michellin GT PR4's with a 255 on the rear. I was ready to try a set of Angell GT A spec's on my 2012 C1400 until I saw some complaints that riders with the Angell tires that they had a tendency to have a front end wobble. I have been there before with other bikes and really don't want to put up with a wobble problem. Looking for input from others using the Angell's to find out if the wobble is a common problem or just an isolated problem. I wanted to try the Angell's because of the comments about how much better the bike was going into the corners.How about those of you using the Angell's, is this a common complaint?

Fork

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
Re: ANGEL GT A SPEC - WOBBLER OR NOT
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:28:42 pm »
Hi,
      Short answer....NO!

I think (and many others!) it's a GREAT tire!

Wet/dry, whatever! ;D

My experience/opinion! :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »
I have them on my bike right now and they are great tires!  I have had the PR4 GT's on my bike prior and they are great too!

Both brands are super! No wobble..

:motonoises:    :motonoises:   :great:

Offline Blackhawkgeo

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:02:55 pm »
I'm on my 3rd set of them on my 2015. I have never experienced any kind of wobble. Great handling tire in the dry or wet! :)
2015 C-14
2008 V-Strom 650 (Sold)
2006 Victory Jackpot (Sold)
2004 Triumph Daytona 600 (Sold, should have kept it)
When life gives you lemons, keep them, because hey, free lemons!

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 10:30:25 pm »
No wobble here. I think if they wobbled, the company would fix it quick. The people that have experienced wobbles have something wrong with their bike front end or got a defective tire.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:23:54 pm »
Nope.  I'm on set #2. But A spec on both this time vs just on the back.

I have zero miles on them, but I got around 6500 miles out of the first set.  I'm a lifer.

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:16:09 pm »
No wobble here either.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline roy826

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:40:39 pm »
Wobbler I won’t buy any more of them.

Absolutely not wrong with my bike. It did not wobble with the Michelin PR3 on it and I wore that sucker smooth. I will be going back to michelins once this Pirelli is shot.
'12 Concours 14 GONE, '16 GSX-S1000, '15 GSX-R600 racebike, '15 WR250F, 2016 Tiger 800 XC

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 11:26:32 am »

Absolutely not wrong with my bike. It did not wobble with the Michelin PR3 on it and I wore that sucker smooth. I will be going back to michelins once this Pirelli is shot.

Did you post a thread on this? I don't recall if you did.

If your scoot is fine, the tire was defective.  Theres simply no reason for this to happen unless there is a problem with the bike including out of balance wheel, or the tire.

ETA: for the record, towards the end of the life of my last non A spec front tire, I did have a little wander here and there depending on the pavement.  However I Rode the tire PAST it's usable lifespan.  I literally made the sidewalls treadless. As well as past the wear bars in the center.

See  http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/rear-a-spec-removal-ideas/

I just put a new set of A's on.  If theres any problems, you can bet I will post about it here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:31:28 am by JTX »

Offline roy826

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:42:50 pm »

If your scoot is fine, the tire was defective.  Theres simply no reason for this to happen unless there is a problem with the bike including out of balance wheel, or the tire.

ETA: for the record, towards the end of the life of my last non A spec front tire, I did have a little wander here and there depending on the pavement.  However I Rode the tire PAST it's usable lifespan.  I literally made the sidewalls treadless. As well as past the wear bars in the center.

See  http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/rear-a-spec-removal-ideas/

I just put a new set of A's on.  If theres any problems, you can bet I will post about it here.

I did briefly once it was mounted. Did not pursue it any further once everything checked out ok on the bike. Tire balance was done two times and that was not it. I even broke the tire down and rotated it to no change. It was the tire and I was not dealing with sending it back. Lesson learned I won't buy any more Pirelli's just like I won't use a Dunlop on the racetrack on my race bike having learned that lesson there as well.

It's back to Michelin where I should have stayed.
'12 Concours 14 GONE, '16 GSX-S1000, '15 GSX-R600 racebike, '15 WR250F, 2016 Tiger 800 XC

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:35:53 pm »

I did briefly once it was mounted. Did not pursue it any further once everything checked out ok on the bike. Tire balance was done two times and that was not it. I even broke the tire down and rotated it to no change. It was the tire and I was not dealing with sending it back. Lesson learned I won't buy any more Pirelli's just like I won't use a Dunlop on the racetrack on my race bike having learned that lesson there as well.

It's back to Michelin where I should have stayed.

Hi,
       Good deal! :beerchug:

This is sort of like riding gear... ::)

From shorts and flip flops, to full on suited protection. :-X

When you eat it, there's only you on the gurney! :(

We all have to go with what we believe in for ourselves! :great:

Ride safe! :motonoises:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 10:16:31 pm »
I used two Angles (two sets) and while they did not wobble such that I noticed it while riding the bike, both did show more sideways movement on the balancer than any of the Michelin tires I have used. This is why I mention it- there was enough visual 'weave' in the tire as it was spun that I was wary that that might show up while riding but I could not detect any odd behavior in the bike at any time while those tires were used. It was sufficiently noticeable that I broke the first tire off the wheel and re- mounted it but it still tracked about the same.

Brian

I'm due for a tire replacement this spring before taking any long trips. I have been running Michellin GT PR4's with a 255 on the rear. I was ready to try a set of Angell GT A spec's on my 2012 C1400 until I saw some complaints that riders with the Angell tires that they had a tendency to have a front end wobble. I have been there before with other bikes and really don't want to put up with a wobble problem. Looking for input from others using the Angell's to find out if the wobble is a common problem or just an isolated problem. I wanted to try the Angell's because of the comments about how much better the bike was going into the corners.How about those of you using the Angell's, is this a common complaint?

Fork
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Motodoc

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12713
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:44:48 pm »
I had Angel ST's on my '08 when I bought it and they were great tires.  I replaced them with GT spec 2's and they are even better.  I went with the 190/55 on the rear and the bike corners better (to me).  These are solid as a rock wet or dry...confidence in any corner.  LOVE them!!!
I've had NO wobble issues with either ST or GT's.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 11:22:51 pm »
HOnestly there is only ONE person here who's reported a "wobbler" with the Pirellis.

Not saying anything other than that is the only time i've heard of that, and it is more than possible.

However, i'm on my 4th and 5th set (two bikes) of Angels, and I love 'em.

I do get some weird tire wear patterns, but I know this is due to my own inability to set the suspension correctly when carrying varying loads, and passenger.

I will continue to buy Angel GT SPec A's until something better comes along.

As info, I ran Pirelli Diablos on my Aprilias before I bought my C14, and loved those as well.
Predictable, consistent, and an all around performing tire.

The irony is, you can't PAY me to buy a set of Pirelli CAR tires -- I buy only Michelins!  :D

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline touring03

• Bicycle
    • ADVENTURES ON 2 WHEELS - motorcycle touring & travel
  • COG#: 10797
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 02:23:14 pm »
I'm on my third set and have never had a problem, I think they're an awesome tire.

PG

Offline Gary

• Big Wheels
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 08:55:51 pm »
I have an '08 Concours 14 and have Angel GT Spec A.  I opted for the larger rear size - 190/55 ZR17.  I think this gives me a slightly steeper fork angle and good handling.  It also gives me a more accurate speedometer.   The Angels have been very good - no wobble - for 6670 miles so far.  I often ride two up, and  with gear, near the load rating.  I think I have between 25% to 33% tread and life left in these tires. On the rear, there is a slight flat on the bottom and flats on the sides - lots of West Virginia riding - awesome.  I will end up changing tires because of the profile before the tread is worn to the wear bars.  I expect to buy another set of Angels for the Connie.

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 06:02:38 am »
Two sets of the Angel GT's A spec on my C14, and have not experienced a wobble.  I have thought of trying the Michelins, but am so pleased with the Pirellis that I am reluctant to try anything else.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Rod

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 06:10:07 pm »
I have a stone driveway and if a rock gets in the tread of the front tire you can feel it. Especially if you let go of handlebars.

Offline Springer

• Street Slammer
  • Tricycle
  • COG#: 10338
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 01:37:52 pm »
Great tires, never have had a problem, I have run Angels since my original set of tires.
1982 Suzuki GS1100e, sold
2010 Concours 14

Offline smokin

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 07:03:52 am »
Fitted Pirelli Angel GT "A' at 3000kms,couldn't get rid of the OEM Bridgestones quick enough.
The Angels are an excellent tyre in all conditions,no wobbles,vibration and don't track undulations in the road surface like some.
Pirelli's have covered 13000 kms so far still with 3 mm tread left front and rear.
Highly recommend Pirelli Angel GT tyres.

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:49 pm »
Fitted Pirelli Angel GT "A' at 3000kms,couldn't get rid of the OEM Bridgestones quick enough.
The Angels are an excellent tyre in all conditions,no wobbles,vibration and don't track undulations in the road surface like some.
Pirelli's have covered 13000 kms so far still with 3 mm tread left front and rear.
Highly recommend Pirelli Angel GT tyres.

Agree; +1  :great:
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 02:23:13 am »
I have an '08 Concours 14 and have Angel GT Spec A.  I opted for the larger rear size - 190/55 ZR17.  I think this gives me a slightly steeper fork angle and good handling.  It also gives me a more accurate speedometer.   The Angels have been very good - no wobble - for 6670 miles so far.  I often ride two up, and  with gear, near the load rating.  I think I have between 25% to 33% tread and life left in these tires. On the rear, there is a slight flat on the bottom and flats on the sides - lots of West Virginia riding - awesome.  I will end up changing tires because of the profile before the tread is worn to the wear bars.  I expect to buy another set of Angels for the Connie.

Hi,
       I got 5500 out of the OEM Bridgestones on my 2012 C14.

Put on the 55 Angel GT "A" Specs....

Life is good and noticed a more confident feeling in the curves!

Of course new tires are new tires!!! ;D