Author Topic: front end wobble  (Read 475 times)

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
  • Membership Level: Active
front end wobble
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:58:25 am »
I definitely have a front end wobble going on with the C14.  It only happens when I brake.  I plan to order new pads and tire this week, but could it be the rotors?

I've heard that the stock pads can sort of deposit material on the rotors and make it feel like a warped rotor.  This would be what it feels like, it's a vibration that's directly proportional to the speed I'm going when I brake.  If that's the case, how do you clean the rotors to get rid of that material?  If I need new rotors, should I look at something better than stock? 

Any suggestions on what else I should look at?

Thanks!

Offline Freddy

• Moped
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: front end wobble
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:26:59 am »
Yes & yes.  I've found that the only way to successfully remove pad material is to have the discs bead-blasted at an eng recon shop.
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:57 pm »
year and miles?

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 01:40:10 pm »
Brake cleaner & a scotch bright pad will clean the rotors  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 03:45:37 pm »
year and miles?

sorry

'09, 40,200mi  I put about 600/week on so expect that to climb.  I currently have a Metzler roadtech 01 on the rear with about 1600mi on it, and the shinko x16 front with about 7600 on it.  I plan to replace the front tire and brake pads here in the next week or so.

When I do the tire, I'll try to check the rotor for being true, and clean it with a scotch bright red + brake cleaner.  I don't have a gauge to test true, but is that something you could see with the naked eye while balancing? 

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:40:23 pm »
Might check steering neck bearings.

Offline Freddy

• Moped
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 10:05:46 pm »
year and miles?

sorry

'09, 40,200mi  I put about 600/week on so expect that to climb.  I currently have a Metzler roadtech 01 on the rear with about 1600mi on it, and the shinko x16 front with about 7600 on it.  I plan to replace the front tire and brake pads here in the next week or so.

When I do the tire, I'll try to check the rotor for being true, and clean it with a scotch bright red + brake cleaner.  I don't have a gauge to test true, but is that something you could see with the naked eye while balancing?

Absolutely not.  You need a dial gauge and have the bars tied to a full lock position with the gauge mounted on a piece of rail iron (that's what I use) to get a precise reading, plus a micrometer to measure thickness variation, which can also be the cause.

Hope you've been bleeding/flushing the fluid to prolong ABS life if it has it.
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 12:56:20 pm »
I do have the ABS and I have flushed everything once, I do wonder though how to know if I've actually gotten enough through the ABS to give it a good flush.

I can say with certainty that the ABS still works perfectly on dry pavement   :o had a teen on lunch break pulling out of a DQ without looking help me test them out.  Normally when I test the abs, I take it to my parents house.  They have a long gravel driveway, you can safely test abs at lower speeds. 

I'm curious about the steering head bearing.  While I now this is something tire related, how do I know if the steering bearing is going out? 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:34:39 pm by GIant81, Reason: Iy Kant Spel »

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 11:14:32 pm »
At 40k miles unless you routinely pull wheelies and drop back down hard your neck bearings are probably fine. Put the bike on the center stand and have someone push down on the back. Grab the forks near the bottom and pull forward. If there is ANY movement have the bearings checked and greased. If you do it yourself be careful, most people get them to tight. Overtightened neck bearings can cause a high speed weave. To loose and it just feels wonky.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver