Author Topic: Front wheel removal  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Michael

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Front wheel removal
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:34:42 pm »
Is there a trick to removing the front axle?  I cannot get it to loosen.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Front wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 11:39:09 pm »
Huh, the axle is torqued at abt 90 ft lbs.  You need a breaker bar 1/2" is what I use.  a 3/8" ratchet will not work.

Fred
Wa2gzw

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 11:54:19 pm »
Did you loosen the pinch bolts on the right side before trying? You don't have to loosen the left side ones BTW to get the axle out. Yes its TQ to 94 foot pounds and takes a decent breaker bar to get it to turn.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:41:02 am »
Did you loosen the pinch bolts on the right side before trying? You don't have to loosen the left side ones BTW to get the axle out. Yes its TQ to 94 foot pounds and takes a decent breaker bar to get it to turn.

Unless you actuaally know which side the 'nut' is on, and which side the 'axle hex' is on... saying that may be erroneous... You wouldn't get my axle out...

that said, both side pinch bolts loosened, and hex stubs/allen keys with helper pipe and a good rubber mallet to strike the wrench or removing tool, works easily... 'human impact wrench"

I don't torque those things (axle nuts) to spec, never have... and I coat the threads on the axle, and nut, after completely cleaning both, with a light layer of grease... just because... tighten them well, but 90 ft/lbs, is a bit.... extreme.
before someone starts harping at me, I do torque the pinch bolts to the proper reading, simply because I can get them free with an allen key, and a "heavy boot".
With the pinch bolts tight, the axle will not "loosen" and come apart...

removing something like a wheel, on the road, with limited tools for an emergency repair, will convince my theory of "gudentite".. If it takes a special tool from your toolbox at home, to remove something 500 miles away, at 2 a.m., you will get my point. :truce:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Michael

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 01:10:07 am »
Thanks all, I have a bit that fits, was using an 8" adjustable wrench on the bit to try and loosen the axle.  Will up my mechanical advantage.  Right side pinch bolts loose, left loosened but re-tightened before I tried to work on the axle (because I read a thread here :) )

Read several posts about aligning the wheel that left me a bit confused about the procedure for re-tightening the axle and pinch bolts and brake calipers, will tackle that after I get the tire changed out.  Looks like it's mostly loosen, spin, tighten a bit, spin, rinse, repeat.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:57:55 am »
I made the mistake of using a pitbull stand under the front forks to remove the front wheel/axle - and it caused problems.  Mostly due to the axle not being perfectly aligned and level.

As much as I hate doing it, putting a jack under the oil pan was the best way to properly lift the front end -- in the absence of a proper bike lift, that is.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 12:23:30 pm »
If you put some weight in the topcase or hang it from the rear rack if no case it takes little force to lift the front wheel. I have always used a floor jack on the exhuast where the header collect.

Offline Michael

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 03:38:56 pm »
Thanks all, took a few days to find time for it again, a12" wrench and some elbow grease got it loose.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:26:04 pm »
I made the mistake of using a pitbull stand under the front forks to remove the front wheel/axle - and it caused problems.  Mostly due to the axle not being perfectly aligned and level.

As much as I hate doing it, putting a jack under the oil pan was the best way to properly lift the front end -- in the absence of a proper bike lift, that is.

gr
Could you share problems you had after using floor stand for removing/installing front wheel?

Offline SWOJO95

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 190
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 10:57:28 pm »

gr

Jacking under the oil pan with a piece of wood in between is what Kawasaki shows in the service manual, Page 10-6, so I am thinking that is the proper way?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 11:29:09 pm »

gr

Jacking under the oil pan with a piece of wood in between is what Kawasaki shows in the service manual, Page 10-6, so I am thinking that is the proper way?

yes.
I'll add that it's a good safety feature to attach a cinch strap, at the bottom of the center stand', and around the front of the fairing, and back to the centerstand, to prevent it folding up while you are wrenching on it...

also, with the bike still sitting with both wheels on the ground, and before putting it on the center stand, and jacking it up...
break all the pinch bolts, and axle bolt free, to make it easier for removal once it's in the air.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:33:32 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...