Author Topic: harbor freight tire changer  (Read 1410 times)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
harbor freight tire changer
« on: November 03, 2018, 01:51:53 pm »
 I picked up on of these used last week . I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it looks like itll be a good set up .
 It came with mojo blocks and a mojo bar and even a hitch mount.( not sure this a usable feature  as it puts it way to high )
 I used some drop in anchors to mount it to the floor and bought a 5/8 round bar for the vertical pivot.
 I have a question to you guys who have used these.
 The mojo blocks were installed as the pics on the mojo site shows but to me they are to low. I raised them up to just above flush with the top edge of the steel.
not sure if I did good or not lol. what is the consensus on this ? ill get a pic up in a few .

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:04:14 pm by strum »
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
Re: harbor freight tire changer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:58:46 pm »
As yall can see in the pic of the Mojo block . I used a yellow pine block under the mojo to raise it then i cut another very tight fitting block in the front .
 My thinking is the front one will hold the Mojos in and I made them a little tall to help prevent rim scratches while lining up the wheel .

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:02:48 pm by strum »
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 02:17:49 pm »
I'm always looking at these, unfortunately, I'm lazy... ;D
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Sparkie

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 03:26:10 pm »
That looks like it should work fine. I had a harbor freight changer first and made all the mods you did. It worked ok for the C10 at the time. I also drilled and put a bolt through the main post so it could not rotate on you.

I now have upgraded to the No Mar classic and it works better, don't have to do any mods to it. I will say that I still struggled to mount my last rear tire on my FJR. It was a Bridgestone T30 Evo Gt which has a stiffer sidewall. I had to give up and pay to have it mounted. I was a little dissapointed. Mark
2006 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)
2006 Ducati 620 Multistrada
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Online Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 03:38:11 pm »
I did something similar - no C10 rim scratches  (have never done C14)

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 07:05:52 pm »
That looks like it should work fine. I had a harbor freight changer first and made all the mods you did. It worked ok for the C10 at the time. I also drilled and put a bolt through the main post so it could not rotate on you.

I now have upgraded to the No Mar classic and it works better, don't have to do any mods to it. I will say that I still struggled to mount my last rear tire on my FJR. It was a Bridgestone T30 Evo Gt which has a stiffer sidewall. I had to give up and pay to have it mounted. I was a little dissapointed. Mark

I did that also  :beerchug:
2008 C-14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 09:41:07 pm »
As yall can see in the pic of the Mojo block . I used a yellow pine block under the mojo to raise it then i cut another very tight fitting block in the front .
 My thinking is the front one will hold the Mojos in and I made them a little tall to help prevent rim scratches while lining up the wheel .

sorry I didn't get back to you about your p/m, missed it..

as for the mojo's, not sure if the ones you have are home made or not,
here are the variations of blocks they sell, based on which machine version you got from h/f, there were 3 versions....

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoblocks.htm

I don't have the h/f machine here, I made a set of blocks for my pal's machine, out of a block he had of HDPE/Nylon material, and made sure it sat about 1/8" higher than the mteal back piece on his machines arms...and also a new rod assembly for use with smaller axle bearing bikes, where I welded a piece of all thread to a (7/8" ??) iirc, bolt, I think it's really a 20mm thread, but it screws in... then with the tire bead broken, I spun a hex nut and flat washer down the thread, to below the bottom beairing on the rim, followed by a 3" square piece of 1/2" thk plywood, with a hole in the middle... then clamp the rim in the mojo's, and spin the bottom nut and plywood up to press against the bottom bearing from below, and use another wood plate on top, with another washer and nut, and snug it up. Then, I slipped a length of pvc pip over the allthread, to protect the threads during the use of the mojo bar. I also made a threaded rod from 5/8" all thread, for smaller axles, and it's used the same way.
 To keep the rim from spinning, I simply use a cinch strap on a wheel spoke to wrap it and tie it off to one of the arms on the machine..doesn't mar the rim, and holds it well..

I use this same system of rods and plates, on my home made tire machine, which is a small car rim, with rubber hose slit and covering it's upper perimeter, and is bolted to my heavy duty rolling workbench.. I have no room for the full H/F machine, so my bench mounted setup works great, using the same stuff... I do have a H/F machine "base" however, which I use for breaking beads on, and then, tossing it in the corner for storage.
hope that helps, I have to extract the pictures i took when making the machine parts for my pal, off of my phone... will post when i can,

My only complaint was after I hooked my pal up by modifying his machine for him, I lost ALL the "beer income" I levied on him and other pals of ours, I made for doing tire swaps... it was always a nice 'sixer pack" job, when they came over and brought the good stuff... but he does stop by, whenever he does a tire for someone else, and brings a 'sixer' as post payment... good friends...  :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:56:43 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 12:05:09 am »
I think they are the type #2 blocks . They do show some use but I think they are serviceable. The mojo tool also has some use so I ordered new tip/bolt and flat end piece from him . $15 bucks shipped . Nice guy to deal with too.
  So far I have about $190 in this set up so thats not bad.

2008 C-14

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 09:57:39 pm »
Oh Stasch your so clever.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 11:20:21 pm »
Oh Stasch your so clever.

i thought it was pretty slick  too.
2008 C-14

Offline Lee

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 03:28:00 pm »
Ditto on Man of Blues mods! Sat mine up as his long ago too! Welded some the bolts to keep everything square while in use. Heavily modified bead breaker as well. It paid for itself in auto and bike tire fees quickly then did not use it for a while. Like any tool, aye?

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 12:24:14 am »
What do you use to pry the tire out of the rim?  Mojo lever?  Tire irons?
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 02:06:32 pm »
If it's hot (summer time) tire irons, if it's cold ( fall thru spring) Mojo bar.

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 04:10:36 pm »
I would like to add something to this post. I too have a H/F tire machine. I use it, I like it. I made my own "Mojo blocks" out of a block of some kind of heavy duty plastic. While at a Superbike race near Salt Lake City, years ago, No Mar had a booth set up with girls in bikinis whipping tires on and off of their machines. All I can guess is that those tires had no beads in them. It can be a bitch to get a tire off, and a double bitch to get a new one on. The wheels we have do not have a deep enough well in the center of the rim to give the slack in the bead that is needed.  I helped a friend swap tires on a new BMW, it was worse. So, even with a stand, whether H/F or No Mar, it really helps to have an extra pair of hands on site. The helper can hold the bead down into the well, keep progress made with a tire iron, or just get beer when needed. I guess what I'm saying is that these tire machines don't eliminate all the work. They make a tire change at home doable.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:37:56 pm »
Stasch, what are your blocks made out of?
Like the idea. Will probably make a set for mine.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 10:47:11 pm »
Stasch, what are your blocks made out of?
Like the idea. Will probably make a set for mine.

Ride safe, Ted

the last set I made, again for another fellow, were made from rectangle pieces Cut from a 1/2" thick PolyPro cutting board, that I decided had enough abuse, as it was getting hard to clean even with chlorox...

Cut rectangle shaped pieces that when stacked up vertically, fit perfect into the "recess" on the H/F arms end, drilled thru them all in place, and installed a 1/4" bolt to hold them; then I used a hole saw to create the "notch" to grip the rim edge and sawed the bottom to create a "J" shaped hook. They worked pretty well, never broke yet, and the guy really liked the fact they only cost him a "sixer"... :beerchug:

I never throw away old stuff, those old cutting boards are valuable material... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

I also cut every power cord from any old devices like coffee pots and stuff when I toss them... because I'm so cheap... but, it pays off...
 :)) :))

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 03:13:50 pm »
Im the same way MOB .  I thought what Stach was showing is from No Mar?

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Posi_Clamp_Spools_Extra_Tall_for_BMW_GS_Wheels_p/rp-spools-tall.htm
2008 C-14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 07:23:48 pm »
Im the same way MOB .  I thought what Stach was showing is from No Mar?

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Posi_Clamp_Spools_Extra_Tall_for_BMW_GS_Wheels_p/rp-spools-tall.htm

I see that now that I went back and looked... that setup is cool also...
I just used cheapo stuff I had "in stock"....
 :))

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 05:33:48 pm »
I lucked out Thursday and caught a HF tire changer setup for just moving it out of the guy's garage on Craigslist. Picked it up yesterday and donated a 12 pack of Shiner's Bock the guy said was his beverage of choice.  WOOHOO.   Oh, got a wheel balancer stand, too.

Further frugalness says no to a MOJO or NoMar lever. I've seen a guy on youtube mount a duckhead on a steel pipe & use it on the HF changer. I found some on ebay for $20 that fit a 30M tube/pipe which is the diameter of the HF mount/demount bar. I'm thinking cut the pointing end off and mount the duckhead on it. Anyone tried this?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dia-30mm-Tire-Changer-Nylon-Mount-Demount-Duck-Head-Machine-Plastic-Black-Head/142884345637?hash=item2144921725:g:S9cAAOSwETVZ3ffG

Thanks.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 10:40:59 pm »
Open to idea's..
Can you post a video?
Not totally happy with how my No Mar works.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 12:53:18 am »
you scored duder, i didnt en have to buy beer to get the tire changer base unit from my pal.

get creational on that biotch it will be an enjoyably project-ct, if y got some scrap materials and time..e

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 01:25:27 am »
Ted,

Different mount type but same usage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY2hxS2ygI0&t=615s

Rich, the guy seemed surprised when I asked him by text what his favorite beverage was. I was glad to get him something for giving me a tool worth significantly more.

I have some inch thick nylon plate I will use to make blocks similar to the mojo blocks. I'll snug up some parts that rattle  ::) :D and see what else comes to mind.

But no rush on this as the current tires should last into summer, maybe.  :motonoises: :great:
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline Daboo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 07:04:43 pm »
Anyone ever use these:

Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/motion-pro-beadpro-forged-steel-tire-bead-breaker

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 12:40:48 am »
Sure looks EZ to use in the video.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 12:59:48 am »
Anyone ever use these:

Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/motion-pro-beadpro-forged-steel-tire-bead-breaker

Chris

meh...spend more money.

the breaker on the H/f will break truck tire beads... like as simple as can be... if you ride a dual sport, and have tube tires, well spend $$.. or just buy a plugger kit and a pump, and consider it a day...I've used that tool, it's nice, but in no way do I say buy one unless you intend to use it, and you better use it to see if it works "just for you".. money dump tire  slinginging dddddda....